FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 33 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
LeroyCFischer, JadeKing, Beefcake, WesJones, simonajones111
22933 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
charlie 2
futsaowingchun 2
Zombie Zero 1
harlan 1
Matakiant 1
November
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
New Topics
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Siu Lin Tao-3rd section applications
by futsaowingchun
11/13/14 06:48 PM
Screen fighting course UK December 2014
by charlie
11/11/14 04:09 PM
Siu Lin Tao-1st section Pak Sao explanations
by futsaowingchun
11/09/14 10:30 PM
I spy kata bunkai..
by GojuRyuboy13
10/29/14 08:28 AM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
MA style video library
by
03/22/06 03:18 PM
Recent Posts
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Siu Lin Tao-3rd section applications
by futsaowingchun
11/13/14 06:48 PM
Screen fighting course UK December 2014
by charlie
11/11/14 04:09 PM
MA style video library
by charlie
11/11/14 04:05 PM
Siu Lin Tao-1st section Pak Sao explanations
by futsaowingchun
11/09/14 10:30 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/29/14 10:01 PM
I spy kata bunkai..
by GojuRyuboy13
10/29/14 08:28 AM
Forum Stats
22933 Members
36 Forums
35589 Topics
432521 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#177779 - 01/09/06 02:07 AM Re: Body Conditioning and basics practice [Re: ta_kuan_dao]
Savate Offline

Loc: New Jersey
I hate to say it, but I don't think there is anything that prepares you for Kung Fu training. Being flexible is helpful. But Kung Fu stances are like no other exercise that I have ever experienced.

I was forced by a move to quit Savate and American Boxing because of my move. I use to live in Detroit and I trained under Julian Loredo who was an excellent trainer and a great fighter, I hated to lose him as a trainer. I moved to the East Coast so I had always wanted to learn Kung Fu, so I gave Northern Chinese Long Fist a try. Kung Fu stances are hard even though I came from a kicking and strengthing background. The flexibility was a plus, but I had to practice the stances religiously in order to get them to work for me. I had no choice but to practice holding low tigers, lotus, and horse stances until my legs started to burn. Then go through that day after day until I could transition between stances. I had to practice those stances and build some stamina in my legs before I could do the forms, luckily I had the flexibility so that I did not have to fight that to.

Kung Fu is hard stance work, but I wish that I would have had that kind of training before I started Savate and full contact, because it is an excellent foundation. I really enjoy Kung Fu, and I have a lot of respect for it's hardcore training.

#177780 - 01/09/06 03:57 AM Re: Body Conditioning and basics practice [Re: ta_kuan_dao]
VigilanteSilver Offline

Loc: Location, Location!
Well I remember when I started Kung Fu that I wished I were more aerobically in-shape before. I suggest going through a normal warm up routine like you would do with any sport, but adding a couple of things:

Plyometrics: Do ankle hops, double leg jumps, and single leg jumps as fast and as high as you can get them. This helps with fast-twitch muscle response, and if you want to get into aerial techniques (very fun), you'll need height and control in your jumps.

Stretching: Flexibility never hurts. I suggest trying to get as close to the splits as you can. I found once I got my splits, I was able to lock into my low stances much easier.

All the other suggestions people have already posted are good. Don't train too much though, because trying to do consecutive tornado kicks in your garage is sure to lead to at least a headache...

#177781 - 01/11/06 03:34 AM A Heavy Bag is Safe and Good for Conditioning [Re: ta_kuan_dao]
ShenLungStudent Offline

Loc: California
If you're near a gym or if you have the money to afford one, I highly recommend you begin training on heavy bags. It's fairly hard to hurt yourself on a heavy bag (except in a couple ways, which I will address) and it's a great way to start conditioning your knuckles, wrists, shins, and feet. You may start on a 100 lbs. bag, or a 150 lbs. bag, whichever you feel comfortable with, however I wouldn't recommend going lighter or heavier than that. Punch the bag straight on (no john wayne style hook punches as you can role your hand and hurt your wrists if you haven't already strengthened them) and throw roundhouse kicks (don't worry so much about form for now, as every art will vary slightly, just make sure you connect with the shin. As always, with punches or kicks, don't aim to 'hit' the bag, aim through the bag and strike as if you're punching or kicking to infinite space. Once you start feel comfortable with your strikes (don't rush yourself, if it takes a few days or a couple weeks of practicing before you start to feel comfortable laying into the bag, that's fine. You have your whole life to train and condition yourself, rushing will only lead to injury which will slow you down) begin to do 30-second or 1-minute drills where you continually kick the bag with the same shin over and over as fast and as hard as you can. Make sure you reset the strike back to a neutral position so you can maximum power every time and don't give up!

If you find your knuckles start to bleed, invest in a set of light-weight, leather only punching bag gloves. Eventually they should toughen up and you'll find, if you're careful, that you won't need them. Also, if you begin to feel an aching sensation in your wrist then you should buy some wrist-wraps and wrap your wrists during practice until the pain goes away. It's very common (in fact, almost 100% of the time) to develop "boxer's sprain" where the radius and ulna begin to separate, however, there's no reason for it to become a serious problem if you address it appropriately.

#177782 - 01/29/06 10:58 PM Re: Body Conditioning and basics practice *DELETED* [Re: VigilanteSilver]
Guy Offline

Loc: Indiana USA
Post deleted by RazorFoot

#177783 - 01/31/06 03:53 PM Re: Body Conditioning and basics practice *DELETED* [Re: Guy]
Guy Offline

Post deleted by RazorFoot

#177784 - 01/31/06 10:01 PM Re: Body Conditioning and basics practice *DELETED* [Re: Guy]
Guy Offline

Post deleted by RazorFoot due to the lack of any credible content what so ever.

Edited by RazorFoot (02/01/06 09:26 AM)

#177785 - 01/31/06 10:17 PM Re: Body Conditioning and basics practice [Re: Guy]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
Quote by Guy -

Quote:

And so my advice for those who wish to have an almost invincible defence like me is. Stand and let someone hit you square on the sternum so hard that you fracture it. And then when you can breath again, which will be about a week later, go back to class and spar everyday for 30 minutes or so against someone who likes to spar rough like we did in class

I do believe this is the single most stupid and irresponsible post I have ever seen. If this is supposed to be a joke or sarcasm, it did not work. For someone of your supposed vast amount of training, you are not very good at taking into account the beginners that may be reading garbage like that.

#177786 - 01/31/06 10:39 PM Re: Body Conditioning and basics practice [Re: Guy]
kusojiji Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: kokokokokoko
Quote:

And so my advice for those who wish to have an almost invincible defence like me is. Stand and let someone hit you square on the sternum so hard that you fracture it. And then when you can breath again, which will be about a week later, go back to class and spar everyday for 30 minutes or so against someone who likes to spar rough like we did in class. I well absolutely guarantee you will quickly develop the most awesome defence possible. Like they say, no pain no gain. You can thank me later.

Guy

I'm sorry, I have to call 'teenage troll' on this character. The evidence is just too strong!
Optional signature you may use to appear at bottom of your posts. Note: The Signature feature is currently not enabled by this bulletin board's administrator. You may use UBB Code in this field, but not HTML. The UBB Code Image tag is not permitted, however.

#177787 - 02/01/06 05:03 PM Re: Body Conditioning and basics practice [Re: kusojiji]
Guy Offline

Quote:

I'm sorry, I have to call 'teenage troll' on this character. The evidence is just too strong!

I have found from experience that dudes who have a fixation on my personality and that is all they want to talk about, well how should I put this mildly, their desires lack integrity with their gender and I immediately end any association with them.

So goodbye forever.

Guy

#177788 - 02/01/06 10:07 PM Re: Body Conditioning and basics practice [Re: Guy]
Taison Offline
The Forum Dragon
Professional Poster

Loc: BKK, Thailand
Quote:

And so my advice for those who wish to have an almost invincible defence like me is. Stand and let someone hit you square on the sternum so hard that you fracture it. And then when you can breath again, which will be about a week later, go back to class and spar everyday for 30 minutes or so against someone who likes to spar rough like we did in class

HAHAHA [Laughs like a rabies ridden hyena]. I thought this guy was stupid, but no longer do I think. He is. That statement is so out of truth, it's not even funny.

I assume, he's some type of new inbred of troll that is able to camoflauge himself to appear as a MA master. Still, troll's a troll. They appear and go away.

Back to topic.

Plyometrics. Lightweight weight training, with more reps and sets. That should help your body become stronger while not developing Arnold type muscles.

Run as often as you can. You need your legs to relax and tense up every now and then.

-Taison out

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Cord, Gavin, JasonM, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga