FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 45 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Shanktotheright, royal, bobgalle100011, agenonline, TooNice
22862 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
THEFOREVERMAN 3
Dobbersky 2
MattJ 2
royal 2
Jeff_G 1
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
New Topics
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by Marcus Charles
03/24/14 04:39 PM
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Dobbersky
03/20/14 05:45 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
AKK kata question
by
09/04/05 01:27 PM
Recent Posts
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:22 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:20 AM
AKK kata question
by MattJ
04/04/14 05:45 PM
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Forum Stats
22862 Members
36 Forums
35546 Topics
432378 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#184015 - 09/06/05 09:50 AM Re: Hypothetical: Cage fight [Re: Kintama]
MAGr Offline
Veteran

Loc: London, home: Athens
I have given the question great thought (yeah right) and have concluded that the last mammal to drink would be the vampire bat.

The argument:
No food or plants. That rules out survival of the herbivores, if not for the reason that they are food for the carnivores. Soon all that would be left eventually would be the carnivores, and the vegetarians who realised they were being daft.
The remaining carnivores would eat each other and all that would remain would be a bat and a large carnivore (say a lion)
Now you will ask why a bat would survive? well a bat can fly and is also the only carnivorous (I realise other birds eat worms and mice but that doesnt count) bird that I know of. It also feeds on fresh blood from sleeping prey.
It lands on you whilst you are sleeping and releases a anaesthetic from some glands. It then makes a hole about a inch deep and laps up your blood much like a cat would 'drink'. The anaesthetic solution that is excreted also prevents blood clotting and so deprived of medical attention the victim would bleed to death in its sleep.

So I do believe that the last animal to drink would be a bat (granted blood instead of water, but that is all within the parameters of the question).

Post script:
Man would be one of the first to be pushing up the daisies!

#184016 - 09/06/05 09:51 AM Re: Hypothetical: Cage fight [Re: Kintama]
harlan Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Amherst, MA
Well, in that case...my money is on the hypercarnivore. Any of the big cats. Scratch that. The nastiest animal I ever came across was a 2 ft. Martin. It ate our cats, chickens and terrorized our dog. It was a pleasure putting it down...and we had the benefit of a gun at the time.

#184017 - 09/06/05 10:07 AM Re: Hypothetical: Cage fight [Re: Kintama]
BigRod Offline
Does it all

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Come on, everybody knows the cockroach is going to outlive everything else.

#184018 - 09/06/05 10:46 AM Re: Hypothetical: Cage fight [Re: BigRod]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Loc: Cambridge UK.
Cockroach is not a mammal. Actualy, thinking about it MAGr's answer is genius. Because of being nocturnal it would feed at much safer time, also it would roost out of reach of any predators. Its nutritional needs are met simply with blood. The only thing is that whatever carnivor was left alive as its last remaining source of blood may outlive it through scavenging and having a longer natural lifespan, but the Bat would have a great chance on a purely 'designed for survival' basis.

#184019 - 09/06/05 11:11 AM Re: Hypothetical: Cage fight [Re: MAGr]
Benjamin Offline

Loc: S'pore
I like the vampire bat hypothesis, but one problem exists though. The cage does not seem to harbor any caves or dark chambers for the vampire bat to hide in the day. Pretty dangerous for the vampire bat during daytime if so.

The vampire bat is blind...not that it is really blind, but devolved vision due to the lack of use of it at night. Echolocation is used instead. When used in the daytime, it presents 2 problems. Echolocation is much inferior to vision in light. Echolocation is also meant for the night since it is much quieter. As a result, our bat may lose its sense of direction during the day. Also, without any things to hang on, that bat will have to land on the land which puts it on the same level as mices. Since there are no natural hideouts such as grasses and caves, I assume that the animals will be kept awaken even at night. I don't think anything would become an easy victim for the bat though.

#184020 - 09/06/05 11:19 AM Re: Hypothetical: Cage fight [Re: harlan]
Benjamin Offline

If cage is empty, scavengers can't survive because guerillas tactics don't work now. I place my money on the carnivores then. Probably the tiger.

#184021 - 09/06/05 11:21 AM Re: Hypothetical: Cage fight [Re: Benjamin]
MAGr Offline
Veteran

Quote:

The cage does not seem to harbor any caves or dark chambers for the vampire bat to hide in the day. Pretty dangerous for the vampire bat during daytime if so.

The vampire bat is blind...not that it is really blind, but devolved vision due to the lack of use of it at night. Echolocation is used instead. When used in the daytime, it presents 2 problems. Echolocation is much inferior to vision in light. Echolocation is also meant for the night since it is much quieter. As a result, our bat may lose its sense of direction during the day. Also, without any things to hang on, that bat will have to land on the land which puts it on the same level as mices. Since there are no natural hideouts such as grasses and caves, I assume that the animals will be kept awaken even at night. I don't think anything would become an easy victim for the bat though.

Since it is a cage, it has a caged roof which provides ample footing for the bat to hang upside down (as they do).
It is true that they emmit frequencies to gauge distances but I am pretty sure that they can adapt to navigating in the day time.

Quote:

I assume that the animals will be kept awaken even at night. I don't think anything would become an easy victim for the bat though

I beg to differ. When a vampire bat lands on you it feels like nothing more than a breeze running through your arm hair, and with more than 1000 different animals, I doubt that the victim would be muh aroused from a breeze.

#184022 - 09/06/05 11:21 AM Re: Hypothetical: Cage fight [Re: Cord]
harlan Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Amherst, MA
Niche partitioning.

Quote:

Because of being nocturnal it would feed at much safer time, also it would roost out of reach of any predators. Its nutritional needs are met simply with blood.

#184023 - 09/06/05 11:26 AM Re: Hypothetical: Cage fight [Re: MAGr]
Benjamin Offline

I understand the point about the caged roof. What kind of roof? Flat roof? How do you hang on a flat roof?

The problem is during the day. During the day, there are other mammals emitting sound waves too. Whether it is low as in elephant or high as in whales. The reason echolocation works is that during the night there are less sound waves.

True, it lands like a breeze. How does it feel to be like bitten? Ok, maybe it is painless. If not, vampire bats will never get to feed. LOL...stupid me.

If the bat can survive the day, I will put my money on him.

Edited by Benjamin (09/06/05 11:31 AM)

#184024 - 09/06/05 11:30 AM Re: Hypothetical: Cage fight [Re: Benjamin]
MAGr Offline
Veteran

Quote:

I understand the point about the caged roof. What kind of roof? Flat roof? How do you hang on a flat roof?

Its a cage, dont knit pick!

Quote:

The problem is during the day. During the day, there are other mammals emitting sound waves too. Whether it is low as in elephant or high as in whales. The reason echolocation works is that during the night there are less sound waves.

Fair enough, furry muff.
the assumption is that it will keep its sleeping patterns and sleep durin g the day even if there is sun.

Quote:

True, it lands like a breeze. How does it feel to be like bitten? LOL

local anaesthetic remember? The only thing that you might feel is when the running blood reaches a part of your body that has no anaesthetic on it.

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, MattJ, RazorFoot, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga