FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 37 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
old1, Leonar, ManLar, Vimido, raya
22925 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
futsaowingchun 4
Ronin1966 3
GojuRyuboy13 2
ergees 1
Victor Smith 1
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by Leo_E_49
01/24/12 02:58 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by
05/13/07 08:02 AM
Recent Posts
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
Yesterday at 07:20 AM
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by swordy
10/11/14 09:21 AM
The Karate punch
by Ronin1966
10/09/14 03:16 PM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ronin1966
10/08/14 09:22 PM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by AndyLA
10/04/14 10:20 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Forum Stats
22925 Members
36 Forums
35582 Topics
432510 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Topic Options
#185137 - 09/11/05 09:59 AM yoga practioner, please help
ETHEREALXFIGHTER Offline

Hi, sorry, looks like i have been busy posting asking questions lately.

My holiday is coming up and i planned to join the training in the taekwondo main gym as my usuall training is only on sat. and i was also planning to take up yoga as it helps flexibility. But now the time for these two activity clashed. SO do you guys think i should just have 3 trainings per week instead of 4 or i should have all four trainings and don't take up yoga.

I heard it helps a lot in flexibility and flexibility is vital for taekwondo.

What are the other benefits you guys noticed? thanks a lot^^

this is a great forum:)

#185138 - 09/11/05 10:09 AM Re: yoga practioner, please help [Re: ETHEREALXFIGHTER]
Leo_E_49 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: California
No need to apologise, it's always encouraging to hear from an inquisitive student. Keep asking questions and you'll go far. Yoga helps but you'll get plenty of flexibility training in TKD on its own. But if you enjoy yoga a lot, go for it.

#185139 - 09/11/05 12:06 PM Re: yoga practioner, please help [Re: ETHEREALXFIGHTER]
ETHEREALXFIGHTER Offline

I haven't started yoga so i dunno if i will like it.

Um, what are the other benefits which i can obtain for practicing yoga? i planned to take yoga for flexibility. If it can help improve my flexibily faster than usual training.
Um, i don't really know about yoga but yoga practioners have really great flexibility. am i wrong?
What about the meditation stuffs? helps? focus perhaps?

Please i need to know

thanks

#185140 - 09/12/05 05:27 AM Re: yoga practioner, please help [Re: ETHEREALXFIGHTER]
Supremor Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: UK
Take Yoga and see if you like it. After all, 3 times a week is plenty for a few weeks while you see if you enjoy the Yoga class. You'll regret it if you abandon your chance of doing something new, so definitely give it a try.

#185141 - 09/15/05 11:18 AM Re: yoga practioner, please help [Re: Supremor]
ETHEREALXFIGHTER Offline

Thanks for the info, hey, it's ok to do trAINing three times a week and have one yoga class right? i'm not overdoing it right?

#185142 - 09/15/05 04:13 PM Re: yoga practioner, please help [Re: ETHEREALXFIGHTER]
StormDOA Offline

Loc: Lansing, Mich., USA
I have taught quite a few yogo students TKD, but I have to say that they honestly do not do that well. Yoga builds a great deal of flexibilty but you have to remember that kicking is not just flexibility and there are many different kinds of stretching. I would try to study some stretching rather intensely and the ndevelopment a regimen of TKD and other combat oriented drills and stretching and of course some weights.
And you have to ask yourself what you want from your flexibility. Are you trying improve your kicking height or range or are aiming for more power or are you trying to avoid injury and improve the health and longevity of your martial arts and body?
The best example I can use is that of ballet, I started ballet as a 2nd dan to try to master a double front kick (you know the flashy split aerial ). I saw that the ballet students I knew were very flexible and could leap very high so I thought it would help.
I got the kick eventually, but I got it because I understood the bio-mechanics involved not because of the ballet, which teaches a totally different kind of flexibility and strength. It is now 12 years later and I still do ballet (I know haha, ballet, but really fellas it does help).
Incidently although ballet partners I know can drop into the splits , stick their leg up straight behind them, not a one of them kicks well. Flexibility comes from many different forms and applications.
I consider myself in good shape, I do and have done everything from aerobics and ballet to Pilates and Yogo, all of them have their uses, but none of them would have served all my training needs.

My advice is to look at what you want, identify it and the components needed to reach it, then start developing those areas.

#185143 - 09/16/05 04:26 AM Re: yoga practioner, please help [Re: StormDOA]
ETHEREALXFIGHTER Offline

Well.... in the end i just wanted yoga to help me in my techniques, kicking power and speed plus flexibility. I want to train more to be able to perform more advanced moves. Does the meditation in yoga helps your focus or stuffs? If it can't help much. then maybe i should train taekwondo four times a week and don't take up yoga. PLease, i'm getting confused here.

Thanks

#185144 - 09/16/05 07:34 AM Re: yoga practioner, please help [Re: ETHEREALXFIGHTER]
Supremor Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: UK
Quote:

Well.... in the end i just wanted yoga to help me in my techniques, kicking power and speed plus flexibility. I want to train more to be able to perform more advanced moves. Does the meditation in yoga helps your focus or stuffs? If it can't help much. then maybe i should train taekwondo four times a week and don't take up yoga. PLease, i'm getting confused here.

I think StormDOA's post told you all you need to know there. Yoga will not significantly improve your speed or power. It is good for static flexibility and for a degree of static active flexibility.

It seems to me that you are thinking about yoga purely from a "will it help my TKD" perspective. This will mean you will not enjoy the yoga classes that much. In addition, since yoga is not going to help your TKD much, it's a better idea to just go to TKD.

First rule of thumb: You get better at doing something if you do it alot!

#185145 - 09/16/05 03:21 PM Re: yoga practioner, please help [Re: Supremor]
Littlpond Offline

Quote:

Quote:

I think StormDOA's post told you all you need to know there. Yoga will not significantly improve your speed or power. It is good for static flexibility and for a degree of static active flexibility.

It seems to me that you are thinking about yoga purely from a "will it help my TKD" perspective. This will mean you will not enjoy the yoga classes that much. In addition, since yoga is not going to help your TKD much, it's a better idea to just go to TKD.

First rule of thumb: You get better at doing something if you do it alot!

I think it more depends on the style of yoga practiced. I strongly disagree with both people that make blanket statments saying yoga will not help your martial arts. I have practiced both for years and yoga has surely greatly improved my cordination and power. I would suggest Astanga yoga. Which is very athlethic and difficult to do correctly. I would ask more about the style and goal of the yoga you are interested in practicing. A lot of the more popular styles of yoga are not as physical and focus more on relaxation and meditation and flexiblity. Also key is to find a good teacher.
Matt

#185146 - 09/22/05 07:26 AM Re: yoga practioner, please help [Re: Littlpond]
ETHEREALXFIGHTER Offline

:O Astanga yoga, ok, thanks a lot, i will try to ask the style of the yoga, if it is not astanga, i will have four trainings of tkd per week. If it is i will just add ayoga and minus a tkd. Thanks a lot guys

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga