FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 56 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Shanktotheright, royal, bobgalle100011, agenonline, TooNice
22862 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 3
THEFOREVERMAN 3
royal 2
MattJ 2
SoulJah22 1
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
New Topics
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by Marcus Charles
03/24/14 04:39 PM
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Dobbersky
03/20/14 05:45 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
AKK kata question
by
09/04/05 01:27 PM
Recent Posts
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by THEFOREVERMAN
Yesterday at 08:22 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by THEFOREVERMAN
Yesterday at 08:20 AM
AKK kata question
by MattJ
04/04/14 05:45 PM
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Forum Stats
22862 Members
36 Forums
35546 Topics
432378 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#188350 - 09/23/05 10:20 PM Re: Two New Sparring Videos and some questions [Re: tookien1]
Eric4444 Offline

Thank you all for your advice so far its been very helpful. I try to use my hands more when I spar, its hard to get out of a kicking habit though. Plus, my instructor gets made when I do alot of punches, he thinks I should stick with the "traditional" Tkd way and do mostly kicks. When I'm sparring someone more on my level, I do alot more dodging. I was a little more on the aggressive side with my brother to show technique on the video. Normally I like to stay on the defensive, evading my opponent as much as possible. What I have been trying to do, as some people have said I should, is learn more to deflect my opponents attack, rather then block it straight on.
About blocking with my leg, its weird, but I always had it stuck in my head that that was dangerous, but now I really have no idea why, since I've seen it done in Muay Thai matches many times. I don't know, just weird, I never put two and two together lol. I would really like to film some things in class tomorrow, hopefully it will be allowed. I'll be sure to work on everything everyone said, thank you again.

#188351 - 09/23/05 10:30 PM Re: Two New Sparring Videos and some questions [Re: Eric4444]
Foolsgold Offline
Veteran

Loc: South Lyon, MI, USA
Are you ITF or WTF?

If WTF (like myself), I would work on the speed of your kicks. Also, work on blocking with your forearms and nearer to your body. Later, you can work on mixing it up a bit.

Is Leo around?

#188352 - 09/23/05 10:31 PM Re: Two New Sparring Videos and some questions [Re: Eric4444]
tookien1 Offline

Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
"Plus, my instructor gets made when I do alot of punches, he thinks I should stick with the "traditional" Tkd way and do mostly kicks"

Wow, I can't believe your TKD instructor gets mad at you, that sure sucks. But remember were always talking about how its the MA'st not the MA'rt. Your the MA'st so when your in studio boundaries, do it the way your instructor tells you. Then, on your own or with your brother train the way you feel is right and as said previously, get outside ideas on methods of training. You'll never get enough because there is so much to learn.

tookien1

#188353 - 09/23/05 10:44 PM Re: Two New Sparring Videos and some questions [Re: tookien1]
Eric4444 Offline

Well, I would like to see how things work with less kickiing, and more dodging and deflecting. It is very unfortunate that he gets mad if someone doesnt kick enough, he even gets made if you dodge too much and dont block or attack. However, tomorrow, I'm going to try what feels right to me. Some of the stuff that people have suggested here to me, and some of the stuff that I've wanted to try. He may yell, but I think its worth it to find out what works for me against someone of a higher rank. Like I said before, my school isnt close to the best, but its the best within my driving range. They teach some good stuff, as you saw in the self defense videos, even though I need to add in my own stuff to make it realistic, but some of the stuff I don't like at all. For instance, I was sparring a higher rank the other night, and I grabbed his wrist, and punched him a few times in the ribs with my other hand. He didn't do anything, and I looked up, at this "higher rank" who is a 30 something year old, 6'4 giant, and he was just looking down at me, not doing anything as I held and punched him, he then shouted "He's holding me thats against the rules!" And my instructor yelled at me and made me do push ups.
I just need to work hard on my own, alot of weight lifting, cardio, bag work, etc, and just keep the one wonderful thought in my head.....9 months till Florida.

#188354 - 09/23/05 10:53 PM Re: Two New Sparring Videos and some questions [Re: Eric4444]
hedkikr Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Southern California, USA
Eric...

Normally I refrain from instructing on line & would tell you to consult your instructor but I'll offer this one bit of feedback:

Your kicks are just leg-lifting exercizes. When you kick, you just drop your legs, you never snap them back before letting your foot return to the ground.

This limits you to one kick per leg-lift - you'll never deliver a double kick or feint-kick/kick combination w/ your current technique.

Also, w/o snapping the foot back, your leg "hangs" in space longer allowing your opponent to ceize the leg & take you down.

You seem like a good kid, eager to learn & confident to display your skills so take it or leave it, there it is.

BTW: No offence but I'll bet you'd do better w/ another instructor.

#188355 - 09/23/05 10:58 PM Re: Two New Sparring Videos and some questions [Re: Eric4444]
tookien1 Offline

Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Good thinking, above all don't get discouraged. And try not to go in the path that most of us have gone through -- the style is more effective vs. the other style krap. Your TKD has great usefullness, and you've learned a great deal not worth giving up.

tookien1

#188356 - 09/23/05 11:09 PM Re: Two New Sparring Videos and some questions [Re: Eric4444]
butterfly Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Torrance, CA
Eric,

When you were told not to grab, well these are "house" rules that you are playing in and will force you into the stylistic interpretations of how you normally spar and practice.

TKD is primarily kicking and, I think, most schools teach it this way. This means a more focused atmosphere for kicking and an environment disallowing those techniques that take away from this focus.

Sport is sport, but you have to wrap your head around what you are being taught and why. You chose this school and thus you have to understand the ramifications of this teaching. Other schools will teach in a different manner where grabbing, punching, and take downs occur. This then requires a different set of skills.

In any case, don't get down on yourself. It was nice of you to share your videos...and this means that you have to be willing to take these criticisms and hopefully learn from them.

Good luck in all your MA endeavors.

#188357 - 09/24/05 09:00 AM Re: Two New Sparring Videos and some questions [Re: Eric4444]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
Eric -

Nice job with the videos. You were actually pretty good about keeping your hands up. Nice combos, and good use of your kicks to close the gap and set up your hands.

I agree with some of the other responders on a few points:

* I would work a bit more on retracting strikes quickly. In a clinch or grappling situation, you will get trapped if you leave your strikes hanging for too long.

* Get your brother to keep his hands up. He will get mauled if he doesn't protect his head.

Keep up the good work.

#188358 - 09/25/05 04:08 PM Re: Two New Sparring Videos and some questions [Re: Eric4444]
Eric4444 Offline

I posted the videos on martial arts planet and someone said that I look like i bought some equipment off ebay, watcheds some kung fu movies and then tried to copy it, he said he's seen people at his dojang with 2 months of training who are much better.

#188359 - 09/25/05 04:44 PM Re: Two New Sparring Videos and some questions [Re: Eric4444]
UofM Shorin Ryu Offline
Resident Forum Breakdancer

I wouldn't worry too much about jerks like that. Overall I've been training longer than you, but you are MUCH better than I ever was.
Speaking of, I met some TKD and WC guys last night at what was SUPPOSED to be breakdancing practice, but we ended up just sparring the whole time .

Now I haven't trained in anything in well over a year, but I sparred anyway just to see how much I remembered....and I got SERVED!

Everybody learns at a different rate, and everybody learns something differently. Some like audio, some prefer visuals, some prefer writing to learn (insert desired knowlegde). Besides, that guy's a jacka$$.

Keep training, and have fun.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga