FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 63 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Shanktotheright, royal, bobgalle100011, agenonline, TooNice
22862 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 3
THEFOREVERMAN 3
MattJ 2
royal 2
Marcus Charles 1
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
New Topics
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by Marcus Charles
03/24/14 04:39 PM
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Dobbersky
03/20/14 05:45 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
AKK kata question
by
09/04/05 01:27 PM
Recent Posts
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:22 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:20 AM
AKK kata question
by MattJ
04/04/14 05:45 PM
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Forum Stats
22862 Members
36 Forums
35546 Topics
432378 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 3 of 18 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 17 18 >
Topic Options
#189168 - 10/02/05 09:28 PM Re: Fighting girls in competition. [Re: VS_Karateka]
kenposan Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Columbus, Ohio
I have always adjusted my contact to the level of my sparring partner, regardless of sex or rank. I too had difficulty when I first started sparring women because of how I was brought up. But then I had I just followed my tenet from above and took my cue from my partner. Some women don't want to go hard so I hold back a bit. Some want to go hard so I do. Our school used lots of protective gear so that made me feel a bit better.

#189169 - 10/02/05 10:29 PM Re: Fighting girls in competition. [Re: funstick5000]
vashtheblade Offline

A enemy is an enemy no matter what. Just give it your all because once you enter a ring you are not a man or a woman just a fighter nothing more nothing less.

#189170 - 10/03/05 10:14 AM Re: Fighting girls in competition. [Re: vashtheblade]
Ives Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: the Netherlands
I was in a gymclass at school, I guess I was about 15 then). We had some sort of boxing instruction. (It was one of those theme classes. The other time we went horsebackriding. Haha.)
I had to box a girl with boxing experience. She was about my size. (I on the other hand didn't have any MA experience at that time whatsoever.) She came hard on me, so I gave what I had to give. She told me I did pretty good. In the beginning I also didn't know how hard I had to hit her. At the end I had to hit her quite hard.

Gender didn't matter at the end. (In the begin I did. But that was only because I didn't know what she could take.)

Just fight like you would anybody. She attends to the competition, so do you. You know what you are there for and you know what to expect. So does she.

Regards!

#189171 - 10/03/05 01:36 PM Re: Fighting girls in competition. [Re: funstick5000]
onb Offline

Loc: Canada
When I started in TKD, I wasn't sure what level of contact was acceptable either. I was still a yellow stripe and I was sparring against a young lady red belt (about 17 I think). Well, I had my gentleman training ingrained in my head and was up until then always told that beginner sparring was non-contact until you learn some control. Well, this was my first experience against a senior belt... they didn't have the same no contact rule. Just as we began the spar, we usually tough gloves before you start just to show respect and kinda signal that your ready... so, we bopped gloves, I steped back a bit to get my spacing a bit and to try to figure out how to proceed. As I hopped back, WHACK! Something hit me in the side of the head. I looked at the lady I was sparring and she was still a step or two in front of me in the ready position looking all the world like she had never moved and was waiting for the match to begin. So I thought, "maybe the isntructor smacked me in the back of the head with his padded baseball bat"... looked to the left, nope not there, looked to the right, there he is... 10 meters away... "how did he get all the way over there?" So I look back at my opponent and ask her, "did you just hit me?" She all the sudden looked mortified! "Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to kick you so hard" At this point, I burst out laughing. It was about the funniest thing ever. She kicked me so hard and so fast that I didn't even see it coming or going. THATS when I realized what I had to look forward to. I realized that if I let up or lightened up even a bit, she was gonna hand me my butt on a platter.

She still kicks me in the head all the time but, at least I can see it coming now and sometimes block it. Trust me, the ladies you meet in MA's can school you just as fast as anyone. Faster sometimes. It's exactly when you let down your guard or underestimate your opponent that you get kicked in the head.

onb (Oh 'n' Bee)

#189172 - 10/04/05 04:33 AM Re: Fighting girls in competition. [Re: funstick5000]
Chanters Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Manchester, UK
It annoys the hell out of me when some males go easy on me because I'm female, I feel like I'm being cheated out of a decent practice. Sure there are some others who will practice with me the same they would a male and I appreciate that.

However, I feel very hypocritical because when I practice with some of the older women in the class I take it easy on them although one of them does suffer with a bad knee so I can't throw her like most of the others. Yet again there is a woman of a similar age to myself who I feel comforatble throwing around no problem.

In reality, an attacker isn't going to go easy on a girl just because of her gender. And if your female fellow practitioners are training for self-defence, you should treat them as you would a male.

#189173 - 10/04/05 06:13 AM Re: Fighting girls in competition. [Re: Chanters]
Belnick Offline
Veteran

Loc: SWEDEN
Quote:

It annoys the hell out of me when some males go easy on me because I'm female, I feel like I'm being cheated out of a decent practice. Sure there are some others who will practice with me the same they would a male and I appreciate that.

However, I feel very hypocritical because when I practice with some of the older women in the class I take it easy on them although one of them does suffer with a bad knee so I can't throw her like most of the others. Yet again there is a woman of a similar age to myself who I feel comforatble throwing around no problem.

In reality, an attacker isn't going to go easy on a girl just because of her gender. And if your female fellow practitioners are training for self-defence, you should treat them as you would a male.

what is your weight ?

I'm 211pound and 6.6"

and when I'm gonna sparr with a girl that is 5.3-5.5 and weight 110-132 it feel very awkward, especially if it is wrestling, considering I can get a grown man to tap with a normal bearhug....

so yea I will take it very easy on girl

unless I get attacked by one of those from the bond movies

#189174 - 10/04/05 06:57 AM Re: Fighting girls in competition. [Re: Belnick]
Chanters Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Manchester, UK
As I practice aikido we don't spar and in instances like you say, I think whether male or female and of a smaller build you'd take it easier on them anyway because of your sheer size! Or at least in practice mode I hope you would! You don't want to injure them now do you.

#189175 - 10/04/05 01:23 PM Re: Fighting girls in competition. [Re: funstick5000]
Neko456 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Midwest City, Ok, USA
I never intended this thread to be about the psych of women in self defense or shooting people to protect their kids or this would be in the self defense forum

My quote on that topic was referring to thats were the real fighter (inside/heart) is once you have a woman fight like shes fighting for someone she loves and that person is HER. You got a real tigeress on your hand.

I'm 6'3 225lbs (her teacher) this same Nidan 5'6 135lbs has knocked me on my a$$ with a spin back thrust kick fighting multiples, I'm talking about flying and out breath when I landed. Thats what I call a good technique no hard feelings, in these situation U gotta do me, before I do U.

And not just me if she makes it to her hair brush/yawara, Men give her space. Are gonna rush in a get her!, No I'm not gonna do it, I thought it was your turn! .

The students bow deep when she takes over classes, because they know their gonna sweat, she extra tough on weak men r women because she knows what they gonna have to face later. She's been knocked down and will head butt the grion if you're standing over her. She will use anything to survive.

This girl can FIGHT, because she knows how to fight men bigger women have less chance, because she grabs hair and punches even when sparring you better pin it up, men or women. I'd say she loves her self a lot. And don't care much for people that may attack her.

#189176 - 10/05/05 08:45 AM Re: Fighting girls in competition. [Re: Neko456]
Belnick Offline
Veteran

Loc: SWEDEN
Quote:

I never intended this thread to be about the psych of women in self defense or shooting people to protect their kids or this would be in the self defense forum

My quote on that topic was referring to thats were the real fighter (inside/heart) is once you have a woman fight like shes fighting for someone she loves and that person is HER. You got a real tigeress on your hand.

I'm 6'3 225lbs (her teacher) this same Nidan 5'6 135lbs has knocked me on my a$$ with a spin back thrust kick fighting multiples, I'm talking about flying and out breath when I landed. Thats what I call a good technique no hard feelings, in these situation U gotta do me, before I do U.

And not just me if she makes it to her hair brush/yawara, Men give her space. Are gonna rush in a get her!, No I'm not gonna do it, I thought it was your turn! .

The students bow deep when she takes over classes, because they know their gonna sweat, she extra tough on weak men r women because she knows what they gonna have to face later. She's been knocked down and will head butt the grion if you're standing over her. She will use anything to survive.

This girl can FIGHT, because she knows how to fight men bigger women have less chance, because she grabs hair and punches even when sparring you better pin it up, men or women. I'd say she loves her self a lot. And don't care much for people that may attack her.

umm ? how do u keep it from getting serious ???
if she goes on like that, how is the other student know that they should not go all out and using elbows and strikes to temple etc... ?

I mean , it is training, so it is nice to have 50% of your students in the hospital every day or so ?

#189177 - 10/06/05 07:13 AM Re: Fighting girls in competition. [Re: funstick5000]
otobeawanker Offline

Loc: CANADA
I would never go easy on someone in competition regardless of their sex, creed or age.

Vice versa

If someone took it easy on me in competition because they were at a perceived advantage. I would consider it dishonourable and I would be greatly offended.

Page 3 of 18 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 17 18 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki, Supremor, tkd_high_green 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga