FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 49 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
old1, Leonar, ManLar, Vimido, raya
22925 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
futsaowingchun 4
Ronin1966 3
AndyLA 1
GojuRyuboy13 1
Matakiant 1
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
Today at 10:32 AM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Martial News
by Matakiant
09/23/14 06:42 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by Leo_E_49
01/24/12 02:58 AM
Recent Posts
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
Today at 10:32 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by swordy
10/11/14 09:21 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by cxt
10/10/14 10:08 AM
The Karate punch
by Ronin1966
10/09/14 03:16 PM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ronin1966
10/08/14 09:22 PM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by AndyLA
10/04/14 10:20 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Forum Stats
22925 Members
36 Forums
35582 Topics
432509 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#183659 - 09/07/05 04:58 PM Re: Taekwondo Postures [Re: oldman]
oldman Offline
Professional Poster

nevermind.

#183660 - 09/07/05 05:01 PM Re: Taekwondo Postures [Re: oldman]
Kintama Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Massachusetts
interesting oldman, had I saw those pics near the beginning of the thread, I wouldn't have wasted everyone (except butterfly's) time by dragging TMA into a TKD question.
All the TKD forms described so far is regurgitated and hacked up Okinawan basic kata. Want to learn the applications? see a qualified TMA instructor in your area, good luck.

#183661 - 09/07/05 05:11 PM Re: Taekwondo Postures [Re: Kintama]
oldman Offline
Professional Poster

One of the pleasures and problems of my style is that we are firmly ensconced between Shotokan and Modern TKD. I can't honestly say I practice shotokan but I have a very difficult time allowing myself to say I practice TKD. It is probably most accurate to say I practice Korean Karate. I have spent the last month working with Oyatas group and am trying to get my head around their approach.

#183662 - 09/07/05 06:26 PM Re: Taekwondo Postures [Re: oldman]
Kintama Offline
Professional Poster

sorry for that outburst...thought we were talking postures, when actually the ramifications of doing that is going into the application. to try and guess what an application is of something added to a form from Korea via Japan via Okinawa all of a sudden seemed pointless to me. you have to ask yourselves studying Pinan derived forms, what were the intentions of the changes? to simply make it look different so TKD could call it it's own? if so, what practical value does the TKD version have that is not found in it's derived Okinawan version?
It is starting to look like Bruce is simply asking what the applications are of the added differences between versions of each Pinan. I looked up some of the form curriculum and sure enough TKD has modified versions of all Pinans and all three Naihanchi and who knows what else, each with added 'postures' in-between movements that I semi-recognized... once I realized this I concluded that I can't be of help...sorry. TKD based on Shotokan, Shotokan based on Shorin-Ryu...I kindof see that now.

#183663 - 09/07/05 09:35 PM Re: Taekwondo Postures [Re: oldman]
Mark Hill Offline
Veteran

Loc: Australia
Am I right to say that is related to "Heian Godan", "Pinan Godan"?

#183664 - 09/07/05 09:57 PM Re: Taekwondo Postures [Re: Mark Hill]
glad2bhere Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Lindenhurst, Illinois USA
Whoops---- I think we may have slipped sideways.

Originally my question had to do with resources that might speak to the nature of the postures I was interested in knowing that the Japanese and Okinawan kata may have actually not had the postures at all. had the Japanese and Okinawan traditions had these postures and used them in the sequences as seen in TKD I would have gladly fallen back on Bishop or McCarthy for insights. As this was not the case I am stuck to find equivalent quality resources from a Korean point of view. At best they simply identify the moves in the form and make guess-timates on the most obvious analysis. I can do THAT much for myself, yes?

As far as the Diamond Posture, the sword practitioner in me tends to see the withdrawl of the foot as an evasion which regularly transforms into a sidekick. In sword we see raising the foot as either an evasion or a sometime charging motion where the raised foot is stamped forward in an attempt to add power to a weapon technique. Does any of this ring any bells?

BTW: Its also good to remember that I have no special investment in the Pinan sequence of forms. Its was simply the most basic form across all three cultures that held a few of the postures I was interested in. FWIW.

BTW#2: I am editing my post to say that the "evolution" of the forms that KITAMA points out is also one of the arguments I use against mixing and matching arts. The kata, for instance, that we are discussing as represented by the Okinawan arts took one approach to S-D while the modifications that Funakoshi and his son made to the arts was for a singularly non-S-D reason. Move the kata to TKD and sprinkle liberally with kicks and I think we run the risk of totally screwing-up the original intent of the forms. Thoughts?

Best Wishes,

Bruce

Edited by glad2bhere (09/07/05 10:08 PM)

#183665 - 09/08/05 02:02 AM Re: Taekwondo Postures [Re: glad2bhere]
Mark Hill Offline
Veteran

Loc: Australia
Just how comparable are the TKD/TSD forms to karate?

I have seen that main style of TKD has very similar forms, and another main style does not.

I've always assuemd that TSD has forms ala Shorin Ryu.

More kicking? More chance to trip and lock people out, that's my initial reaction!

The "mountain" posture looks like a sweep/throw to me, like the "crane" stance.

Be glad to know of the use of the kata "Jitte" - mostly ugly and it seems very basic comapred to other forms. Maybe it's all in the turns?

#183666 - 09/08/05 06:18 AM Re: Taekwondo Postures [Re: Kintama]
Gavin Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Southend, Essex, UK
Aaahh, cheers Kin I was looking at the entire squence which starts on the forth row.

Without knowing the whole sequence it is pratically impossible to figure out what the application of a specific posture is, bit like trying to figure out what the original sentence was when you've only got one word of it. However like language kata/forms do have some universal "grammer" to help us figure out the context.

For example in this posture the practioner has dropped into a horse stance, which could indicate that they are disrupting an opponants balance. The fact the feet on turned outwards pretty much rules out it being an attack from the front for two reasons;

- firstly, you are exposing all of the points of the inner leg and other vital points.
-secondly, turning the feet outwards makes your posture alot weaker from force from the front.

So I'd assume that it is defending against rear or at the very least from the side or the result of a transfer of weight.

In terms of the hands, I doubt that they are a throw, maybe the start of a throw, but definately not the end of it. I've seen applications where the movement was done using both hands at the same time merely to indicate that the strike can be done off of either side. Due to the fact that the hands are high and the stance is low, I doubt whether this is a throw.

Sorry its not very concise, but thats my $0.2 worth. HTH

Gav

#183667 - 09/08/05 09:39 AM Re: Taekwondo Postures [Re: glad2bhere]
Kintama Offline
Professional Poster

from what Oldman drew (hands down and crossed in front) and what Gavin is hinting at...take a look at defenses against a bear-hug from behind (acting quickly and prior to the aggressor lifting you up).

worth a try...

#183668 - 09/08/05 02:58 PM Re: Taekwondo Postures [Re: Kintama]
butterfly Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Torrance, CA
Kin,

For the Diamond Pose....I dug up a coppy of the form...If this is the one Bruce was talking about.
http://www.jenningscc.com/TaeKwonDo/Movies/MOV/wtf_10_keumgang.mov

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga