FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 23 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SenseiGregT, sagat, JFawkes, pluckysaga39, sgtdemeo
22911 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 5
AndyLA 5
Ed_Morris 4
futsaowingchun 3
ergees 3
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
New Topics
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
Yesterday at 03:51 AM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
Chi Sao demonstration
by futsaowingchun
08/14/14 10:57 PM
Decent Fight channel
by FrankyFruits
08/07/14 09:19 PM
2014 European Championships Cadets Athens: Videos
by ergees
08/07/14 10:00 AM
Life goes on....
by Dobbersky
08/07/14 05:59 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
Recent Posts
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
Yesterday at 03:51 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Zombie Zero
08/29/14 10:50 PM
mindfullness meditation
by log1call
08/28/14 02:39 AM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ed_Morris
08/26/14 09:58 PM
The Karate punch
by Ed_Morris
08/26/14 09:27 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
attacked from behind
by AndyLA
08/16/14 04:59 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by VDJ
08/15/14 05:46 PM
Forum Stats
22911 Members
36 Forums
35573 Topics
432484 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#180066 - 08/20/05 08:01 PM New to Krav Maga
bishop79 Offline
Stranger

Hello everyone! I'm new to Krav Maga , in fact I just took my intro class today and ran upon this board via Google.

I'd like to solicit an opinion on the dojo I decided to attend. It is the only one in my city ( Colorado Springs, CO ). I got the name of the dojo from www.kravmaga.com , which seems to be a reputable organization ( as much as can be expected in this world of McDojo's ). The specific school has two locations in my town, most Krav Maga classes are taught by the owner of the company. This dojo is also associated with the dojo's in norther colorado listed on both www.kravmaga.com and www.kravmagaco.com .

On to the more relevant stuff, the intro class! The class was 90 minutes long, did not have a stretching portion ( the instructor gave a little talk about this, " stretch before class, I don't want to waste your time with it during instruction time, but DO NOT for get to stretch " ) .

We went into a quick 3 minute warm up , the instructor stated this would be 5 or so minutes in normal classes, then onto the basic " passive stance " and " fighting stance ". Progressing from there to basic punching drills consisting of the basic jab/cross and combinations, emphasizing form and power ( quickness will come with practice ) .

From the punching drills we went into palm strikes and eye strikes, then onto basic kicking drills consisting of a front groin kick and a mid level front kick. From there we went into choke defense, front side and back, incorporating all of the offensive drills from earlier. ( i.e. front choke break, groin kick, step in punch like hell combo and almost every thinkable variation thereof ). Improvisation was also heavily emphasized.

We then hit the bags with our partners ( same ones we used for the above drills ) , and ended with wrist grab defense.

Overall , I'm impressed with this dojo, it is not exclusively Krav Maga but I don't see many of those anyway.

I know that was a bit rambling, but if anyway cares to wade through it and give an opinion I'd greatly appreciate it.

The prices are $80/month unlimited classes, fight classes(?) and free private instruction. There seems to be 2 Krav Maga classes every day , one for Level 1 & 2, and one for 3,4 and up.

Thanks all!

#180067 - 08/20/05 09:29 PM Re: New to Krav Maga [Re: bishop79]
CHOPPA23 Offline

Loc: Buffalo,NY
Yes i am also new to KM. I am attending a dojo similar to the one you are describing, i also got the name of the place from www.kravmaga.com. I just finished the intro which was almost the same format. We also recieved our wraps and white belt. I will be starting classes next week and am very excited. I'll let you guys know how i am progressing.

#180068 - 08/21/05 08:07 AM Re: New to Krav Maga [Re: bishop79]
RangerG Offline
Former Moderator

Loc: Chester County, Pennsylvania
Sounds like what we do. Did you have to sign a contract?

#180069 - 08/21/05 08:12 AM Re: New to Krav Maga [Re: CHOPPA23]
RangerG Offline
Former Moderator

I honestly hope you enjoy Krav. It does get a little bit of bashing from the other forms...but I can live with that. As a number of professionals have noted.. "There is what looks cool in the dojo...and then there is what works on the street" A good standup, and a good ground game are critical...most street/bar fights end up on the ground...

Let the nay sayers crack all they want... I am all about self defense...

#180070 - 08/21/05 11:19 AM Re: New to Krav Maga [Re: RangerG]
bishop79 Offline
Stranger

No contract at all, would have ran for the hills if there was one.

As for the bashing Karv gets in forums, I couldn't care any less. I came up a bit rough, and if I had a dollar for every " I'm a black belt in < insert sport MA here > billie badass " who's butt I saw whooped in a street fight I'd have enough money to put a down payment on a house :P Dont get me wrong, I studied Kempo and Aikdo for 5 years, but I always had the attitude even then that this is great and all, but in a street fight I'll do what it takes. Best advice my old man ever gave me ( ex army ) , " Son, there is no such thing as a fair fight or a dirty move " . I guess those attitudes and experances are what drew me to Krav Maga.

I'm planning on 3-4 times a week, plus the fight class and probably at least one private session every two weeks. Any advice besides " practice practice practice " that you vets can give me?

Thanks again!

#180071 - 08/21/05 11:51 AM Re: New to Krav Maga [Re: RangerG]
CHOPPA23 Offline

Loc: Buffalo,NY
Ya i dont mind the bashing at all. I think much of the bashing is due to the fact that it is a relatively new MA and nobody trusts it because of that. It has been self defense tested from people that i know and thats all that matters to me. And ranger are you also taking KM, Or are you a sensei in another MA?

#180072 - 08/21/05 01:26 PM Re: New to Krav Maga [Re: CHOPPA23]
RangerG Offline
Former Moderator

I train in KM. I also trained in TKD, Judo and Karate when I was in the Army. I heard about KM when I was in Law Enforcement, and finaly looked into it a while back.

#180073 - 08/22/05 01:09 PM Re: New to Krav Maga [Re: bishop79]
csinca Offline
former moderator

Loc: Southern California
Quote:

No contract at all, would have ran for the hills if there was one.

Contracts get a bad rap becuase they are used by some "less than good" instructors and dojos. But keep in mind that not all cotnracts are bad. After all, you probably expect your new instructor to show up for or provide instruction for every class. You probably expect him to provide the space and maybe some electricity and water. And you probably expect him (or her) to do so on an ongoing, long-term basis. All of that costs money.

The world or martial arts has very high student turnover and without a reliable student base all of the above can be a challenge to provide. If you take your training seriously and plan to train long term, then a 6 month or one year contract should not concern you.

Of course you do have to be careful about the school and the instructor and whether you are committed to training. Contracts really do suck when you get a few weeks in and find out that for whatever reason you aren't happy where you are.

Chris

Edited by csinca (08/22/05 01:10 PM)

#180074 - 08/22/05 04:39 PM Re: New to Krav Maga [Re: csinca]
RangerG Offline
Former Moderator

Point taken...

#180075 - 08/23/05 11:30 AM Re: New to Krav Maga [Re: bishop79]
csinca Offline
former moderator

Loc: Southern California
Bishop, please keep us posted on your training. I get back to the Springs once a year to visit and I'm always looking to try new places to train. Any recommendations you have would be great.

Chris

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Cord, Dedicated1, JasonM, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga