FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 44 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
LeroyCFischer, JadeKing, Beefcake, WesJones, simonajones111
22933 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
charlie 2
futsaowingchun 2
Matakiant 1
William_Bent 1
simonajones111 1
November
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
New Topics
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Siu Lin Tao-3rd section applications
by futsaowingchun
11/13/14 06:48 PM
Screen fighting course UK December 2014
by charlie
11/11/14 04:09 PM
Siu Lin Tao-1st section Pak Sao explanations
by futsaowingchun
11/09/14 10:30 PM
I spy kata bunkai..
by GojuRyuboy13
10/29/14 08:28 AM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
MA style video library
by
03/22/06 03:18 PM
Recent Posts
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Siu Lin Tao-3rd section applications
by futsaowingchun
11/13/14 06:48 PM
Screen fighting course UK December 2014
by charlie
11/11/14 04:09 PM
MA style video library
by charlie
11/11/14 04:05 PM
Siu Lin Tao-1st section Pak Sao explanations
by futsaowingchun
11/09/14 10:30 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/29/14 10:01 PM
I spy kata bunkai..
by GojuRyuboy13
10/29/14 08:28 AM
Forum Stats
22933 Members
36 Forums
35589 Topics
432521 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#170168 - 07/22/05 10:09 PM Punch the air in shiko-dachi (horse stance)
SANCHIN31 Offline
Former Moderator

Loc: Arkansas, U.S.
Of what or any value do you find in doing this? I know that most karate schools do this in one way or another.
For me I think it instills discipline and stamina/strength,but has little self-defense value.
I prefer to drill the students and myself from various other fighting stances,sanchin for one.

#170169 - 07/22/05 11:29 PM Re: Punch the air in shiko-dachi (horse stance) [Re: SANCHIN31]
butterfly Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Torrance, CA
Sanchin,

In the style I practice, you would never practice reverse punches in shiko-dachi or kiba-dachi. That said, I see no problem with people actually doing this when their style encourages it.

The reason we don't do this for reverse punches or jab right cross combos, is that our torso's and hips have to be in the technique...and these stances effectively stop this movement.

If the mechanics or practices of another style dictate that you do these punches in this stance, go for it. This may promote other techniques or capabilities that I am unaware of or are not implied in our style.

Now having said that, I will note we do practice shita-zuki (upper cut punch) from a kiba-achi, since torso and arm relaxzation (thus a centered trunk) and the use of the quadriceps are mandatory in the technique as we perform it.

Also, we would effectively use kiba-dachi and shiko-dachi in defensive techniques that would include punches (but not reverse punches) and unbalancing in order to fell the opponent and use the knee placement of these stances as effective counter techniques to the opponent's backward fall....sort of like the opponent's head falling on an anvil (the knee in these stances is very stable).

Warmest regards,

-B

#170170 - 07/23/05 12:08 AM Re: Punch the air in shiko-dachi (horse stance) [Re: butterfly]
kenposan Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Columbus, Ohio
A lot of it has to do with chambering, not so much punching. Victor wrote a good article about it on this site.

#170171 - 07/23/05 12:47 AM Re: Punch the air in shiko-dachi (horse stance) [Re: SANCHIN31]
Kintama Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Massachusetts
leg strengthening while learning an alternate way of generating power. My appologies if I don't say anything you don't already know...

how do you generate power while keeping the shoulders and hips straight? if you twist the hips and/or shoulders then that would be a telegraph, right? sometimes if you are in an appropriate position for such an attack, a little trade off of telegraph for power is worth it.
thats one way.
There is another type of hip power generation...it's not the familiar rotational hip power like we'd do for reverse punch. This alternate type of power feels like a wave starting at your hips and peaking at the end of your fist. to an observer, they don't see a wave movement even when looking to the side...it's just how the opposing tension in your muscles perceive your movement. (the muscles involved are mostly buttocks, lower ab, stomach)

This is hard to describe, and I'm still trying to get the hang of it. In slow motion, try exaggurated movement at first:
pull your hips in without rounding your back (ie tighten your butt).
while pushing your hip (actually, hara) toward your rear leg you are using that motion to start a wave that is one ripple. right before your fist gets about 75% extended, you reverse your hip (hara) forward to the starting position...this sudden reversing gives you your kimi at the end of the wave.
exaggurated at first, the goal is to be able to do it without noticable body whipping. If you are arching or rounding your back at any point, you are doing it wrong and it will led to back pain/problems.

back up to natural fighting stance...
Now...combine that forward power generation with proper rotational body mechanics. practice it for a few months/years and there will be a dramatic power difference in your technique. you can apply it to blocks, kicks, punches, etc...get the fundamentals of the body mech. and it's just a matter of time to figure each technique out on a case by case.

so yes, punching the air in shiko dachi is a useful drill. It adds to other principals, or at the very least, good for leg strengthening. IMO.
-Ed

#170172 - 07/23/05 01:02 AM Re: Punch the air in shiko-dachi (horse stance) [Re: Kintama]
bo-ken Offline
Veteran

Loc: beaver falls, PA, beaver
I agree with Kintama it is a great way to generate power. I like to use it as a teaching aid I can see everyone punching at once.

#170173 - 07/23/05 08:04 PM Re: Punch the air in shiko-dachi (horse stance) [Re: SANCHIN31]
Crash Offline
Buckle up!

Loc: Ontario, Canada
SANCHIN31, usually my classes start with a quick warm up and then we do single, double and triple punches in kiba-dachi. My sensi says (as you did) that this is obviously not a self defense technique, but rather a way of conditioning, he will say The punching is just a distraction from your legs, he says the main focus of the excercise is to train your stance. And often once we get to triple punches half the class will have risen up to having their legs straight, sensi will say "get those stances down there! your only cheating yourselves".

#170174 - 07/27/05 01:28 PM Re: Punch the air in shiko-dachi (horse stance) [Re: SANCHIN31]
Deltaforce69 Offline

Quote:

Of what or any value do you find in doing this? I know that most karate schools do this in one way or another.
For me I think it instills discipline and stamina/strength,but has little self-defense value.
I prefer to drill the students and myself from various
other fighting stances,sanchin for one.

Shiko dachi(sumo stance)in specific style of okinawan karate is widely used. The shorter version is used to train mobility and generating hip twisting (develop close range power)

Gambatte

Edited by Deltaforce69 (07/27/05 01:29 PM)

#170175 - 07/27/05 01:30 PM Re: Punch the air in shiko-dachi (horse stance) [Re: Crash]
gojumaster Offline

In my opinion, this is a great lesson that should carry over to nearly all aspects of training...

If you are coordinated enough to walk and chew gum at the same time (move your hands and feet simultaneously), then you should never be doing a drill that involves only the hands OR the feet. If you do, then you're just wasting a training opportunity.

Just to be clear, what you may do with your hands or feet may be related to self-defense, stretching, or strengthening and the lower-body may be simply stretching or strengthening while the upper-body may be practicing practical fighting drills / techniques.

Best Regards,

Russ

Quote:

SANCHIN31, usually my classes start with a quick warm up and then we do single, double and triple punches in kiba-dachi. My sensi says (as you did) that this is obviously not a self defense technique, but rather a way of conditioning, he will say The punching is just a distraction from your legs, he says the main focus of the excercise is to train your stance. And often once we get to triple punches half the class will have risen up to having their legs straight, sensi will say "get those stances down there! your only cheating yourselves".

#170176 - 07/27/05 09:35 PM Re: Punch the air in shiko-dachi (horse stance) [Re: gojumaster]
Bushi_no_ki Offline
Veteran

Loc: POM, Monterey CA
Alot of punching from horse stance, is as stated, about the stamina and discipline, but horse stance also allows for you to isolate the upper body, and focus entirely on the technique of the punch.

#170177 - 07/28/05 07:59 PM Re: Punch the air in shiko-dachi (horse stance) [Re: Bushi_no_ki]
deadlyartsmaster Offline

Do not troll in this forum!

Edited by SANCHIN31 (07/28/05 08:46 PM)

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, MattJ, Reiki, Ronin1966 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga