FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 34 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
old1, Leonar, ManLar, Vimido, raya
22925 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
futsaowingchun 4
Ronin1966 3
GojuRyuboy13 1
Matakiant 1
cxt 1
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
Yesterday at 10:32 AM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Martial News
by Matakiant
09/23/14 06:42 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by Leo_E_49
01/24/12 02:58 AM
Recent Posts
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
Yesterday at 10:32 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by swordy
10/11/14 09:21 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by cxt
10/10/14 10:08 AM
The Karate punch
by Ronin1966
10/09/14 03:16 PM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ronin1966
10/08/14 09:22 PM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by AndyLA
10/04/14 10:20 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Forum Stats
22925 Members
36 Forums
35582 Topics
432509 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#172215 - 07/29/05 01:41 PM Realistic Sword [Re: pisces590]
Benjamin1986 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Republic of Texas
I have to agree with the others. A sword is impractical as a modern weapon because it cannot be concealed. It would probably scare too many innocent people and not protect you enough against predators.

You might want a barely-legal knife (5-3/8" in Texas) or revolver with a concealed-carry license as a better alternative. A bigger element of suprise, and the cops won't arrest you as well as your mugger.

Edited by Benjamin1986 (07/29/05 01:42 PM)

#172216 - 07/29/05 03:16 PM Re: On the gladius... [Re: glad2bhere]
globetrotter Offline
does unto others before they do unto him

Loc: ny usa
actually, that is a very good weapon - they are small enough to conceal, and heavy enough to chop off a hand or split open a head. they just don't have much reach.

#172217 - 07/30/05 01:13 AM Re: On the gladius... [Re: globetrotter]
glad2bhere Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Lindenhurst, Illinois USA
Still not sure why noone is talking about the Kukris that are used by the Nepalese Gurkhas. These are sound enough to take off a limb and formidible thrusting weapons. I understand that the Gurkhas themselves often train by smearing the handles with animal blood so that the in consistent sometimes sticky/sometimes slippery handling requires them to develop assured eye-hand coordination. There are a number of sources currently that are selling both the larger and the smaller weapon and they can be had for a pretty cheap price. Learning to throw them is actually rather simple given the odd shape. Since they are currently on the market as historical oddities I would go so far as to say that even a minor might be able to purchase one without too many questions asked. Of course you will probably need to GOOGLE for the source most convenient to people here. FWIW.

Best Wishes,

Bruce

#172218 - 07/30/05 06:43 PM On the Kukri [Re: glad2bhere]
Benjamin1986 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Republic of Texas
The kurkri is a nice example of a machete, but far too big for our purposes. Though, it is an excellent example of a forward swept blade, the idea is to have a weapon for defence that won't get you arrested.

The problems with the kukri are twofold: first, it is too big. You would get arrested. Second, it is a blade designed for cutting through things (note: this is speculation, I have no experience with the knife). The path of least resistance for say, a bowie knife, it to draw-cut, to leave the body. The kurkri curves outward, so it cuts deeper. Even if you had one within legal length limits, a prosecutor would likely try to sentence you for carrying a weapon designed to kill. Besides, a jury would not look as kindly upon an unfamiliar knife as say, a Bowie.

Good idea, but it has problem.

#172219 - 07/30/05 08:25 PM Re: On the gladius... [Re: glad2bhere]
Armed_Man_Piker Offline

Loc: East Coast U.S.A.
Quote:

OK, noone else is going to ask so I guess that I will......

With all of this talk about the Roman gladius how come noone has brought up the Thracian short-sword (which so me looks like a gladius but with proportionately smaller dimensions).

Perhaps because it was not the "Thracian short-sword" which conquered the Western World.

FWIW, there are no "Thracian" versions of the gladius. The traditional Thracian short sword was the sica, which was curved, and thus of a totally different form from all gladii.

Greek hoplites made use of a cut-and-thrust sword known generally at the xiphos (and other versions, such as the smaller lakonia, were used as well). Like the gladius, these weapons swelled at the COP, but they weren't of the same excellent workmanship as the Iberian and Iberian-inspired gladii. The Greeks were a warrior culture that focused on the use of the spear. The great swordsmen of the Ancient world, on the other hand, were the Iberians, Romans, and Celts.

Different focus.

#172220 - 07/30/05 08:30 PM Re: On the gladius... [Re: Armed_Man_Piker]
Kendo_Noob Offline

Loc: Wisconsin
buy a switchblade, every time i flip mine out, the "tough guy" goes running.

#172221 - 07/30/05 09:21 PM Re: On the gladius... [Re: Armed_Man_Piker]
glad2bhere Offline
Enthusiast

OK, at the risk of pushing the point......

In the gladitorial games one of the personnas (don't ask me which one) was armed with a Thracian sword. Maybe its just a senior moment but I have no recollection of the gladius being used in this way. If I am mistaken I can use some help here. Otherwise I could use an explanation why they would use one and not the other. Thoughts?

Best Wishes,

Bruce

#172222 - 07/31/05 11:52 AM Gladiator types [Re: glad2bhere]
Armed_Man_Piker Offline

Loc: East Coast U.S.A.
Quote:

OK, at the risk of pushing the point......

In the gladitorial games one of the personnas (don't ask me which one) was armed with a Thracian sword. Maybe its just a senior moment but I have no recollection of the gladius being used in this way. If I am mistaken I can use some help here. Otherwise I could use an explanation why they would use one and not the other. Thoughts?

Best Wishes,

Bruce

Hi Bruce,

The gladius was most certainly used in the gladiatorial games; the word itself means "swordsman". Roman Army historian Peter Connolly has suggested that the later "Pompeii"-type gladius was first used in the gladiatorial arena, and then introduced into the army.

Here's a breakdown about the various gladiator types that we know of:

Thracian Armed with the traditional Thracian curved short sword/long knife (sica), shield (a cut-down version of the scutum), helmet, greaves, and articulated arm-guard (manica) for the sword arm.

Secutor Armed with standard legionary sword (gladius), standard legionary shield (scutum), helmet, greaves, and articulated arm-guard (manica) for the sword arm.

Myrmillo Armed with standard legionary sword (gladius), standard legionary shield (scutum), helmet, only one greave (for the left--shield side--leg), and articulated arm-guard (manica) for the sword arm.

Provocator Armed with standard legionary sword (gladius), standard legionary shield (scutum), heart-guard (cardiophylax), helmet, greaves, and articulated arm-guard (manica) for the sword arm.

Retiarius Armed with a trident (fascina), lead-weighted net (rete), dagger, greaves, shoulder-guard (galerus), and articulated arm-guard (manica) for the left (net) arm.

Hoplomachus Armed with thrusting spear (hasta), round shield (parma or parmula), helmet, greaves, and articulated arm-guard (manica) for the spear arm (this gladiator presumably took his name from the hoplon, the larger round shield used by Greek hoplite infantry).

Saggitarius Armed with the Asiatic composite bow.

Essedari This gladiator fought from the Celtic war chariot (essedium).

The manica arm guard was sometimes made of maille or scale, as opposed to the articulated type.

Edited by Armed_Man_Piker (07/31/05 11:54 AM)

#172223 - 07/31/05 01:17 PM Re: Gladiator types [Re: Armed_Man_Piker]
shihan_chris Offline

Although, it is very unlikey that you would use a sword in a real situation, if the situation called for it, then i would say that a katana would be the best. The reason why i reccomend the katana is because it is designed in such a way that allows for maximum efficiency. Although without proper training it wouldn't be a whole lot better than any other sword. The katana as you obviously know, is Japanese. The Japanese had a simple philosophy: "One cut, one kill".
So not only do you need to be good at making the cut, but you also have to know when to draw the sword and make the cut. Technically, when a katana is used properly there isnt a lot of clashing between swords like you see on television. It's a very quick, and descisive kill. That is true swordsmanship. And onto the practicality issue......... a gun would be best for self defense. A katana won't jam or stall, so if you plan on using it for vengeance purposes, or straight up killing, and not self defense then i suppose that a katana is a good choice. (Although a Psychiatrist or therapist would be a much better choice.)

#172224 - 07/31/05 02:32 PM Re: Gladiator types [Re: shihan_chris]
glad2bhere Offline
Enthusiast

Dear AMP:

What a great post!! You da man!

Reading the list of personnas for the games, my eye discerns that the balance seems to be tipped in favor of thrust over cut. I say this because despite the previous info I still view the gladius as a thrusting weapon. I suppose this is something like the view of the Japanese katana as for slashing/cutting despite a number of thrusting techniques. Thoughts?

Best Wishes,

Bruce

Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Charles Mahan, Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga