FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 43 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
old1, Leonar, ManLar, Vimido, raya
22925 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
futsaowingchun 4
Ronin1966 3
AndyLA 1
GojuRyuboy13 1
Matakiant 1
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
Today at 10:32 AM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Martial News
by Matakiant
09/23/14 06:42 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by Leo_E_49
01/24/12 02:58 AM
Recent Posts
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
Today at 10:32 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by swordy
10/11/14 09:21 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by cxt
10/10/14 10:08 AM
The Karate punch
by Ronin1966
10/09/14 03:16 PM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ronin1966
10/08/14 09:22 PM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by AndyLA
10/04/14 10:20 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Forum Stats
22925 Members
36 Forums
35582 Topics
432509 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#179871 - 08/20/05 09:15 AM Re: BJJ reality check [Re: McSensei]
Leo_E_49 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: California
Quote:

It's a question that has been asked of nearly every other kind of MA, so now it's the turn of BJJ.
How effective is BJJ on the street?
I have my own views on this and will air them soon enough, but first, I would like to hear from others.

PS
Let's at least try to keep this polite.

Same answer as every other art. It's not the art that makes the student effective, the student makes the art effective. If the student is not comitted and doesn't train to defend themselves, no art (not BJJ, not anything) will help them defend themselves. BJJ has a good number of techniques which can be used in the street and can counter common "street" techniques. It also covers, in detail, a range of fighting which is only lightly touched on in other MA, thus making it quite exclusive in that area. It's got its pro's and con's like anything else.

#179872 - 08/20/05 02:45 PM Re: BJJ reality check [Re: Leo_E_49]
McSensei Offline
Veteran

Loc: Kent, England
See, I knew it could be done. A rational and level headed discussion on the street effectiveness of BJJ.
MattJ, oh ye of little faith.
My own view is this, that BJJ, JJJ, Judo and all the grappling arts are good, supplimentary arts to support a main art that would be standup. I'm even taking JJJ myself, as the weakest link in my own chain is grappling and groundwork. My one real concern is the power/strength issue.
I feel that in standup highly trained small, against untrained big is relatively even. On the ground I would imagine "highly trained" is not the equalizer that it is in standup. I have heard that in BJJ a lot of emphasis is placed on brute force or whatever works, which kind of defeats the object of the Ju of Jujutsu altogether.
Please correct me if this is wrong.
Good imput so far guys

#179873 - 08/20/05 03:10 PM Re: BJJ reality check [Re: McSensei]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
Quote by McSensei -

Quote:

I have heard that in BJJ a lot of emphasis is placed on brute force or whatever works, which kind of defeats the object of the Ju of Jujutsu altogether.

I'm sure you haven't heard that from anyone that practices BJJ. Technique is paramount, just like in standup. Think back to UFC1 - Royce Gracie vs. Ken Shamrock. The much less muscular Royce was able to beat Ken - QUICKLY - through superior technique.

And Ken Shamrock, in addition to being much stronger, also had some wrestling experience.

It may seem that groundfighting is all about muscle, but don't mistake fighting for dominant postion (which can be hard) with actual submission technique.

BJJ can be very effective in the parameters it was intended for.

#179874 - 08/20/05 06:24 PM Re: BJJ reality check [Re: McSensei]
JKogas Offline
Prolific

Loc: North Carolina
Quote:

I'm even taking JJJ myself, as the weakest link in my own chain is grappling and groundwork. My one real concern is the power/strength issue.

If you're taking Japenese jiu-jitsu, don't expect to learn to grapple well, unless you're doing a lot of live rolling. That's what often sets BRAZILIAN jiu-jitsu apart from it's Japanese cousin. If you're doing a lot of rolling, that's great. Its just not often present within the typical Japanese jiu-jitsu program. Your situation may be different.

Quote:

I feel that in standup highly trained small, against untrained big is relatively even.

Sometimes you don't HAVE to be skilled when you're big. Being BIG is it's own attribute. All a person needs to do is get one lucky shot in on you if they're much bigger. On the ground however, it isn't likely that someone will stumble into a "lucky submission". That requires training in the way that flicking an arm out and back doesn't always require.

Quote:

On the ground I would imagine "highly trained" is not the equalizer that it is in standup.

It's an INCREDIBLE equalizer. You cannot begin to imagine. In fact, the opposite is actually the case. It's my opinion that you don't need as MUCH experience with BJJ to beat a larger untrained person than you would with a striking art. You have to be MUCH better than your opponent with the latter.

In contrast, I once beat a guy who weighed 310 lbs with an armlock in about 30 seconds total. I weighed (at that time) about 185 lbs. I'd been "practicing" BJJ from video tapes with my friends at that time for about a month. I however, would NOT have wanted to "trade" with that guy AT ALL!

Quote:

I have heard that in BJJ a lot of emphasis is placed on brute force or whatever works, which kind of defeats the object of the Ju of Jujutsu altogether.

That's completely inaccurate and couldn't be further from the truth. You'd have to experience it from high level guys. Once you do, every question you may have regarding the art WILL be answered for you.

-John

#179875 - 08/20/05 07:13 PM Re: BJJ reality check [Re: JKogas]
butterfly Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Torrance, CA
McSensei,

To further what John said about the strength/skill set...I have to agree with John here. I will quote an Aikido instrcutor that I trained with for a short time who said "BJJ was Aikido on the ground."

-B

#179876 - 08/20/05 08:43 PM Re: BJJ reality check [Re: JKogas]
McSensei Offline
Veteran

Loc: Kent, England
Thankyou for the correction. As I have said I never had a firm viewpoint in the first place, but I'm grateful for the information.
Just to sidetrack my own thread a little,
Would judo be better for groundwork than JJJ? I keep looking at my sons Judo class and thinking, "I could do that," and they seem to spend a lot more time on the ground than my JJJ class. There is no BJJ class where I live that I'm aware of.

#179877 - 08/20/05 08:48 PM Re: BJJ reality check [Re: butterfly]
oldman Offline
Professional Poster

McS,
I'm a edan in old school tkd. I had the opportunity to train with a BJJ group for thee month when we let then use our school after they lost their lease.After they left i continied grappling with some friends at my home.I have used dvd's and books for training. It wont be heading off to Abu Dabi anytime soon but I am becomeing more capabale on the ground. I'm sure you have the experience when demonstratiing a 1step or self defense and a big 19 year old Brown belt says what if? and then you two are off to the races. Over the last year it has happened 3 or 4 times with me. Each time I have easily locked / choked or submitted both brown and black belts when things went to the ground. It is safe to say that they were all larger and probably stronger than me. It's not rocket science or magic or a quick fix. It step by step just like anything else.Some of the other guys on the thread know me and my story.I'm a trad guy for the most part.It's always frustrating when someone starts slagging on your arts or has just discovered how effective groundwork can be and become a pain in everyone backside. On the other hand I was a Boy Scout "Be Prepared" is still good advice.

#179878 - 08/20/05 09:12 PM Re: BJJ reality check [Re: McSensei]
JKogas Offline
Prolific

Loc: North Carolina
Quote:

Thankyou for the correction. As I have said I never had a firm viewpoint in the first place, but I'm grateful for the information.

That's what we're here for. This is the place to ask questions. I still invite you to the BJJ/MMA forum for further Q&A sessions.

Quote:

Just to sidetrack my own thread a little,
Would judo be better for groundwork than JJJ? I keep looking at my sons Judo class and thinking, "I could do that," and they seem to spend a lot more time on the ground than my JJJ class.

If the JUDO group spends more time on the ground than your JJJ group, I'd HIGHLY advise you to do the judo. Consider that MOST judo groups don't spend NEARLY the time on the ground that the BJJ groups do. Also consider that the very rules within judo serve to keep people from becoming very functional on the ground.

Quote:

There is no BJJ class where I live that I'm aware of.

Buy some DVDs, grab some partners and TRAIN.

-John

#179879 - 08/21/05 12:02 AM Re: BJJ reality check [Re: McSensei]
Fletch1 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Florida
Quote:

I have heard that in BJJ a lot of emphasis is placed on brute force or whatever works,

I can only imagine the level of experience of the person you heard this from.

At 39 years old and 175 lbs, with two bad knees, a bum shoulder and neck, I regularly train competitvely with my 250-265 lb students. When I tap them out, I always credit it to my superior size and stength and tell them to get off the mat and get back in the gym. Everyone gets a good laugh.

Edited by Fletch1 (08/21/05 12:04 AM)

#179880 - 08/21/05 03:54 AM Re: BJJ reality check [Re: McSensei]
jkdchick Offline

Loc: Canada
Quote:

. On the ground I would imagine "highly trained" is not the equalizer that it is in standup.

I recently choked out a 250 pound police officer (we know each other, this was a friendly sparring match) SOLELY because I knew more than he did. He had me down on my back, couldn't think of anything to do but punch, I turned him over, took his back and RNC'd him. I weigh 164.

I had to rush out afterwards, but my instructor said he stood there for a full minute after I left with this "WTF just happened?" look on his face.

Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Cord, Fletch1, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga