FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 30 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
old1, Leonar, ManLar, Vimido, raya
22925 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
futsaowingchun 3
Ronin1966 3
GojuRyuboy13 2
ergees 1
swordy 1
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by Leo_E_49
01/24/12 02:58 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by
05/13/07 08:02 AM
Recent Posts
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
10/22/14 07:20 AM
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by swordy
10/11/14 09:21 AM
The Karate punch
by Ronin1966
10/09/14 03:16 PM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ronin1966
10/08/14 09:22 PM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by AndyLA
10/04/14 10:20 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Forum Stats
22925 Members
36 Forums
35582 Topics
432510 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 3 of 14 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 13 14 >
Topic Options
#172732 - 12/01/05 11:37 PM Re: A post for those who might become martial arti [Re: Leo_E_49]
Taison Offline
The Forum Dragon
Professional Poster

Loc: BKK, Thailand
This may be a little to late but I just read it
So in Singlish [English + Singaporean]:
"This is a good post lah".

From your neighbour a block away. [You know, we got Malaysia inbetween us, but that doesn't stop us being neighbours.]

-Taison out

#172733 - 12/03/05 12:06 PM Re: A post for those who might become martial arti [Re: Taison]
Leo_E_49 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: California
Haha thanks!

#172734 - 12/05/05 11:16 PM Re: A post for those who might become martial arti [Re: Taison]
Taison Offline
The Forum Dragon
Professional Poster

Loc: BKK, Thailand
Quote:

"This is a good post lah".

Re-phrase:

"wah lao! Good post lah"

-Taison out

#172735 - 12/16/05 12:29 PM Re: A post for those who might become martial arti [Re: Polarhound]
kronin Offline

Loc: Costa Rica
Quote:

Quote:

Due to recent developments I'm going to make an ammendment to my original post.

For all of you there who are thinking of creating a new martial art. Martial arts are not created by any one person. Of course there is an instigator of a certain martial art, a founder perhaps. However, over generations arts develop by having to stand up to the scrutiny of the artists. These many martial artists create the art, not just one person.

This point was once described to me in a slightly different manner:

Ancient martial arts thrived because they work. If a technique did not work, it was not passed on from generation to generation. As well, if the technique did not work, the practictioners were often dead as a result.

Starting a new art that will be accepted by many is very difficult nowadays. I havenīt tried it, but I have had a very unorthodox history with martial arts. I got a black belt in Shurinryu from someone who studied in the service, which many people are just hearing about today in the U.S. anyway. I did most of my study one on one. Once you do that itīs hard to go back to a school, because the school is usually just too slow--unfortunately. People in schools can afford to be more sloppy too. As a result of lack of satisfaction with schools, since then I have learned through very long workshops, through videos, and through some classes. When I was young there wasnīt any such thing as distance learning of martial arts and things like that. Now the stuff is amazing. You can learn forms and self defense techniques and then go and show them to the head instructor and practice and correct them and then you have it. I find this fascinating. When I started MA I started at the Y, of course, with Tae Kwando. Everything was secret back then. You couldnīt learn anything. Now everything is open for the person who has the discipline and tenacity to learn it. If anyone wants to do MA for their health, a spiritual discipline or just to learn to defend themselves, the door is open even if they canīt afford the high prices.

#172736 - 01/01/06 04:29 PM A post for those who might become martial artists. [Re: Leo_E_49]
Ronin1966 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: East Coast, United States
Hello Leo:

Congradulations on your accomplishment! (1000 posts... wow)

I would like to offer two minor clarifications to your thoughts if I might.

With regard to uniforms, they are functional for several reasons. They make no disticntion between gender, or ones financial status (or lack). Everyone is wearing the identical canvas material, satin material whatever the case might be. In that way everyone is equalized. In that manner uniforms are of value.

Secondly, one aspect of training which some have difficulty clarifying, is the question of "why" they wish to train. For some indeed, it is a simple question of perception/fear. Whether either have objective validity might perhaps be a very different question.

I propose one thing (regardless of ones disposition/predisposition towards combat, fighting) would be the issue of drawing our boundries. I contend that regardless of our goals, whether known or otherwise... I contend that as a direct and specific product of training, all of us learn how to ~draw the lines in the sand~. Whatever realm that might be physical, emotional whatever the case because we learn how to physically assert ourselves, protect oneself against our training partners... how difficult are the outside world challenges compairatively?

Jeff

#172737 - 01/19/06 01:53 PM Re: A post for those who might become martial artists. [Re: Leo_E_49]
roniwankan Offline

Loc: Brazil, Goias
It is quite late for me, but: Congratulations!!!
Hard mind work you did!

#172738 - 01/19/06 04:53 PM Re: A post for those who might become martial artists. [Re: Leo_E_49]
jonnyblade Offline

Loc: allover canada
That was one of the most intelligent posts I have seen in a long time. Never waste your money on a DVD that shows you all the "secrets", a school that wants to charge you all kinds of fees for belts, starter kits etc.

Another point I would like to add for students intrested in working out, never buy "stacks" from the bodybuilding shop, or the new "wonder supplement", 99% of the time it is all garbage. I stand by protein and only protein. It is the only thing you need when you eat right, and eating is the most important part. I started training young, I wish I could get the thousands I spent back now.
Good Luck

Edited by JoelM (01/19/06 10:51 PM)

#172739 - 04/25/06 07:07 PM Re: A post for those who might become martial artists. [Re: Leo_E_49]
EL_MARIACHI Offline

Loc: ILLINOIS
Great info! Well done!

#172740 - 05/27/06 09:38 PM Re: A post for those who might become martial artists. [Re: Leo_E_49]
crescentkick Offline

Loc: Waverly, Tn, U.S.A

Thanks.Great info. I am probably as green as they come. I have always been interested in the MA, but just recently decided to take a course. I did the reserch and found what you were talking about. High prices and blackbelt factories.I setteled on the only teacher in my town. The others I was reserching was 25-65 miles away.I took my first free lesson last night, have one more tuesday night, and then I am going to join. I was immediatly hooked. I chose Tang Soo Do. And I have to say, even though I am VERY sore today, I had a blast. My instructor has the patience of Job.Very kind man.
I'll let you know how it goes and how I progress.

#172741 - 09/23/06 01:30 PM Re: A post for those who might become martial artists. [Re: crescentkick]
kempo_jujitsu Offline
Veteran

Loc: illinois, usa
very nice post. i'd like to add one thing to it. well maybe two.
1 ..dont be in a hurry to get anywhere, just enjoy the ride, relax, and you'll probably find yourself learning faster than you thought.
2..even in a sport art, dont concentrate solely on being better than other people, concentrate instead on improving yourself at all times. in this, you will always succeed. but nothing can ever guarantee you will win a fight, or a tournament. and the better you are, the more you improve yourself, your timing, your technique, your understanding...wins will come more naturally.
thanks

Page 3 of 14 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 13 14 >

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga