FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 42 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Shanktotheright, royal, bobgalle100011, agenonline, TooNice
22862 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
THEFOREVERMAN 3
Dobbersky 2
MattJ 2
royal 2
TooNice 1
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
New Topics
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by Marcus Charles
03/24/14 04:39 PM
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Dobbersky
03/20/14 05:45 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
AKK kata question
by
09/04/05 01:27 PM
Recent Posts
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:22 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:20 AM
AKK kata question
by MattJ
04/04/14 05:45 PM
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Forum Stats
22862 Members
36 Forums
35546 Topics
432378 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 4 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#172235 - 08/04/05 04:34 PM Re: Realistic Sword? [Re: Charles Mahan]
funstick5000 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: West Yorkshire, England
Quote:

What kinda question is that? How can any of us possibly know the answer to that question? There were undoubtedly millions of swordsmen throughout recorded history.

benjamin's post, 2 posts above this one reffered to 'the best swordsman ever who was killed by a farmer' if you'd bothered to have read it properly. i was asking him who he was reffering to, in similar lines to your post but somewhat more politely.

#172236 - 08/04/05 11:37 PM Re: Realistic Sword? [Re: Benjamin1986]
Armed_Man_Piker Offline

Loc: East Coast U.S.A.
Quote:

Never forget that the greatest swordsman alive was killed by a farmer holding a big stick.

Who exactly are you referring to?

Miyamoto Musashi, widely recognized as one of the greatest swordsmen in Asian circles, was defeated (but not killed) by Muso Gonnosuke, who wielded a 4-foot jo.

On the other side of the world (and around the same time), an English sailor named Richard Peeke, who happened to be a rather capable player with the English quarterstaff, used that weapon to defeat 3 Spanish rapier-and-dagger men who attacked him at once. He killed one, and disabled the other two.

A bit earlier (late 16th century), a certain Italian, Rocco Bonetti, was embarrassed by a local waterman in England. Apparently, Bonetti had a disagreement with this fellow, and drew his rapier on him. The waterman replied by wacking Rocco with an oar. Rocco survived this encounter.

The only fellow above recognized as a truly "great" swordsman is Musashi. The Spanish espadachins that Peeke defeated are basically unknown, though one must assume that they were at least competent, since they fought on behalf of the Duke of Medina Sidonia. Rocco Bonetti seems to have been fairly unremarkable; he ran a fencing school for a time in London, but his encounters on the street (with the waterman already mentioned, and a fellow named Austin Bagger) both ended in humiliating defeat.

In any case, I'm most curious to know who you are talking about...

#172237 - 08/04/05 11:54 PM Re: Realistic Sword? [Re: funstick5000]
Charles Mahan Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Denton, Tx, USA
Quote:

Quote:

What kinda question is that? How can any of us possibly know the answer to that question? There were undoubtedly millions of swordsmen throughout recorded history.

benjamin's post, 2 posts above this one reffered to 'the best swordsman ever who was killed by a farmer' if you'd bothered to have read it properly. i was asking him who he was reffering to, in similar lines to your post but somewhat more politely.

Ahh... Ok I was wondering about that. My apologies. It was not clear within your post and I did not connect it to the previous one.

#172238 - 08/05/05 02:49 AM Re: Realistic Sword? [Re: Armed_Man_Piker]
Benjamin1986 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Republic of Texas
I was actually thinking about Musashi, but I couldn't remember his name, or even his country (very little sleep last night). Thanks for the correction, Piker.

Anyway, the point is this: we should always remember to never overestimate our skills, because we all can and will eventually lose.

#172239 - 08/05/05 11:35 AM Re: Realistic Sword? [Re: Benjamin1986]
Charles Mahan Offline
Professional Poster

Muso Gonusuke was hardly a farmer though. He was a very accomplished swordsman in his own right. He faught a duel with Musashi using bokuto and lost. It was this failure that caused him to find a way to defeat Musashi and thus led to the creation of Jodo.

#172240 - 08/05/05 03:11 PM Re: Realistic Sword? [Re: Charles Mahan]
xerxes Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Georgia, USA

Several people have mentioned legal problems with carrying a sword around. All too true. But, what about use of a sword when dealing with a home invasion situation. What are the advantages and disadvantages of a sword compared to a pistol? What kind of sword for combat in the close confines of the average house at night time?

#172241 - 08/05/05 03:39 PM Re: Realistic Sword? [Re: xerxes]
globetrotter Offline
does unto others before they do unto him

Loc: ny usa
I recently read a very good article, which I tried to find now but could't, on home defence with a short sword similar to the machete. it was very positive - the author found it to b an excellent home defence weapon - provided it had point, a choping/slashing side, enough weight to chop with, and wasn't too long.

on the other hand, again, you could get as good results with the right stick, and it would be harder for inintended victims to get hurt.

#172242 - 08/05/05 06:17 PM Re: Realistic Sword? [Re: globetrotter]
glad2bhere Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Lindenhurst, Illinois USA
Oh, well, if you are going to go off in this direction then we are going to need to put some limits to what we are calling swords.

For instance, I don't know if people have seen a certain item out on the MA supply catalogs but it is evidently an aluminum baton except it is hollow and one end comes unscrewed so as to unsheath a short sword from inside. In turn this piece can be screwwed back into the baton to produce a kind of short-handled naginata.

Or are we going to start talking about the ability to carry and use those cheap sword canes......

I thought we were talking about the use of actual "swords". Where exactly is this going? If we are already down to machetes, I don't think it will be too long before we get to cleavers, yes? Thoughts?

Best Wishes,

Bruce

Edited by glad2bhere (08/05/05 06:18 PM)

#172243 - 08/05/05 07:44 PM Re: Realistic Sword? [Re: glad2bhere]
Armed_Man_Piker Offline

Loc: East Coast U.S.A.
Quote:

I thought we were talking about the use of actual "swords". Where exactly is this going? If we are already down to machetes, I don't think it will be too long before we get to cleavers, yes? Thoughts?

Best Wishes,

Bruce

Bruce,

The machete is the agricultural/utilitarian cousin of short swords like the European falchion, the German messer, and the Filipino bolo. Bolos of course figure prominently in many eskrima systems--espada y daga (sword and dagger) is often practiced with a bolo and knife. In Mexico, a method of machete fighting (based on saber fencing), was once practiced. In addition, the Venezualan stick-and-knife art of garote larense also makes use of the machete.

Best,

A_M_P

#172244 - 08/05/05 09:46 PM Re: Realistic Sword? [Re: xerxes]
Charles Mahan Offline
Professional Poster

Quote:

Several people have mentioned legal problems with carrying a sword around. All too true. But, what about use of a sword when dealing with a home invasion situation. What are the advantages and disadvantages of a sword compared to a pistol? What kind of sword for combat in the close confines of the average house at night time?

Do a search for "home defense sword shotgun" This has been covered plenty of times before. Long story short bad idea. Even if you are succesful, you're probably going to jail. Don't ask me to clarify. Search the archives.

Page 4 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Charles Mahan, Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga