FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 60 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Shanktotheright, royal, bobgalle100011, agenonline, TooNice
22862 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 3
MattJ 2
SoulJah22 1
royal 1
UKfightfreak 1
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
New Topics
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by Marcus Charles
03/24/14 04:39 PM
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Dobbersky
03/20/14 05:45 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
AKK kata question
by
09/04/05 01:27 PM
Recent Posts
AKK kata question
by MattJ
04/04/14 05:45 PM
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Jeff_G
03/30/14 12:44 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by Marcus Charles
03/24/14 04:39 PM
Forum Stats
22862 Members
36 Forums
35546 Topics
432375 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#184349 - 09/15/05 07:32 PM Re: HOW DO YOU TEST YOUR SYSTEM [Re: Neko456]
MAGr Offline
Veteran

Loc: London, home: Athens
Quote:

You will do well U sound like the movie star type

Hey man , thanks!
I always wanted to be a movie star, hell of a lot better than having two jobs and college at the same time.

I think all that 'real' martial arts has done something to your grammar.
I do martial arts for several reasons and yes self defence is one of them. But what is the point of learning to defend yourself by risking your health?
Maybe some people like it. Good for them and you and all the 'real' martial artists.

Part of the reason I do martial arts is that if I do get into a fight I wont have to pee blood. I dont see why looking for it makes you a better martial artist.
Makes you harder? I dont care how hard someone is, a throat strike is a throat strike, an eye gouge is an eye gouge, and if their knee is boken they wont be able to walk.

Quote:

Back then you got a warning if you knocked the guy out and didn't bring blood,

Oh yeah? Nowdays you win!
wait a minute! you win even if you DO bring blood!
Mate what are you talking about?

I would never endanger someone's life unless my life was in danger. That is not what a tournament is about.

So do you also practice neck snaps and elbow breaks??

I sincerely hope that I never have the misfortune of sparring with anyone as irresponsible as you sound.

#184350 - 09/16/05 09:59 AM Re: HOW DO YOU TEST YOUR SYSTEM [Re: MAGr]
Neko456 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Midwest City, Ok, USA
You didn't read my entire reply,

Its not like that now its padded and it just a hard fun game of tag, don't take it too serious.

As for your statment... I sincerely hope that I never have the misfortune of sparring with anyone as irresponsible as you sound.

I have retired for tourney competition, the last time I competed in 2003, I broke a guys nose, aiming for the side of his helmet. He turned into a hook kick, instead of ducking. The guy shook my hand and wished me well and left to go to the hospital. Everybody agree it was not my fault.

I kinda thought it was, irresponcible no just getting Old. I use to be fast enough that he wouldn't have reacted until my foot was back on the ground. By the way I won that event knocked down two spunky competitors, ribs got bruised theirs and mines. I had fun but I can tell I'm losing it, I'm still not sharp enough to continue tourney semi contact sparring with other full contact training, I do.

As for explaining what I meant by Back Then, you'd have to have been there. It was from a different era, I see I can't explain it now to you and I won't try again. One of the reason I admire Old men like Mike Stone, Chuck Norris, Byong Yu, Joe Lewis, Joe Hayes, Mark Warren, Little JohnDavis and Benny Urquiez is they still got all their teeth, another inside joke, you'd have to have been there.
Never fought them they were some of my idols, I was probably 5th kyu then.

Have fun its a young mans Game. Fore give me for trying to take back in the past.

Edited by Neko456 (09/16/05 10:08 AM)

#184351 - 09/16/05 07:11 PM Re: HOW DO YOU TEST YOUR SYSTEM [Re: Neko456]
ta_kuan_dao Offline

Loc: Memphis, TN
yeah i remember reading about the old school karate competitors like Joe Lewis, Chuck Norris, Benny Urquidez, Ron Van Clief, and Bill Wallace, and thnking that those were the great days of karate. Back then, ppl loved competing but also cared about reall fighting ability and techs. Unfortunately, now sport karate is ore about playing tag and sacrificing power for speed.
I bet u can tell i'm big-time exponent of full-contact, huh!

#184352 - 09/17/05 02:43 AM Re: HOW DO YOU TEST YOUR SYSTEM [Re: ta_kuan_dao]
mantis1997 Offline

yeah but know a days people have real world jobs and families to come home to and explaining a broken nose to your employer or a broken knee etc is a little harder you have to think real world i mean we all have a living to make if you really want to prove your art you have to go out on your own and test it if that means taking out the local yocals or some bouncer then that is what it takes i have no need to test my own art it is there for when i need it to defend my woman or my child or my mother in other words just use your best discretion and dont go looking for trouble cause it will find you it always seems to find me.....

#184353 - 10/06/05 07:46 AM Re: HOW DO YOU TEST YOUR SYSTEM [Re: Mannie]
RazorFoot Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Seated at the computer, DUH
Quote:

Hi MattJ,
Do you have any other different scenarious that you know off and dont mind sharing so i can try out.

Thanks,
Mannie de Matos
Hakarac Boxing

Have you tried the situation where a frightened/hysterical wife/girlfriend is grabbing onto to your arms while you are trying to protect both of you? I have seen it happen more than once.

Scottie

#184354 - 10/20/05 06:20 AM Re: HOW DO YOU TEST YOUR SYSTEM [Re: RazorFoot]
NottaMaster Offline
Stranger

One thing I have enjoyed regarding testing our system is just hearing about what has happened to people out in the streets or even in practice. Wouldn't you say that it is nearly impossible to do "true reality" tests since many of our techniques can be very brutal, causing permanent damage or death. Even the UFC has 31 fouls that aren't allowed, so how can you test something that you can never really use outside a life-and-death situation?

Any interesting stories that either affirmed or disproved techniques in practice? One other thing I would be curious to hear is if anybody had legal troubles (or close calls) due to somebody suggesting excessive force when it was self-defence. (Perhaps both those are for another thread...sorry.) :-)

#184355 - 11/02/05 12:12 AM Kung Fu is a way of life...isn't life the test? [Re: Mannie]
AF_Sting Offline

Loc: Seoul, Republic of Korea
We practice light sparring, do speed/strength drills, conditioning exercises and work on awareness. Sometimes we go with heavier contact, but not many of us can afford to be injured (the whole military readiness thing). IMHO, if anyone is doing full tilt contact all the time, they are either talented to an extreme or very sore. My idea of training is building my body and keeping it as conditioned and whole as possible. The rarity of actual combat, coupled with the even greater odds of fighting hand-to-hand with a skilled opponent make hardcore training less of a priority for me. Please understand that I don’t fault anyone for wanting to push their limits or test their skill, I’m just not there anymore. I have enough humility to know I’m not the best in the world and enough experience to know that I can handle most situations. Do I really need to thrown a stone in my shoe to adapt to it if that situation occurs? Do I really need to break my leg to know what types of limitations I’ll have? I adapt regardless of my environment, which is one of the beauties of kung fu (at least the system I study). If you train your body and mind, the venue does not matter.

-Sting

#184356 - 12/22/05 01:21 PM Re: HOW DO YOU TEST YOUR SYSTEM [Re: Mannie]
kronin Offline

Loc: Costa Rica
Quote:

Hi everyone,

How do you test if your system is effective as a self defense art.
And i dont mean against your own system of techniques.
And i also dont mean in a controlled or passive way.
How do you test it and know do you know it works.

Mannie de Matos
Hakarac Boxing

There is something they discuss in Black Belt magazine all the time that they call Adrenal Training or something like that, where the instructor wears thick pads all over his body and attacks you. You learn to defend yourself at full contact. Thatīs the only way that I think you can really test the effectiveness of your art. Another way that my instructor experienced while in the Philipines was to go to a bad neighborhood bar with the instructor and get in a fight. In the Philipines they had martial law, so you werenīt likely to get shot. Donīt try that in other places or you might, or end up in jail. That is a very dangerous way that I wouldnīt suggest though.

#184357 - 12/22/05 01:25 PM Re: HOW DO YOU TEST YOUR SYSTEM [Re: kronin]
kronin Offline

Loc: Costa Rica
When I used to practice a more combat oriented form we would practice doing drills over and over and over again so that everything became automatic. We did very little sparring. Now I do some of the internal work that approximates the adreneline rush that you would get when being attacked. Zhang Zang (Standing like a tree postures)is very good for that. It looks like you arenīt doing anything from the outside, but it is one of the most difficult forms of Chi Kung that exists.

#184358 - 07/02/07 08:41 PM Re: HOW DO YOU TEST YOUR SYSTEM [Re: Mannie]
musicalmike235 Offline

Hmm, whats that concept I have heard so much about? Oh yeah, its called Mixed Martial Arts Tournaments.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Cord, Gavin, JasonM, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga