FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 45 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
LeroyCFischer, JadeKing, Beefcake, WesJones, simonajones111
22933 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
charlie 2
futsaowingchun 2
harlan 1
William_Bent 1
simonajones111 1
November
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
New Topics
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Siu Lin Tao-3rd section applications
by futsaowingchun
11/13/14 06:48 PM
Screen fighting course UK December 2014
by charlie
11/11/14 04:09 PM
Siu Lin Tao-1st section Pak Sao explanations
by futsaowingchun
11/09/14 10:30 PM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
MA style video library
by
03/22/06 03:18 PM
Recent Posts
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Siu Lin Tao-3rd section applications
by futsaowingchun
11/13/14 06:48 PM
Screen fighting course UK December 2014
by charlie
11/11/14 04:09 PM
MA style video library
by charlie
11/11/14 04:05 PM
Siu Lin Tao-1st section Pak Sao explanations
by futsaowingchun
11/09/14 10:30 PM
Forum Stats
22933 Members
36 Forums
35589 Topics
432521 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#176078 - 08/17/05 06:43 PM Re: 9 Pillars of Aikido [Re: Diga]
eyrie Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: QLD, Australia
No offense taken and none implied on my part.

Just trying to subtley raise the level of discussion.

I eagerly await your thoughts.

#176079 - 08/18/05 03:37 PM Re: 9 Pillars of Aikido [Re: eyrie]
Diga Offline

Loc: Hoodsport, Washington
Ooh Maaan !
I had several peragraphs typed up to respond.
Then because one of those smily face expressions above would have been the best way to explain a statement - I tried to put 2 of them in my writing.
I must have messed up because all of what I wrote dissapeared.
Shucks....I think I just figured out how. Too late now.
Out of time again today.
Will try again later.

#176080 - 08/18/05 06:35 PM Re: 9 Pillars of Aikido [Re: eyrie]
Diga Offline

OK...Here we go again.
As I look back at what I was writing before it is probably a good thing that I never finished with it. I think I was beating around the bush too much anyway.

To get right back to it I will start with what I think is key to this topic - Visualization.

In Dr. Stephen T Chang's book - The Complete System of Self Healing (internal exercises), He emphasizes the importance of visualization. In the 8 direction set and the 5 animal exercises the first thing you do on every exercise is close your eyes and visualize the direction or animal you are going to execute and as soon as the vision dissapears you stop and try again.
Myself - I have never been able to actually see a picture like immage but I do get an internal feeling or additude that to me is recognisable for each manouver.
Now I am able to bring up any of these additudes at will or I can notice when one has been brought about by someone or something else.
The interesting thing about this practice is an additude or direction of someone else can also instinctively be seen or felt.

Now....Carlose Castenadas books on the Yaqui way of knowledge tells that one can conjure up an image or additude and allow or will another to see the gist of it for themselves. Words need not be included to show someone your point of view.

These are two of the best explinations of what I believe your topic is about.
After I worked with the animal postures for some time I began to include them in my martial arts sparring. They proved to be one of my best allies when things are not going my way.
In my tight group of 5 old friends that have been working out togather for 30+ years, they have learned to see when I make a change from one additude to another and there is always some comment like " oooh (censored) or here it comes" When sparring with someone that doesn't know me as well I see them or , which in turn gives me more confidence which equals more power.
These have proved to be excellent tools in sparring and life in general.

I hope this is somewhere close to what you are talking about. I know this topic is much harder to discuss than wrist locks and snap punches but it is also more important.
After this I am going to check out more of your posts.
So far it is nice to meet you.
I do miss the Aikido class additude. Ki Aikido was the style I practiced many years ago.
--------------------------------
A quick note about Aikido.
Being as I am not a violent person, after I caught a burgler in the act of robbing my house and chased him out to my yard. When I caught up and grabbed him ( all I knew was Karate) I still was not upset enough to want to harm him so I did not kick or hit him. I took my backpack full of our loot away from him and told him to run.
After that I decided to take Aikido. If I could have pinned him down I could have held him until the police came. As it was he got away to maybe rob someone else later.
Aikido would have been the perfect thing for that situation.

#176081 - 08/21/05 11:13 AM Re: 9 Pillars of Aikido [Re: eyrie]
Diga Offline

In addition to my last post there is another very important key.
J. Krishnamurti's books and lectures on seeing the world.
Seeing the truth in the truth.
Seeing the false in the truth.
Seeing the false in the false.
Seeing the truth in the false.

The topics I mentioned may not seem like the 9 pillars that you are talking about but in the end they do cover the territory that you are inquiring about.
Naturally my brief statements are not enough to make anyone actually understand what they all mean, but if one "sees" then it would make some sense and "seeing" correctly is the key to it all.

#176082 - 08/21/05 07:10 PM Re: 9 Pillars of Aikido [Re: Diga]
eyrie Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: QLD, Australia
It seems we are of like minds.

I'd be interested to see what other arts (let's take karate for example) see as their pillars or underlying principles.

Goju, for example, means "hard-soft". To me this is an embodiment of the yin/yang principle. Sanchin and Tensho are ways of developing ki and kokyu power (i.e. kiko/qigong). What other principles are there? Similar? Different?

#176083 - 08/29/05 11:11 PM Re: 9 Pillars of Aikido [Re: eyrie]
Diga Offline

Sorry it has taken me so long to add more to this topic.
Actually....I don't believe Go Ju has much in common with the spiritual aspect of martial arts. It is more scientific, geometrical and it states that learning the basics well is better than going on to more complex techniques too soon.
If anything crosses my mind in the direction you are asking about I will try again.

#176084 - 09/19/05 09:32 PM Re: 9 Pillars of Aikido [Re: eyrie]
Jason DeLucia Offline
Professional Fighter

Quote:

Thank you Jason for your thought provoking post. From what you are saying, there are any number of pillars in aikido. And it is up to the individual to adopt and adapt these into their own personal practice and continue to refine "budo" techniques in the spirit of aikido.

However, I'm curious as to how "kumite" figures in the picture.

chuck liddell in ufc is a perfect example of karate kumite the way it was meant .

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga