FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 38 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
AndyLA, danacohenn, ksusanc, kellypnik123, leyinn
22904 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 14
cxt 7
trevek 6
JKogas 5
futsaowingchun 3
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
Applied center line theory
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:55 AM
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/14/14 10:49 PM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/11/14 03:36 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
12/30/13 08:32 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Prizewriter
04/16/12 02:48 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
04/12/12 11:16 AM
Throwing
by
04/23/05 10:58 PM
Recent Posts
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Dobbersky
Yesterday at 05:11 AM
Applied center line theory
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:55 AM
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:53 AM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by cxt
07/24/14 11:35 AM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/14/14 04:50 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:35 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
07/09/14 06:13 AM
Throwing
by JKogas
07/03/14 07:40 PM
Forum Stats
22904 Members
36 Forums
35564 Topics
432455 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#170178 - 07/29/05 12:59 PM Re: Punch the air in shiko-dachi (horse stance) [Re: Bushi_no_ki]
WADO Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: denver co usa
Karate is all about knees and ankles horse stance trains knees and ankles. There are many reasons for this type of training, first it teaches you to be comfortable with a low center of gravity which is crucial to karate training, many throws in karate use the horse stance, The toes in knees out is designed to break an opponents balance, even if you never use horse stance in a fight it is quicker to train symetrically so you can get by with fewer punches. It trains posture if you can keep your posture straight for 100 punches you can maintain proper posture throughout the motion of many techniques remember posture is important to karate. The pull back itself is not a loading move or chambering move it is designed to force the practitioner to use maxumum hip rotation, in horse stance puch the hips should move very sharply but only a very short distance it teaches a person to accelerate hips very carefully. The pull back is like a thorn used to remove another thorn, it is used to teach the hips once the hips know what to do you no longer need it and you can throw it away, but it is still effective training even for advanced practitioners to emphasize short sharp hip movement.

#170179 - 07/29/05 06:45 PM Re: Punch the air in shiko-dachi (horse stance) [Re: deadlyartsmaster]
deadlyartsmaster Offline

I am not biased. Advising members to punch in the air before a streetfight is plain silly. Get lost.

Edited by SANCHIN31 (07/29/05 07:15 PM)

#170180 - 07/29/05 08:47 PM Re: Punch the air in shiko-dachi (horse stance) [Re: Bushi_no_ki]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
Quote by Bushi_no_ki -

Quote:

Alot of punching from horse stance, is as stated, about the stamina and discipline, but horse stance also allows for you to isolate the upper body, and focus entirely on the technique of the punch.

Sorry, I disagree completely. The very fact the you are "isolating" the upper body means you are really not working any functional technique.

If you are not involving the legs, hips and back in your upper body strikes, you are simply doing an excercise similar to punching.

Boxers can throw tremendously powerful punches with very little arm movement, because they are involving the body in it's entirety. All strikes need to involve the entire body as a cohesive unit, and practice that does not do so is of very little value, IMHO. Heavy bag and focus pads, my friends. Air is for breathing!

#170181 - 07/29/05 11:57 PM Re: Punch the air in shiko-dachi (horse stance) [Re: MattJ]
Bushi_no_ki Offline
Veteran

Loc: POM, Monterey CA
You can use a focus pad for punching out of horse stance. We do it all the time Matt. I used to be amazed by the amount of power I could generate just from my arms. Adding body weight to the punch just makes it all the more powerful.

#170182 - 07/30/05 12:40 AM Re: Punch the air in shiko-dachi (horse stance) [Re: Bushi_no_ki]
BigRod Offline
Does it all

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Shouldn't you be training your punches from the stance they're actually going to be used from? The time spent practicing punches in a horse stance (which you will never do in a fight) could used to fine tune your actual delivery mechanism of your punches.

And as for using a horse a stance to increase leg strength in some way, well, there are more modern and effective ways of doing that, even without weights.

#170183 - 07/30/05 09:25 AM Re: Punch the air in shiko-dachi (horse stance) [Re: BigRod]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
Thanks, BigRod. That was exactly what I was trying to say. Why practice in a manner that is substantially different from the actual application?

#170184 - 07/30/05 11:47 AM Re: Punch the air in shiko-dachi (horse stance) [Re: MattJ]
gojumaster Offline

MattJ,

Do you practice any lower-body stretching and/or strengthening exercises? I would imagine you do.

My comment is just that if you are, then why not do something, anything useful with your arms while you do so.

Maybe you're stretching / strenghtening your arms with the same drill, but if not, maybe you could be practicing blocks, strikes, etc.

Best Regards,

Russ

Quote:

Thanks, BigRod. That was exactly what I was trying to say. Why practice in a manner that is substantially different from the actual application?

#170185 - 07/30/05 03:47 PM Re: Punch the air in shiko-dachi (horse stance) [Re: gojumaster]
Leo_E_49 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: California
My opinion is that it teaches discipline but also that it is a VERY good teaching aid for teaching beginners. You can clearly see their technique and correct it when in this stance. I think of it as a teaching aid.

And I do believe you are wrong about not using this in a streetfight. This stance provides VERY good stability and power-base for punching. However, you would not stand in the stance punching, stances are transitory. Like leaves in the wind, we change direction and flow with the motion of our body; dropping a stance here and there where they can amplify the power of our body's movement. You don't stop in a stance, chamber and then punch. Drop into the stance for the instant you punch and add the momentum of your current movement into the stance and the punch then move out of the stance in one flowing movement. The stance shouldn't exist for more than a moment, the blink of an eye. If you stand still, you give your opponent the advantage. Rigidness of mind or body can be the end of you.

Obsession with stances is no good, stances are tools or guidelines, not the rule of law. Control stances, don't let stances control you.

Edited by Leo_E_49 (07/30/05 03:50 PM)

#170186 - 07/31/05 10:02 PM Re: Punch the air in shiko-dachi (horse stance) [Re: MattJ]
Bushi_no_ki Offline
Veteran

Loc: POM, Monterey CA
Good question, and I don't really have an answer I can form. I guess isolating the upper body in practice once in a while just boosts your ego a little, by showing you how much power you can generate with just half your body. I will say this, I do like to isolate my punching and train proper focus. I have ADHD, and it's really hard to meditate sometimes, so doing something like this seems to help during the harder times.

#170187 - 07/19/07 11:10 AM Re: Punch the air in shiko-dachi (horse stance) [Re: Bushi_no_ki]
BrianS Offline
Higher rank than you
Professional Poster

Loc: Northwest Arkansas
Does your class practice this? (Punching the air in horse stance)
Only one choice allowed

Votes accepted starting: 07/19/07 12:00 PM
You must vote before you can view the results of this poll.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, MattJ, Reiki, Ronin1966 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga