FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 44 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
LeroyCFischer, JadeKing, Beefcake, WesJones, simonajones111
22933 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
futsaowingchun 2
charlie 2
Matakiant 1
ergees 1
William_Bent 1
November
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
New Topics
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Siu Lin Tao-3rd section applications
by futsaowingchun
11/13/14 06:48 PM
Screen fighting course UK December 2014
by charlie
11/11/14 04:09 PM
Siu Lin Tao-1st section Pak Sao explanations
by futsaowingchun
11/09/14 10:30 PM
I spy kata bunkai..
by GojuRyuboy13
10/29/14 08:28 AM
Judo 2014 World Championships Juniors: The Gallery
by ergees
10/25/14 04:53 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
MA style video library
by
03/22/06 03:18 PM
Recent Posts
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Siu Lin Tao-3rd section applications
by futsaowingchun
11/13/14 06:48 PM
Screen fighting course UK December 2014
by charlie
11/11/14 04:09 PM
MA style video library
by charlie
11/11/14 04:05 PM
Siu Lin Tao-1st section Pak Sao explanations
by futsaowingchun
11/09/14 10:30 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/29/14 10:01 PM
I spy kata bunkai..
by GojuRyuboy13
10/29/14 08:28 AM
Judo 2014 World Championships Juniors: The Gallery
by ergees
10/25/14 04:53 PM
Forum Stats
22933 Members
36 Forums
35589 Topics
432521 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#183878 - 09/08/05 05:46 AM Re: Judo V.S Ju Jitsu. What should I take? [Re: Bakerman]
BigRod Offline
Does it all

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Leo did a good job of pointing out the differences between the two.

But there are very wrong statements that need to be corrected for the benefit of those who simply don't know:

Quote:

Judo is japanese, jujitsu is brazillian

Judo and JuJitsu are Japanese.

As for the name "Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu" It's a generic term for Jiu-Jitsu practiced in Brazil. It came about as a way of competing with the term "Gracie Jiu-Jitsu". At least thats the story I heard.

Quote:

ive heard this is because helio gracie was is such a little guy that he had trouble making the standup holds work

Helio focused on groundwork because the Gracie family was taught Kosen Judo (which is focused on groundwork) from Maeda. Supposedly Helio improved the Jiu-Jitsu he learned because of his smaller stature.

Quote:

judo is more like karate and other standing fighting!

Judo and Karate are nothing alike. Judo, as typically taught in the US, is focused on throws, with very little in the way punching and kicking. Karate is just the opposite.

#183879 - 09/08/05 06:22 AM Re: Judo V.S Ju Jitsu. What should I take? [Re: BigRod]
trevek Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Poland
Having dabbled a bit in judo, jujitsu, and backhold wrestling, as well as doing a fair bit of TKD, I'd suggest that whether to take up Judo or JJ could be influenced by whether you've done any other styles before. If you've tried striking arts then jujitsu would allow you to keep and use some of these whilst also learning serious grappling. JJ also has the bonus that some styles include weapon training (if that appeals to you). That being said, judo is great too.

Supporting everyone saying "nuts to cancer"

#183880 - 09/08/05 01:11 PM Re: Judo V.S Ju Jitsu. What should I take? [Re: Bakerman]
IronBones Offline

Loc: Ashland Illinois
I'd take jiu-jitsu. Dooesn't matter if it's Brazillian or japanese. Personally I've done Brazillian j for 2 years amd I've never had more fun.

#183881 - 09/08/05 01:55 PM Re: Judo V.S Ju Jitsu. What should I take? [Re: Leo_E_49]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Loc: Great White North
Leo, I should have explained this better. Jujitsu is what it is, I didn't mean to imply that Jujitsu changed, sorry. What I should have said is Dr. Jigoro Kano after taking out many of the dangerous techniques formed "Judo" and I believe he is its founder.

#183882 - 09/08/05 05:15 PM Re: Judo V.S Ju Jitsu. What should I take? [Re: Bakerman]
Tant01 Offline

Quote:

basically both use the same princables of fighting including throws, locks, and cholks. Judo is japanese, jujitsu is brazillian both i think are used as sports but i just dont know which one i should take???....

drop me a line someone...

When you study Judo you will in fact be learning techniques from older schools of Ju-Jutsu. It is common knowledge that many of the best Ju-Jutsu masters were consulted by Kano in the developement of the Kodokan techniques.

#183883 - 09/09/05 11:07 AM Re: Judo V.S Ju Jitsu. What should I take? [Re: Tant01]
paradoxbox Offline
Enthusiast

Quote:

When you study Judo you will in fact be learning techniques from older schools of Ju-Jutsu. It is common knowledge that many of the best Ju-Jutsu masters were consulted by Kano in the developement of the Kodokan techniques.

Nooooooo....

That's not accurate, Judo is NOT jujutsu. It was based off of jujutsu however it is far safer to practice than classical jujutsu is. Almost all joint manipulation techniques are dissallowed, there's a heavy atmosphere of competition and the footwork is generally very different. In addition almost every judoka I know has a special 'favorite throw', which is normally shunned in the jujutsu world.

Other thing I noticed, jiu-jitsu is NOT Japanese, that's something American and Brazillian. Jujutsu is Japanese. The spelling matters as they are 2 entirely different words and actually define styles of jujutsu from eachother these days.

If you like the competitive atmosphere, judo may be right for you. I have done some judo and found it to be quite fun. It is also a decent means of self defense for unarmed situations, and if you do a lot of randori (sparring) you will feel a lot more confident in your personal safety.

However it has no standing arm locks, leg locks are not allowed, no nasty attacks etc.. Plus there are very many judoka out there so if you happen to get into a fight with one you'd better hope he's not better than you, or he'll counter your technique right away.

Traditional jujutsu is better from a pure self defense standpoint, it includes almost all of the actual techniques found in judo (plus the nasty stuff judo removed for safety) but lacks the randori and competition.

Hope this helps.

#183884 - 09/09/05 02:24 PM Re: Judo V.S Ju Jitsu. What should I take? [Re: Bakerman]
Judomom Offline

Everyone here is right...your choice. Ju jitsu students do compete with judo students at judo tournaments. But not usually the other way around. Jujitsu students initially have a broader knowledge of chokes and locks. Judo students don't have a knowledge of locks beyond arm locks and they tend to get creamed by leg and wrist locks. Jujitsu students study judo to learn better control in their matwork and throws...Jujitsu really doesn't study pinning and throws the way judo does. To be a well rounded judo player you need to be equally effective in standing and matwork, not so for jujitsu students.

Judo came from JJ. BJJ came from judo. So, really, what came first? One of Kano's students went to Brazil, married and stayed; but, didn't have the rank to formally teach judo. So, he called what he taught jujitsu. Kano studied and mastered multiple schools of jujitsu, but didn't like the fact that students got injured all the time. So he simplified and streamlined techniques and eliminated the dangerous and ineffective ones and called it judo. (check out the most recent biography on Kano).

#183885 - 09/10/05 08:18 AM Re: Judo V.S Ju Jitsu. What should I take? [Re: Judomom]
trevek Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Poland
wasn't it also called 'Kano Jujitsu' in the early days?

Supporting everyone saying "nuts to cancer"

#183886 - 09/15/05 11:04 AM Re: Judo V.S Ju Jitsu. What should I take? [Re: Bakerman]
Caino Offline

Loc: NSW, Australia
I've been studing Japanese Jiu jitsu for about four and a half years now, My question to you is how confused do you want to get? The more I learn, The more I realise how little I know.
Judo was developed as a safer way to practise traditional jiu jitsu and therefore judo's techniques are generally modifications of jiu jitsu techniques. They both follow the same principals, eg breaking opponents balance, yeilding to force etc.
A good traditional jiu jitsu dojo may be harder to find than a judo dojo, but you may be lucky and find them both rolled into one.
I'd say look for whats available and go try them, see what you like, The best martial art is the one you enjoy because you'll stick with it.

#183887 - 09/15/05 11:11 AM Re: Judo V.S Ju Jitsu. What should I take? [Re: paradoxbox]
Caino Offline

Loc: NSW, Australia
Other thing I noticed, jiu-jitsu is NOT Japanese, that's something American and Brazillian. Jujutsu is Japanese. The spelling matters as they are 2 entirely different words and actually define styles of jujutsu from eachother these days.

From what I've been able to find out The "i" in Jiu-jitsu represents a chinese influence in the art. Not entirely sure if thats correct but I thought I'd chuck it out there and see what happens.

I'm also new to this forum thing and don't know how to get this writing out of the quote box

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, Fletch1, MattJ, Reiki, Taison 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga