FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 38 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Shanktotheright, royal, bobgalle100011, agenonline, TooNice
22862 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
THEFOREVERMAN 3
MattJ 2
royal 2
Dobbersky 2
SoulJah22 1
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
New Topics
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by Marcus Charles
03/24/14 04:39 PM
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Dobbersky
03/20/14 05:45 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
AKK kata question
by
09/04/05 01:27 PM
Recent Posts
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:22 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:20 AM
AKK kata question
by MattJ
04/04/14 05:45 PM
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Forum Stats
22862 Members
36 Forums
35546 Topics
432378 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#185377 - 09/12/05 12:36 PM Guide to Pressure Point Basics
Gavin Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Southend, Essex, UK
Hi guys,

To go along side the Point of the Week posts, I've tried to write a brief guide to the basics of PP attacking. I hope its of interest. Apologies for the quality of the writing, I didn't have alot of time to work on it.

It's on my website. I would have stuck it on here, but couldn't figure out how to get the images working.

Jango, does that answer your queries about angles???

The article is here:

http://www.gosokempo.com/ppbasics.htm

Regards,

Gav

#185378 - 09/13/05 08:26 AM Re: Guide to Pressure Point Basics [Re: Gavin]
kempo_student Offline

Loc: Venice, Italy
Hi Gavin,
Well done... is a good guide to begin to understand pp...
But i will not define the intent as a basic... intent is essential to move your chi but isn't a basic concept... (this is only an observation).
Do you think to continue to work to that guide expanding it? So, in future, i will send my students to study it.

P.S. Point of the week is becoming a success, because let you a week to concentrate on a point without doing confusion studying 10 points at time

Bye bye and thank you for the time you're dedicating writing about pp

Daniele Nosella

#185379 - 09/13/05 08:56 AM Re: Guide to Pressure Point Basics [Re: kempo_student]
Gavin Offline
Professional Poster

Hi Daniel,

I'd really like to expand this guide. I'll agree that intent is not a basic concept, but at the level I'm pitching the guide at I just wanted to concerntrate on introducing the principle.

So if we were to expand the guide, what should we include?

Gav

PS. Glad your liking the PP of the week!

#185380 - 09/14/05 08:28 AM Re: Guide to Pressure Point Basics [Re: Gavin]
MAGr Offline
Veteran

Loc: London, home: Athens
I m also liking the PP of the week. I had no idea about pressure points and I have looked extensively over the google results with all the sites having incomplete and kinda specialized explanations.
I am now a certified fan of your site!

I have two questions however.
1. Are the PP points symetrical on the body? i.e. if there is a certain pp on one leg is it also in the same spot with the same effect on the other leg?

2. Can I try the application with a partner or is it dangerous with all that rupturing/meridian malarkey?

#185381 - 09/14/05 09:21 AM Re: Guide to Pressure Point Basics [Re: MAGr]
Gavin Offline
Professional Poster

Quote:

I am now a certified fan of your site!

Hey, we've got our first fan! But are you a certified fan or a fan who's be certified???

Quote:

1. Are the PP points symetrical on the body? i.e. if there is a certain pp on one leg is it also in the same spot with the same effect on the other leg?

The points of the 12 Main meridians which have points located on both sides of the body. These are:

- Bladder
- Gall Bladder
- Heart
- Kidney
- Large Intestine (aka Colon)
- Liver
- Lung
- Pericardium (aka Heart Protector )
- Small Intestine
- Spleen
- Stomach
- Triple Warmer (aka Triple Heater or Triple Burner)

There are then 8 Extraordinary Meridians of which only 2 have their own points:

- The Governor Vessel
- The Conceptor Vessel

These two meridians are single entities, the Conceptor vessel runs down the centre of the front of the body, and the Governor Vessel runs down the centre of the back (along the spine). The rest of the Extraordinary meridians share points with the other meridians. To be honest I'm only just starting to get into this part of the PP's, so aren't really qualified to talk in this area. Once I start getting into my Shiatsu studies I hope to start writing alot more about them.

Quote:

2. Can I try the application with a partner or is it dangerous with all that rupturing/meridian malarkey?

Oh, now that's a humdinger of a question. I've been playing around with PP striking since I was about 18 (now 27), and besides a few twitches, daily blackouts and my leg falling off I've not suffered any side effects. Seriously, in my personal experience I've not experienced any problems, barring intense pain when they're applied properly.

This is something that really needs to be covered in the guide and I like to have a bit of a discussion about it first, before I add it.

These are the tips I've been told, and have sailed me pretty much safe thus far:

• If you are applying a point and not getting an effect, don't hit it harder. The chances are that your not attacking it correctly.
  • Don't switch sides when trying applications. So if your striking the right side of your opponent, stick to the right side, don't switch and try it on their left side.
  • Limit your practice of actual striking to a maximum of 2 hours a week. You can drill the applications without actually striking the specific points.
  • Never use more the 3-5% power.
  • NEVER EVER hit the points full speed and power.
  • Use extreme caution when attacking the points near the heart.
  • Always respect your training partner, go softly and work harder only with their permission. They will tell you if they aer able to take any more.
  • Always have an experienced instructor with you, who knows first aid!

Anyone got anything to add?

gav

Anyone else got

#185382 - 09/14/05 11:03 AM Re: Guide to Pressure Point Basics [Re: Gavin]
Jango Offline

Yep well done Gavin I think everyone who wants to learn should def. check out the angles page. It is very important.

As for as the safety tips you gave I think it covers quite alot. The people who are gona do this should know that they might be KO'ed very very easily easily so they must know the proper revival technique or know someone who does.

J.

#185383 - 09/14/05 11:10 AM Re: Guide to Pressure Point Basics [Re: Jango]
webby Offline

Loc: newton abbot devon
hi there gav i found your pp right up very use full!! and the pp of the week is a great sucsess........congrats and keep them coming

webby!

#185384 - 09/14/05 12:49 PM Re: Guide to Pressure Point Basics [Re: Jango]
Gavin Offline
Professional Poster

I'm very very reluctant to put revival tips down on the list. The first is that I don't indulge in nor promote PP KO's for demo purposes. The only people I have a desire to K.O are the very people I don't want to be bringing back round. Its a big bone of contention within the PP world. Personally, I can demonstrate effective PP applications without K.O'ing someone, and I don't want to risk anyones safety for a demo. It's just a personal point of view, but I think the slightest risk of harm to my training partner for the sake of a demo is not worth it. So I feel documenting the revival techniques mearly encourages people to go out and bang each other out, which is a moral stance I have taken not to do. I'm trying to keep my posts obscure enough so that they will only be of use to experienced Martial Artists to make use of, people who *should* understand the consequences of their actions.

My second reason, more an extention of the first, is that teaching revival techniques, without supervision is inviting people to harm each other. If I show you personally how to revive someone, I can tell whether or not you understand. Putting techniques in writing could lead people to believe they have a clue what they are doing and start whapping each other out. Reading a webpage, regardless of how well it is writtern, doesn't mean that the readers of said webpage will have a true understanding. I don't want any accidents resulting from my ramblings.

Hope that stance doesn't offend those who practice K.O's, I still want the information to be put out there...I'm just trying to ensure peoples safety....seems a bit of a backwards point of view considering I'm telling people how to apply the points properly....

#185385 - 09/14/05 07:45 PM Re: Guide to Pressure Point Basics [Re: Gavin]
Jango Offline

Your right Gavin some people might not be able to pull it off at all. But some that can might abuse it if they know the revival techniques.

Revival techniques are on our list because it is just so EASY to KO someone when practicing PP, I cannot stress that enough.

But I think I agree with you in not posting the revival techniques online.

Good posts keep up the good work.

Regards,
Jango.

#185386 - 09/15/05 03:50 AM Re: Guide to Pressure Point Basics [Re: Gavin]
kempo_student Offline

Loc: Venice, Italy
Hi Gavin,
I was skeptic to the idea of sharing on internet Kyusho information, so I asked to my instructor and he said me that there's no problem to share kyusho infos but I must be general without explaining the principles deeply, deeply...
So to answer to you I think that you can continue introducting BAR or the 5 kyusho general principles:
-Attack along the same meridian
-Attack yin e yang
-Attack in the cycle of destruction
-Attack in accordance with the diurnal cycle
-The special points
If you need infos about these concepts you have only to ask...
I'm happy to help you building this guide

Bye bye

Daniele Nosella

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga