FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 43 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
BUJU, Pilsungkarate, ALF, old1, Leonar
22928 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Ronin1966 3
futsaowingchun 2
ergees 2
GojuRyuboy13 2
AndyLA 1
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
I spy kata bunkai..
by GojuRyuboy13
10/29/14 08:28 AM
Judo 2014 World Championships Juniors: The Gallery
by ergees
10/25/14 04:53 PM
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by Leo_E_49
01/24/12 02:58 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by
05/13/07 08:02 AM
Recent Posts
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/29/14 10:01 PM
I spy kata bunkai..
by GojuRyuboy13
10/29/14 08:28 AM
Judo 2014 World Championships Juniors: The Gallery
by ergees
10/25/14 04:53 PM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
10/22/14 07:20 AM
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by swordy
10/11/14 09:21 AM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ronin1966
10/08/14 09:22 PM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by AndyLA
10/04/14 10:20 AM
Forum Stats
22928 Members
36 Forums
35584 Topics
432513 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#173420 - 08/01/05 01:35 PM Re: How much should you train? [Re: SANCHIN31]
Alejandro Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Las Cruces, NM USA
I always say that 15 minutes of focused training is far more productive than 2 hours of haphazard training. Even Funakoshi Gichin said that a half-hour of consistent training every day will yield results. Quality AND consistency are far more important than quantity. Consistent physical training combined with zazen (if you so choose) and other mental exercises, and academic study result in a well rounded warrior!

#173421 - 08/03/05 05:27 PM Re: How much should you train? [Re: SANCHIN31]
elmcityslim Offline

Loc: new haven, CT, USA
Most of you are luckier.

Its easier when you train as a kid and need to cut back as an adult.

Im 21 and just started training a few months back. Life has allready cought up with me. Splitting my time between my music, school, work, family and friends has been difficult. It will prove even more difficult when college starts up. The best method I found is to sacrafice and make all 5 classes a week. I hardly have time to practice, lift or run at home. But as long as I make the class, I feel thats sufficent untill I can manage my time better.

This still discourages me though. I feel like I am ripping myself off.

Edited by elmcityslim (08/03/05 05:28 PM)

#173422 - 08/04/05 05:56 PM Re: How much should you train? [Re: elmcityslim]
1973 Offline

You might be happier with your training if you did 2-3 classes per week and spent that remaining time working/training on what you learned.As mentioned quality over quantity. Learn a few things well and have time to practice instead of just blasting through class after class and maybe not getting the quality you obviously desire. Ask your instructor their thoughts. Although class time is technically training, I've always been of the opinion that class was where you got your information and education and do enough repetitions to be able to go home and do it as correctly as possible. Then the real training began when you went home and practiced countless repetitions or whatever you can manage time wise. I realize some schools do many repetitions of just a few techniques per class, so I guess it depends on the school. Just a thought. As far as the original question: What works for me is 4-5 days per week, but after any extra harder than normal physical workout I will do better(physically & technically) with 2 days off before the next session rather than one day off

#173423 - 08/11/05 10:01 AM Re: How much should you train? [Re: SANCHIN31]
MAGon Offline
Veteran

Loc: Miami, Fl.
Hi, guy! Allow me to echo what's been said: Your dedication is truly inspirational. So is your spirit, the "I'll defeat this beast" courage you're demonstrating, without bragging.
As to specifics, I'm just now easing back into training after a 2 mos. absence (Quality time with my daughter during summer vacation. More on this below). But my normal routine is Karate 3 X 1 hrs./wk., Kenjutsu 2 X 1 1/2 hrs./wk., lifting 4 sessions/wk. I'll intersperse bag work at a kickboxing gym whose owner is a friend as often as time allows. When time is short, I'll pound on ole BoB at home. So I sort of mix in butterfly's and crash's concepts of scheduled, consistent training with catch-as-can when time's short.
That said, those of us that're into this for life sometimes tend to over do it, as if we still live in a world where you can be challenged to a sword fight just by leaving your house! I'm not blind to the violence in the news, but let's keep it in perspective! There ain't a Jason waiting behind every light pole! It took me a while to figure that out as I got older and life made it's demands. Nowadays, though, work and emotional "self- defense" trumps the MAs for me, and if I have to miss practice, so be it! Martial artist is just one hat we wear!

#173424 - 08/11/05 10:26 AM Re: How much should you train? [Re: Alejandro]
harlan Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Amherst, MA
Good to know. Between 2 jobs, 18 hr days, 6 days at work and family committments...my practice is limited to a daily 1/2 - hr lunch period. I refuse to get less than 6 hrs sleep, and despite my teacher's encouragement I refuse to try to sneak in 'kung li' exercises on a 15 minute break.
My coworkers think I am crazy as it is...they don't need a show.

Quote:

I always say that 15 minutes of focused training is far more productive than 2 hours of haphazard training. Even Funakoshi Gichin said that a half-hour of consistent training every day will yield results. Quality AND consistency are far more important than quantity. Consistent physical training combined with zazen (if you so choose) and other mental exercises, and academic study result in a well rounded warrior!

Edited by harlan (08/11/05 10:30 AM)

#173425 - 08/11/05 11:00 AM Re: How much should you train? [Re: harlan]
Gavin Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Southend, Essex, UK
At the moment I have 4 x 1 1/2 hours lessons and I try and usually squeze a couple more sessions at home usually cycle about twice a week too. Trouble is I spend about 20 hours a week commuting to work, but we've just had it confirmed that we'll be moving the office to my home town 5 mins from my house! With my new training room hopefully finished next month, guess where most of those extra 20 hours is going to be spent!

#173426 - 08/15/05 02:55 PM Re: How much should you train? [Re: Gavin]
PierrePressure Offline

I go to class about 3-4x a week, and try to practice at least 2x for 1 1/2 hr. when at home, but sometimes I'll substitute that time with getting together with my friend (who is the same belt rank as I am and attends the same school) and practicing for like 2-3 hours at a time (which is fun!). But I also just randomly throw techniques while I'm at home. It forces you to have great control when you're joking around and pretending that your family members are punching bags!

One of the best black belts in my school says she only trains for 30 min. (although I could have heard that totally wrong. I just remember being floored when she told me her answer). Either she has a schedule where she only works certain things one day, or maybe she just does the technique once and does it with complete focus, concentration, and skill to firmly engrain it into her brain. I dunno. Maybe I just totally misheard her .

I've realized that the best way to shorten my time spent training is when I train at home, to have my right leg back one day, then my left leg back the next, and so on. That way, I'll be proficient in my technique no matter which leg is forward when I'm fighting, and I don't have to work both legs (which is time consuming). It really helps alot. Well, for now, anyway .

#173427 - 08/15/05 04:04 PM Re: How much should you train? [Re: Alejandro]
schanne Offline
breaks things

Loc: Woodbury NJ
As much as you can, as time goes on you will fall into a rythm of training and your body will dictate how much you train. One of the most important aspect of karate is not just training technique but "living the life". Read as much as possible on this subject.

#173428 - 08/16/05 03:21 PM Re: How much should you train? [Re: SANCHIN31]
Talimas Offline

Loc: Cleveland, Ohio
I train 10-12 hours in class a week, 30 mins-2 hours at home each day (generally 30 mins but sometimes weekends yield well, and tend to randomly throw techniques all day during work and at home.

Most of my friends think Im nuts, because I am constantly kicking at air or using someone as a target (fiance works well since she will kill me if I miss and hit her). Lucky for me I am in IT by trade and have to frequently walk between three buildings, which gives me a good chance to throw simple reverse punches and back fists while dodging big brother.

Although sometimes work forces me to take a full week or two away from formal training, we have a few katas that fit very well inside a hotel room.

Personally I feel you train as much as you are unhappy with your technique, I am a perfectionist and tend not to care how strange people look at me, therefore will find any spare moment to throw in techniques while attempting to keep a social life.

#173429 - 08/22/05 08:31 PM Re: How much should you train? [Re: Christie]
Shotokan_Nut Offline

Loc: Liverpool, England
Im doin 1 lesson a week in shotokan but i practice throughout the day. 5 mins here, 10 there, it all adds up. I also think its good to perform all the kata you know 2 times slowly before you go to bed because it relaxes you.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, MattJ, Reiki, Ronin1966 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga