FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 35 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
ksusanc, kellypnik123, leyinn, Ron_Cooley, businns
22902 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 12
cxt 7
trevek 6
JKogas 5
TaekwonDoFan 2
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/14/14 10:49 PM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/11/14 03:36 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
10 San Sik drills-Wing Chun's foundation
by futsaowingchun
06/30/14 11:20 AM
"Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2" the movies.
by TaekwonDoFan
06/30/14 11:02 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
12/30/13 08:32 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Prizewriter
04/16/12 02:48 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
04/12/12 11:16 AM
Forget all that health stuff
by MattJ
10/28/10 08:51 AM
Recent Posts
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by cxt
07/24/14 11:35 AM
centerline concepts
by Dobbersky
07/18/14 06:14 AM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/14/14 04:50 PM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:38 AM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:35 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
07/09/14 06:13 AM
Throwing
by JKogas
07/03/14 07:40 PM
10 San Sik drills-Wing Chun's foundation
by futsaowingchun
06/30/14 11:20 AM
"Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2" the movies.
by TaekwonDoFan
06/30/14 11:02 AM
Forget all that health stuff
by TaekwonDoFan
06/29/14 03:18 AM
Forum Stats
22902 Members
36 Forums
35563 Topics
432450 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5
Topic Options
#185492 - 09/30/05 04:37 PM Re: what is advertising? [Re: glad2bhere]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
Quote by G2BH -

Quote:

Excuse Me, Matt, but Ed's post had so many mistakes in it I doubt there would have been enough bandwidth to allow for the corrections. And pardon me, but what would be the point of correcting it?

If I wrote it (which I didn't)

and you read it (which you wouldn't)

and you understood and accepted it (which you won't)

you would simply come back in a minute, a day, an hour or a month and ask the same thing again. You would not do any reading or research. You WOULD however continue to pass yourself off as someone who wants to talk about Martial Arts even if you can't get your facts straight beyond vague oral traditions.

BURN!!!

I have to laugh at the irony of your wishing to raise the intellectual level and sophistication of this site....but not answering questions because we're too dumb to understand them.

BWAHAHAHAHA. Nice dodge. You have an interesting "teaching" style, sir. "I would explain the roundhouse kick to you.....but you won't understand. *sigh*"

And you are correct that my knowledge of many MA histories is pathetic. I will admit this. However, I do not need to know the history of the sidekick (or whatever) to be able to USE it. FWIW.

Why don't you "risk" educating us. We might learn something.

#185493 - 09/30/05 08:04 PM Re: what is advertising? [Re: glad2bhere]
eyrie Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: QLD, Australia
Quote:

... My agenda has been simple. If FIGHTING ARTS can pander to the kids and sperflous and superficial posts, I want to know why there is not a concerted effort to push for greater sophistication.

This from the FA advertising info:
Quote:

Overview of our readers:

Gender 82% Male
Age - 60% in the 25-45 age range
Education 67% at least some college
Occupations - Over 50 % Management, professional or technical
Household Income - 46% income over $35,000

Years Of Martial Arts Experience
10 Years + 54%
5-10 Years 19%
1-5 Years 21%
0-1 Year 6%

I'm not sure what the sample size is, but that's an overwhelming majority of college educated ADULT participants with 10 or more years MA experience. I strongly recommend you familiarize yourself with Transactional Analysis.

Quote:

I went so far as to volunteer my own personal project for discussion and scrutiny ----not that it came to anything---- and you can pretty much see where THAT went.

If you had not mentioned the price and where it was availabe for purchase, perhaps the reception would have been warmer.

#185494 - 09/30/05 08:42 PM Re: what is advertising? [Re: eyrie]
glad2bhere Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Lindenhurst, Illinois USA
C'mon, Eyrie. Wake-up and smell the Ben-Gay.

My posts were deleted because somebody determined that I was "advertising". Give me a break! But, Hey! Don't believe me. Do your own research. Go to any of the threads in which "somebody" innocently asks "gee, which MA should I take" and count how many posts there are before someone finally names a website, location or teacher. You folks have had "advertising" going on this site for monthes. Do you "really" think people need to come onto an international venue to find a MA location in their OWN AREA??? But don't feel bad, it happens on a lot of nets and has been going on for years. The MMA people are the worst. (For instance, take a look at the "thinking of learning Ju-jitsu (sic)" thread. The 8th post identified a website for MMA. --- thank you Matt----The "native american thread only took TWO and there is another one "I'm new here". I wonder how many that one will take?)

Here's the dodge.

Innocent #1 comes on and asks an innocuous question.

Rescuer 1, 2 and 3 provide varying bits of information or suggestions. At this point things can go one of two ways.

a.) Rescuer #4 comes on the scene and provides a bit of contact info. Innocent #1 has problems with that so Rescuer #4 "clarifies" ---- by ADDING more info. Innocent #1 has problems there so Rescuer #4 adds MORE info. Since it is a protracted exchange noone seems to notice that Rescuer 4 is getting all of the info about the art, location, and teaching out to an international audience.

b.) Alternately Innocent #1 begins to be more and more antagonistic about what he is looking for and how the other suggestions are somehow less. In an effort to support his arguement Innocent #1 begins to name persons, places and things, usually because his counterparts are continually asking for him to back up his arguements. All he has to do is tick them off enough and they will practically BEG him to "advertise" on their thread.

I have no doubt that the powers that be were all clapping themselves on the back for catching that naughty Korean stylist for trying to "slip" an advetisement by them. Yeah, these Mods are just so "darn" sharp. Can I have that break now?

BTW: The demographics you quoted were to recruit advertisers, yes? What did you think they were going to say about the demographics here? "Hey, come advertise here! Of course, we treat to the "slowest-common-denominator" with little or no disposable income, but ehy, thats life on the Internet. Just because most contributors are too lazy or "intellectually challenged" to do their own research including an occasional GOOGLE now and then does not mean you CAN'T sell them something, right?"

Best Wishes,

Bruce

Edited by glad2bhere (09/30/05 09:13 PM)

#185495 - 09/30/05 09:35 PM Re: what is advertising? [Re: glad2bhere]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Quote by G2BH -

Quote:

The 8th post identified a website for MMA. --- thank you Matt

*sound of buzzer*

Nice try, but my post was not advertising. Here's why:

1) I have no financial interest in the site that I put up. This is the critical difference between my post and yours - you stood to gain directly from mention of your product. That is advertising.

2) My post and the related site were in answer to another poster's question about whether a given style existed at all. I posted a link to an actual school (randomly) to verify that the style in question IS actually taught somewhere.

Thanks for playing, here is your lovely parting gift - a tube of Ben Gay, original scent.

#185496 - 09/30/05 10:16 PM Re: what is advertising? [Re: MattJ]
glad2bhere Offline
Enthusiast

Of course, not, Matt. "Advertising" is what the OTHER guy does. You? Ah, well, YOU were just "informing". You are SUCH a good guy passing around "information". You could have encouraged the person to do a GOOGLE and drawn his own conclusions. Nice guy that you are, though, you probably thought it would be a nice gesture to provide the information directly to that individual---- and coincidentally to the reast of the INTERNET community.

Nor do we have anything but your word that you get no reinforcement for your effort. Maybe just making sure that one more MMA venue gets identified in the International market is enough for you, yes?

I suppose it would be a real stretch that the guy wrote in about MMA. You provided MMA information and you happen to like a variety of arts (including BJJ) in your profile. Sorta makes you an MMA ("mixed martial arts") advocate, doesn't it? Thank Gawd it wasn't advertising, yes?

Regards.

Edited by glad2bhere (09/30/05 10:22 PM)

#185497 - 09/30/05 10:48 PM Re: what is advertising? [Re: glad2bhere]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Quote:

Of course, not, Matt. "Advertising" is what the OTHER guy does. You? Ah, well, YOU were just "informing". You are SUCH a good guy passing around "information". You could have encouraged the person to do a GOOGLE and drawn his own conclusions.

I could have done that.....and I could have also stood on my head and jammed pine cones in my eyes. What is your point? I was not advertising - there is no financial gain in it for me.

A forum full of "GOOGLE IT" responses would be a pretty boring forum, yes? Aren't we here to share information? Free of charge?

Quote:

Nice guy that you are, though, you probably thought it would be a nice gesture to provide the information directly to that individual---- and coincidentally to the reast of the INTERNET community.

Yes, stating the obvious.... we are connected to the internet here.

Quote:

Nor do we have anything but your word that you get no reinforcement for your effort. Maybe just making sure that one more MMA venue gets identified in the International market is enough for you, yes?

Ahhh....when you can't defend your point, you raise the DREADED CONSPIRACY MONSTER BLEARGHGHGG! You would have me display my tax returns and bank statements for proof? But OH NO!!!!!! What if I am getting cash payments as a kickback? No records! Horrors!!!!!!! NOW WHAT ?!

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Quote:

I suppose it would be a real stretch that the guy wrote in about MMA. You provided MMA information and you happen to like a variety of arts (including BJJ) in your profile. Sorta makes you an MMA ("mixed martial arts") advocate, doesn't it? Thank Gawd it wasn't advertising, yes?

The guy asked about American jujitsu....I provided him some info on American jujitsu. Free of charge. Unlike your post.

And yes, I have some interest in MMA (as it relates to self defense).....but not a financial interest. And the true, competition oriented MMA guys probably laugh at me.

#185498 - 09/30/05 11:05 PM Re: what is advertising? [Re: MattJ]
glad2bhere Offline
Enthusiast

Not all advertising need produce a direct financial or fiduciary benefit to you. There is an entire range of advertising that is devoted almost exclusively to "putting the word out", to encouraging an icon or trademark for universal recognition, and for developing name recognition. This is especially true in the services industries such as banking, real estate and ... well.... martial arts. For some people advertising is enough to know that their "team" is getting exposure.... sorta like what you provided with your "information". But don't feel too bad (or go ahead and feel bad if you want to).... take a look at how many recommendations have gone through the sword area for Chen, HANWEI, CAS and BUGEI Trading. Thank Gawd it was all only "information" and not "advertising".

Regards.

#185499 - 09/30/05 11:16 PM Re: what is advertising? [Re: glad2bhere]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

G2BH -

Yes, well the financial or fiduciary concerns of advertising are the primary topics at hand, yes?

Advocacy of this or that MA or training paradigm is tolerated within reason....to be expected to a degree, yes? As long as it is not entering forum violating areas of art-bashing or advertising for financial gain, etc.

#185500 - 09/30/05 11:20 PM Re: what is advertising? [Re: glad2bhere]
Kintama Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Massachusetts
lol...you mean like you mentioning Hapkido in every post?

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga