FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 23 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Troy7785, wakita, swisztony, Tonybb, shelly1993
22920 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
futsaowingchun 3
Matakiant 3
AndyLA 3
Bartfast 1
GojuRyuboy13 1
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Martial News
by Matakiant
09/23/14 06:42 AM
STX Kickboxing Seminar
by Marcus Charles
09/09/14 06:57 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by
05/13/07 08:02 AM
Eugue Ryu
by
03/27/07 12:06 AM
Recent Posts
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Victor Smith
09/28/14 07:11 PM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Martial News
by Matakiant
09/23/14 06:42 AM
attacked from behind
by AndyLA
09/19/14 09:05 AM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
09/18/14 06:07 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Zombie Zero
09/16/14 04:43 PM
Eugue Ryu
by kolslaw
09/12/14 03:35 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
Forum Stats
22920 Members
36 Forums
35579 Topics
432500 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#177113 - 08/11/05 01:48 PM Re: Judo Dislocation Necklocks [Re: BigRod]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Loc: Great White North
I'm with BigRod on this. Trained adults okay ... others ... bad. As a trained adult you are in the understanding that injury can occur and you accept that. A trained adult will tap out if they feel they are in danger thus avoiding any serious injury ... again ... trained to do so.

For myself, beside a neck crank doing these moves I've never been hurt ... but full grappling from stand up I have and am currently. I went to the ground with another opponent and we went hard. My neck and shoulder hit and now I have to crushed vertabrea in my neck which has caused a nerve to be pinched that makes my right arm/hand vibrate all of the time like a tends machine. Many times my right hand will go numb. Also my right chest is affected. This makes my weight lifting and martial arts training very limited. I'm scheduled for an MRI on Sept. 27, 2005 and then to see a neurologist ... and that can be 5 to 19 months ... not including surgery which I've been told it most likely.

I accepted the fact that I could get injuried ... this was an unfortunate part of my training and I blame nobody. I could have got this injury just wrestling around with friends ... but without training it may have been worse. Trained adults accept the fact that injuries can occur and we move on and continue training. Heck during sparring I could break your leg by accident ... or mine ... but it won't stop me.

Again ... trained adults ... good ... untrained persons and children ... bad.

#177114 - 08/12/05 09:25 AM Re: Judo Dislocation Necklocks [Re: Dereck]
BigRod Offline
Does it all

Loc: Atlanta, GA
I was thrown on my head and shoulder once as well, it was nothing nice. Luckily it wasn't serious. My whole arm tingled for about 1 minute, and my finger tips tingled for at least a month after that. I just had a few bruised nerves.

That's what I get for training takedowns on a carpeted floor I guess.

#177115 - 08/12/05 09:43 AM Re: Judo Dislocation Necklocks [Re: BigRod]
thegnome Offline

There's a reason why these are not allowed in shiai. Now that I'm doing BJJ I'm still a bit wary of them. I botched a hadaka jime in a tournament once and wound up getting a penalty (chui, I think) and lots of really bad looks from the crowd. I would have much rather sunk the choke and got the Ippon, but I just got too exited and screwed up. The guy was a friend of mine as well which just made it worse. Fortunately he didn't get hurt but it just made me think about how dangerous those are when going full speed.

#177116 - 08/12/05 11:17 AM Re: Judo Dislocation Necklocks [Re: BigRod]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Loc: Great White North
Quote:

I was thrown on my head and shoulder once as well, it was nothing nice. Luckily it wasn't serious. My whole arm tingled for about 1 minute, and my finger tips tingled for at least a month after that. I just had a few bruised nerves.

That's what I get for training takedowns on a carpeted floor I guess.

Exact thing happened to me BigRod with the immediate tingling and numbness. Then I things got better ... or so I thought ... and then things took a nose dive for the worse. I think continued grappling just made it worse. Was feeling good and then woke up one morning at 2:00 and was in severe pain. Thought first was my rotator cuff as had problems years before with it. Didn't realize that the pain in my shoulder/arm/hand was actually a pinched nerve. GP couldn't figure this out but a sports doctor did.

#177117 - 08/12/05 05:16 PM Re: Judo Dislocation Necklocks [Re: thegnome]
BigRod Offline
Does it all

gnome,

is the choke you were talking about? If it is, I don't care for this either, as it can damage the windpipe.

http://www.judo-for-all.com/Theory/Theory-pages/Shime/Hadaka-Jime.htm

#177118 - 08/13/05 09:33 PM Re: Judo Dislocation Necklocks [Re: BigRod]
thegnome Offline

Yep, I saw the opening and rushed in way to fast and hard. He was a buddy of mine so I felt like crap (although I would have felt just as bad if he wasn't). Nobody got hurt, but I can see how it could happen.

#177119 - 08/14/05 02:24 AM Re: Judo Dislocation Necklocks [Re: BigRod]
hugo Offline
Elvis Sharkey

Loc: I am not going to specify that...
Quote:

This is an interesting page. The techniques shown are basically the can opener (from the mount), the guillotene from standing and the gaurd, a gaurd pass, and a variation of kesa-gatame (scarf hold).

The author describes these techniques as "very DANGEROUS and should be taught only from the grade of Brown Belt."

Okay....whatever.

These things are all taught from day one in BJJ and sub wrestling. I've been doing them forever and have yet to see any serious or even minor injuries from these moves.

Anyway, heres the link:

http://judoinfo.com/kubiwaza.htm

Evidently your club is not centered around traditional principles and the general principle of martial arts then. The whole aim is to create an enviroment where learners can learn the arts and at the same time be in a safe enviroment. Teaching these techniaques from "day 1" is stupid and irrational.

#177120 - 08/14/05 03:42 PM Re: Judo Dislocation Necklocks [Re: hugo]
BigRod Offline
Does it all

According to you, that is.

The schools I attended didn't literally start teaching these things on your first day, but they had no artificial limitations on when you can learn a technique.

I've noticed only tradional MA schools (Judo included) engage in the practice of "you can't learn this move until...".

In MMA schools/submission wrestling and even BJJ schools, a student might be taught any technique at any time.

#177121 - 08/19/05 03:19 AM Re: Judo Dislocation Necklocks [Re: BigRod]
Chanters Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Manchester, UK
Quote:

I've noticed only tradional MA schools (Judo included) engage in the practice of "you can't learn this move until...".

In other words don't run until you can walk. This is for obvious safety reasons. You need to learn the basic principles in order to build up and be able to execute the more advanced techniques sufficiently.

#177122 - 08/22/05 02:29 PM Re: Judo Dislocation Necklocks [Re: Chanters]
BigRod Offline
Does it all

Chanters, I agree with you regarding safety and building a solid foundation of technique.

BUT, different schools/styles operate differently, sometimes completely opposite of each other. They each have their own idea of what "advanced" techniques are and when to teach them.

For example, In BJJ you typically only learn leg locks at Blue Belt and above, for whatever reason. In Sub Wrestling, within a few weeks or a month you'll be learning leg locks. Same thing with the Guillotene in Judo. It wasn't taught to me at all in my Judo school during the entire 3 months I was there. In BJJ I was taught and using it within a month of starting.

Another example. The karate school I used to attend, my instructor said you can't learn anything about swords until you get to Black Belt. But yet I could've gone and joined a local Kendo club and started learning everything I wanted to know about swords from day one.

My point of all this is these "limitations" are somewhat artificial, created by individual instructors or some tradition being carried on for whatever reason.

Once I started attending a variety of different schools, I noticed these sorts of things. What one instructor said I wasn't ready for, another instructor had no problem teaching me. What you can learn and when is completely subjective.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, Fletch1, MattJ, Reiki, Taison 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga