FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
1 registered (MattJ), 67 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Shanktotheright, royal, bobgalle100011, agenonline, TooNice
22862 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 3
THEFOREVERMAN 3
MattJ 2
Jeff_G 1
Marcus Charles 1
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
New Topics
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by Marcus Charles
03/24/14 04:39 PM
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Dobbersky
03/20/14 05:45 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
AKK kata question
by
09/04/05 01:27 PM
Recent Posts
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by THEFOREVERMAN
Today at 08:22 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by THEFOREVERMAN
Today at 08:20 AM
AKK kata question
by MattJ
04/04/14 05:45 PM
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Forum Stats
22862 Members
36 Forums
35546 Topics
432378 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#171672 - 07/30/05 10:44 AM Re: Net responsibility [Re: eyrie]
glad2bhere Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Lindenhurst, Illinois USA
Dear Eryie:

I cannot fault a single thing you are saying. What I am here to point out is that such a reasoned and well-balanced approach is the distinct minority on Nets such as this, and its that way because people WANT it that way. For example, note how many people are engaged in our brief exchange right at this particular moment. Lets see--- there is you, of course. Then there is me. And of course, there is also you... and well... me... What happened to all of the people with the nasty one-liners, the cracks about ninjas and the objections to making Martial Arts "new age" by emphasizing development of the Character? Oh sure--- reasoned people are out there somewhere. But after you get them to overcome their fear of speaking up, and their fear of being flamed, and their fear of being disenfranchised for being too "intellectual" whom do you really have? This entire thread that we are using started up with the premise that the Net itself take a hand in things and you can read back over the response that I received, yes?

Is there a need for intelligent dialogue? Damn right?

Is there a need for oversight? Absolutely?

Is there a need for accurate information? Without a doubt.

Do the people commonly found on these Nets want such interventions? NOT IF IT CONFLICTS WITH THEIR COMMONLY HELD BELIEFS, RIGHT OR WRONG.

They want what they believe to be accepted as good and fair and just as they conceive of it and not the way it may be in fact. Certainly its a textbook definition of irresponsibility and immaturity and its a pain in the butt to those of us who thought the Internet held so much more promise.

At a recent demo of computerware a salesman at a neighboring mall mentioned that the item being demo-d was "damn-near fool-proof" and "Any fool can use this." I was immediately taken back to the corollary to Murphys' Law that states that "if you make something fool-proof, only fools will use it." I think I can make a case for that statement on many of these same Nets. FWIW.

Best Wishes,

Bruce

Edited by glad2bhere (07/30/05 10:45 AM)

#171673 - 07/30/05 11:34 AM Re: Net responsibility [Re: glad2bhere]
MattJ Online   happy
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
Quote by G2BH -

Quote:

For example, note how many people are engaged in our brief exchange right at this particular moment. Lets see--- there is you, of course. Then there is me. And of course, there is also you...

Oh boy. Could it be:

A) This is posted in one of the least traveled forums

B) Other people may think you are over-analyzing or making too much of the situation

C) Other people may feel that it is not worth debating with someone who's POV is not likely to be changed

BTW - while you are correct that this thread has not gotten many responses compared to others, many people have been keeping an eye on it. (100+ views)

#171674 - 07/30/05 12:46 PM Re: Net responsibility [Re: glad2bhere]
laf7773 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Limbo
If you truly want to raise the level of discussion here then i suggest you stop the rude and insulting posts. Many of your responses as of late have been completely uncalled for. I would like you provide an instance where one of the moderators blatantly fed "dangerous" information to a new practitioner. As far as i have seen the majority of the moderators and a larger number of the members here try to discourage new practitioners from trying anything on their own. Instead the norm is to direct them to proper instruction. Your perception of what is happening on this forum is just that, your perception and you are blowing it out of proportion. I do agree with you on the amount of participants and the length of the more meaningful threads. It is rare for deeper conversations to run long but the reason for that doesn't seem to be due to a lack of interest since the number of views on those threads tends to be pretty high. The fact may be that many of the people viewing the thread don't have any information to offer that hasn't been covered or they don't want to derail one of the few good discussions with a question for clarification. You also claim you only have two participants in this thread when the fact is you only have one other participant who hasn't directly questioned your behavior. I said from the beginning that my only issue with you was your behavior toward various members. While i do feel that some of the questions are redundant it's not your place to flame them for asking a question. It is also not your place to decide what they should be told on an open forum. It is the moderatorís responsibility to filter this information and if you don't agree with that you need to refer to the forum rules again. Claiming you are reacting to memberís posts as you did with Iamdadude because you are worried about possible terrorists isn't going to fly. More than one moderator has warned you more than once about your behavior and i suggest you tone down the insults. You may have a low opinion of me or any of the other moderators but i can assure you that you don't know a single member here enough to make the assessments you have made. All i did was tell you to refrain from your insults and your response was to insult me. This sort of behavior is unacceptable regardless of who it is directed toward.

#171675 - 07/30/05 12:47 PM Re: Net responsibility [Re: glad2bhere]
butterfly Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Torrance, CA
G2BH,

And yes, I have also been looking in on your little tirade. Though I agree with a lot of your thoughts and have felt many of your posts reasonable and educating, there is mixed in them, at times, a feeling of anger and irritation...and yes, paranoia. Whenever you have posted and I thought I had something to give, I wrote it. Whenever I had nothing to say or chime in about...note the Throws Designed to Kill thread...I won't say anything. I am not an expert, just a practioner.

However, I keep getting the feeling that you are trying to tell everyone that you have the map and that folks should be following your directions. Well it just ain't going to happen. The irritating points in your posts were brought up by Eyrie and Lane, to whom you did sound condescending, where I did not detect the same tone in their responses.

If you are doing theses posts at times as sport as you suggested to either bait people for their responses or to say ah-ha...I knew this would happen, then again, I see this is as a lack of decorum on your part.

One cannot disabuse others of their reasons for posting or some for their youthful, misguided attempts to find meaning in a MA world that they have just barely started to explore. It seems to me that you have had a bad time with some of the folks that orbit your MA planet and this irritation gets projected here...and sometimes aimed at some good people. This is not a good thing.

Like I said, I enjoy your posts when they present your take on things in a reasoned rebuttal...but when you try to point to others and yell you are stupid and wrong, this does not illicit a feeling of wanting to confront your arguments and learn....all I and others hear is the yelling...and not the words.

-B

#171676 - 07/30/05 04:10 PM Re: Net responsibility [Re: laf7773]
glad2bhere Offline
Enthusiast

Hey, Lane? Whatever.

"Rude and insulting posts"? Oh, you mean the posts that aire a view inconsistent with yours?

Yeah, well, its been very insightful, there, tons-'o-fun, but I think I have a pretty good grip on how things work around here.

I now return you to your regularly scheduled delusions

Regards.

#171677 - 07/30/05 06:36 PM Re: Net responsibility [Re: glad2bhere]
SANCHIN31 Offline
Former Moderator

Loc: Arkansas, U.S.
G2BH,
GET OFF YOUR HIGH HORSE!! I suppose your kaka smells like roses too?

#171678 - 07/30/05 07:03 PM Re: Net responsibility [Re: glad2bhere]
Kintama Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Massachusetts
Nothing more than an evolved species of troll.
The insults wouldn't be so bad if they at least had a sense of humor to them. Habitual humorless insults paint a picture of sadness and deep paranoia probably rooted from an experience which has led him to general mistrust of people. which really would be unfortunate given his (probable) knowledge to share.
Still, he's been banned from several other forums.... everyone is wrong and HE is right? who's delusional.

Ignore him like any common troll and he'll either crawl back to his cave and simmer or perhaps come back to his senses when he gets lonely.

contrary to what you believe about me g2bh, nobody is out to get you or create enemies. I'd like for you to challenge yourself and try to post without insults or air of superiority....if you are as great as you think you are, you should have no trouble making that adjustment. It's true I've insulted you before in retaliation, so I have my own issues and improvements to deal with...the difference is that I know I'm not perfect nor do I think I'm closer to perfection than anyone else.... including the 17 yearolds who post with 'dude' in thier sentences. There is something to be learned from everyone.
good luck.

#171679 - 07/30/05 10:22 PM Re: Net responsibility [Re: glad2bhere]
eyrie Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: QLD, Australia
Well, I tried.... It seems that some people need to take their own advice, coz I certainly can't make them "grow up".

I was trying to help save "face", but it seems you can't help those that insist on lowering their own standards and succumbing to popular opinion, because the reality is, it is much harder to be humble, rise above it all and just let the inconsequential slide.

I think the number of people who have since jumped in to this thread (largely due to the time difference this side of the world!), speaks volumes to the way they feel about the whole issue.

Perhaps it would be prudent for everyone to just back down a little and reflect on the real and more important issues.

As far as I'm concerned, the juvenile and testoterone-challenged will weed themselves out and get bored when they can't keep up with the higher levels of intelligent discussion. Adding more noise to the din, doesn't make it any quieter.

Non-action is sometimes more powerful than jumping onto a high horse and yelling for attention. It certainly wastes a lot less energy....

#171680 - 07/31/05 02:45 PM Re: Net responsibility [Re: Kintama]
glad2bhere Offline
Enthusiast

You still owe me a public apology for making a false statement on BULLSHIDO Net. There never was a "threatened suit" by some "sensei". You knew that to be false at the time and you still represented it as true. It was a shallow attempt at making yourself seem to know more than you did at someone elses expense. Paranoia is a "neurotic fear" and it is not paranoia if a person really IS saying untrue and hurtful things.

Your posts carry no validity with me.

#171681 - 07/31/05 03:54 PM Re: Net responsibility [Re: glad2bhere]
Kintama Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Massachusetts
not true. and I'm still waiting for your appology to this entire forum.

You know I can't prove what I read, because the posts have been deleted. I read an exchange between you and an owner of a club in which he asked you to stop harrassing him or you can talk to his lawyer.
On bullshido, I did offer an appology IF what I read was not true...in other words if the sensei was falsly accusing you of something you didn't do. There was more, but I don't want to get involved with your personal problems.

This is a question of YOUR net responsibility of not treating people like lab animals and morons. I take great offense to some of your posts...thats the only reason I point out your flaws and lack of character. guess what, your behavior has turned that microscope around on you.

p.s.
How's this for validity:
http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showthr...age=1&pp=15
or did I type all that in myself?

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga