FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 23 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SenseiGregT, sagat, JFawkes, pluckysaga39, sgtdemeo
22911 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 5
AndyLA 5
Ed_Morris 4
futsaowingchun 3
ergees 3
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
New Topics
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
Yesterday at 03:51 AM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
Chi Sao demonstration
by futsaowingchun
08/14/14 10:57 PM
Decent Fight channel
by FrankyFruits
08/07/14 09:19 PM
2014 European Championships Cadets Athens: Videos
by ergees
08/07/14 10:00 AM
Life goes on....
by Dobbersky
08/07/14 05:59 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
Recent Posts
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
Yesterday at 03:51 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Zombie Zero
08/29/14 10:50 PM
mindfullness meditation
by log1call
08/28/14 02:39 AM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ed_Morris
08/26/14 09:58 PM
The Karate punch
by Ed_Morris
08/26/14 09:27 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
attacked from behind
by AndyLA
08/16/14 04:59 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by VDJ
08/15/14 05:46 PM
Forum Stats
22911 Members
36 Forums
35573 Topics
432484 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#186265 - 09/15/05 10:44 PM A post to end all style vs. style effectiveness
shotokanwarrior19 Offline

Loc: Cortland, OH, USA
Ok i was surfing the net just now and came across another martial arts site like this one with a forum and almost 50% of the posts were style vs. style bashing and which would be more effective on the street and which ones are not. I have seen endless posts on here about the same subject and i'm sure someone else has posted a post like this one before to try and put an end to it all, but i felt like writing this because i'm just kinda venting because i'm sick of all this style vs. style crap and street effectiveness. I have been training in martial arts for over 7 years now, not a very long time i know. I hold a 1st dan in shotokan but i have also cross trained in Kajukenpo, judo and tae kwon do. All of which i saw its strong points and weak points, all martial arts have them no matter who says otherwise. NO style is better than the other, every style has its effectiveness and it all depends on the training of the techniques and the conditioning. The martial artist has control over his/her own effectiveness by the way they train themselves. I am thoroughly convinced that even though some masters may say otherwise that strength and size do matter, after 7 years of training the people who are more street ready are the ones who workout outside the dojo lifting weights and conditioning themselves. This may seem like common sense it may not to some. I have grown sick of people who think they can beat a 6'5 mountain of muscle, its possible if u can get a good kick to the groin or a throat strike and a few other techniques such as eye gouging but otherwise ur done unless u can escape thats ur best bet or avoid the confrontation all together, this is where martial arts are the most effective, awareness. And just to put this aside before i continue, yes big people have the same pressure points as anyone but they are extremely hard to execute on someone who is larger. I know i'm gonna get bashed by the people who have been brainwashed to think they can beat bigger people, yea they have a slight chance but very slight. And just to get the record straight by big people i mean people who are not near ur height or weight range because most people will not pick on people who they think can beat them so they are normally bigger and in most cases much bigger but anyway, don't get me wrong, i want to believe i can beat someone who is bigger than me, i'm only 5'10 160, i'm by no means big. I will definetly say that if u pit a small martial arts against a big attacker they would have a better chance of survival than a small normal person but its a small chance and its a chance to take to train in the martial arts, thats why i am. Now for the striking vs. grappling debate, there is no debate because in a real fight u don't know if it will end up on the ground or stand up, yea a grappler would want to take it to the ground but how can anyone predict he will? You can't, its impossible, debates like that are just stupid. Anything can happen in a street fight, anyone can win any given day, martial arts will help to prepare u for that but no art can prepare u better than the other, YOU can prepare yourself better by ur training in and outside the dojo. The art you are training in is just stepping stone, to reach the top you need to take the extra steps to be a better martial artist. I know i'm probably gonna get slammed by some people for this post but its what i believe, after over 7 years of training i have come to this conclusion, yea 7 years isn't much i know but its a logical conclusion.

#186266 - 09/15/05 10:49 PM Re: A post to end all style vs. style effectiveness [Re: shotokanwarrior19]
butterfly Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Torrance, CA
Dude, though I generally agree with your sentiment...can you say run on sentences? How's about a paragraph break or two. Eye strain you know.

-B

#186267 - 09/15/05 10:58 PM Re: A post to end all style vs. style effectiveness [Re: butterfly]
Kintama Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Massachusetts
well wait a minute Butterfly, are you saying YOUR writing style is better than his style??!!
lol

seriously - good post, but another way to defeat something is by not giving attention to it...let everyone believe theirs is the best...and indeed it probably is their best - so nobody is wrong, and everyone can get back to drinking...I mean training.

#186268 - 09/15/05 11:00 PM Re: A post to end all style vs. style effectiveness [Re: Kintama]
butterfly Offline
Professional Poster

Nope...my writing are as bads as anyone's elses.

-B

#186269 - 09/15/05 11:04 PM Re: A post to end all style vs. style effectiveness [Re: butterfly]
UofM Shorin Ryu Offline
Resident Forum Breakdancer

Me fail Engrish? Thats umposible!

#186270 - 09/15/05 11:06 PM Re: A post to end all style vs. style effectiveness [Re: butterfly]

Quote:

Dude, though I generally agree with your sentiment...can you say run on sentences? How's about a paragraph break or two. Eye strain you know.

-B

lol sry about that i tried to break it up, but i was kinda just rambling on lol.

Edited by shotokanwarrior19 (09/15/05 11:08 PM)

#186271 - 09/15/05 11:09 PM Re: A post to end all style vs. style effectiveness [Re: shotokanwarrior19]
UofM Shorin Ryu Offline
Resident Forum Breakdancer

It's better to get out that stress and aggression on the forum through a long paragraph of rambling interwoven with highly relevant key points than to take it out on the street, or on someone.

#186272 - 09/15/05 11:12 PM Re: A post to end all style vs. style effectiveness [Re: UofM Shorin Ryu]

Quote:

It's better to get out that stress and aggression on the forum through a long paragraph of rambling interwoven with highly relevant key points than to take it out on the street, or on someone.

Agreed

#186273 - 09/15/05 11:15 PM Re: A post to end all style vs. style effectiveness [Re: shotokanwarrior19]
butterfly Offline
Professional Poster

Shoto 19,

No insult intended. Just poking a little fun. But like I said, the gist of what you are stating is something I agree with.

-B

#186274 - 09/15/05 11:27 PM Re: A post to end all style vs. style effectiveness [Re: butterfly]

Quote:

Shoto 19,

No insult intended. Just poking a little fun. But like I said, the gist of what you are stating is something I agree with.

-B

I know you were, i was just stating why i didn't use good punctuation and grammar lol.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga