FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 37 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
mohdnabeel, sunny, swordy, jerrybarry24, SenseiGregT
22915 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Ed_Morris 4
AndyLA 3
Zombie Zero 2
Matakiant 2
futsaowingchun 2
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
New Topics
STX Kickboxing Seminar
by Marcus Charles
09/09/14 06:57 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
09/01/14 03:51 AM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
mindfullness meditation
by
01/06/09 11:27 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by
05/13/07 08:02 AM
Eugue Ryu
by
03/27/07 12:06 AM
Recent Posts
attacked from behind
by AndyLA
09/19/14 09:05 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Matakiant
09/18/14 07:11 AM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
09/18/14 06:07 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Zombie Zero
09/16/14 04:43 PM
Eugue Ryu
by kolslaw
09/12/14 03:35 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
09/01/14 03:51 AM
mindfullness meditation
by log1call
08/31/14 09:43 PM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
Forum Stats
22915 Members
36 Forums
35575 Topics
432495 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#174103 - 08/01/05 04:37 PM Is this a McDojo quality black belt test?
Leonine Offline

Hi, I've pretty much just joined the forums, and I've been reading up on McDojo's. My school seems to have some qualities of a McDojo (thanks to new ownership *grumble*) which are corrupting the lower belts and making their average quality lower. Anyway, all the tests have been made easier to pass, except the black belt test, so I'm wondering if it's that it will already churn out black belts or if there still has to be some kind of quality. Anyway, here goes:

-Write a book detailing all you've learned, including techniques, revelations, forms, etc. Winds up being about 200 pages.
And then the test:
-30 minutes of meditation
-review of all hand technique
-review of all foot technique
-review of cha ryuk sool (mental focusing power)
-review of all forms
-review of yoga
-review of ho shin sool, go jung sool, and jo ruugi sool
-review of nap bup sool (10 feet across, 5 feet high)
-reivew of self-defense against the knife, cqc, stick and gun
At this point a 2 minute rest is given
(3 matches of each)
-review of kickboxing
-review of throwing
-review of wrestling
-review of sport jujitsu
-2 on 1 fighting
-5 breaks
-review of terminology, including the biography of our founder

I think that's it, it takes about 7 hours. I've never seen any other black belt testing so I don't know how to compare this. Easy, hard, or what?

#174104 - 08/01/05 04:51 PM Re: Is this a McDojo quality black belt test? [Re: Leonine]
Leo_E_49 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: California
That's way tougher than what I did, don't worry.

You do yoga???

#174105 - 08/01/05 04:54 PM Re: Is this a McDojo quality black belt test? [Re: Leo_E_49]
Leonine Offline

Ah, good. Yep, Yoga is great for wrestling and strengthening your core, which is good for not necessarily kicking high, but being able to torque your midsection into the kicks.

#174106 - 08/01/05 08:16 PM Re: Is this a McDojo quality black belt test? [Re: Leonine]
hedkikr Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Southern California, USA
Meditation, Yoga, Throwing, Wrestling, Sport Jiujitsu. So why is it called TKD?

Different people have different opinions re: BB tests. Some believe that it should be a gruling event (show what you're made of) while others believe that it's a formality instructor should already know what you're made of). 6 of one, half-dozen of the other.

My only other question is why the 200 pg book & not a simple essay? Is the instructor looking for material for his website or is he writing his own book (needs material)?

#174107 - 08/01/05 08:21 PM Re: Is this a McDojo quality black belt test? [Re: Leonine]
Christie Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Waterloo, ON
What exactly are you training in? That seems like a little bit of everything and mastery of nothing to me.

And the 200 page book.. what is that for? What exactly happens to them? And you can't possibly believe that your instructor sits down and reads through every single one word for word.

I think black belt tests are formalities not a test of how you perform when completely and phyiscally exhausted. The instructor should already know if you are a worthy black belt before you test. That is after all the reason why you were invited to test in the first place.

Not so sure about McDojo and not so sure what you are training in.

#174108 - 08/01/05 08:56 PM Re: Is this a McDojo quality black belt test? [Re: Leonine]
Kintama Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Massachusetts
As far as an endurance test, it sounds fantastic. I do have questions: do you have a website link or a dojo name?
Is the test in that order?
I'm trying to imagine what a 30 minute meditation test looks like and how someone might possibly 'fail'. if they scratch their nose or fall asleep or something? The sensei giving the test is going to sit there and watch a person meditate for 30 min?
A 200 pg book? so during regular class do you have writing instruction and this tests that instruction? If the physical test is supossedly all you've learned, why require to write about it? strange. (if even true)

a 7 hour test with a 2 minute break huh? now I know you are exagurating.
"Easy, hard, or what?"
I'd say it's Easy to type, Hard to believe and 'or what'.

#174109 - 08/01/05 09:43 PM Re: Is this a McDojo quality black belt test? [Re: Leonine]
ale_ryu Offline

Loc: Corrientes, Argentina
Are you a freakin' shaolin or a Taekwondist?
Congratulations if what you've written is true and you passed the exam, but it's really hard to believe, and I agree with Kintama, what's all that writing for? And how do they test your meditation skills?
Another thing I don't get is why you do Yoga, kick boxing, and jiujitsu in a taekwondo dojo, Taekwondo has it's own grappling techniques and it's own sparring rules, makes no sense to me at all...
I suggest the next time you take a belt test make shure there are no hidden cameras around, who knows, maybe while meditating you're being transmitted to a humor themed webpage or something...
Good Luck and Take it easy!

#174110 - 08/02/05 03:54 AM Re: Is this a McDojo quality black belt test? [Re: ale_ryu]
Leonine Offline

I probably should've clarified, but it's not TKD, just our art is derived from TKD with JJ thrown in. The book is for ourselves, a documentation of our martial arts knowledge. It's only really 200 pages because everyone puts pictures in, it's more like 30-50 pages of writing. You can fail meditation by, like you jested, falling asleep. Someone did once, and he failed his black belt testing. I haven't taken it yet, I've only helped out...I take mine in about 6 months. And I'm not exagerating about the break, that is for everyone. While the examination runs, you get chances to rest while others go to perform their techniques, so you get breaks during then.

#174111 - 08/02/05 12:32 PM Re: Is this a McDojo quality black belt test? [Re: Leonine]
Christie Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Waterloo, ON
Quote:

The book is for ourselves, a documentation of our martial arts knowledge. It's only really 200 pages because everyone puts pictures in, it's more like 30-50 pages of writing.

Same concept as a training journal I would supose.

Quote:

You can fail meditation by, like you jested, falling asleep. Someone did once, and he failed his black belt testing.

That would suck but what is the purpose of testings ons meditation skills?

Quote:

I haven't taken it yet, I've only helped out...I take mine in about 6 months.

Good luck when you do

Quote:

And I'm not exagerating about the break, that is for everyone. While the examination runs, you get chances to rest while others go to perform their techniques, so you get breaks during then.

That I can believe because the black belt test at my "school year" dojang runs for about 5 hours and there are also no breaks but you get unofficial ones when others are doing their techniques.

#174112 - 08/02/05 12:53 PM Re: Is this a McDojo quality black belt test? [Re: Christie]
Leo_E_49 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: California
When I became a BB there was no fuss at all (I graded for poom belt 2 years before). My instructor just said, "Go put this on and start the class". After which I started teaching.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga