FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 33 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bartfast, ZapEm, AndyLA, danacohenn, ksusanc
22906 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 10
AndyLA 5
futsaowingchun 4
cxt 3
FrankyFruits 2
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
New Topics
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
32 minutes 23 seconds ago
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
Yesterday at 05:22 AM
Chi Sao demonstration
by futsaowingchun
08/14/14 10:57 PM
Decent Fight channel
by FrankyFruits
08/07/14 09:19 PM
2014 European Championships Cadets Athens: Videos
by ergees
08/07/14 10:00 AM
Life goes on....
by Dobbersky
08/07/14 05:59 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
Applied center line theory
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:55 AM
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/14/14 10:49 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
Recent Posts
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
32 minutes 23 seconds ago
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
Yesterday at 05:22 AM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by VDJ
08/15/14 05:46 PM
Chi Sao demonstration
by futsaowingchun
08/14/14 10:57 PM
The Karate punch
by Dobbersky
08/12/14 05:14 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Dobbersky
08/11/14 05:03 AM
Decent Fight channel
by FrankyFruits
08/07/14 09:19 PM
2014 European Championships Cadets Athens: Videos
by ergees
08/07/14 10:00 AM
Life goes on....
by Dobbersky
08/07/14 05:59 AM
A post for those who might become martial artists.
by AndyLA
08/06/14 07:25 AM
Forum Stats
22906 Members
36 Forums
35571 Topics
432473 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#174900 - 09/20/05 09:49 PM Re: fighting stance: orthodox or south paw?! [Re: Neko456]
etaks86 Offline

In my opinion like many others of course it's important to be effective with both stances. but i do tend to stand stong forward more i guess force of habit it's just more natural that way. but i do agree it's very important to be effective in both stances. either way i believe in fast, simple and direct moves work the best. or if you want to mix it up alittle you can use directly indirect moves to throw the other person off. equal speed and power + simplicity in technic + correct timing and correct body mechanics = effective attack. anyway i see you guys/girls around. later people

#174901 - 11/19/05 09:33 AM Re: fighting stance: orthodox or south paw?! [Re: Jay Q]
TheMongoose Offline
Stranger

Loc: Southern California
In JKD we initially teach the "Strong Side Lead". This allows, expecically from long range, your strong and accurate arm to be used frequently with a high degree of speed & power with minimal waste and maximum efficiency.

This also serves to provide power to the rear cross and rear leg by taking advantage of the body torque and momentum when they are used.

However, in later stages, the JKD Man should have a "No Weak Side" ability to use either lead at his discretion with minimal drop off, speed or power.

Kawabunga!

#174902 - 11/29/05 08:28 AM Re: fighting stance: orthodox or south paw?! [Re: TheMongoose]
simplicity Offline

Loc: Michigan
How I teach my students, is to hit from where you are at any giving time....this will keep things simple and direct to the point of impact....

Peace-Out!

#174903 - 11/29/05 11:29 AM Re: fighting stance: orthodox or south paw?! [Re: etaks86]
Neko456 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Midwest City, Ok, USA
I agree totally but I feel it must be done effectively not just because I can do it. If a guy has a problem fighting a left side fighter I'll do it the whole fight until he figures it out, if he doesn't thats all he will see, most likely.

Like you all I try to effective on both sides but I don't fool myself I know were the powers and speeds at. Both sides have power but each has its strengthens and weakness, my right side has less weakness and more diversity.

#174904 - 01/18/06 04:46 PM Re: fighting stance: orthodox or south paw?! [Re: etaks86]
RavenG4 Offline

Loc: New Jersey, USA
It is good to be able to fight "south paw." Bruce Lee while fighting leaned strong side first was able to fight equally from both sides. It is best to be an ambidexterous fighter.

#174905 - 07/07/07 12:29 AM Re: fighting stance: orthodox or south paw?! [Re: Jay Q]
UnknownFighter Offline

Loc: unknown
lee taught his students not to only favor one side. Although lee favored the south paw stance, he taught you should always train both sides of your body. Don't cheat your body by staying in one stance. lee would use his feet in movement and switch stances many time as he engages his target.

#174906 - 07/09/07 08:12 AM Re: fighting stance: orthodox or south paw?! [Re: UnknownFighter]
jkdwarrior Offline

Loc: belfast, Antrim, Ireland
I think Lee definitely favoured the power side forward in order to be able to land the big shots more easily. I think it something like 80 or 90% of the strikes should be done with the lead side, so make them great ones. While he trained both sides equally, the majority of his instruction was southpaw. I believe he switched stances more in his movies than he would have in a real fight which he would probably do to confuse his opponent with many variations. Nowadays I think you should train both but you'll always favour one over the other

#174907 - 07/14/07 01:17 PM Re: fighting stance: orthodox or south paw?! [Re: jkdwarrior]
badeofblade Offline

I train both, and I've found I'm better at defending when using left lead, and better at attacking when using right lead... Right lead also gives me an oppertunity to rest my left arm after it's tuckered from defending

#174908 - 07/17/07 07:52 PM Re: fighting stance: orthodox or south paw?! [Re: JKogas]
Cadfael Offline

This subject is of great interest to me. I have pondered this issue and have came to a conclusion. My thesis is Bruce Lee's teaching about using the strong side as your main lead is simply based upon insecurity on his part. He must have undoubtably been insecure regarding the Western boxing lead.

The wisdom of the Western boxing lead stands supreme in my mind because such a jab can be trained to its maximum level regarding speed and power. This punch if delivered properly after training it can be very potent as a simple offensive attack, or as a set up punch. Further, this punch is more excellent if it is modified into a vertical punch with torque at the end coupled with the snap. The torque at the end creates a horizontal fist which agrees with the horizontal plane of the shoulders. This creates a full coordination of rhythm that a simple vertical punch lacks--Bruce Lee was wrong to that extent. I conclude that Lee's approach to the vertical punch was wrong because of the lack of torque at the end. This is evident in the photos in Bruce Lee's Fighting Method Vol.3. Lastly, the rear straight punch is going to be the power punch. This power punch is superior because it is not sacraficing power for speed--Remember Lee is primarilly remembered for his speed and not his power. His disire for utmost speed was probably an insecurity as well. However, a fast punch using maximum power would have more knock out potential. On the otherhand, you could just throw exceptionally fast weaker punches.

In the final analysis, train your so-called weak arm as much as you can to create a devestating jab that can equal your strong arm and use the rear straight for maximum power.

Cadfael

P.S. I understand that some people who love Bruce Lee may take offence to this post. However, I believe if we are to be fully developed individuals, we must slay our gods. In my thoughts, Lee has become classical.

Edited by Cadfael (07/17/07 08:15 PM)

#174909 - 05/25/08 08:31 PM Re: fighting stance: orthodox or south paw?! [Re: JKogas]
skinters Offline

Loc: swansea,wales
my advice is to train both sides equally and be comfortable striking with both. it takes time to develop your opposite side and to many give in with the excuse it dont feel right i can fight either stance if im in orthodox and get pushed into a southpaw stance ill stay there . sometimes you have no choice and you will get pushed to your awkward side and nobodys going to wait until you change your stance coz you not comfortable .

Edited by skinters (05/25/08 08:34 PM)

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Cord, JKogas, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga