FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 28 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bartfast, ZapEm, AndyLA, danacohenn, ksusanc
22906 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 8
AndyLA 5
futsaowingchun 4
ergees 2
VDJ 2
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
New Topics
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
Chi Sao demonstration
by futsaowingchun
08/14/14 10:57 PM
Decent Fight channel
by FrankyFruits
08/07/14 09:19 PM
2014 European Championships Cadets Athens: Videos
by ergees
08/07/14 10:00 AM
Life goes on....
by Dobbersky
08/07/14 05:59 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
Applied center line theory
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:55 AM
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/14/14 10:49 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
Recent Posts
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by VDJ
08/15/14 05:46 PM
Chi Sao demonstration
by futsaowingchun
08/14/14 10:57 PM
The Karate punch
by Dobbersky
08/12/14 05:14 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Dobbersky
08/11/14 05:03 AM
Decent Fight channel
by FrankyFruits
08/07/14 09:19 PM
2014 European Championships Cadets Athens: Videos
by ergees
08/07/14 10:00 AM
Life goes on....
by Dobbersky
08/07/14 05:59 AM
A post for those who might become martial artists.
by AndyLA
08/06/14 07:25 AM
Forum Stats
22906 Members
36 Forums
35571 Topics
432473 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#186006 - 09/14/05 08:31 PM US or Israel?
RangerG Offline
Former Moderator

Loc: Chester County, Pennsylvania
Say your had a choice of Instructors...A well qualified US instructor that had years of experience, or an Israeli instructor.. Which would you chose, and why?

I can understand traveling to Israel to train if you have the money and time. Plus the travel and experience would be a blast.

#186007 - 09/14/05 08:49 PM Re: US or Israel? [Re: RangerG]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
Curious....Is there a great level of difference in what is taught by Israeli instructors vs. what is taught over here?

#186008 - 09/14/05 08:58 PM Re: US or Israel? [Re: MattJ]
RangerG Offline
Former Moderator

Quote:

Curious....Is there a great level of difference in what is taught by Israeli instructors vs. what is taught over here?

Some claim there is. If one of the premier instructors comes over from Israel, a lot of Krav folks make every attempt to attend a seminar with them.

The jury is still out with me.. I think a good instructor is a good instructor, no matter where he or she comes from. As long as they are teaching Krav in it's correct form, I am not sure there is a difference.

I would say training with an experienced Israeli instructor puts you in touch with someone who most likely has had their skills in both Krav and Instructing pressure tested in a country that lives with hostility on a daily basis.

#186009 - 09/14/05 09:09 PM Re: US or Israel? [Re: RangerG]
awais786 Offline

Loc: ONT. CANADA
If i was to train karv maga i would either train in pakistan or isreal.Reason simple.Karv maga in these to countries are mostly thaught to military personnal.So i would get kinda military training

#186010 - 09/14/05 09:15 PM Re: US or Israel? [Re: awais786]
RangerG Offline
Former Moderator

Quote:

If i was to train karv maga i would either train in pakistan or isreal.Reason simple.Karv maga in these to countries are mostly thaught to military personnal.So i would get kinda military training

Interesting concept. Military Krav also coveres things like hand grenade defense and disarming somone with a machine gun. Would you say that is appropriate for someone living in Canada..or the US?

#186011 - 09/15/05 12:21 AM Re: US or Israel? [Re: RangerG]
ShikataGaNai Offline
Veteran

Loc: Bellingham, WA
i'm glad this topic has come up, as i was just about to pose a similar question. i've been faced with a dilemna lately myself. the school i attend teaches krav, boxing, kickboxing, wushu kung fu and rickson gracie bjj. the krav class is great and i can't speak highly enough of my sifus, who are among the most reputable in chicago and have trained a good number of professional fighters. however, to spar you need to be in the boxing/kickboxing classes which means an extra bit of cash a month. not much, but more than i want to throw down to learn similar puches and kicks to what i get from krav. i also am beginning to get impatient with alot of other students, as many of them are too shy to apply as much force as i would like in the training drills. i'm always saying "look, you can choke me" or "punch at my face, not a foot off my ear". i'm not trying to brag, i just want to put my skills to the test. i expressed my desire to train in israel for a short period of time to my instructors - one said it was a good idea but immediately brought up the danger of getting blown away while sitting in a cafe. another (the operating owner) said she doesn't see any reason to teach machine gun or grenade disarms and will never teach it. she also added that in israel, they will train me like an israeli and it will be quite a different thing. i want to stay commited to this school, but also want to accelerate my training from what everyone is doing to that of a serious fighter. private lessons seem like one option and the trip to israel could be well worth it.
i think this is a good example of the difference in US krav training - if it was made too much more intimidating, the schools would probably lose a lot of students.
sorry if this got long winded.

#186012 - 09/15/05 09:51 PM Re: US or Israel? [Re: RangerG]
umsangil Offline

I would choose an Israeli instructor because Im curious about the difference in methods/training/experience. They also bring a different perspective on things, coming from a different country. I also want to witness that hardcore fighting Israeli spirit.

#186013 - 09/16/05 03:18 AM Re: US or Israel? [Re: ShikataGaNai]
clammy joe Offline

ShikataGaNai, what school do you train at? I'm in Chicago and I train at Ultimate Martial Arts in Lincolnwood. I've been telling myself since I started 8 months ago I'd like to drop in to another school to see how they do things, though I'm perfectly happy with my school. My instructor is excellent and always encourages people to be very aggressive during drills. "Aggressive" and "Attack" are two of his favorite words.

As for the original question I don't think I'd care one way or the other, a good instructor is a good instructor, though the idea of actually going to Israel to train involves a lot more than just the quality of instruction.

#186014 - 09/16/05 12:05 PM Re: US or Israel? [Re: clammy joe]
ShikataGaNai Offline
Veteran

Loc: Bellingham, WA
i train at a MMA/fitness gym called pow martial arts. it used to be called iron fist kung fu or something. the sifus are great and the facilities top notch. i could gush on and on - the only downside is that the ratio of beginners to advanced students is around 10 to 1. personally, i like a partner that actually chokes me or throws punches at my face and many of the students (and there are MANY) are too shy - not in the ju jistu class though! it's set up so you get what you put into it and unfortunately there are laggers anywhere you go. drop by sometime!

#186015 - 09/16/05 02:08 PM Re: US or Israel? [Re: ShikataGaNai]
Plantman Offline

Loc: Maimi
My take on it is this:

y instructor in Miami was one of the few chosen people in the early 80s to spred Krav througout the world, esp the US.

I have seen pictures of him and Imi and can say that he is the real deal. He is also one of the senior instructors of the IKMA, the original organization founded by Imi in the late 70's.

He has and contimues to teach civilian and military applications of Krav Maga.

Here is the biggest difference in my opinion between an Israeli and American instructor:

When Rick teaces us a technique, he always starts out with the more "vanilla" version. After you get that down he will come over to some of the more "senior" students and take the same technique and notch it up to military applications, which are more viloent/deadly.

An American not trained in military Krav cannot do that unless he has been trained by someone who has.

I have seen/spoken to some guys who take Krav thru Krav USA who have been studying for a couple of years that are way behind what we have done. Their stick fighting is not as advanced as what we do, etc.....in fact, I've never seen any type of stick fighting on their website.

You are only as good as your instructor.

For those of you familiar with David Kahn and his book on Krav Maga that was prined last year, his instructor/mentor is the same guy I learn from.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Cord, Dedicated1, JasonM, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga