FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 34 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bartfast, ZapEm, AndyLA, danacohenn, ksusanc
22906 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 6
AndyLA 5
Ed_Morris 4
futsaowingchun 3
ergees 2
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
New Topics
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
Chi Sao demonstration
by futsaowingchun
08/14/14 10:57 PM
Decent Fight channel
by FrankyFruits
08/07/14 09:19 PM
2014 European Championships Cadets Athens: Videos
by ergees
08/07/14 10:00 AM
Life goes on....
by Dobbersky
08/07/14 05:59 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Recent Posts
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ed_Morris
08/26/14 09:58 PM
The Karate punch
by Ed_Morris
08/26/14 09:27 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by VDJ
08/15/14 05:46 PM
Chi Sao demonstration
by futsaowingchun
08/14/14 10:57 PM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Dobbersky
08/11/14 05:03 AM
Decent Fight channel
by FrankyFruits
08/07/14 09:19 PM
2014 European Championships Cadets Athens: Videos
by ergees
08/07/14 10:00 AM
Forum Stats
22906 Members
36 Forums
35572 Topics
432478 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 15 of 18 < 1 2 ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 >
Topic Options
#189288 - 11/07/06 06:26 PM Re: Fighting girls in competition. [Re: TheFinalOption]
pepto_bismol Offline
infinite kudos

The question was about tournaments... not about training in class.

#189289 - 11/07/06 06:56 PM Re: Fighting girls in competition. [Re: pepto_bismol]
TheFinalOption Offline

Loc: Colorado
No, the question was not about tournaments. Re-read it. What the question WAS about was how people feel about hitting girls in martial arts in general. The OP merely used the tournament as an example to illustrate his concept. And I wouldn't say hitting in my class is any less intense than it is in many competitions, if you were insinuating that. Personally, I do not currently plan on fighting in tournaments, as I can do the same thing with much less BS in a simple sparring class.

#189290 - 11/07/06 09:14 PM Re: Fighting girls in competition. [Re: funstick5000]
pepto_bismol Offline
infinite kudos

Quote:

No, the question was not about tournaments. Re-read it. What the question WAS about was how people feel about hitting girls in martial arts in general. The OP merely used the tournament as an example to illustrate his concept. And I wouldn't say hitting in my class is any less intense than it is in many competitions, if you were insinuating that. Personally, I do not currently plan on fighting in tournaments, as I can do the same thing with much less BS in a simple sparring class.

Fighting in class is way less intense then competitions, and since you seem to have never competed in a tournament... you can not determine whether fighting in the dojo is as rough as fighting in a tournament.

Now are you sure he meant in "general"?

and the thread is named "fighting girls in competition"

hmm.... maybe it is you that needs to re-read it
Never in his original post does he say in "general"
Quote:

i couldn't bring myself to hit her from the saying that had been pounded into me for years. has anyone else had this problem?

(and if it wasn't for her i would have been silver not joint bronze lol grrr )

#189291 - 11/07/06 09:32 PM Re: Fighting girls in competition. [Re: pepto_bismol]
clmibb Offline
Veteran

Loc: South Texas, US
I personally have no problem hitting girls in class or in competition. I'll go all out on them

Casey

#189292 - 11/07/06 10:51 PM Re: Fighting girls in competition. [Re: pepto_bismol]
TheFinalOption Offline

I'm not sure what you mean by tournament fighting being "way more intense." From what I've heard a lot of tournaments involve point sparring. I don't see how point sparring, especially with lots of gear, is supposed to be "more intense" than continuous semi/full contact sparring with minimal pads. Sure, there's more pressure to succeed, but the actual combat itself probably isn't more intense, or at least not more painful. Also usually tournaments involve skill and/or weight classes. That's a bit different from fighting black belts twice your size. Really I think it depends on how you do things in your dojo, along with the terms of the tournament. Obviously high level tournaments with a lot of contact can be pretty brutal. I've seen some pretty wicked looking tournaments, along with a lot of really pathetic looking tournaments.

Also, please note that competition doesn't have to mean "tournament." As far as I'm concerned, any and every fight between two determined parties is a "competition."

You might think I'm just an uneducated, inexperienced noob, but you come off as rather arrogant ("I fight in tournaments, and am more hardcore than thou")

#189293 - 11/08/06 10:23 AM Re: Fighting girls in competition. [Re: TheFinalOption]
pepto_bismol Offline
infinite kudos

Quote:

I'm not sure what you mean by tournament fighting being "way more intense." From what I've heard a lot of tournaments involve point sparring. I don't see how point sparring, especially with lots of gear, is supposed to be "more intense" than continuous semi/full contact sparring with minimal pads. Sure, there's more pressure to succeed, but the actual combat itself probably isn't more intense, or at least not more painful. Also usually tournaments involve skill and/or weight classes. That's a bit different from fighting black belts twice your size. Really I think it depends on how you do things in your dojo, along with the terms of the tournament. Obviously high level tournaments with a lot of contact can be pretty brutal. I've seen some pretty wicked looking tournaments, along with a lot of really pathetic looking tournaments.

Also, please note that competition doesn't have to mean "tournament." As far as I'm concerned, any and every fight between two determined parties is a "competition."

You might think I'm just an uneducated, inexperienced noob, but you come off as rather arrogant ("I fight in tournaments, and am more hardcore than thou")

I'm just saying that I don't think one can make a fair judgement about something before they actually experience it.

And do you play soccer, or basketball or any other sport?

Sure, practice can be hard.

But the games are where you really need to be on the top of your game, and get to really test yourself.

+ when you fight people in your school you are used to how they fight, and are comfortable fighting them.

In a tournament you never know how good the other person is,

making it that much more interesting.

#189294 - 11/09/06 12:05 AM Re: Fighting girls in competition. [Re: pepto_bismol]
TheFinalOption Offline

True, tournaments do have a degree of unpredictability that you can't get in a dojo. Yes, I did play soccer a while back (before MA.) And, although we really had to struggle in games, practice scrimages also presented their own sets of challenges- like, for example, the fact that many of our practice games were in pouring rain and other conditions that would ordinarily get regular games cancelled. I guess my point is that while a tournament may have more of a certain kind of intensity, it's quite possible that a dojo encounter could have more of a different kind of intensity. You might not know at all what the guy on the competition floor is capable of, but sometimes ignorance is bliss compared to knowing the other guy broke someone's face the last class, and now its your turn...

#189295 - 11/09/06 12:21 AM Re: Fighting girls in competition. [Re: pepto_bismol]
TheFinalOption Offline

I might also add that due to the belt-centric nature of tournaments, right now I probably couldn't even get into one if I wanted to, and if I could I'd almost certainly be undermatched. I don't have patience for learning katas (which I view as largely pointless and a waste of my training time) and put my emphasis on kumite instead, and as such, my belt is white. I feel I have the skill necessary to take on higher belts if I was allowed, though...so my not being in tournaments is just as much a product of the structure of the MA system as my own will...

#189296 - 11/09/06 09:36 AM Re: Fighting girls in competition. [Re: pacifist]
celest Offline

Loc: Singapore
Yup, I believe in that too.

#189297 - 11/09/06 11:24 AM Re: Fighting girls in competition. [Re: TeK9]
celest Offline

Loc: Singapore
Quote:

But it just seems that woman are far less intimidated by grappling than they are with striking an opponenet. Because of my observations I'm ofthe opinion that woman would benefit far more from a grappling school than from a striking school. Does anyone agree? Or has anone seen similar observations?

Hi TeK9,

Thank you. I was just thinking about this (see quote) yesterday after I went for the punching, kicking and throws training for my sport ju-jitsu class yesterday night. I am fine with kicks and throws, but I'm uncomfortable with striking. I have no idea why really, but maybe it's because I'm not used to the punching motion at all.

As for grappling/groundwork, I usually train and spar with my sparring partner (we're the only two regular girls for a few months now) and personally, I feel that I enjoy groundwork more than upper body training. One of my Senseis always says that the girls usually enjoy groundwork more because they're more flexible and it's more practical in a rape situation, if it ever happens (hopefully NOT!).

I have done a little groundwork kata with white/yellow-belt guys before and I felt -very- uncomfortable, especially in the guard positions and even the mounted position. I could tell that they were uncomfortable too.

I'd still go for sport ju-jitsu which has both striking and groundwork components, rather than BJJ, which I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) focuses more on grappling. Who knows, I might need to punch a guy if he comes too close to me and it's not feasible to do a throw or kick. Heh.

Then again, that's just my take. =)

Page 15 of 18 < 1 2 ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki, Supremor, tkd_high_green 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga