FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 26 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
LeroyCFischer, JadeKing, Beefcake, WesJones, simonajones111
22933 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
charlie 2
futsaowingchun 2
Zombie Zero 1
harlan 1
Matakiant 1
November
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
New Topics
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Siu Lin Tao-3rd section applications
by futsaowingchun
11/13/14 06:48 PM
Screen fighting course UK December 2014
by charlie
11/11/14 04:09 PM
Siu Lin Tao-1st section Pak Sao explanations
by futsaowingchun
11/09/14 10:30 PM
I spy kata bunkai..
by GojuRyuboy13
10/29/14 08:28 AM
Judo 2014 World Championships Juniors: The Gallery
by ergees
10/25/14 04:53 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
MA style video library
by
03/22/06 03:18 PM
Recent Posts
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Siu Lin Tao-3rd section applications
by futsaowingchun
11/13/14 06:48 PM
Screen fighting course UK December 2014
by charlie
11/11/14 04:09 PM
MA style video library
by charlie
11/11/14 04:05 PM
Siu Lin Tao-1st section Pak Sao explanations
by futsaowingchun
11/09/14 10:30 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/29/14 10:01 PM
I spy kata bunkai..
by GojuRyuboy13
10/29/14 08:28 AM
Judo 2014 World Championships Juniors: The Gallery
by ergees
10/25/14 04:53 PM
Forum Stats
22933 Members
36 Forums
35589 Topics
432521 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 7 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#172265 - 08/09/05 12:52 PM Re: Realistic Sword? [Re: cxt]
globetrotter Offline
does unto others before they do unto him

Loc: ny usa
the traditional african weapons of clubs, shields and spears were readily available to people on the ground in rwanda. they chose to arm themselves with the machete - although other farmng tools were also used. and, there were fire arms around, altohugh in smaler numbers.

you do have agood point, that it is very probable that people armed with rifles were supporting people armed with machetes.

http://www.africancraftsmarket.com/africanknob-keire_details.htm

http://www.africancraftsmarket.com/africanZuluspear_details.htm

concerning the numbers killed:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rwandan_Genocide

#172266 - 08/09/05 01:27 PM Re: Realistic Sword? [Re: globetrotter]
cxt Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: USA

Seriously don't mean to be a pain in the neck (or 2/12 feet lower )

But that still makes little sense to me.

In reading the article, it says some groups shot their victems and some hacked them to death with machetes.
So at least some of them used weapons OTHER than machtes to kill.
The one million figure is total death toll--NOT the number killed just with machetes.

Nothing was said about access to "better" weapons (other than firearms and bulldozers)

Still seems to me that folks used what was handy (or possibly for terror reasons the article says "hacked to death" which sounds pretty grusome to me )
Rather than a carefully reasoned choice of the machete as a weapon.

In the absence of other proof, I am sticking with the machete as a weapon usable tool that was easily obtained by the folks involved.

#172267 - 08/09/05 01:49 PM Re: Realistic Sword? [Re: cxt]
globetrotter Offline

I don't have anything that says "four out of five rwandan killers chose a machete over a spear". out of personal knowledge, I know that there were large numbers of spears and wooden clubs available - I have traveled in that part fo the world, and talked with people who were around at that time.

the reason that all of this stuck in my mind was a radion interview I heard with a man who ran a farming impliments store in rwanda at the time who said how amazed he was when the machete sales just shot through the roof in the period jsut before the war stared. his factory had to boast production to meet the rwandan demand.

actually, I can think of a good book that discusses this - try the new book by jared diamond, "collapse" - there is a chapter that discusses the rwandan genocide.

anyway, I am not a sword guy, and I know that you guys take your swords very seriously, but in answer to the origional question, I don't see why a well made machete is any less good a weapon that some of the purpose made swords? depending on how it is to be used.

#172268 - 08/09/05 01:51 PM Re: Realistic Sword? [Re: globetrotter]
glad2bhere Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Lindenhurst, Illinois USA
Dear Globetrotter:

While we do risk getting into semantics, here, I submitt we are playing too fast and loose with language to automatically identify a machete as a sword. Taken by this logic one might designate a hatchet a "tomahawk", a floor broom a "wolf spear" and carpenters' hammer a "cudgeol". For me a sword is a very specific item with a specific intent. If we are going to folow the intent of the thread I think we are doing a dis-service to the original question by automatically including those items which are "sword-like", yes? After all, flipping it over the OTHER way there are items made of plastic and stainless stell actually represented as "swords" that I would not take into a fight on a bet!

Best Wishes,

Bruce

#172269 - 08/09/05 02:11 PM Re: Realistic Sword? [Re: glad2bhere]
globetrotter Offline

ok, ok, I am bowing out of this discussion. I would still suggest that something like this:

http://machete.com/prod01.htm

fits the question as to what the most realistic type of sword would be for the modern world.

or, let me ask this - if you were designing a "sword' for the modern world, to face the possible needs of a modern sword carrier, how would you make it different from this?

#172270 - 08/09/05 02:20 PM Re: Realistic Sword? [Re: globetrotter]
Charles Mahan Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Denton, Tx, USA
I'd turn the handle into a rifle. That's what the military did.

#172271 - 08/09/05 02:31 PM Re: Realistic Sword? [Re: globetrotter]
cxt Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: USA

Globe

Mainly because things do best what they are designed to do.

Machetes make unwieldy swords--they are balanced wrong for much of what a sword is supposed to do.

(there was even a specific weapon very much like a machete, a falcion--blade weighted to the front as to deliver a heavy chopping action--but weighted as it was--my guess is that would be harder to recover the stroke)

Not that you can't use a machete to kill, might be very effecient in that role--but that was not what it was designed to do thus its less effective.

Many machetes are of less good quality metal--easy to sharpen, but little edge holding abilty.
Mine get dull fast and need to be re-sharpened freq.
Metal quality itself is usually poor--which is what you would expect for something used to chop plant matter.

If I need to fight I will grab whatever is handy--many things make good weapons.
If I have a choice I will use the best weapon I can get.

#172272 - 08/09/05 02:45 PM Re: Realistic Sword? [Re: cxt]
globetrotter Offline

cxt,

that is a fair answer, but pardon me if I push a little harder. I agree with you that usually the best tool for a specific job is one that has been made to do that job. but I look at this machete, and it looks, to the untrained eye, like a 19th century cutlass, with the exception of a blood draining canal.

if I were thinking of a modern sword, it would probrably be very similar to a cutlass.

aside from the fact that this was not desiged as a weapon, and that it may be poorly balanced for recovery, and that it does not have a drainage canal, anything here that strikes you as not eing perfect?

I am not doing this just to be a pain, I am curious, and I think this is a valid direction to go in.

#172273 - 08/09/05 02:56 PM Re: Realistic Sword? [Re: globetrotter]
Charles Mahan Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Denton, Tx, USA
Blood draining canal? Could you explain further?

#172274 - 08/09/05 03:12 PM Re: Realistic Sword? [Re: Charles Mahan]
globetrotter Offline

I am sorry, I meant the fuller, which, I just read, had to do with making the blade lighter and stronger, and not, as I was misinformed, allow air into the wound to prevent a vacuum so that a blade could be pulled out of a wound.

Page 7 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Charles Mahan, Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga