FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 48 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
AndyLA, danacohenn, ksusanc, kellypnik123, leyinn
22904 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 15
cxt 8
trevek 6
futsaowingchun 3
JKogas 2
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
New Topics
Applied center line theory
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:55 AM
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/14/14 10:49 PM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/11/14 03:36 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
12/30/13 08:32 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Prizewriter
04/16/12 02:48 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
04/12/12 11:16 AM
Throwing
by
04/23/05 10:58 PM
Recent Posts
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by cxt
Today at 12:01 PM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Dobbersky
07/29/14 05:11 AM
Applied center line theory
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:55 AM
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:53 AM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/14/14 04:50 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:35 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
07/09/14 06:13 AM
Throwing
by JKogas
07/03/14 07:40 PM
Forum Stats
22904 Members
36 Forums
35564 Topics
432457 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#185482 - 09/30/05 03:12 PM Re: what is advertising? [Re: glad2bhere]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
Well, Bruce. You certainly proved Kintama right with that lovely observation about Kin's KMA post. Didn't see you correct anything he said either.

I did see a blatant personal attack - which is yet another violation of forum rules. We DON'T need you.

#185483 - 09/30/05 03:31 PM Re: what is advertising? [Re: JoelM]
glad2bhere Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Lindenhurst, Illinois USA
Joel:
Had it been "I" who published the foul crap that Kintama just wrote about Korean martial traditions but had made disparaging remarks about the Japanese culture--- you know, those Emperor-worshipping sword-swingers on the other side of the Eastern Sea you would have been all over me. However, Ed is going to get away with what he wrote because it is consistent with how people ---- especially practitioners of Japanese arts WANT to view Korean arts. It is in the best interests of the Japanese ultra-nationalist agenda of WW II and before as well as not a few returning Korean Ex-pats to continue to talk about how Korean Arts "died" long ago.

WHAT BETTER EXAMPLE OF EVERYTHING I HAVE BEEN SAYING than to see such slander accepted because its consistent with the popular view. It was the same with the judgement about the advertising. It was not a fair call, but it certainly was the popular call and therefore it stood.

Hey, you know what "I'M" up for? How about you do some more lecturing on rules and whats right and whats wrong. A person could probably be forgiven for concluding there is more than a little "moral flexibility" in your definitions. There certainly is in your applications.

Regards.

#185484 - 09/30/05 03:41 PM Re: what is advertising? [Re: glad2bhere]
harlan Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Amherst, MA
Is there such a thing as a 'time out'? I am sorry GTBH, but you do come across as stiff necked and with an agenda to promote your stuff. I find your arguments interesting...but I find dead leaves interesting...and am in the minority.

And it takes two to fight. I should mind my own business...but just pointing out that folks have the option to NOT respond.

#185485 - 09/30/05 03:44 PM Re: what is advertising? [Re: MattJ]
glad2bhere Offline
Enthusiast

Excuse Me, Matt, but Ed's post had so many mistakes in it I doubt there would have been enough bandwidth to allow for the corrections. And pardon me, but what would be the point of correcting it?

If I wrote it (which I didn't)

and you read it (which you wouldn't)

and you understood and accepted it (which you won't)

you would simply come back in a minute, a day, an hour or a month and ask the same thing again. You would not do any reading or research. You WOULD however continue to pass yourself off as someone who wants to talk about Martial Arts even if you can't get your facts straight beyond vague oral traditions.

Regards.

#185486 - 09/30/05 03:45 PM Re: what is advertising? [Re: glad2bhere]
oldman Offline
Professional Poster

Quote:

It was the same with the judgement about the advertising. It was not a fair call, but it certainly was the popular call and therefore it stood.

What do you see as unfair about it? The call on advertising I mean.

#185487 - 09/30/05 03:50 PM Re: what is advertising? [Re: harlan]
glad2bhere Offline
Enthusiast

".....Is there such a thing as a 'time out'? I am sorry GTBH, but you do come across as stiff necked and with an agenda to promote your stuff......."

No, Harlan. I appreciate your thoughts, but Joel's last post in conjunction with Ed's is a perfect example of what this has all been about. My agenda has been simple. If FIGHTING ARTS can pander to the kids and sperflous and superficial posts, I want to know why there is not a concerted effort to push for greater sophistication.

I went so far as to volunteer my own personal project for discussion and scrutiny ----not that it came to anything---- and you can pretty much see where THAT went.

Perhaps the reception would be warmer if, like one of those guys that goes searching for an organization to give them rank, I could approach FIGHTING ARTS with about a thousand unique IP-s to be sold to the mailing list companies, yes?

Everybody has their price, right?

Best Wishes,

Bruce

#185488 - 09/30/05 03:51 PM Re: what is advertising? [Re: glad2bhere]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
Quote by G2BH -

Quote:

Had it been "I" who published the foul crap that Kintama just wrote about Korean martial traditions but had made disparaging remarks about the Japanese culture

Ok, please sit down. Point out the 'disparaging' comments. The things that Kintama pointed out as questionable parts of KMA history have been pointed out at various times at CMA and JMA as well. Hell, even American catch-wrestling has had it's origins questioned. Have you forgetten your time on Bullshido?

Your art-centric view of things here is coloring your perception of people's input. Disagreement does NOT equal denigration.

#185489 - 09/30/05 03:55 PM Re: what is advertising? [Re: glad2bhere]
oldman Offline
Professional Poster

So... I'm still trying here I may be a little slow on the uptake but let me see if I understand. Your goal is to make Fighting arts.com a better site by elevating the sophistication of the posts and dialog? It appears that Kintama has given you the perfect opportunity to refute his statements. An acheive your purpose.

One other thing,

Quote:

Perhaps the reception would be warmer if, like one of those guys that goes searching for an organization to give them rank, I could approach FIGHTING ARTS with about a thousand unique IP-s to be sold to the mailing list companies, yes?

I'd really like to say the I know what someone could do with a thousand IP addresses but I don't have a clue. To be honest I'm not even sure what one is. Are you implying that the site owner is selling peoples information?

#185490 - 09/30/05 04:23 PM Re: what is advertising? [Re: glad2bhere]
Kintama Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Massachusetts
I simply took your challenge: you asked for people to risk themselves by posting what they knew...I did so and asked in advance for your correction. Koreans have had a unfair position in world history...their only crime: geography. They've been surrounded by bullies for centuries. Every society is entitled to dignity... but far be it for you to be their spokesperson...hell, you can't even speak their language. Do you think ANY article you write will be taken seriously by any Korean? no, all they have to do is open a book in their own language and find out the real version... but you'd already know that if you could read hangul and hancha - for all you know, you could be spending your life rediscoving things already written at the public library in Seoul.

from a Korean point of view, you are nothing - you are an observer...once you realize that, you'll be able to speak on the level of reality with the rest here. We are speaking from a point of view as it relates to the culture in which each live...if you've lived in another country or have family in another country or speak another language that gained you access to that culture other than having a library card somewhere in the midwest of America - then I'd like to hear your experiences...I just can't buy into your vast book knowledge and research as anything tangible or reliable. The fact that you've re-compiled this info into your own books is regurgitation...if you didn't read it from the source (Korean and or Chinese), then how can you be possibly creating anything new?
The current great researchers in MA like Patrick McCarthy and Mark Bishop for instance have lived and trained in the countries they have written about, they know the language can speak to the people, look into their eyes and listen and feel what they are saying...this comes thru in their writting. yours is a fact-based regurgitation of hearsay that has propegated across an ocean. much of it probably factually true...but lacking in 'soul'.

Get a sense of humor and travel...then write about it.

#185491 - 09/30/05 04:32 PM Re: what is advertising? [Re: Kintama]
oldman Offline
Professional Poster

Quote:

but lacking in 'soul'.

Didn't you mean "Seoul" ?

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga