FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 29 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TomRosenberg, jessylin, play, Keith_G, LeroyCFischer
22937 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
jwwmantis 2
Zombie Zero 1
harlan 1
Beefcake 1
LeroyCFischer 1
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
New Topics
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
Yesterday at 09:40 PM
2015 Master Yang Jwing-Ming Seminar
by jwwmantis
12/05/14 10:36 PM
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by
12/27/06 11:43 AM
Your true goal
by
03/03/06 07:16 AM
Recent Posts
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
Yesterday at 09:40 PM
Your true goal
by Beefcake
12/11/14 02:44 AM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by LeroyCFischer
12/04/14 02:07 AM
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Forum Stats
22937 Members
36 Forums
35591 Topics
432526 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 5 of 14 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 13 14 >
Topic Options
#172752 - 12/05/06 10:48 AM Re: A post for those who might become martial arti [Re: ddoa01]
Leo_E_49 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: California
Always good to hear when people appreciate good advice.

#172753 - 01/14/07 09:15 AM Re: A post for those who might become martial arti [Re: Leo_E_49]
Boxer99 Offline

Loc: NC
I'm new to the forum- this is a great site !
I am 27 years old and I am looking to study martial arts.
I did study Takewando about 12 years ago for about a year and half. I'm just not sure what art I want to learn now. This time around I want to attempt to master the art as much as I can, so I'm being extremely picky with my choices. I am hoping to hear some sound advice/recommendations based on my interests from people a lot more educated in the arts then me . My main objective is to learn this for defense/counter measures. I am looking for a style that is dangerously fierce. I hope to never get in another fight in my lifetime, but if i do I need to be able to defend accordingly. I loved performing Helicopter kicks in my younger days, but in reality they can rarely be used. I like performing striking moves, and I do not prefer to take things to the ground. I know thats were most things take place, but I dont want to train daily for that.

I am looking for a style that focuses on defense and counters
I am looking for a style with quick/ effective striking

I'm not looking for a spiritual or philological experience.
( although that usually does comes with the territory)

I'm not looking for something with excessive grappling/ wrestling or submission. If things go down... I prefer the ground and pound approach over a submission.

I was thinking about Aikido or Judo.
Kickboxing seems right up my alley , but the only places I have seen in my area tend to be more of an exercise class then a martial art.

Any advice or suggestions would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks guys !

#172754 - 01/14/07 11:15 AM Re: A post for those who might become martial arti [Re: Boxer99]
Leo_E_49 Offline
Professional Poster

It sounds like you should look into studying Muay Thai if those are your objectives. Try PMing Taison about it, he's the expert.

#172755 - 03/27/07 03:35 AM Re: A post for those who might become martial arti [Re: Boxer99]
JimmySmith Offline

Loc: Australia
Quote:

I am looking for a style that focuses on defense and counters
I am looking for a style with quick/ effective striking

I'm not looking for a spiritual or philological experience.
I'm not looking for something with excessive grappling/ wrestling or submission. If things go down... I prefer the ground and pound approach over a submission.

I was thinking about Aikido or Judo.
Kickboxing seems right up my alley , but the only places I have seen in my area tend to be more of an exercise class then a martial art.

Spot on to know what you're looking for! No offense against Aikido or Judo, both I have a lot of respect for and would like to delve into at some point, but if you're looking for less submission and more striking they're not renound for this. Muay Thai is still gonna make you exercise, I did this for all of 6 months and then gave it the flick for that very reason. If you can find a mixed martial art or derivative of something like Tai Tong long you should be in the right direction- a.)Not fancy on the kicks (actually looks pretty ugly, but flows well, extremely fast, hurts like hell), great from inside, teaches effectiveness as a base principle (Tries to keep down on posturing and get more hits for less movement)B.)Doesn't focus on grappling or submission. As an asside here-> Good luck finding anywhere that doesn't focus on excercising, from a teacher's perspective, people tend to expect to come to class, exercise for half the time, line up in rows and punch at thin air and go home, heck if I taught like that I could drag out the core principles for at least 10-15 years without any real complaints.

#172756 - 06/27/07 04:46 PM Re: A post for those who might become martial arti [Re: JimmySmith]
Helen2005 Offline

Loc: Arkansas
I'm new to all of this also. I haven't even bought my gear yet. I'm still in the thinking and planning stage. I really want to learn Muay Thai, especially after watching Fight Girls and doing a lot of research online. The problem is I'm not sure I would like it and I understand the whole idea behind trying out a free lesson at a school, but I'm not really ready for that. Would it be feasible for me to start out using kickboxing videos just for getting in shape and getting a feel for it and then going to a school later once I know that's what I want to do?

#172757 - 06/28/07 11:21 AM Re: A post for those who might become martial arti [Re: Helen2005]
Leo_E_49 Offline
Professional Poster

Well, if it's just for fitness, I guess you could use your videos. One thing I can tell you though, your future instructor is going to find it a real pain in the butt helping you unlearn the poor technique you'll have learned in those videos. Best to just join the real thing straight off and see how you like it.

#172758 - 06/28/07 12:02 PM Re: A post for those who might become martial arti [Re: Helen2005]
oldman Offline
Professional Poster

Helen,
There is nothing to fear. You have nothing to lose. Not really ready? Ready for what? Get off your butt and go have an adventure for gosh sakes. Plunk down a couple hundred dollars for a good gym and gear and go to town.

Which story would you rather be telling in a month...

Story#1

I'm a kickboxer. I got some videos and I practice in my apartment just like the girls on tv...

Or story#2

I saw Fight girls on TV. I don't know what it was about it that I found so compelling but there was something about it. It moved something in me. To be honest it scared me and fascinated me at the same time. I thought to myself if they can do it why can't I?

As I signed up at the muay thai gym my hands were shaking so bad I could barely sign the waiver. I thought to mysel this is crazy. The first week was awful everything hurt and ached. I kept going back. I don't even know why. After a few weeks began to look forward to going. My coach has been great. He knows what he is doing and he is watching out for me. I have even begun to imagine competeing one day. I may not do this forever but I have never felt more alive.

There is more to life than crunchin the numbers and the Doritos.

It's your story to write. The world has enough boring stories. Stop thinking and at start living.

#172759 - 06/28/07 02:50 PM Re: A post for those who might become martial arti [Re: oldman]
Helen2005 Offline

Loc: Arkansas
I completely agree with oldman and leo. I'm mainly doing the videos for fitness because in your original post you said it was better to be in shape. I totally agree with that. I have about 20 lbs. to lose. That's the main reason for the video. That and to get a feel for punching and kicking with a bag. As far as actual technique, I am not relying on the video to teach me that. If I decide this is something I want to do competively or just for fun, then I will find an instructor to teach me that stuff. Thanks for both of your replies and I took your advice to heart.

#172760 - 07/04/07 07:52 PM Re: A post for those who might become martial artists. [Re: horizon]
HiiYa Offline
Stranger

Some excellent tips here!
Worthy of all to take note :-)

#172761 - 08/06/07 02:50 PM Re: A post for those who might become martial arti [Re: Helen2005]
jpoor Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Fairfax, VA
Quote:

I completely agree with oldman and leo. I'm mainly doing the videos for fitness because in your original post you said it was better to be in shape. I totally agree with that. I have about 20 lbs. to lose. That's the main reason for the video. That and to get a feel for punching and kicking with a bag. As far as actual technique, I am not relying on the video to teach me that. If I decide this is something I want to do competively or just for fun, then I will find an instructor to teach me that stuff. Thanks for both of your replies and I took your advice to heart.

The trouble with this is that even though you may not be consciously trying to learn technique, you are still doing just that. You are creating "muscle memory" that will show up in the future unless you are lucky enough to be doing things right magically.

Some day when your future instructor says "you keep doing 'x' rather than what I'm showing you." You will be at the disadvantage of not knowing where the "bad habits are coming from. Compare this to someone who is switching styles and has developed techniques that don't really match the new style. At least this person has knowledge of why he is doing the things he does. That puts them in a better position to make corrections.

Best,
Jim

Page 5 of 14 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 13 14 >

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga