FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 45 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
ksusanc, kellypnik123, leyinn, Ron_Cooley, businns
22902 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 12
cxt 7
trevek 6
JKogas 5
TaekwonDoFan 2
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/14/14 10:49 PM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/11/14 03:36 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
10 San Sik drills-Wing Chun's foundation
by futsaowingchun
06/30/14 11:20 AM
"Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2" the movies.
by TaekwonDoFan
06/30/14 11:02 AM
Iaido movements speed
by TooNice
04/14/14 01:47 PM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
12/30/13 08:32 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Prizewriter
04/16/12 02:48 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
04/12/12 11:16 AM
Recent Posts
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by cxt
Yesterday at 11:35 AM
centerline concepts
by Dobbersky
07/18/14 06:14 AM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/14/14 04:50 PM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:38 AM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:35 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
07/09/14 06:13 AM
Throwing
by JKogas
07/03/14 07:40 PM
10 San Sik drills-Wing Chun's foundation
by futsaowingchun
06/30/14 11:20 AM
"Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2" the movies.
by TaekwonDoFan
06/30/14 11:02 AM
Forget all that health stuff
by TaekwonDoFan
06/29/14 03:18 AM
Forum Stats
22902 Members
36 Forums
35563 Topics
432450 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#174844 - 09/28/05 07:34 AM Re: Hello [Re: Panther]
RazorFoot Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Seated at the computer, DUH
Panther,
If you wish to post here to introduce a topic, ask a question, or find information, that is fine. This is not a site to advertise for a school, system, or individual. Please refrain from stating a style is "best". There is no such thing as a best style for everyone. Whatever works for the individual is the best style for that individual.

#174845 - 02/14/08 04:21 PM Re: Hello [Re: Panther]
Dannyl_K Offline

I take shou shu as well, and it irritates me that so many people bash the art in there forums just because of what they read on "wikipedia" or some other website.

"oh it doesn't have a consistant history"
"oh why do they have belts if its kung fu"

Is that really so important to you? When you explain your art thats usually not the first thing you talk about, its what you learn.

Try it, I find it to be very, very effective and all the concepts of why we do what we do makes sense.

I'll never judge your art till I've tried it, and even then if its not for me I won't bash it because you do something different - I just won't study in that art. Fair is fair

Stop the bashing (noting: kung fu magazine forums, bullshio forums, to name some)

#174846 - 06/10/09 02:33 AM Re: Sho Shu Kung Fu [Re: BulldogTKD]
She_Hing_Ward Offline
Stranger

I have been studying this art for quite some time off and on and I am also a Asst Teacher (Red Belt). I tried a few other arts early on when I was in High School but ended up taking Shou Shu. Since then I have been to Iraq and back and was on a Special Ops team. I have had to use this in real life combat situations and it worked great. Im still here and that is what counts to me. I really love this art and will continue to study it. I believe any martial arts back ground is better then none so if it is not in your area then my only advice is to find an art that can be used in Real life situations and not just for scoring points in a competition.

Have a good one

#174847 - 06/10/09 02:01 PM Re: Hello [Re: Dannyl_K]
Ames Offline
Veteran

mantis said:

Quote:

but it is very effective you just need to wade through the bs it is effective and just like every other art claims to be the"deadliest and most effective"it is good stuff though.

Why are so many people willing to 'wade through the b.s.'? I hear this often, but still can't figure it out. It's as though some assume that in order to study martial arts, there must be a large amount of accompanying b.s. This is simply not so. Go find a place that is actually able to stand on their own, without having to concoct a false history, or that doesn't try to string you along (to make more money) with all kinds of b.s. teachings. Especially stay clear of places that make gradiose promises as to the deadliness you will acheive once you have paid thousands of dollars to get to blackbelt level.

Dannyl said:
Quote:

I take shou shu as well, and it irritates me that so many people bash the art in there forums just because of what they read on "wikipedia" or some other website.

"oh it doesn't have a consistant history"
"oh why do they have belts if its kung fu"

Is that really so important to you? When you explain your art thats usually not the first thing you talk about, its what you learn.

Hear's what irritates me. What irritates me is when people attempt to subvert the fact that their teacher is a liar, that the system they teach is not what they say it is, and who are doing this primarily for cash, come on to forums and simply say "Oh that's not important, what's important is what you learn".

And what have you learned exactly? A b.s. history, along with techniques that may or may not be functional? Well, way to go. Tell me, if what is so important in this system is the validity of the techniques, then exactly where have these been tested in a fully resistive environment. Please provide actual evidence, because as it stands, I won't take as evidence empty words, because you're teacher has been shown to be a liar, so I distrust whatever he has to say.

Sorry if I seem harsh, but I'm getting a little tired lately of, whenever an art is shown in a poor light, suddenly 'students' materialize out of the blue, offering empty platitudes, and writing posts that amount to nothing more than advertising.

Quote:

Try it, I find it to be very, very effective and all the concepts of why we do what we do makes sense.

Okay...and what are those 'concepts' exactly? Why can't I learn them somewhere else that is not predicated on lies and misinformation?

Quote:

I'll never judge your art till I've tried it, and even then if its not for me I won't bash it because you do something different - I just won't study in that art. Fair is fair

Utter nonsense. Sorry this forum allows free speech. No one is bashing you're art. What is happening is folks are suggesting that you're art has a lot b.s. associated with it, and you have not attempted to clarify that at all.

Quote:

Stop the bashing (noting: kung fu magazine forums, bullshio forums, to name some)

Offer up some specific evidence/ points as to why the negative points raised regarding your art are incorrent, and the 'bashing' will stop. Till then, expect thinking people to call b.s. when they see it, and especially expect those who actually care about the state of the martial arts in 25 years time to attempt to counter this b.s. in public forums such as this one.

--Chris

#174848 - 06/18/09 02:55 PM Re: Hello [Re: Ames]
She_Hing_Ward Offline
Stranger

Good Morning,

I did offer some information of the effectiveness of the art and as I stated I have used Shou Shu in real life combat situations both involving weapons and no weapons. I used it exactly the way I was taught to use it and that is in close mainly hand to hand combat without going to the ground. If you have been involved in real life or death combat situations you know that going to the ground is the last place you want to be unless under fire. Most of my combat situations lasted between 3 to 6 seconds only because of breaking bones and fighting dirty if you will. That is my true life experience with the art of Shou Shu.

#174849 - 06/18/09 11:33 PM Re: Hello [Re: She_Hing_Ward]
Ames Offline
Veteran

Quote:

If you have been involved in real life or death combat situations you know that going to the ground is the last place you want to be unless under fire.

If you have been involved in a real life fight, you'll know that going to the ground is not always a choice.

#174850 - 06/21/09 04:02 AM Re: Hello [Re: Ames]
She_Hing_Ward Offline
Stranger

I do agree with you on that and Im sorry if I was not clear on what I was saying. What I was getting at is you do not want to stay on the ground for a long period of time.

I was really just trying to say that I have studied Shou Shu and I have used it in Real Life Combat situations on a Non-Compliant Boarding team in the U.S. Coast Guard in Iraq and the art it self does work.

Just wanted to voice my experiences with the art. I was not trying to say that ground fighting techniques should not be taught because like you said in some situations it is not an option.

#174851 - 06/21/09 07:24 PM Re: Hello [Re: She_Hing_Ward]
IExcalibui2 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New York City
I think the main thing here is that people aren't saying "it doesnt work" but asking more about what the art is about. Saying that a martial art is fight effective doesnt give people a look at what the art is about. We're talking about details about the kind of principles & theories can be found in the art. Maybe a little history to help support these principles and theories. etc etc etc

ex/ BJJ is a grappling art that focuses heavily on ground fighting submissions with lots of practice with you work from guard position, while other arts perform these submissions without the ground aspect. Keeping the opponent close while on the ground to minimize the opponent's strength and reach. Much of the techniques are taught with the principle that a smaller/weaker person can defend themselves from a larger/stronger person. etc etc etc etc

ex/ Hung Gar focuses heavily on deep strong stances with the idea that if you have strong roots than your strikes & movements will be stronger. As a result, strong hand techniques (with Tiger getting special treatment) are also emphasized. etc etc

so far there hasnt been any say about what goes on in the art, except that its combat oriented (which many MAs are) and that its effective in the field (again which are applicable to just about ALL MAs). And you wonder why people are skeptical...

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Cord, Gavin, JasonM, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga