FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 18 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bartfast, ZapEm, AndyLA, danacohenn, ksusanc
22906 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 10
AndyLA 5
futsaowingchun 4
cxt 3
FrankyFruits 2
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
New Topics
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
Yesterday at 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
Chi Sao demonstration
by futsaowingchun
08/14/14 10:57 PM
Decent Fight channel
by FrankyFruits
08/07/14 09:19 PM
2014 European Championships Cadets Athens: Videos
by ergees
08/07/14 10:00 AM
Life goes on....
by Dobbersky
08/07/14 05:59 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
Applied center line theory
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:55 AM
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/14/14 10:49 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
Recent Posts
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
Yesterday at 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by VDJ
08/15/14 05:46 PM
Chi Sao demonstration
by futsaowingchun
08/14/14 10:57 PM
The Karate punch
by Dobbersky
08/12/14 05:14 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Dobbersky
08/11/14 05:03 AM
Decent Fight channel
by FrankyFruits
08/07/14 09:19 PM
2014 European Championships Cadets Athens: Videos
by ergees
08/07/14 10:00 AM
Life goes on....
by Dobbersky
08/07/14 05:59 AM
A post for those who might become martial artists.
by AndyLA
08/06/14 07:25 AM
Forum Stats
22906 Members
36 Forums
35571 Topics
432473 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#185870 - 09/20/05 09:08 AM Re: Vegan vs. Omnivore [Re: Gavin]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Loc: Cambridge UK.
Glad you are enjoying the fruit and nutty goodness

The reason is simple. Nuts are full of unsaturated fat, so very energy rich. 1 gram of protein or carboydrate has an energy yield of 4 calories. 1 gram of fat has an energy yield of 9 calories.
That is why 'high fat' snacks are associated with obesity, a little goes a long way to tip the energy scale against you
Nuts are often seen as unhealthy because it is our culture to coat them in chocolate, sugar glaze or salt. The nut itself is a good source of nutrition,it just got in with a bad crowd

Unsalted nuts, combined with dried fruits, have been a staple of backpacks the world over. Trekking, hiking, survival persuits etc. all are energy intensive, and 'trail mix' as it is commonly known, is a compact, portable way of avoiding starvation.

Another advantage is that because you are eating a concentrated source of 'good' fats, your production of ketones is kept high- these little fella's help break down and process fats into useable energy, as well as being crucial in the metabilisation of stored body fat.
This is the same thinking behind the high fat percentage allowed in 'atkins' eating- it is known as a ketogenic diet.
I believe in balance so dont advocate extremes, but a little theory can go a long way when applied to sensible eating.

TADAAA!!! one why and wherefor complete as requested

#185871 - 09/20/05 09:12 AM Re: Vegan vs. Omnivore [Re: Cord]
Gavin Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Southend, Essex, UK
Quote:

TADAAA!!! one why and wherefor complete as requested

I thank you sir! Now I definately have a new found appreciation of nuts!

#185872 - 09/20/05 09:18 AM Re: Vegan vs. Omnivore [Re: Gavin]
Cord Offline
Prolific

There really is no answer to that

#185873 - 09/20/05 09:19 AM Re: Vegan vs. Omnivore [Re: Chanters]
Armed_Man_Piker Offline

Loc: East Coast U.S.A.
Quote:

Talking from personal experience and knowing other vegetarians on a good diet, the fact that I rarely suffer ailments (maybe 1 cold a year if that), am declared fit and healthy by my GP, lead a very active life I can say a good veggie diet can provide you with a long and healthy life and you needn't depend on meat. I'm sorry I don't have sources from people who have written about a vegan diet but I'm not talking about veganism, I'm talking my personal experience being a vegetarian.

Chanters,

Allow me to refresh your memory--you said:

As I have mentioned before, providing you are on a good vegetarian diet, there's is nothing you can't get from a vegetable, bean or pulse than from eating meat.

I posted in reply to the statement above, to show the folks here that you are wrong on this specific issue. You are misleading people with some of your statements.

However, you also said that you're "not talking about veganism", so tell us, what type of vegetarian are you, and what animal products do you still consume?

Best,

A_M_P

#185874 - 09/20/05 09:23 AM Re: Vegan vs. Omnivore [Re: Armed_Man_Piker]
MAGr Offline
Veteran

Loc: London, home: Athens
Also I would like to ask about the availiability of all those exotic vegetarian supplements that you would need to replace meat with.
Do I need to eat a thousand different type of pulse, bean, soy, and other green stuff to compensate for the lack of anything else? Or are they quite common?

Also I understand people who dont eat meat because they dont like the taste or it upsets their stomach, but I dont understand the ideological side of it.

#185875 - 09/20/05 09:25 AM Re: Vegan vs. Omnivore [Re: Cord]
Armed_Man_Piker Offline

Loc: East Coast U.S.A.
Quote:

Nuts are often seen as unhealthy because it is our culture to coat them in chocolate, sugar glaze or salt. The nut itself is a good source of nutrition,it just got in with a bad crowd

One caveat here that Cord failed to mention--to be truly healthy, nuts should also be raw.

The "good fats" in nuts are, like any other fats (vegetable oil, for instance), subject to damage from heat. Too much heat wreaks good fats--turns them into a bad fat, in fact.

Quote:

Unsalted nuts, combined with dried fruits, have been a staple of backpacks the world over.

So has jerky!

Quote:

Trekking, hiking, survival persuits etc. all are energy intensive, and 'trail mix' as it is commonly known, is a compact, portable way of avoiding starvation.

Ditto for the dried beef and mutton.

#185876 - 09/20/05 09:29 AM Re: Vegan vs. Omnivore [Re: Armed_Man_Piker]
Chanters Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Manchester, UK
The difference between a vegan and a vegetarian is that a vegan doesn't eat meat or fish and also doesn't consume dairy products like milk, cheese and eggs. I eat dairy products but do not eat meat or fish or any products which contain gelatine or rennet etc.

#185877 - 09/20/05 09:29 AM Re: Vegan vs. Omnivore [Re: MAGr]
JoelM Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Georgia, USA
Quote:

Also I understand people who dont eat meat because they dont like the taste or it upsets their stomach, but I dont understand the ideological side of it.

Look at the PETA website and their marketing materials. But actually be intersted in what they are saying, don't go to laugh at the "tree huggers" you so fondly throw animal parts at.

Aside: It's interesting, I never see the vegetarians starting flame wars on these threads, it's always the omnivores who sart slinging insults and making fun of the others...

#185878 - 09/20/05 09:32 AM Re: Vegan vs. Omnivore [Re: Armed_Man_Piker]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Good point one armed piker, (couldnt you have a shorter name?- can I just call you 'pikey' in future responses? )

My explanation was not in continuance of the vegetarian/meat argument, merely addressing a direct question. I eat Biltong (south african style beef jerky) at least once per week, if not more- cracking good stuff for omnivors.

#185879 - 09/20/05 09:33 AM Re: Vegan vs. Omnivore [Re: MAGr]
Chanters Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Manchester, UK
Quote:

lso I understand people who dont eat meat because they dont like the taste or it upsets their stomach, but I dont understand the ideological side of it.

My personal reason is that I see too much suffering and unecessary death in the world already and feel I don't want to contribute to it any more than I already do. If I can live without it then why not?

Edited by Chanters (09/20/05 09:34 AM)

Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga