FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 36 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
LeroyCFischer, JadeKing, Beefcake, WesJones, simonajones111
22933 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
charlie 2
futsaowingchun 2
harlan 1
Matakiant 1
ergees 1
November
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
New Topics
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Siu Lin Tao-3rd section applications
by futsaowingchun
11/13/14 06:48 PM
Screen fighting course UK December 2014
by charlie
11/11/14 04:09 PM
Siu Lin Tao-1st section Pak Sao explanations
by futsaowingchun
11/09/14 10:30 PM
I spy kata bunkai..
by GojuRyuboy13
10/29/14 08:28 AM
Judo 2014 World Championships Juniors: The Gallery
by ergees
10/25/14 04:53 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
MA style video library
by
03/22/06 03:18 PM
Recent Posts
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Siu Lin Tao-3rd section applications
by futsaowingchun
11/13/14 06:48 PM
Screen fighting course UK December 2014
by charlie
11/11/14 04:09 PM
MA style video library
by charlie
11/11/14 04:05 PM
Siu Lin Tao-1st section Pak Sao explanations
by futsaowingchun
11/09/14 10:30 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/29/14 10:01 PM
I spy kata bunkai..
by GojuRyuboy13
10/29/14 08:28 AM
Judo 2014 World Championships Juniors: The Gallery
by ergees
10/25/14 04:53 PM
Forum Stats
22933 Members
36 Forums
35589 Topics
432521 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 2 of 18 < 1 2 3 4 ... 17 18 >
Topic Options
#189158 - 09/29/05 01:36 PM Re: Fighting girls in competition. [Re: horizon]
Neko456 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Midwest City, Ok, USA
I understand fully, if you are not taken seriously it wasting your time. Its like beinging knee deep water practicing how not to drown, you got to be tested in order to know how to improve or what works. If you just gotta stand up or not be pushed, you never feel the real threat of being underwater.

I agree with you totally. I take women seriously. I remember a burgular/crook telling me the scraiest thing to him was being between a armed woman and her crying baby in the other bed room. A man will order you around, kick when you down, and hold you for the Cops.

A mother in the same situation will Shot/Stab, KILL YOU!!! and go get her baby. No questions asked. No ego trips! Its in a women to protect the people she loves, you just got to get them to look in the mirror and u have a warrior.

Edited by Neko456 (09/29/05 01:40 PM)

#189159 - 09/30/05 08:39 AM Re: Fighting girls in competition. [Re: funstick5000]
Belnick Offline
Veteran

Loc: SWEDEN
Quote:

I
From a young age most boys are told not to hit girls.

yea and and they are also told to never kick a man that is down, how many in here follow that

what was the sport ?
not heard of a full contact yet that allow women and men in the same class

could be fun to see Vladimir Klitshko vs Laila Ali or something :P

it feels weird to sparr with a girl, but if it was a competition she could only blame her self for entering

#189160 - 09/30/05 10:50 AM Re: Fighting girls in competition. [Re: Neko456]
horizon Offline

Loc: London
I remember a burgular/crook telling me the scraiest thing to him was being between a armed woman and her crying baby in the other bed room. A man will order you around, kick when you down, and hold you for the Cops.

A mother in the same situation will Shot/Stab, KILL YOU!!! and go get her baby. No questions asked. No ego trips! Its in a women to protect the people she loves, you just got to get them to look in the mirror and u have a warrior.

Some call it hysteria, some call it instinct

There is a lot of discussion going on about women and MA at the forum at the moment. I must admit that I strongly feel the need to comment on some of the things people say, whne it is suggested that women sometimes are treated differently (in favor of them) which leads to frustrations for some guys. What I am trying to say is that not every woman wants to be treated differently, or be taken easy on. In some cases it could even be the other way around, sometimes women have to work harder to show that they are serious, they don't want people (men) taking it easy on them because they are women, and to earn respect from some men and be taken seriously (read some, because as not every woman is the same, the same for men of course).

I have no intention on blaming guys for not taking me and other women serious, there are heaps of men who do , but enough of them still regard the MA world as a mens world, where women don't fit it, unfortunately.

#189161 - 09/30/05 10:59 AM Re: Fighting girls in competition. [Re: Neko456]
harlan Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Amherst, MA
Comment only: competition situation should not be compared to the street. If one is going to explore the possibility of a gender specific mindset in an actual situation...it should be a different thread.

#189162 - 09/30/05 11:53 AM Re: Fighting girls in competition. [Re: harlan]
horizon Offline

Loc: London
comment taken into consideration

#189163 - 09/30/05 04:32 PM Re: Fighting girls in competition. [Re: horizon]
VS_Karateka Offline

Loc: England
Personally I get frustrated when I have to tell guys they can hit me I don't mind.Lets face it how else would I learn if I didn't get hit once in a While!
Oh by the way no offence taken it's good to hear both sides but I go to the dojo to learn Karate not origami, just go for it!!

#189164 - 09/30/05 10:36 PM Re: Fighting girls in competition. [Re: VS_Karateka]
nekogami13 V2.0 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Texas, USA
You step on the mat with me-you have no sex(especially after I am through with you ).

Your gender is irrelevant. You have only one purpose-to help me train and become better. I expect whoever I am on the mat with to view me the same way.

#189165 - 10/01/05 01:25 AM Re: Fighting girls in competition. [Re: VS_Karateka]
UofM Shorin Ryu Offline
Resident Forum Breakdancer

Quote:

Personally I get frustrated when I have to tell guys they can hit me I don't mind.Lets face it how else would I learn if I didn't get hit once in a While!
Oh by the way no offence taken it's good to hear both sides but I go to the dojo to learn Karate not origami, just go for it!!

Unfortunately most of us boys have been brought up to behave like "gentlemen", which means giving the utmost courtesy and consideration to the female species.

We're working against basically the backbone of our paternal education system, and trying to un-taboo the idea that hitting girls is ALWAYS considered disrespectful, regardless of situation.

Please be patient with us, we'll eventually stop feeling awkward and just start kicking your a$$

#189166 - 10/01/05 06:36 AM Re: Fighting girls in competition. [Re: Belnick]
funstick5000 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: West Yorkshire, England
Quote:

Quote:

I
From a young age most boys are told not to hit girls.

yea and and they are also told to never kick a man that is down, how many in here follow that

what was the sport ?
not heard of a full contact yet that allow women and men in the same class

could be fun to see Vladimir Klitshko vs Laila Ali or something :P

it feels weird to sparr with a girl, but if it was a competition she could only blame her self for entering

it was a karate tournement, which was about 1/2 contact (no hits to the face or groin - a hit to the side of the head would mean a penalty point) we also didn't wear pads we only wore very thin foam back-of-the-hand protectors and protectors to cover the shins and top of the feet.

i was also about 12 or 13 at the time and we had to just tap the opponent with a little force to make the hit notice able. i was also blue belt at the time after about 2 and half years of training in shukokai karate.

i never intended this thread to be about the psych of women in self defense or shooting people to protect their kids or this would be in the self defense forum

#189167 - 10/01/05 10:11 AM Re: Fighting girls in competition. [Re: UofM Shorin Ryu]
VS_Karateka Offline

Loc: England
Quote:

Quote:

Unfortunately most of us boys have been brought up to behave like "gentlemen", which means giving the utmost courtesy and consideration to the female species.

We're working against basically the backbone of our paternal education system, and trying to un-taboo the idea that hitting girls is ALWAYS considered disrespectful, regardless of situation.

Please be patient with us, we'll eventually stop feeling awkward and just start kicking your a$$

Point of view noted, I bow graciously and thank you for you ''utmost courtesy and consideration'' Just hit me or I'll hit you first!!!

Page 2 of 18 < 1 2 3 4 ... 17 18 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki, Supremor, tkd_high_green 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga