FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 39 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Shanktotheright, royal, bobgalle100011, agenonline, TooNice
22862 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
THEFOREVERMAN 3
MattJ 2
royal 2
Dobbersky 2
Marcus Charles 1
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
New Topics
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by Marcus Charles
03/24/14 04:39 PM
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Dobbersky
03/20/14 05:45 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
AKK kata question
by
09/04/05 01:27 PM
Recent Posts
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:22 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:20 AM
AKK kata question
by MattJ
04/04/14 05:45 PM
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Forum Stats
22862 Members
36 Forums
35546 Topics
432378 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#177358 - 08/11/05 12:33 PM Thinking of Leaving TKD
FiGhTiNg_PhAnTom Offline

Loc: 23-F-NY
Hi fellas, this is my first post here but I've been hanging around for a while now before actually joining up. Anyway, I've been practicing TKD for a while. I actually started my MA training in Karate, but changed to TKD when the Karate school I attended transfered to another location. I've taken WTF TKD for several years but I don't really think it's the style for me. All we do is the same old routine over and over again, and only focus on kicking and sparring. I'm not learning anything that I can actually use for self defense in the real world. We basically train to compete in tournaments or sparring competitions. I was thinking about changing to ITF TKD, but now I'm really considering leaving TKD altogether and taking up Shotokan Karate. Or at least a system that will incorporate kicking, punching, self defense, sparring, and forms into the training and not just kicking and sparring. Friends say I should stick it out until I get my black belt and then leave but I don't know. Reaching black belt at my current school wouldn't really mean that much to me (for several reasons). Might as well leave as a current 2nd Gup rather than continue wasting my time. So what do you forum fellas think? Should I stick it out or move on?

#177359 - 08/11/05 12:36 PM Re: Thinking of Leaving TKD [Re: FiGhTiNg_PhAnTom]
Christie Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Waterloo, ON
Not all Tae Kwon Do schools are like that, sounds to be that your school is more sport based. If you truly aren't happy switch to where you will be or find another Tae Kwon Do school that doesn't focuse entirely on sport. There are Tae Kwon Do schools out there that are very well rounded, you just have to find them.

#177360 - 08/11/05 12:38 PM Re: Thinking of Leaving TKD [Re: FiGhTiNg_PhAnTom]
butterfly Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Torrance, CA
Phantom,

From what you described and your feelings toward your particular dojang, I would leave.

If one is satisfied, and some are, with what they are doing...perhaps that is all they want, or because of lack of experience with the larger picture of self defense that you are concerned about...then this would be fine, even if it is out of ignorance of what might be presented.

However, for you, look elsewhere. However, keep in mind that not all TKD schools are like this.

Good luck!

-B

#177361 - 08/11/05 01:12 PM Re: Thinking of Leaving TKD [Re: FiGhTiNg_PhAnTom]
kickcatcher Offline

Loc: UK
Quote:

Hi fellas, this is my first post here but I've been hanging around for a while now before actually joining up. Anyway, I've been practicing TKD for a while. I actually started my MA training in Karate, but changed to TKD when the Karate school I attended transfered to another location. I've taken WTF TKD for several years but I don't really think it's the style for me. All we do is the same old routine over and over again, and only focus on kicking and sparring. I'm not learning anything that I can actually use for self defense in the real world. We basically train to compete in tournaments or sparring competitions. I was thinking about changing to ITF TKD, but now I'm really considering leaving TKD altogether and taking up Shotokan Karate. Or at least a system that will incorporate kicking, punching, self defense, sparring, and forms into the training and not just kicking and sparring. Friends say I should stick it out until I get my black belt and then leave but I don't know. Reaching black belt at my current school wouldn't really mean that much to me (for several reasons). Might as well leave as a current 2nd Gup rather than continue wasting my time. So what do you forum fellas think? Should I stick it out or move on?

Keep an open mind to all styles. Don't let "TKD loyalty" bias you.

#177362 - 08/11/05 01:16 PM Re: Thinking of Leaving TKD [Re: butterfly]
FiGhTiNg_PhAnTom Offline

Yes, the school I go to is olympic sport (WTF). They'll teach a self defense technique once every couple months or so and even then we'll only get to practice it for one session and never again. I mean, how are you supposed to get something down pat if we only do it once in a blue?! Anyway, at first I wanted to just switch schools and not leave TKD altogether but then I started researching other TKD schools and most were olympic Sport (WTF) TKD schools which is what I wanna steer away from, many were your typical McDojo's, and the one really good ITF school that I did manage to find was deep in the city (NYC) and waaaaay out of my budgetary constraints (as mostly everything in Manhattan is nowadays, but that's another story :0) If I could manage to find a good school that taught traditional TKD and didn't have rates exclusively for the rich, I'd be more than happy to sign up. I'd never thought it'd be this difficult

#177363 - 08/11/05 01:23 PM Re: Thinking of Leaving TKD [Re: FiGhTiNg_PhAnTom]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Loc: Great White North
I'm with the others (1) leave and (2) not all TKD schools are the same.

Make a list of the things you want to learn. Visit other schools to see if they teach this. Talk to instructors and students and then make a better choice.

Good luck

#177364 - 08/11/05 01:25 PM Re: Thinking of Leaving TKD [Re: kickcatcher]
FiGhTiNg_PhAnTom Offline

kickcatcher, I'm definitely open to other styles. I embrace all MA. I'm definitely not blinded by "TKD loyalty". That's why I'm considering other styles. I just want to train in a style that incorporates the 5 basic elements that I'm looking for: kicking, punching, self-defense*, sparring, and forms. I don't want to practice something that will be of no use to me in the real world if ever, God forbid, my well being was in danger. If I manage to find what I'm looking for in another TKD school then that'd be great, but if not I'd have no problem with moving on. Sure I'd hafta start over as a white belt, but at least I'd be a white belt with skills :-D

#177365 - 08/11/05 01:27 PM Re: Thinking of Leaving TKD [Re: FiGhTiNg_PhAnTom]
Christie Offline
Enthusiast

WTF does not imply olympic sport. I train at a WTF school in Toronto but we do self defence techniques in every class, we are taught the applications of our forms, blocks etc., there is some grappling introduced once you are about a green/purple belt. If you are not happy with Tae Kwon Do then switch to another art you have interested in, don't stay at the school you are at if you don't like it. But WTF != (does not equal) sport. I can't argue that many WTF schools focuse 95% of their effort on competition sparring, but not all of them do. Don't associate WTF with sport, because thats not true.

However I hope you find what you are looking for and good luck with your training.

#177366 - 08/11/05 01:45 PM Re: Thinking of Leaving TKD [Re: Christie]
FiGhTiNg_PhAnTom Offline

Actually WTF IS indeed olympic sport. That your school incorporates self defense techniques on a regular basis is a valuable addition to your training but it doesn't negate that if it classifies itself as WTF, it is an olympic sport based school. The World Taekwondo Federation style of TKD IS olympic sport and that is why it's the only style of TKD accepted in the olympics. Just because a WTF school happens to incorporate self defense in their training doesn't exclude it from being sport based.

#177367 - 08/11/05 01:49 PM Re: Thinking of Leaving TKD [Re: FiGhTiNg_PhAnTom]
Christie Offline
Enthusiast

Quote:

WTF IS indeed olympic sport.

Not in its entirety. WTF is an organization not a style of Tae Kwon Do. WTF governs the sparring rules, not what is to be taught in class. If a school classifies itself as WTF that means they follow the WTF sparring rules and use the patterns chosen by the WTF organization. Thats all it means, granted the WTF as an organization is certainly olympic sport, but WTF is not a style of Tae Kwon Do and a WTF school can be a well rounded school and stil be WTF.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga