FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 33 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
LeroyCFischer, JadeKing, Beefcake, WesJones, simonajones111
22933 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
charlie 2
futsaowingchun 2
Matakiant 1
William_Bent 1
simonajones111 1
November
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
New Topics
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Siu Lin Tao-3rd section applications
by futsaowingchun
11/13/14 06:48 PM
Screen fighting course UK December 2014
by charlie
11/11/14 04:09 PM
Siu Lin Tao-1st section Pak Sao explanations
by futsaowingchun
11/09/14 10:30 PM
I spy kata bunkai..
by GojuRyuboy13
10/29/14 08:28 AM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
MA style video library
by
03/22/06 03:18 PM
Recent Posts
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Siu Lin Tao-3rd section applications
by futsaowingchun
11/13/14 06:48 PM
Screen fighting course UK December 2014
by charlie
11/11/14 04:09 PM
MA style video library
by charlie
11/11/14 04:05 PM
Siu Lin Tao-1st section Pak Sao explanations
by futsaowingchun
11/09/14 10:30 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/29/14 10:01 PM
I spy kata bunkai..
by GojuRyuboy13
10/29/14 08:28 AM
Forum Stats
22933 Members
36 Forums
35589 Topics
432521 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#187586 - 09/20/05 03:18 PM If You Can Snatch The Words From My Mouth...
DullBlade42 Offline
Uber-Cool Shindig Host

Loc: Long York, New Island
Bully prevention. Bully prevention.

Last week, at the kids class, I asked the question that no child likes. "Is the hokey-pokey really what it's all about?" No. No. "Who here has ever been bullied?"

Not to my surprise, no one raised their hands. "Really? Never in your whole life? You guys must be lucky. I have been bullied, and I have done nothing wrong. Even your parents might've gotten bullied at work."

After having forcingly used examples from previous situations they have confessed before (some month ago), one or two kids finally raised their hands. My intention was to have them tell their situation and discuss as a group what to do next time.

Even after I have gave them some ingredients to use like stick with your friends/strength in numbers, ignore the problem/they'll get bored, or tell the teacher or an adult. Still they were hesitant about participating.

To assure all you-pointing-out-the-negatives, I have went over that it is 100% OK to use the defensive stance and retalliate if attacked and if the school has a problem about them defending themselves I will personally talk to the principal.

I have a class coming up and would like some tips for getting them to participate more. Thanks for replies.

Boy, I miss this gang.

#187587 - 09/20/05 03:29 PM Re: If You Can Snatch The Words From My Mouth... [Re: DullBlade42]
ChangLab Offline
Sleepy-ninja

Loc: Cincinnati, Ohio
I thought alot of schools have a "no tolerance" policy regarding violence. While I agree with your advice, telling a student that you will "personally talk to the principal"
will calm thier fears about self defense, You may want to call thier principal and ask what he would reccommend for self defense situations as an instructor.
Calling after the fact may be of no help to your students if the principal doesn't agree with your teachings/methods.
Just a thought

#187588 - 09/20/05 03:30 PM Re: If You Can Snatch The Words From My Mouth... [Re: DullBlade42]
ChangLab Offline
Sleepy-ninja

Loc: Cincinnati, Ohio
As far as parcipitation goes, play acting works great with kids.

#187589 - 09/20/05 03:40 PM Re: If You Can Snatch The Words From My Mouth... [Re: ChangLab]
DullBlade42 Offline
Uber-Cool Shindig Host

Loc: Long York, New Island
Quote:

Calling after the fact may be of no help to your students if the principal doesn't agree with your teachings/methods.
Just a thought

Well, tough for him.

We actually talked with a lot of their schools. I mean like talking with the students in the auditorium. Discussing rape and abduction and the district must agree with us because they ask us to come back.

As for the acting part, I did a little demonstration on what bullying looks like and how not to become a victim due to posture. I think that just scared them all.

Thank you

#187590 - 09/20/05 06:02 PM Re: If You Can Snatch The Words From My Mouth... [Re: DullBlade42]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Loc: Cambridge UK.
i know when i was being bullied at first (before i snapped and sorted it out) I used to visualise the things that I wanted to say/do to the bullies.
Maybe to get them more into it, you could get them to vent their bottled up anger against a junior wavemaster, or striking shield. Let them give it what for, and no reprimand for swearing. You will get a much better idea of where their heads are at from this, and be in a better position to help ensure that they resolve their issues with minimum need of hitting more than a target in class.
Just a thought from an ex victim of bullying.

#187591 - 09/20/05 06:14 PM Re: If You Can Snatch The Words From My Mouth... [Re: Cord]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
Dull!!!! Glad to see you back, bro. Been too long!

I agree with Cord's ideas of visualization/role-playing situations for kids. This gives them some understanding of what their reactions might be under different scenarios.

#187592 - 09/20/05 08:36 PM Re: If You Can Snatch The Words From My Mouth... [Re: MattJ]
kenposan Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Columbus, Ohio
Zero tolerance is the norm where I live no matter who talks to the school. With that said, there is still a need to be able to defend oneself. But the physical defense is only part of it. There is whole bully culture and unfortunately it is up to the schools to address that issue.

As far as helping your students, I agree that role playing is a great way to help. Personally, I would devise a script for them to follow. This allows them to not have to "deal" with any real experiences they have had. It also allows you as the instructor to interject easily with things you want to cover.

Don't neglect verbal self defense. Diffusing the situation is always best. Awareness is important as well.

Here are some sights on bullying that I have used:

http://www.bullying.co.uk/
http://www.bullying.org/public/frameset.cfm
http://www.nobully.org.nz/advicek.htm
http://www.antibullying.net/
http://stopbullyingnow.hrsa.gov/index.asp?area=main

#187593 - 09/21/05 10:01 AM Re: If You Can Snatch The Words From My Mouth... [Re: DullBlade42]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Loc: Cambridge UK.
Dullblade, just a thought, but did it occur to you that their reluctance to open up, may be because their bully(ies) may also be present in the class?
Kids can be very calculating- suck up to you and say and behave correctly in your class, but be very different animals when not on such a tight leash.

#187594 - 09/21/05 02:54 PM Re: If You Can Snatch The Words From My Mouth... [Re: Cord]
Foolsgold Offline
Veteran

Loc: South Lyon, MI, USA
Yikes, that's a disturbing thought. You're right, kids are smart and bullies would probably have little trouble blending in.

I advise watching their body language, but I'd rather you listened to a certified child psychologist.

#187595 - 09/21/05 06:53 PM Re: If You Can Snatch The Words From My Mouth... [Re: DullBlade42]
awais786 Offline

Loc: ONT. CANADA
It is proven that buillies are only builles cause they get aboused at their home for no reason.For exmpale.A bully's parents migh beat him up or yell at him/her for absoulte o reason and if they keep doing that usally.Then the kid wants to take his/her "anger on someone else and thus just bully someone smaller then them for no reason.Or cause they just wanna show off.

Don't know if that was usefull but still it might give yo some sort of idea

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga