FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 35 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
AndyLA, danacohenn, ksusanc, kellypnik123, leyinn
22904 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 14
cxt 7
trevek 6
JKogas 5
futsaowingchun 3
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
Applied center line theory
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:55 AM
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/14/14 10:49 PM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/11/14 03:36 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
12/30/13 08:32 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Prizewriter
04/16/12 02:48 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
04/12/12 11:16 AM
Throwing
by
04/23/05 10:58 PM
Recent Posts
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Dobbersky
07/29/14 05:11 AM
Applied center line theory
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:55 AM
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:53 AM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by cxt
07/24/14 11:35 AM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/14/14 04:50 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:35 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
07/09/14 06:13 AM
Throwing
by JKogas
07/03/14 07:40 PM
Forum Stats
22904 Members
36 Forums
35564 Topics
432455 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#174880 - 08/03/05 02:34 PM fighting stance: orthodox or south paw?!
Jay Q Offline

I'm right handed and also kick a lot better with my right leg than left. Consequently, I was taught early on in my MA training to use my right hand as my cross (knockout punch). The theory being to set up my combos with a left jab and knockout the opponent with the right cross.

I know most people are right handed and I know that most fight orthodox style (left as the front jab, right as the cross). I'm thinking of switching stances to south paw because my right kicks are a lot better than my left. I can also set up more combination kicks with my right leg (hook, low thai kick, high thai kick, occassional axe kick, etc.) My problem with orthodox stance was that when I kicked with my right leg (which was to the rear of my stance) my opponent would see it coming because it was a longer distance to travel.

Anyways, sorry for the long post. Just wanted to know of any of your experiences with switching stances after fighting a certain way for a long time. I'm going to experiment tonight at my sparring session. Thanks for the input!

Peace,
JQ

#174881 - 08/03/05 07:34 PM Re: fighting stance: orthodox or south paw?! [Re: Jay Q]
cinattra Offline
Stranger

The rear hand/leg is supposed to be your power hand/leg. I can't see how you can throw a power kick from your front leg, especially when your opponents leg will be so close to yours since he will be in an orthodox stance with left leg forward and you're in the southpaw stance. Hook kicks seem out of place for MMA and more the domain of TKD point scoring.

I'd say develop your left leg for strong low kicks the occassional high kick or learn to fight with your right leg forward sometimes and back the others.

#174882 - 08/03/05 08:02 PM Re: fighting stance: orthodox or south paw?! [Re: cinattra]
Jay Q Offline

Good point cinatra. I agree that it's important to be able to switch stances when needed; to flow and adapt. Thanks.
JQ

#174883 - 08/07/05 12:28 AM Re: fighting stance: orthodox or south paw?! [Re: Jay Q]
Chen Zen Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Ms
It is important to be able to switch between the two effectively. Imade the switch to southpaw a few years ago, putting my strong side forward. It is quite possible to generate power from the lead. In kicks or punches. Its in the footwork and the use of good body mechanics.

#174884 - 08/09/05 06:05 AM Re: fighting stance: orthodox or south paw?! [Re: Chen Zen]
Ayub Offline
heartbreaker, lifetaker

Loc: London, UK
I too have made the switch to fighting southpaw and have found that having your more coordinated side forward allows you to fully capitalise on your own speed attribute. As Chen Zen said one is able to generate lots of power by attacks from your lead by body mechanics, just look at Bruce Lee's lead side kick for proof. Also the additional speed allows one to effectively intercept an opponenents attack. The low lead kick for instance, easily allows for breaking distance when used with the correct timing.

Ayub

#174885 - 08/09/05 06:16 AM Re: fighting stance: orthodox or south paw?! [Re: Jay Q]
RossKo Offline

Loc: Kent, UK
The way we find our new students fighting stances is to get them to stand up straight with their feet together and arms by their sides "like a soldier" and push them from behind. one of their feet will come forwards to stop them from falling over and this is their "front foot" from now on. Until they have mastered the basics anyway because then they have to start learning to fight in both stances. Usually most people stick their left out first which leaves the stronger right side for the cross etc but I just opened up a new club and 16 out of 24 people went right first - freaky!

#174886 - 08/09/05 01:04 PM Re: fighting stance: orthodox or south paw?! [Re: RossKo]
Jay Q Offline

thanks for the very enlightening input from all. After experimenting with switching stances at my last sparring session I have to say that switching to right lead was much more effective. I could flash my jab quicker and it was stronger than my left. Consequently I could bridge the distance better bc that side is faster. Also my right leg was more effective as a "cutting" kick to keep my opponent at a distance, or to throw a low thai kick.

of course the low thai kick from the lead is not as powerful as from the rear, but it keeps my opponent thinking twice about advancing.

Nevertheless, I agree with what has been said here that being able to switch back and forth is invaluable. But after experimenting and using my right lead more I regret not trying it sooner.

Lesson here: don't get stuck in old training habits. Always be open to learning and improving!

Osu!
JQ

#174887 - 08/09/05 01:05 PM Re: fighting stance: orthodox or south paw?! [Re: RossKo]
funstick5000 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: West Yorkshire, England
Quote:

The way we find our new students fighting stances is to get them to stand up straight with their feet together and arms by their sides "like a soldier" and push them from behind. one of their feet will come forwards to stop them from falling over and this is their "front foot" from now on. Until they have mastered the basics anyway because then they have to start learning to fight in both stances. Usually most people stick their left out first which leaves the stronger right side for the cross etc but I just opened up a new club and 16 out of 24 people went right first - freaky!

it would be better if most dojos did this, would have made my karate a lot more comfortable having my right foot forwards instead of my left. i used to have right forwards in sparring anyway as we got to chose our stance.

#174888 - 08/14/05 06:18 PM Re: fighting stance: orthodox or south paw?! [Re: funstick5000]
RossKo Offline

Loc: Kent, UK
I know what you mean. I have studied how other styles train and whilst I will never slate another style for training differently as they all have their strengths I personnally feel that most people would benifit from being tested this or any other similar way. Though I think (please correct me if I'm wrong) that be the time we progress through the ranks to black belt level or equivalent that we are capable of ambidexterous profeciency. Though my left foot forward will always be my best side!

#174889 - 08/14/05 07:52 PM Re: fighting stance: orthodox or south paw?! [Re: RossKo]
JKogas Offline
Prolific

Loc: North Carolina
Whatever lead you choose is irrelevent. Just pick one and stay with it because it takes quite a while to develop skill.

-John

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Cord, JKogas, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga