FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 39 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
old1, Leonar, ManLar, Vimido, raya
22925 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
futsaowingchun 4
Ronin1966 3
GojuRyuboy13 1
Matakiant 1
cxt 1
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
Yesterday at 10:32 AM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Martial News
by Matakiant
09/23/14 06:42 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by Leo_E_49
01/24/12 02:58 AM
Recent Posts
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
Yesterday at 10:32 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by swordy
10/11/14 09:21 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by cxt
10/10/14 10:08 AM
The Karate punch
by Ronin1966
10/09/14 03:16 PM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ronin1966
10/08/14 09:22 PM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by AndyLA
10/04/14 10:20 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Forum Stats
22925 Members
36 Forums
35582 Topics
432509 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#188555 - 10/29/08 09:08 PM Re: Native American Martial Arts [Re: trevek]
dandjurdjevic Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Australia
Yes, I did forget India.

As for wrestling, I was principally thinking about striking arts; almost every society has a wrestling tradition. Whether it qualfies as a martial art or a form of competition is another story.

Certainly the concept of "martial ARTS" (particularly striking ones) seems unique to East Asia - principally China and Japan, but with similar (less known) arts in India and Southeast Asia.

I tend to be a bit skeptical of claims of "rediscovering" a "karate-like" art practised in ancient Egypt etc. Chances are they are an attempt to graft an East Asian concept onto something like a traditional sport or dance (eg. Morris Dancing).

Last I checked, there aren't too may heiroglyphs of people dressed in gi doing Pinan kata...

#188556 - 11/07/08 06:14 AM Re: Native American Martial Arts [Re: dandjurdjevic]
bassaiguy Offline

Loc: Maine, USA
I suspect that most examples of NA martial arts are ritualistic, rather than practical. For example, the Penobscots of Maine still practice a war-club dance and have a club carving tradition. However, the last recorded instance of a club being used in combat was in the mid-1800s. Most clubs are (and have been for some time) made for the tourist trade. The only time I've seen the club dance performed was by an elementary school group. Keep in mind that I'm not Penobscot and that even these traditions are only taught to tribal members. There might be other examples, which are not as well known outsde the tribe, as well. Keep in mind also, most NA was devoted to subsistence activities. Ritualized warfare required significant material surplus to support and institutionalize.

http://seisui.weebly.com

#188557 - 11/10/08 08:06 AM Re: Native American Martial Arts [Re: bassaiguy]
Ritual Offline

Loc: Florida
i think it depends on your definition of a "martial art", i was taught to believe that a martial art is a way of warfare, not to be confused with a "self-defense" system of sorts, but in a more literal sense of the word itself, "martial" which means warlike, roughly..

i think any civilization that has conducted any sort of warfare on a regular basis, does indeed have a "martial art", by definition, if they teach young warriors how to fight and kill another man, either with a weapon or unarmed, that is a martial art, no?

i have native american ancestry, i was given little bits of advice by my grandfather on how to use a hatchet as a weapon against another armed person, it was just sort of a playful word of wisdom, if you will, something that he either learned first hand, or was handed down.. this to me is the source of a martial art, at its very core, sure.. maybe some civilizations emphasized more on this "art" turning it into an actual art even, it grew and evolved into something much larger and technical, having a lot of rules and philosophy, though each one seems to differ slightly

however, i do think one thing was relevant to all those soldiers and warriors on the battlefield fighting and dying, none of the rules and philosophy mattered, you simply fight and kill or die, i believe that is the approach some civilizations like native americans took, just do what works, i have no doubt that they trained to be more efficient on the battlefield with the weapons they had, and they probably developed some form of technique with these weapons

so.. yes, they had some type of martial art, by definition, it was the result of lifetimes spent fighting wars, information handed down on how to kill better, basically lol

#188558 - 11/10/08 01:03 PM Re: Native American Martial Arts [Re: ShikataGaNai]
JAMJTX Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Fort Wayne, IN
Quote:

is there a such thing? and if so, are they taught anywhere to the public?

Yes they exist. But if you go to some place that is teaching them publicly you are probably going to get ripped off.

All cultures have some form of martial arts. Native Americans used bow and arrow, knife, spears and other weapons. I was told many years ago, long before "Chief Roman" appeard teaching his version American Kenpo as a Native art, that the Apache had a kicking art.

Your best bet is to perhaps find someone who is a real Native American, perhaps a historian living on a reservation, and ask them what kind of training a young male went through to prepare for war.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga