FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 52 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
AndyLA, danacohenn, ksusanc, kellypnik123, leyinn
22904 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 15
cxt 7
trevek 6
futsaowingchun 3
JKogas 2
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
New Topics
Applied center line theory
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:55 AM
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/14/14 10:49 PM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/11/14 03:36 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
12/30/13 08:32 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Prizewriter
04/16/12 02:48 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
04/12/12 11:16 AM
Throwing
by
04/23/05 10:58 PM
Recent Posts
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
Yesterday at 12:04 PM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Dobbersky
07/29/14 05:11 AM
Applied center line theory
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:55 AM
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:53 AM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/14/14 04:50 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:35 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
07/09/14 06:13 AM
Throwing
by JKogas
07/03/14 07:40 PM
Forum Stats
22904 Members
36 Forums
35564 Topics
432456 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#185472 - 09/30/05 06:41 AM Re: what is advertising? [Re: laf7773]
glad2bhere Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Lindenhurst, Illinois USA
"....Again i ask if you have such low opinions of everyone here, why are you still here? Are you looking for some sort of validation?...."

When people want information about the martial arts many of them go out to the Internet. So far I get the impression that moderators here have a pretty clear view of what they owe this website. I also think that mods here have a pretty good idea of what it takes to provide a playground for MA "hangers-on". What I DON'T get an impression for is what accomodations are made for people who are particularly serious about their studies. Think of my observation as the difference between you offering services at the level of BALCK BELT magazine, and me wondering why there isn't more at the level of JAMA? Thoughts?

Best Wishes,

Bruce

#185473 - 09/30/05 09:12 AM Re: what is advertising? [Re: glad2bhere]
eyrie Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: QLD, Australia
The guidelines that were given to the moderators are very clear.

Quote:

3. Advertising: Is not allowed except in the form of members promoting personal MA events or seminars. Adverts that are clearly profit related should be deleted and the offender warned accordingly.

"Advertising" by word of mouth recommendations, in my view, are acceptable, so long the recommendation is in "good faith". I.e. if you simply recommend a product and in passing, mentioned the fact that this is how much it costs, and where to get it from, then it is, IMO, acceptable, as long as there is no financial gain to you by recommending such product. According to the guidelines, an MA event or seminar would clearly be exempt.

If however, you name a product from which you stand to obtain a financial or pecuniary interest, a price, and where the product may be obtained from, then I believe in all fairness, that is advertising. As such, you should do the right thing and purchase ad space on this site.

Does that clarify things?

#185474 - 09/30/05 09:35 AM Re: what is advertising? [Re: glad2bhere]
JoelM Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Georgia, USA
Quote:

What I DON'T get an impression for is what accomodations are made for people who are particularly serious about their studies.

You seem to have a serious deficiency about admitting that you are wrong or that others have anything to offer you. Did you go back and read any of those posts in which I showed you? Are those not serious discussions by people who are serious about their studies? I doubt you will respond to this, just like last time, because you know I have proven you wrong, even if you won't admit to it.

#185475 - 09/30/05 10:49 AM Re: what is advertising? [Re: glad2bhere]
Kintama Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Massachusetts
I know little or nothing about Hapkido. I know slightly more than a passing knowledge of Korean history. I don't know any Korean language or even the difference between dialects. So as a starting point, I'll take your challenge and go out on a limb and tell you how I percieve Korean Arts in general.
You are the first person that prompted me to take note of the Art Hapkido. There are several levels of what I see. on the surface level is the bombardment of Mcdojos of Hapkido that tell me it's an art as saturated in the current mainstream as TKD. dig a bit deeper and you see that Hapkido was built upon several martial arts and principles at a time when Korea had a severe identity crisis (and still does to a certain degree) having been invaded and reinvaded over the past 1,000 years, people were starting to question...what is actually indigenous of the Korean peninsula? lots of government money went into archeology to dig up an identity. 'coincidently', one of the things 'discovered' during this time was a national martial art. rooted deep in Chinese arts, but later heavily influenced by Japan's version of fighting - In the past <100 years, legitimate Korean-born Japan-trained masters motivated to put a Korean face to MA added a bit of this, changed some of that...some changes for better, some for appearences and for 'look and feel' put a name to it and find justifications that it's indigenous.
This isn't to say Korea never had their own Art, it's more about not being able to find evidence enough to build unique fighting principles...if there were such unique ideas, whos to say the invaders didn't learn it and call it their own...who knows. some people argue that many fundamental sword practices of Japan's samurai were borrowed arts from Korea. improbable but possible.
The point is, whatever was practiced on the peninsular at the time when hand-to-hand or sword combat was relavent has been more lost than carried on thru lineage. The things that have been created in the past 100 years in Korean MA was in attempt to rebuild that broken chain....they had to start somewhere.

topic tie-in: You and your books are another mend to that broken chain...while I commend and appreciate the amount of research that goes into works - on this particular subject, with so little peices of the puzzle available, I have to question how much is Art-pride/style-blindness, repackaging Japan arts in Korean language and just plain ego-tripping of having the illusion of knowing something that others do not.
I risk thinking about this all wrong and posting for all to see my ignorance...thats ok, because when you correct it we will all learn...or is this information reserved for people buying your books?

#185476 - 09/30/05 12:02 PM Re: what is advertising? [Re: glad2bhere]
laf7773 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Limbo
Quote:

"....Again i ask if you have such low opinions of everyone here, why are you still here? Are you looking for some sort of validation?...."

When people want information about the martial arts many of them go out to the Internet. So far I get the impression that moderators here have a pretty clear view of what they owe this website. I also think that mods here have a pretty good idea of what it takes to provide a playground for MA "hangers-on". What I DON'T get an impression for is what accomodations are made for people who are particularly serious about their studies. Think of my observation as the difference between you offering services at the level of BALCK BELT magazine, and me wondering why there isn't more at the level of JAMA? Thoughts?

Best Wishes,

Bruce

How does this answer my question? Why are you still here? You condemn this site and it's members at every turn but you don't leave. When asked why instead of answering the question you banter on about the "short comings" of the moderators here again, but still no answer to the question. In one breath you say you want us (moderators) to take accountability for the site and "improve" it in order for the "serious" practitioners to have a quality discussion but then you turn around and claim the mass majority of members here are either incapable or uninterested in such discussions.

Why should this entire forum change because YOU want it to?

Why do you continue to come here when it's obvious it's not going to?

What is it about your life that you feel you must attempt to lord your self over every one here?

Are you looking for praise?

Are you looking for a pat on the back?

Are you looking for recognition? Or do you simply want someone to tell you how right you are and grovel for you to enlighten them?

At any rate you believe yourself to be at a much higher level than anyone else here. You feel YOU hold the key and we are but the pathetic masses that fail to understand your logic. The fact is you DON'T have all the answers and you are blinded by your delusions of grandeur.

You claim you were not advertising but lets look at the post in question. As said before you named your product, price, what the purchaser may gain from buying your product and where they can get it (your web site). If that wasn't enough at the end of that post in your signature you named you rank in the arts you study as if to validate why people should by from you. This is something you haven't done in any of your other posts. This is blatant advertising and no matter how many times you say it's not it isn't going to change that.

You can continue to play your little games but i assure you it's getting old.

#185477 - 09/30/05 12:54 PM Re: what is advertising? [Re: laf7773]
glad2bhere Offline
Enthusiast

Dear Lane:

I answered your question. Apparently you are unable or unwilling to understand or accept the answer. That is not my problem. You asked a question and I answered it. I understand now that you are asking the same question again and expecting--- what? A different answer?

For what reason would I possibly want to waste my time playing such a foolish game with you. My view on this was sufficient for dealing with Joel. I see no reason why I cannot extend the premise to you.

Regards.

#185478 - 09/30/05 01:00 PM Re: what is advertising? [Re: Kintama]
glad2bhere Offline
Enthusiast

Dear Ed:

"....The point is, whatever was practiced on the peninsular at the time when hand-to-hand or sword combat was relavent has been more lost than carried on thru lineage. The things that have been created in the past 100 years in Korean MA was in attempt to rebuild that broken chain....they had to start somewhere....."

I was wrong. To call you a moron as I did on the other thread does a disservice to morons everywhere. Your understanding of Korean history in the immediate sense, and the development of KMA in the larger sense is abysmal. Where you ever got the sad tripe you just dished up is anybodies guess. Not that I don't have my suspicions.

Regards.

#185479 - 09/30/05 01:22 PM Re: what is advertising? [Re: glad2bhere]
oldman Offline
Professional Poster

Bruce,
In a number of threads recently you have used a phrase something along the lines of "I have my suspicions" would you help me to understand what you are suspicious about?

#185480 - 09/30/05 01:44 PM Re: what is advertising? [Re: glad2bhere]
Kintama Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Massachusetts
lol...then correct me. or are you saying I'll have to buy your books?
You challenge people to take a risk and then cut them down when they are wrong? geeez...I'd hate to be one of your students.

p.s. you are getting better at insults. that one almost had a touch of humor to it. it's a step. now try to insult with original humor...much more effective and richer in entertainment value. IMO. FWIW.

edit-on second thought don't bother, I found your article:
http://users.iafrica.com/a/as/ashihara/hapkido.htm
wow, that is completely different from the history I made up...lol
our tactics in desminating information are a bit different though, I tend to 'tell it like it is' and you tend to 'dazzle em with BS'.... 'B.S.' meaning your name of course.

#185481 - 09/30/05 02:02 PM Re: what is advertising? [Re: glad2bhere]
JoelM Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Georgia, USA
Quote:

I was wrong. To call you a moron as I did on the other thread does a disservice to morons everywhere.

Might I remind you that insulting others is against forum rules, please stop.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga