FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 35 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
old1, Leonar, ManLar, Vimido, raya
22925 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
futsaowingchun 4
Ronin1966 3
GojuRyuboy13 2
AndyLA 1
Matakiant 1
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Martial News
by Matakiant
09/23/14 06:42 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by Leo_E_49
01/24/12 02:58 AM
Recent Posts
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
Yesterday at 07:20 AM
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by swordy
10/11/14 09:21 AM
The Karate punch
by Ronin1966
10/09/14 03:16 PM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ronin1966
10/08/14 09:22 PM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by AndyLA
10/04/14 10:20 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Forum Stats
22925 Members
36 Forums
35582 Topics
432510 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#171662 - 07/27/05 02:01 PM Re: Net responsibility [Re: glad2bhere]
laf7773 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Limbo
You did not "make an observation" you mocked the individual and made them out to be an idiot. Here is the question.
Quote:

hey, what's a wooden tanto used for? Like, what's the art called? what's it like?

and here was your response.
Quote:

Oh wow, like its for killin' guys in wooden armour, ya know? Like these totally heinous dudes have got ya by the short ones, ya know? So you use your wooden tanto on 'em, ya know? 'Cept like if they are TOTALLY evil! Then, man its like time to pull yer wooden Lone Ranger, ya know? Rad if not eternally narley.

Best Wishes,

Bruce

How is that an observation? It's flat out rude and inappropriate. You are using the premise that you are concerned about the well being of the youth or the possible threat of terrorism to cover for you inappropriate behavior. Here in this thread you claim your concern is for children who may be reading and possibly trying these things but in the thread you mentioned you claim your concern is for possible terrorists who may be reading. Which is it? Like i said in that thread. This is the fighting arts forum not antiterrorism.com or parentalcontrol.net. It is not your obligation to make fun of people who you feel are unworthy of such information.

I think you need to reflect on these two points you made here.

Quote:

c.) You have you ideas of what constitutes authentic MA and your resent having people disagree with you.

d.) You harbor a special irritation for people who point up your illusions for what they are and would rather act out against such a person than rethink the possibility that a reassessment is in order.

The majority of the moderators here and admin have done an exceptional job of sifting through the garbage and promoting legitimate topics. Just because YOU have and issue with something doesn't mean we all need to cater to your desires.

Plain and simple, if you don't agree with a topic report it. You don't have the right to flame someone because you feel they are going to POSSIBLY misuse the information they are given. If you have such a low opinion of MOST of the members here then why remain here. What good could come from discussions with people who are so far below you?

#171663 - 07/27/05 02:34 PM Re: Net responsibility [Re: glad2bhere]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
Wow, so many points to go over -

Quote:

Currently we have an active thread in which a person wants to know where to look to find information on fighting with a dagger. What about discussions concerning the best choke to use? How about a discussion of the best way to break a persons’ arm?

Many of the techniques you describe have sporting applications. How can you propose seperating the description of, say, an armbar for competetion vs, SD? Do we just not discusss them at all?

Quote:

However, it has become increasingly apparent to me that there are not a few kids on this Net and based on the responses I have seen they are not getting a whole lot of guidance regarding what they are about in the MA.

Are you talking about THIS forum? Good God, the most common response from the mods to training questions is "Join a school." This is not responsible?

Quote:

Most of the people I am hearing on this Net are probably not going to do much more than dress-up and parade around in a dochang. They have their illusions about what they are really doing and there are always folks standing in the wings ready to charge for a test or collect tuition in support of these illusions. Thats fine. Harmless role-play.

LOL! "They" do, huh? But not you! LMAO!!! Very condescending, Bruce.

Quote:

And what if that person doesn't have a real good grip of reality to begin with?

Quote:

How would you react if, say, I started a discussion on the sword forum entitled------

"Can a sword cut a cat/dog in two?"

You are kidding, right? We are suposed to manage info for the mentally unbalanced? They are ALREADY mentally unbalanced. Anything could set them off.

Quote:

And I never said that people could not find the same information other places. I am wondering why this net needs to contribute to that ease.

Because this is a discussion forum about MARTIAL ARTS. The internet is like a library. People will misuse info if they really want to. And they will find it if they really want to, here or someplace else. What do you recommend we discuss on this martial arts forum if we can not discuss technique? The sky is NOT falling.

#171664 - 07/27/05 03:31 PM Re: Net responsibility [Re: laf7773]
glad2bhere Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Lindenhurst, Illinois USA
Know what, Lane? You can probably do a lot of things including saddle somebody with your own inadequacies. You can do it any time or place you want to. You just can't do it with me.

The comments about a "wooden tanto" got exactly the answer it deserved. If the person knew enough to call it a tanto and not a knife draw your OWN conclusions. Everybody who read that post drew the same conclusion. Its was a stupid gratuitous question and it got the gratutitous answer it deserved. You don't like my answer, post a better one.

I also suggest that you look-up the word "condescension". Its NOT condescension when a person actually DOES know quite a bit more than someone else and take exception to gross stupidity. I have had the questionable distinction of reading what passes for informed responses and can tell you plainly that I could drive a truck between an accurate response and what passes from you as "information". I am quite sure you enjoy passing yourself off as well-informed. You're not, and banging on me because of your own inadequacies is not going to help that.

In conclusion I have a pretty good idea of what you THINK you are accomplishing here and I think you may want to warm-up to the idea that the current assessment is that your Net in its current incarnation is to MA what a high school newletter is to Journalism. You have done little more than point out that you don't like what I am saying. You have done NOTHING to demonstrate that I am wrong.

Regards,

Bruce

#171665 - 07/27/05 04:10 PM Re: Net responsibility [Re: glad2bhere]
MAGr Offline
Veteran

Loc: London, home: Athens
I have an idea! Delete this pointless thred, because a lot of people here have wasted around 10 min of their lives!

#171666 - 07/28/05 01:47 AM Re: Net responsibility [Re: glad2bhere]
laf7773 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Limbo
Feel free to point out anywhere i ever used the term "condescension" or said you don't know what you are talking about. I stated fact; it is NOT your job to ridicule others for their lack of knowledge. I have never claimed to be the all knowing, as you seem to think you are, nor have i ever put anyone else down for his or her lack of knowledge. If you actually know as much as you claim then you should be educating younger less experienced members and not making fun of them. I never have taken issue with any productive thread of yours but your abuse toward other members will not be tolerated no matter how you try to disguise or justify it.

Quote:

Know what, Lane? You can probably do a lot of things including saddle somebody with your own inadequacies. You can do it any time or place you want to. You just can't do it with me.

Again feel free to show me where i have tried to "saddle" you with my inadequacies. Please. All i did was warn you against your rude behavior toward other members. Either you are displaying a typical trollish "come back" or you are truly paranoid. Don't let your delusions of grandeur get the best of you.

Quote:

In conclusion I have a pretty good idea of what you THINK you are accomplishing here and I think you may want to warm-up to the idea that the current assessment is that your Net in its current incarnation is to MA what a high school newletter is to Journalism. You have done little more than point out that you don't like what I am saying. You have done NOTHING to demonstrate that I am wrong.

Well firstly this isn't MY site it belongs to Mr. Caile. I only volunteer my time to enforce the rules he has set in place. I'll ask again, if you have such a low opinion of this site and it's members, why are you here? I'm sure your witty demeanor would be more welcome among more knowledgeable and experienced people. No i don't like what you are saying in regards to how you are treating other members. Your conspiracy theories however are a bit of a laugh. What exactly is it i am to be proving wrong? Are you confusing me with one of the many other moderators who have taken issue with your behavior? It would seem so since all i have told you is basically to behave.

Have a coke and a smile...

#171667 - 07/29/05 09:04 AM Re: Net responsibility [Re: glad2bhere]
eyrie Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: QLD, Australia
You know Bruce, it is far easier to feed some story about supposedly unjust social treatment to a young impressionable person to get them to strap a bomb to their body and sacrifice themselves in the name of some "just" cause than it is to teach some supposedly "secret" martial technique (for sentry removal!???) in this forum.

Why you choose to stoop to the mentality of the average 15 yo testosterone induced geek on this board is quite beyond me. I've read some of your posts on AikidoJournal. Your posts here seem to be a far cry from the intelligent and mature commentary you make over there.

Personally, I would prefer to see more of the level of quality posts you make over at AikidoJournal here, rather than the gratuitous potshots you've been hurling lately.

#171668 - 07/30/05 01:33 AM Re: Net responsibility [Re: eyrie]
glad2bhere Offline
Enthusiast

Dear Eyrie:

Nothing would give me greater pleasure, but it is quickly coming to my understanding that is NOT what people want. Yes, I KNOW. Ask anyone and they will TELL you that intelligent discourse, soundly researched information and aspirations to being a better person is what they are seeking. Then watch their behavior.

I have a couple of "acid tests" that I have used to experiment with this and the results are sickeningly consistent. One experiment is to post an intelligent and thoughtful queirie into some aspect of MA and then record the number of responses over a one week period. Then, post a salacious and gratutious thread requiring only spontaneous opinion. Guess which one gets the most posts?

Another experiment is to enter into an existing or on-going thread and begin to introduce information in the form of facts, resources and citations. The longest survivor went three days before the dialogue stopped completely. Fastest thread killing questions? a.) Do you have the name and contact information of the person who told you that? b.) Where did you read that and when? c.) Do you have and suggestions for articles or books that can give me more information on that?

I have been advocating for a more thoughtful and thoroughly researched approach to the KMA for some years now and I can tell you with little fear of contradiction that the greater population of the KMA simply do not want it. They want the image of what they would "like" the KMA to be: powerful, romantic and deadly. They are not interested in the KMA as it really is: hard work, service oriented and demanding.

The upshot, then, is that if there is little likelihood of raising the quality of what other people are doing the best I can hope for is to see if I can at least slow the bleeding, as it were. FWIW.

Best Wishes,

Bruce

Edited by glad2bhere (07/30/05 01:35 AM)

#171669 - 07/30/05 05:39 AM Re: Net responsibility [Re: glad2bhere]
eyrie Offline
Professional Poster

And that would be reason enough to stoop to their level??
How does perpetuating bad behavioural examples engender change? I'm not sure I follow the logic....

#171670 - 07/30/05 08:34 AM Re: Net responsibility [Re: eyrie]
glad2bhere Offline
Enthusiast

Dear Eryie:

As a teacher I can only teach people who want to learn. I can't "make" people grow. I have a lot to share but that does not mean that other people are going to value it. If you have been to the Aikido Journal Net you have seen some of the responses. If you examine some of the responses here you will see some of the same mind set. If you examine the huge thread over on BULLSHIDO you will see such thinking even more plainly. Sometimes the response is disguised in an objection to my writing, and sometimes it is framed in terms of authority and still other times it is attacked for personal reasons. However, in the end it always comes back to the same position. people want things the way they want to believe and not necessarily as the facts might dictate or even in some manner which might be better for them. A good counselor will tell you that a patient must be taken where THEY are at.

I can do a lot of things including point up how outlandish it is to simply give underdeveloped practitioners what they ask for merely because it is what they ask for. In the end, however, people are going to ask for whatever it is that they want whether they can handle it or not. And there is simply nothing I can do about that, except perhaps, point out the potential for non-growth or injury. FWIW.

Best Wishes,

Bruce

#171671 - 07/30/05 09:19 AM Re: Net responsibility [Re: glad2bhere]
eyrie Offline
Professional Poster

That is certainly no reason to debase this forum or degenerate to the level of intellectual maturity prevalent on that forum. I agree, you can't "make" people grow, but as "elders" in the martial art community, you can certainly help them long the path. That, I'm sure you (being of someone of your standing) can understand.

How you help or hinder them in their development speaks volumes to others, and as a teacher of the arts, we are merely guides to others on the path of life.

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga