FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 28 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
LeroyCFischer, JadeKing, Beefcake, WesJones, simonajones111
22933 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
charlie 2
futsaowingchun 2
harlan 1
Matakiant 1
William_Bent 1
November
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
New Topics
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Siu Lin Tao-3rd section applications
by futsaowingchun
11/13/14 06:48 PM
Screen fighting course UK December 2014
by charlie
11/11/14 04:09 PM
Siu Lin Tao-1st section Pak Sao explanations
by futsaowingchun
11/09/14 10:30 PM
I spy kata bunkai..
by GojuRyuboy13
10/29/14 08:28 AM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
MA style video library
by
03/22/06 03:18 PM
Recent Posts
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Siu Lin Tao-3rd section applications
by futsaowingchun
11/13/14 06:48 PM
Screen fighting course UK December 2014
by charlie
11/11/14 04:09 PM
MA style video library
by charlie
11/11/14 04:05 PM
Siu Lin Tao-1st section Pak Sao explanations
by futsaowingchun
11/09/14 10:30 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/29/14 10:01 PM
I spy kata bunkai..
by GojuRyuboy13
10/29/14 08:28 AM
Forum Stats
22933 Members
36 Forums
35589 Topics
432521 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#182166 - 08/31/05 09:56 AM Baguamonk [Re: Stone Carver]
tookien1 Offline

Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Hey Baguamonk, I already e-mailed the head of the Pak Mei organization in NA to find out about the locations, they should tell me this week and I will e-mail you back

tookien1

#182167 - 08/31/05 12:53 PM Re: Gong-Fu in the streets [Re: etaks86]
Jing Offline

Loc: NY
Quote:

I don't know i think things are much easier then people make them. just like the socalled secrets of gung fu, wushu, whatever you like to call it. my point is i don't believe in such secrets, i don't really think there's is any secrets at all the only secret is is that there is no secrets and i think after a lifetime of martial arts someone might just figure that out. A punch is a punch and a kick is a kick that's all there is to it.

Look i think you misunderstand "seceret". To my understanding kung fu is taught with forms. Tjhose forms most people think are techniques annd practise or whatever. But the timming and subtlties that most begginner, intermediate and advanced students never see are the secerets. Its not like its hidden, its just people literally dont see it. I always get that, why dont my techniques work..i do them just liek you...but no one ever really does. They miss the "timming and subtleties" that only highly trained people see. My sigung once said disheartend that he didnt like to perform. My father asked why, and he responded no one will see what makes the form beautiful. As for flowery...my Kung Fu system is the exact opposite. There is nothing flowery about it. Which is a problem because it is sometimes very tough on newcomers, and we often loose people over it. As for the kick is a kick and a punch is a punch...i disagree. A kcik isnt just a kick. Ive seen masters kick very well, but miss stuff like positioning of the heel or timing between lifting the knee and releasing the kick. Example, in my system, we tell people never to do a roundhouse, or hook strikes for opening moves...and yet so many systems will say (ie boxing/kickboxing) hooks and roundhouses are key. IMO its fairly ignorant to say a punch is a punch and a kick is a kick. Your missing the subtlties in things that take years of practice to understand.

#182168 - 08/31/05 02:26 PM Re: Gong-Fu in the streets [Re: Jing]
etaks86 Offline

well you can believe what you like but it doesn't make your opinion right in any way. as for me being ignorant as you put it that's just a matter of opinion which doesn't mean that your's is right. and futher more i got enough manners and respect not to call people such things but i guess your martial arts didn't teach you humbleness or manners. so you can believe what you want but it doesn't make my opinion wrong and it doesn't make yours right. so believe what you will it's your life. and also i mean no disrespect but it seems like you do. so have fun i wish you the best in life. but i do hope in the future that you can express yourself without calling people wrong or names such as ignorant.

#182169 - 08/31/05 03:12 PM Re: Gong-Fu in the streets [Re: etaks86]
Jing Offline

Loc: NY
Im not calling you an ignorant person, i guess im just saying your statement is very close minded. Im not saying i am right, just stateing a different view on the subject. I am just expressing my feelings towards the subject, i dont really care what people think of it, but at least its out there for people who do want to see something new or different. Dont think everyone will just agree with what you say in life. And how am i not being humble? I have said nothing about you personally, just my thoughts of the statement you have expressed. I may not agree with you, but at least i accept the fact that our views can be different.

#182170 - 09/01/05 07:55 AM Re: Gong-Fu in the streets [Re: Jing]
RazorFoot Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Seated at the computer, DUH
Let's play nice gentleman and remember to stay on topic. Even if you do not agree with an opinion, do not attack the person who has stated it. You may openly voice your disagreement with the statement but do not attack the speaker. Now, back to the topic at hand.

#182171 - 09/01/05 08:56 AM Re: Gong-Fu in the streets [Re: Stone Carver]
goedikey Offline

Loc: CANADA
What type of kung fu are you talking about ?

There is traditionnal, orthodox Kung Fu and then theres "Contemporary wushu".

Contemporary wushu is a performance art thats all.

Orthodox, traditionnal KF is for self defense.

If your art is from a traditional lineage, then every detail of your forms, as flowery as can be, probably has a meaning in terms of self defense.

I am ont talking about fighting in a ring but rather defeating someone in the streets.(Groins, eyes, throat strikes etc..., evasion and anti grappling)

Edited by goedikey (09/01/05 08:58 AM)

#182172 - 09/01/05 09:01 AM Re: Gong-Fu in the streets [Re: RazorFoot]
Fisherman Offline
Veteran

Loc: Colorado, USA
IMO - One of the reasons that you see big flowery movements, is that you need big movement to learn how the body works.
Taking your body to it's extreme ranges motions while trying to maintain it's balance and structure builds coordination which anybody practicing MA's knows is a vital component to becoming a good martial artist.
Only after you have learned how the body works and have coordinated your body to move in these 'flowery' ways can you start to make your movements smaller and more powerful.
Using big flowery movements in a fight can get you in trouble. They are telegraphed and easily predictable. You need to make the movement smaller so that they are more hidden, compact, and fast.
I guess that is one of the problems with how people interprit kungfu. They think that the forms are directly applicable, when in reality they are methods used for training the body and mind. Fighting and training are two VERY different things.

#182173 - 09/01/05 10:37 AM Re: Gong-Fu in the streets [Re: Fisherman]
Neko456 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Midwest City, Ok, USA
Some of the big flowery moves are two moves in one like the overhead hooking punch that blocks and strikes in that one move. Or the hand wave like move that us really a parry and palm strike or tiger claw to the eyes and noses. Knowing what these moves are and how to use them make them work.

When I was shown the knee strike arm break, it started with an attack to my head as I raise a arm to block, he follwed the arm up and brough it down to my chest and jumping knee strike this was 1989, it reminds me of the Muya-Thai jump knee strikes that you see in Vale Tudo today, back in 1989.

Knowing what you are doing with and how/when to use them is what makes you effective. Ken's a Bad Man. He also trained in traditional Ch'uan fa not a moderen eceltic system. Both are good if you know what you are doing, really.

#182174 - 09/01/05 09:39 PM Re: Gong-Fu in the streets [Re: goedikey]
Stone Carver Offline
Thinker

Loc: Dixie
Quote:

What type of kung fu are you talking about ?

I myself study Long Fist, which is what I based my theory on. And the "Flowery Moves" I refeard to for the most part are unnessisary things like performance moves from when the martial arts in China were limited to opera houses.
Also there are symbloic moves such as "Kwan Strokes His Beard" that serve no real purpose.

Stone Carver

#182175 - 09/02/05 08:28 AM Re: Gong-Fu in the streets [Re: Stone Carver]
Fisherman Offline
Veteran

Loc: Colorado, USA
I agree that this is a symbolic movement, but couldn't it be applied as bbrushing someone's hand away from you?

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Cord, Gavin, JasonM, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga