FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 28 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
old1, Leonar, ManLar, Vimido, raya
22925 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
futsaowingchun 3
Ronin1966 3
Victor Smith 1
GojuRyuboy13 1
cxt 1
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by Leo_E_49
01/24/12 02:58 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by
05/13/07 08:02 AM
Recent Posts
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
10/22/14 07:20 AM
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by swordy
10/11/14 09:21 AM
The Karate punch
by Ronin1966
10/09/14 03:16 PM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ronin1966
10/08/14 09:22 PM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by AndyLA
10/04/14 10:20 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Forum Stats
22925 Members
36 Forums
35582 Topics
432510 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#182858 - 09/01/05 07:05 AM Bo Staff - home learning
Dr Zoidberg Offline

Loc: Oxford, UK
Hi, I have been studying the Nunchaku through a home-learning course on DVD, where you can earn rank by filming yourself performing the sylabus for each grade. I'm enjoying it a lot and progressing well (watch out Bruce!) Does anyone know of a similar home-learning course for Bo Staff? I've touched on it a little in my martial arts class but we don't do weapons training regularly

#182859 - 09/01/05 10:11 PM Re: Bo Staff - home learning [Re: Dr Zoidberg]
Meanstreak Offline

Loc: Australia
Dr Z

The general consensus is that you cant learn at home - even off a DVD. You dont have feedback about how you are doing, and therefore will have no idea if you are doing it right or wrong. Also by yourself you cant get an idea of the actual use of a weapon in a combative situation.

All you are doing is learning how to twirl (sorry mate) look through the old posts and you'll see the same thing.

As for earning rank by correspondence - ive never thought of this to be productive, theres the points i made on feedback earlier, and there is also the point that whatever "qualification" you may earn is likely to be worth nothing. Correspondence martial arts is generally a scam.

#182860 - 09/02/05 03:04 PM Re: Bo Staff - home learning [Re: Meanstreak]
paradoxbox Offline
Enthusiast

I'm not going to tell you that you can't learn anything from videos, because that would be a lie.

But you should only practice what you see from video if you can occasionally get your technique checked out by an instructor proficient in the art.

Try www.budovideos.com

Don't get a video for an art different than the one you are studying, otherwise you'll never improve (Unless you plan on switching the art you practice).

Remember the flashier it looks the more useless it is. Keep that in mind.

One last thing, please do NOT call it a bo staff. Call it a BO, or a STAFF, but not bo staff. It's incorrect. Thank you.

#182861 - 09/02/05 05:30 PM Re: Bo Staff - home learning [Re: Dr Zoidberg]
Reiki Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: MiddleEarth
You definitely want to learn weapons techniques with a good instructor watching you.

It is so easy to make small and significant errors which turn into BIG major errors and are very hard to correct.

Don't try this at home folks, it just doesn't work as well as the real thing...

Nothing can replace having proper instruction. I've watched some of my students over the past few years go off on their own and create some interesting "chinese whispers" instead of the correct techniques, these have been very hard to unlearn once they've learnt them incorrectly!

And yes the more flashy it is, usually the less use it is, and please do call it a bo or a staff, not a bo staff.

#182862 - 10/01/05 10:19 AM Re: Bo Staff - home learning [Re: Reiki]
DragonTiger Offline

Loc: New York
If I mimic the technique on the DVD exactly, then I think I can learn the basic blocks and strikes. Especially if it's a good DVD that points out key components like keeping wrists bent this way, etc. If that's all that I wanted to learn, then mission accomplished. However, I do think that you would need to have had good martial arts training at some point in your life for at least a few years. True, self training is not alive, but neither is kata. I am a proponent of Kata. It's not the same as sparring but it is instructive. However, Kata training isn't really alive. If you've trained in Martial Arts for many years and you've done tons of drills on blocking, etc. Then you've developed your hand eye coordination and response skills. You're never going to encounter every possible kick or punch or situation in your training. Does that mean that your training is meaningless or you won't be able to block a hook if all you're ever done is block crosses. No it doesn't. I'd love to train with a master in person and learn to master a weapon. However, I just don't have the time/resources for that. At this point, I'm content with learning the basics from a DVD.

#182863 - 10/01/05 12:31 PM Re: Bo Staff - home learning [Re: DragonTiger]
paradoxbox Offline
Enthusiast

The problem is you're most likely to miss the really important stuff such as energy transfer, proper rotation of this hips, synchronization of the feet with hand / spine movement, etc.. If you can get to an instructor every once in a while it's a good idea but if you have no basis in the system whatsoever it's best just to do something else until you can meet with an instructor and spend some quality time with them. Especially with the bou where bad habits are really hard to fix after a while, as the training tends to be extremely repetitive, this stuff sticks in your memory and if you did it wrong the first 1000 times it's gonna take forever to do it correctly the next 1000 times.

#182864 - 10/01/05 03:44 PM Re: Bo Staff - home learning [Re: Reiki]
Reiki Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: MiddleEarth
Quote:

You definitely want to learn weapons techniques with a good instructor watching you.

It is so easy to make small and significant errors which turn into BIG major errors and are very hard to correct.

Don't try this at home folks, it just doesn't work as well as the real thing...

Nothing can replace having proper instruction. I've watched some of my students over the past few years go off on their own and create some interesting "chinese whispers" instead of the correct techniques, these have been very hard to unlearn once they've learnt them incorrectly!

And yes the more flashy it is, usually the less use it is, and please do call it a bo or a staff, not a bo staff.

AND

The problem is you're most likely to miss the really important stuff such as energy transfer, proper rotation of this hips, synchronization of the feet with hand / spine movement, etc.. If you can get to an instructor every once in a while it's a good idea but if you have no basis in the system whatsoever it's best just to do something else until you can meet with an instructor and spend some quality time with them. Especially with the bou where bad habits are really hard to fix after a while, as the training tends to be extremely repetitive, this stuff sticks in your memory and if you did it wrong the first 1000 times it's gonna take forever to do it correctly the next 1000 times.

Learning from a DVD or video is fine if you want to learn the general pattern of a kata, however to correctly learn the technique you need to work with an instructor who can watch and guide you every step of the way while you are learning the techniques and how to apply them.

It is incredibly hard to *unlearn* incorrect technique once you've "mastered" it.

I don't care how well you think you've learnt it from a DVD, it still isn't giving you the correct feedback that the instructor will.

Personally I prefer to learn it *correctly* once and not have to unlearn stuff that is wrong.

#182865 - 10/02/05 08:58 PM Re: Bo Staff - home learning [Re: DragonTiger]
Chatan1979 Offline

Loc: Mahomet , Illinois
Actually kata can be very much "alive " as you put it. But thats not something that you would learn from a DVD. You need an instructor to take you through the diferent levels of kata otherwise you are doing nothing but imitating which ,yes, if all you want is to learn how to do is imitate a kata from a video is fine. But when it comes to strategies, tactics, applacations, and all the other stuff that is contained in a kata , you will not learn any of that from a DVD.

#182866 - 10/03/05 09:14 PM Re: Bo Staff - home learning [Re: Dr Zoidberg]
gojumaster Offline

The more I think about it, the more I think maybe I should support people learning martial arts from videos...I may have to face one of those people in the street one day...

Quote:

Hi, I have been studying the Nunchaku through a home-learning course on DVD, where you can earn rank by filming yourself performing the sylabus for each grade. I'm enjoying it a lot and progressing well (watch out Bruce!) Does anyone know of a similar home-learning course for Bo Staff? I've touched on it a little in my martial arts class but we don't do weapons training regularly

#182867 - 10/07/05 11:15 PM Re: Bo Staff - home learning [Re: gojumaster]
UmYang Offline

i learned kali sticks bo and numchucks by video. but i know that video is only basically a beginners guide despite if they say youll be like bruce lee. so i had my master show me some stuff. although i am better than i thought i was i am still a beginner. but from what he showed me, videos are the best substitute for not being able to take a class. books and people who "taught them selves" have no clue what their doing.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga