FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
1 registered (MattJ), 55 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Shanktotheright, royal, bobgalle100011, agenonline, TooNice
22862 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
THEFOREVERMAN 3
royal 2
MattJ 2
Dobbersky 2
UKfightfreak 1
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
New Topics
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by Marcus Charles
03/24/14 04:39 PM
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Dobbersky
03/20/14 05:45 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
AKK kata question
by
09/04/05 01:27 PM
Recent Posts
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Dobbersky
Today at 06:52 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:20 AM
AKK kata question
by MattJ
04/04/14 05:45 PM
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Forum Stats
22862 Members
36 Forums
35546 Topics
432377 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#187999 - 09/22/05 10:53 AM Striking an oponent in your guard.
AikiGhost Offline

Loc: UK
So recently weve started doing a lot more sparring with strikes to the body allowed.

I spend a lot of time with people in my guard or with me on to p in sidemount. Do any experienced MMA players ahve any suggestions for effective striking form these positions? Especially strikes to the body (head shots aren't allowed in my training yet, soon though I guess).

Thanks in advance,

#188000 - 09/22/05 11:27 AM Re: Striking an oponent in your guard. [Re: AikiGhost]
MattJ Online   happy
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
Ditto.

I have found it extremely difficult to strike from the bottom, since you can not swing your elbow past your body to gain any momentum, nor do you have any appreciable hip torque or weight transfer to add to it.

The only good chance to strike is when your opponent sits up (so you sit up with him), and even then, he is usually sitting up to begin pounding YOU.

#188001 - 09/22/05 12:09 PM Re: Striking an oponent in your guard. [Re: AikiGhost]
butterfly Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Torrance, CA
Aiki,

I am not experienced and don't even consider myself a MMA guy. But I do "wrasle" a bit in BJJ. I am mostly a standup guy, but one of the reasons why I wanted to learn BJJ was for the very reason that you describe.

From my limited experience, I don't think you can strike well from the guard since as Matt suggested, there is no ready way to put your body into the strikes.

I have always thought of the (standard) guard as a brilliant defensive technique from which to make the top player try to commit to a technique and allows you time to take advantage of his movements to pass guard...setting up sweeps and chokes.

#188002 - 09/22/05 01:29 PM Re: Striking an oponent in your guard. [Re: butterfly]
pickenjg Offline

Loc: WV
From what I've seen in mma it's not necessarily how hard you hit when on the ground, it's where the strikes land. I'm not sure how many people can take even light strikes to the floating ribs or pressure points with the fingers.

That's just my thoughts on it, but I may be wrong.

#188003 - 09/22/05 01:46 PM Re: Striking an oponent in your guard. [Re: AikiGhost]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Loc: Great White North
Definitely striking while you have somebody in your guard is hard. Limiting the head doesn't help but I think that trying to hit the body will definitely make you think more and quickly if you want to actually strike them. Good training method.

If he passes your guard then you can make strikes to the body much easier ... but why would you want to give up your guard. If he passes your guard then blows to the floating ribs are a must. If not wearing gloves ... and even lightling hitting the body ... a raised middle knuckle over and over to the same spot will really do damage. Even try this on their thigh ... can you say charlie horse.

With you on top in side mount you will have to rely on elbow strikes to the ribs and also use your weight to your advantage and lay it all on them. With them struggling to remove your weight this will give you other opportunities to take a better position or give you an advantage at an appendage becoming available for locking up.

Unforunately like some I don't have all of the answers or know enough but am learning as I go. I can see things in my head and visualize what I want to do ... but as we all know when actually grappling ... things don't always work out ... or you can see something but you just can't get it. Keep trying ... be creative ... see what happens.

#188004 - 09/22/05 01:50 PM Re: Striking an oponent in your guard. [Re: AikiGhost]
ChangLab Offline
Sleepy-ninja

Loc: Cincinnati, Ohio
I believe striking while in the guard is for making your opponent move from his current position so you can gain an advantage. When someone is struck, the natural reaction is to block or stop the hit. One can use hitting while in the guard to get thier opponent to move as well as to "hurt" them. you don't need to pull way back and try to land a "haymaker" for it to be affective, just use short straight jabs to the soft areas of your opponent, and KEEP hitting, they will move and when they do.USE THE OPPORTUNITY TO YOUR ADVANTAGE.(your opponent will be thinking about avoiding the strikes not advancing thier game.
I hope that made sense.(it's like a jab is to boxing).

#188005 - 09/23/05 12:19 PM Re: Striking an oponent in your guard. [Re: AikiGhost]
IronBones Offline

Loc: Ashland Illinois
If your in a fight and in the side control(cross mount), head strikes with elbows will mess somebody up. Or if not that, knee shots to the kidneys.

#188006 - 09/23/05 12:42 PM Re: Striking an oponent in your guard. [Re: AikiGhost]
JKogas Offline
Prolific

Loc: North Carolina
Quote:

Do any experienced MMA players ahve any suggestions for effective striking form these positions? Especially strikes to the body (head shots aren't allowed in my training yet, soon though I guess).

Thanks in advance,

Grab your opponent's wrist on one side with your opposite hand (cross-grab). Use your opposite hand to hit. you should be wide open. Switch up when he blocks.

Use hitting only to force his guard open and work to pass when he ankles uncross.

-John

#188007 - 09/23/05 04:01 PM Re: Striking an oponent in your guard. [Re: JKogas]
rideonlythelabel Offline
Veteran

Loc: st-hubert quebec canada
Quote:

Quote:

Do any experienced MMA players ahve any suggestions for effective striking form these positions? Especially strikes to the body (head shots aren't allowed in my training yet, soon though I guess).

Thanks in advance,

Grab your opponent's wrist on one side with your opposite hand (cross-grab). Use your opposite hand to hit. you should be wide open. Switch up when he blocks.

Use hitting only to force his guard open and work to pass when he ankles uncross.

-John

I think he was reffering to hitting your opponent when YOU are on the bottom. Some people do it. I don't really like to though.

#188008 - 09/23/05 06:00 PM Re: Striking an oponent in your guard. [Re: rideonlythelabel]
Fletch1 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Florida
Striking from the bottom of the Guard will almost always be a slow process of wearing someone down and trying to force movement. The only knockout shot coming from a well timed kick or stomp when the guy on top creates space by leaning back or standing up.

Striking from the top of Side Mount can be very effective as long as you do not compromise your ability to hold the guy down. Letting go with your securing arm just to get in another shot, is a high risk with a low pay-off. Too much space and he is out the back door or back in Guard. Better to maintain a good lockdown and work with short, conservative shots with knees, elbows to the head and punches to the body.

Edited by Fletch1 (09/23/05 06:01 PM)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Cord, Fletch1, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga