FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 44 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
ksusanc, kellypnik123, leyinn, Ron_Cooley, businns
22902 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 12
cxt 7
trevek 6
JKogas 5
futsaowingchun 2
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/14/14 10:49 PM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/11/14 03:36 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
10 San Sik drills-Wing Chun's foundation
by futsaowingchun
06/30/14 11:20 AM
"Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2" the movies.
by TaekwonDoFan
06/30/14 11:02 AM
Iaido movements speed
by TooNice
04/14/14 01:47 PM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
12/30/13 08:32 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Prizewriter
04/16/12 02:48 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
04/12/12 11:16 AM
Recent Posts
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by cxt
Today at 11:35 AM
centerline concepts
by Dobbersky
07/18/14 06:14 AM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/14/14 04:50 PM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:38 AM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:35 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
07/09/14 06:13 AM
Throwing
by JKogas
07/03/14 07:40 PM
10 San Sik drills-Wing Chun's foundation
by futsaowingchun
06/30/14 11:20 AM
"Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2" the movies.
by TaekwonDoFan
06/30/14 11:02 AM
Forget all that health stuff
by TaekwonDoFan
06/29/14 03:18 AM
Forum Stats
22902 Members
36 Forums
35563 Topics
432450 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5
Topic Options
#186046 - 12/03/05 05:29 PM Re: US or Israel? [Re: csinca]
RangerG Offline
Former Moderator

Loc: Chester County, Pennsylvania
I think it is safe to assume that the majority of Krav taught in the US is the general civilian version. There may be a former member of the IDF that teaches more than the general class plan, but that would be an anomaly and not the rule.

Also keep in mind that there are two factions of Krav as well. There is not a lot of love between them, if you get my drift.

I hope I am making sense with my answers...I just got back from day two of supporting a friend in instructor testing...and I have a huge headache..

Edited by RangerG (12/03/05 05:34 PM)

#186047 - 12/04/05 10:57 AM Re: US or Israel? [Re: trevek]
csinca Offline
former moderator

Loc: Southern California
Quote:

Having worked in a bar, I've seen bottles used as both clubs and missiles. There's also the scenario of throwing a bottle to break and shatter onto the guy below. Nasty.

Does the scenario change much if you replace "bottles" with "hand grenades" in this story?

#186048 - 12/04/05 02:19 PM Re: US or Israel? [Re: csinca]
trevek Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Poland
Having only thrown grenades at dummies I've not seen the results, but I'll hazard a guess that the result might be similar (if more bloody) in that greanades scatter hot shrapnel etc and once thrown there is little to do but get out of the way or hug the nearest sumo wrestler and fall on the floor under them.

Naturally, I stand to be corrected (if the sumo wrestler didn't squash me or the grenade get me).

Supporting everyone saying "nuts to cancer"

#186049 - 12/05/05 10:35 AM Re: US or Israel? [Re: trevek]
globetrotter Offline
does unto others before they do unto him

Loc: ny usa
having been in the IDF, in the "Special forces", studied krav as a soldier at wingate the "shoalin temple of krav" and now being just a regular milddle aged guy, I have my own perspective.

1. I really think that most of these guys teaching who present themselves as having been in the "special forces" are really selling a load of crap. I was in a very good unit, and took the best course in krav available to a combatant - that is a person who is involved in combat, not an instructor- and I am nowhere near qualified to teach.

2. I find it distastful that some vetrans go out and teach military skills to people who don't need them. one day I will teach my son a thing or two, possibly how to handle a firearm, possibly a little bit about fighting, but I have no intention of teaching anybody any additional military skills.

3. I really don't think that krav schools should be in the business of teaching military skills, at all

4. the flip side of that, krav is about being able to do damage, and it shoulnd't be made more gentle.

5. I am a fat old man with a little kid. the only way I will ever get into a fight is if somebody attacks me, and I can't talk him out of it. if that happens, I will not be playing around, I will be tearing out his throat and eyes and crushing his knees, kidney and testicles. one of us will be in the hospital or morgue at the end of the scuffle

6. as to the poster who said something about palestinian demonstrators - keep in mind that the vast majority of those "demonstrators" were healthy young men, often farm oys or men who had been working in construction since their childhood. very often 5-10 soldiers, armed with night sticks, would find themselves facing 50 or so young men armed with stones, bottles, and knives. this is a great deal more challenging than conflicts against terrorists - when you go in after a terrorist, it is very clear that the terrorist will end up in a bag.

#186050 - 12/06/05 11:18 PM Re: US or Israel? [Re: globetrotter]
Plantman Offline

Loc: Maimi
If you wanted to learn how to play th epiano, would you only learn it half assed?

If you can get the military training, I don't see anything wrong with it.

Having some [censored] claim to be ex IDF and special this or that to make money sucks, but we live in a capitalist society.

To get bakc to the original post, I doubt you can learn Krav better anywhere in the world than is Israel.

It's not just the instructors, it's the students, they are more intense(i"ve heard from a buddy who's been). A lot of these guys have been practicing this from a very young age.

How is it possible we can have the quantity of proficient people here in the US if that's the case.

I heard that in Netanya, the birthplace of Krav, the place is littered with schools(relatively speaking), so it may be watered down if ou got to the wrong one there as well.

I plan on going to Israel at some point to train with Haim Gidon on the IKMA. Maybe next year.

#186051 - 12/20/05 07:42 PM Re: US or Israel? [Re: Plantman]
firecoins Offline
Stranger

Loc: NYC
ISraeli training is more intense.

I am interested in kearning the military skills. I see no problem with it as I have never got into a fight and don't plan to anythime soon. Since 9/11, the London bombings, the Spanish bombings and the shoe bomber, I say some of the military skills could come in handy.

You can find schools in various different MAs that teach rather brutal techniques. Krav doesn't necessarily need to teach them.

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5

Moderator:  Cord, Dedicated1, JasonM, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga