FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 36 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
mohdnabeel, sunny, swordy, jerrybarry24, SenseiGregT
22915 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
AndyLA 3
futsaowingchun 3
Matakiant 3
kolslaw 1
Bartfast 1
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
Yesterday at 12:10 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Martial News
by Matakiant
09/23/14 06:42 AM
STX Kickboxing Seminar
by Marcus Charles
09/09/14 06:57 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by
05/13/07 08:02 AM
Eugue Ryu
by
03/27/07 12:06 AM
Recent Posts
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
Yesterday at 12:10 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Victor Smith
09/28/14 07:11 PM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Martial News
by Matakiant
09/23/14 06:42 AM
attacked from behind
by AndyLA
09/19/14 09:05 AM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
09/18/14 06:07 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Zombie Zero
09/16/14 04:43 PM
Eugue Ryu
by kolslaw
09/12/14 03:35 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
Forum Stats
22915 Members
36 Forums
35579 Topics
432500 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#186285 - 09/16/05 09:47 AM Re: A post to end all style vs. style effectivenes [Re: shotokanwarrior19]
tookien1 Offline

Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Every MA has it strengths. The purpose of MA in my opinion in terms of SD and fighting is to give you a sense and idea of what to expect against larger or smaller opponents, and how you can take advantage of various situations. Therefore, if you can properly determine how to go about and plan things ahead of time, you'll be alot more successful and safer in executing whatever techniques you will impose, even if that technique is to run.

tookien1

#186286 - 09/17/05 10:12 AM Re: A post to end all style vs. style effectivenes [Re: MAGr]
BigRod Offline
Does it all

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Quote:

If you are 5.10 and 160 pounds and cant take on a dude who is 6'5 then maybe you should re-evaluate your training methods

LOL! Yeah, OK. At a minimum, the 6'5 guy has an advantage called "reach". And if you aren't used to dealing with someone who has a reach advantage, you're in for a surprise.

Moving on...

This is an excellent thread. To many people are disillusioned about being able to defeat a larger opponent, whether they are trained or not. Height, weight, strength, all of that makes a huge difference.

#186287 - 09/17/05 11:48 AM Re: A post to end all style vs. style effectivenes [Re: BigRod]
butterfly Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Torrance, CA
Big Rod wrote:
"Height, weight, strength, make a huge difference."

Very, very, very true....

-B

#186288 - 09/17/05 01:57 PM Re: A post to end all style vs. style effectivenes [Re: butterfly]
Christie Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Waterloo, ON
Quote:

Big Rod wrote:
"Height, weight, strength, make a huge difference."

Very, very, very true....

-B

I third that.

#186289 - 09/17/05 03:30 PM Re: A post to end all style vs. style effectivenes [Re: shotokanwarrior19]
paradoxbox Offline
Enthusiast

Original post, edited for clarity.

Ok i was surfing the net just now and came across another martial arts site like this one with a forum and almost 50% of the posts were style vs. style bashing and which would be more effective on the street and which ones are not.

I have seen endless posts on here about the same subject and i'm sure someone else has posted a post like this one before to try and put an end to it all, but i felt like writing this because i'm just kinda venting because i'm sick of all this style vs. style crap and street effectiveness.

I have been training in martial arts for over 7 years now, not a very long time i know. I hold a 1st dan in shotokan but i have also cross trained in Kajukenpo, judo and tae kwon do. All of which i saw its strong points and weak points, all martial arts have them no matter who says otherwise.

NO style is better than the other, every style has its effectiveness and it all depends on the training of the techniques and the conditioning. The martial artist has control over his/her own effectiveness by the way they train themselves.

I am thoroughly convinced that even though some masters may say otherwise that strength and size do matter, after 7 years of training the people who are more street ready are the ones who workout outside the dojo lifting weights and conditioning themselves.

This may seem like common sense it may not to some. I have grown sick of people who think they can beat a 6'5 mountain of muscle, its possible if u can get a good kick to the groin or a throat strike and a few other techniques such as eye gouging.

but otherwise ur done unless u can escape thats ur best bet or avoid the confrontation all together, this is where martial arts are the most effective, awareness.

And just to put this aside before i continue, yes big people have the same pressure points as anyone but they are extremely hard to execute on someone who is larger. I know i'm gonna get bashed by the people who have been brainwashed to think they can beat bigger people, yea they have a slight chance but very slight.

And just to get the record straight by big people i mean people who are not near ur height or weight range because most people will not pick on people who they think can beat them so they are normally bigger and in most cases much bigger but anyway, don't get me wrong, i want to believe i can beat someone who is bigger than me, i'm only 5'10 160, i'm by no means big.

I will definetly say that if u pit a small martial arts against a big attacker they would have a better chance of survival than a small normal person but its a small chance and its a chance to take to train in the martial arts, thats why i am. Now for the striking vs. grappling debate, there is no debate because in a real fight u don't know if it will end up on the ground or stand up, yea a grappler would want to take it to the ground but how can anyone predict he will?

You can't, its impossible, debates like that are just stupid. Anything can happen in a street fight, anyone can win any given day, martial arts will help to prepare u for that but no art can prepare u better than the other, YOU can prepare yourself better by ur training in and outside the dojo.

The art you are training in is just stepping stone, to reach the top you need to take the extra steps to be a better martial artist. I know i'm probably gonna get slammed by some people for this post but its what i believe, after over 7 years of training i have come to this conclusion, yea 7 years isn't much i know but its a logical conclusion.

#186290 - 09/17/05 03:38 PM Re: A post to end all style vs. style effectivenes [Re: butterfly]
Prometej Offline

Loc: Croatia
And what about terrier style attacking the vital points

#186291 - 09/17/05 09:53 PM Re: A post to end all style vs. style effectivenes [Re: Prometej]
Karateka13 Offline
Righteous Do-Gooder

Loc: Beirut, Lebanon
Ah, thanks Paradoxbox.

#186292 - 09/18/05 02:35 AM Re: A post to end all style vs. style effectivenes [Re: tookien1]
Shouji Offline

Loc: VA
It is, and always will be, impossible to post a post to end all of these seemingly endless threads. But i'm allowed to voice my opinion.

Martial Art's, is a way of expressing yourself honestly. Being that each style will teach strongly in a particular area, it all boils down to the same reason in which we choose to learn Martial Art's in the first place. But why choose to limit ourselves to only one style? Is one style better than another? No, it is all a matter of opinion. Each individual is different.

Tell me, what is the benefit of limiting to one style. Do we not have only one life to live? Are we to miss out on everything else?

Is it possible to make a diverse and beautiful painting through one color? Can we make a concert happen through one violin?

I follow Jeet Kune Do, not because it's a better style than others, but because it combines the elements of all styles together in one big harmony. But you will never hear me say that it is better than another style, because that would only insult me, Bruce Lee, and all others who study it. Just who am I to say that one is better than another? Have I experienced it myself to know for sure? But Jeet Kune Do combining all elements of styles, I know that every style is great.

Edited by Shouji (09/18/05 02:37 AM)

#186293 - 09/18/05 04:54 PM Re: A post to end all style vs. style effectivenes [Re: BigRod]
MAGr Offline
Veteran

Loc: London, home: Athens
Quote:

LOL! Yeah, OK. At a minimum, the 6'5 guy has an advantage called "reach". And if you aren't used to dealing with someone who has a reach advantage, you're in for a surprise.

Lol yeah ok. There is also such a thing called skill. You now which one a mean the skill that you get by doing... oh I dont know....martial arts maybe?
And also, I think it is vital for anyone to train with people of all sorts of defferent sizes.

You de be surprised the places a short guy can reach!

Skill is supposed to equalise advantages like that. I am not saying that taller people dont have an advantage due to reach. But that is assuming they have the same skill set. That would be a big assumption on anyones part small or big.

#186294 - 09/18/05 05:41 PM Re: A post to end all style vs. style effectivenes [Re: MAGr]
UofM Shorin Ryu Offline
Resident Forum Breakdancer

Reach is the hardest thing I have to deal with when facing a larger opponent. My natural reaction is to move to the sides, or back from a punch, but if I ever want to fight back, I've gotta learn to move INTO the punch, otherwise I'd be swinging at air the whole time...

As such, my sifu LOVED to pit me up against the 200+lbs ers in my class, or the 7ft tall giants...it was ROUGH!
But I've done good in sparring against big guys, and I've never gotten a shot in on others....

the only time I KNOW I can win is if I do an about-face and start sprinting!

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga