FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 39 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
BUJU, Pilsungkarate, ALF, old1, Leonar
22928 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
futsaowingchun 3
Ronin1966 3
ergees 2
Victor Smith 1
GojuRyuboy13 1
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
Judo 2014 World Championships Juniors: The Gallery
by ergees
Today at 04:53 PM
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by Leo_E_49
01/24/12 02:58 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by
05/13/07 08:02 AM
Recent Posts
Judo 2014 World Championships Juniors: The Gallery
by ergees
Today at 04:53 PM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
10/22/14 07:20 AM
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by swordy
10/11/14 09:21 AM
The Karate punch
by Ronin1966
10/09/14 03:16 PM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ronin1966
10/08/14 09:22 PM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by AndyLA
10/04/14 10:20 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Forum Stats
22928 Members
36 Forums
35583 Topics
432511 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 ... 11 12 >
Topic Options
#189408 - 09/27/05 09:44 PM sport tkd vs street tkd
TKDFighter89 Offline

People say sport tkd users wouldn't be effective in a real fight.. but I'd like to see someone challenge an olympic medalist. A TKD olympian would own in a fight. BUT.... i do have some questions

What is the difference? Does street tkd require the use of more close range combat with more hand techniques? People say high kicks, but i have rarely seen sparring matches where the combatants have used high roundhouses. So ... what is the difference? Is that difference big?

#189409 - 09/28/05 03:09 AM Re: sport tkd vs street tkd [Re: TKDFighter89]
Supremor Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: UK
Fighter91, you manage some how to ask every annoying question I can think of.

Big difference? Yes, in a street fight you will get killed, whatever your training, you still have only a 50% chance of getting out alive. Ofcourse, you could make it a 100% chance- by running away.

#189410 - 09/28/05 05:48 AM Re: sport tkd vs street tkd [Re: Supremor]
TKDFighter89 Offline

Who's this fighter91? I suggest you stop being rude. I don't know any fighter91 nor have i ever been fighter91.

i was asking what i believed was a worthwhile question. but obviously you're just too damn conceited to be of any help.

#189411 - 09/28/05 07:05 AM Re: sport tkd vs street tkd [Re: TKDFighter89]
TwistingKick Offline

Loc: UK (oxford)
i agree, it was a completely valid question, maybe wrong place wrong post??

i would say in a self defence situation it is not usually wise to kick above belt level unless u are extremely good e.g. the olympic champ. So self defence would tend to be strikes that could get u out of danger and not leave u vulnerable e.g. knee/groin kicks and like u say more emphasis on punches

I think if u want to be able to defend urself using TKD u need to make sure u train things u might not for sport TKD, for example more emphasis on power especially in punches, than speed.

this is IMHO,

#189412 - 09/28/05 07:11 AM Re: sport tkd vs street tkd [Re: TwistingKick]
TKDFighter89 Offline

Thank for you help but another thing.. i agree too many ill-placed neck-head kicks would leave me vulnerable. but wouldnt stomach and chest kicks be effective and fast as well? (i think so IMO). instead of kicking knee and thigh all the time.

SO basically..... to sum it all up... the differences between sport and combat tkd is that combat tkd requires lower kicks and more and stronger hand techniques. right?

#189413 - 09/28/05 07:25 AM Re: sport tkd vs street tkd [Re: TKDFighter89]
paradoxbox Offline
Enthusiast

anyone telling you TKD is inneffective in a fight has never been kicked with the force of a full grown man behind the strike. Your training is as effective as you make it out to be. Some of those flying kicks are enough to put a very large man on his butt even if he was expecting it. All the better if you train to kick without telegraphing.

If you are not training hard enough that you feel you'd put your life on it if you had to, then maybe you should train harder, find a new dojang or find a different hobby. Simple as that really. If you fight a martial art for sport and points, don't be surprised if things don't go as well as you'd like them to because the rules are no longer in place.

#189414 - 09/28/05 07:51 AM Re: sport tkd vs street tkd [Re: paradoxbox]
TwistingKick Offline

Loc: UK (oxford)
i have never been in a serious self defence situation but IMHO jump/flying kicks will not work as there is no way to be non-telegraphic. i say head kicks are going to leave you vulnerable assuming u r against sum1 who is not drunk, drugged up, or a midget. i agree mid-section/ chest kicks and even head kicks could be used if the situation allows it e.g.the attacker bent over from kick to groin etc. but a situation such as this provides u the chance to run away, which i would certainly rather do than throw a head kick.

i can understand your wiewpoint but u would have to be an incredible fighter to be able to throw a head kick/jump kick at an attacker who is fully awake and has a good guard
(and connect)

p.s IMO if u throw a high kick and the attacker blitz's u with punches u will likely be off balanced. This is my take on things

#189415 - 09/28/05 09:03 AM Re: sport tkd vs street tkd [Re: TKDFighter89]
JohnL Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: NY, NY, USA
Quote:

People say sport tkd users wouldn't be effective in a real fight.. but I'd like to see someone challenge an olympic medalist. A TKD olympian would own in a fight.

Your question clearly exhibits a lack of understanding of both self defence and TKD.

An Olympic TKD gut is very good at what he does. That is Olympic TKD and nothing to do with self defence.

Olympic TKD does not;

Punch to the face or defend against them.
Grab
Pull around.
Throw.
Sweep.
Use weapons.
Practice mental awareness from a SD perspective.
Wrestle.
Do groundwork
Use elbows.
Use knees.

I could go on, but won't.

This is not to give Olympic TKD stylists a slagging. You just have to understand what they do and what they don't.

#189416 - 09/28/05 12:32 PM Re: sport tkd vs street tkd [Re: TKDFighter89]
matxtx Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: england
the patterns or tuls have great self defence techniques in them.open hand strikes,knife hand strikes,knees,kicks ,low middle, high,elbows,eye strikes,forearm strikes ,,etc etc.also grabs and holds and locks and takedowns though you might need to be shown how to turn a low block into a lock or takedown for example or that a blocks also a strike for example.and stuff like that.all done with power.and abbreviated for reality.thats that side.
then theres the sport side.youd get footwork from that and distance so its needed.

Edited by matxtx (09/28/05 12:35 PM)

#189417 - 09/28/05 12:36 PM Re: sport tkd vs street tkd [Re: TKDFighter89]
Supremor Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: UK
Quote:

Who's this fighter91? I suggest you stop being rude. I don't know any fighter91 nor have i ever been fighter91.

i was asking what i believed was a worthwhile question. but obviously you're just too damn conceited to be of any help.

Awww man. I'm so sorry! Getting your name wrong was a daft mistake of mine and I'm sorry if you felt my post was rude- it was(again sorry!).

However, I would stand by my point that there is no way you are going to radically improve your chances in a street fight if you use TKD. One of the frequent posters on the forum, Leo, introduced me to http://www.nononsenseselfdefense.com/

A brilliant site which confirmed my suspicions about street fighting and MAs. The fact is that if you get into a street fight, you either deserve to get beaten up(not using your noggin!), or you're being very silly to stay around. People who get into street fights know all too well, that they don't have huge chances on a level playing field- so they'll use every cheat in the book to win. My advice- don't go there!

If you're talking about differences between "more realistic sparring types," and WTF sparring, then I would agree that low kicks are mostly the order of the day. Jump kicks and high kicks can be used, but you must only use them when there is a completely oppurtune moment- the opponent is stunned etc. I think the low side kick to the knee cap is the best kick in your TKD arsenal, since it has great range and attacks a very sensitive area.

Hope that mankes up for my earlier mistake.

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 ... 11 12 >

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga