FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 56 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Shanktotheright, royal, bobgalle100011, agenonline, TooNice
22862 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
THEFOREVERMAN 3
Dobbersky 3
MattJ 2
royal 2
SoulJah22 1
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
New Topics
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by Marcus Charles
03/24/14 04:39 PM
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Dobbersky
03/20/14 05:45 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
AKK kata question
by
09/04/05 01:27 PM
Recent Posts
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by THEFOREVERMAN
Yesterday at 08:22 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by THEFOREVERMAN
Yesterday at 08:20 AM
AKK kata question
by MattJ
04/04/14 05:45 PM
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Forum Stats
22862 Members
36 Forums
35546 Topics
432378 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#169659 - 07/21/05 02:06 PM Double Broadswords
Juche447 Offline

Hi everyone,

I'm new to posting here, but have been reading here for a while. I was wondering if anybody would be able to help me out.

Yesterday, I recieved double broadswords from my instructor. We didn't have time to actually go over the specifics of them. However, I have used escrima sticks, a single broadsword, and a metal katana, so I have some experience with double weapons and bladed weapons. The thing is the cloth at the end of the sword (I'm not sure what that is called - sorry) gets in the way of the blades sometimes. My single broadsword has no cloth. Could anyone share some pointers for the double broadswords? I know that I should ask my instructor, but I will not see him for a while, and I would like to practice some basic strikes, spins, ect. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
-Juche

#169660 - 07/21/05 06:32 PM Re: Double Broadswords [Re: Juche447]
kenkaku Offline

Loc: Somerville Al United States
The cloth that you say is in the way, is it purely decorative, or does it have a practical purpose? if it is only decorative, and you intend to use this sword for sparring, you should remove it. If it cannot or should not be removed, what I would do is tie it around the pommel, or, if it's long enough, wrap it around the entire handle. That is my advice, but you're right, you should definitely ask your instructor about it.

#169661 - 07/21/05 08:28 PM Re: Double Broadswords [Re: kenkaku]
Juche447 Offline

Thanks kenkaku. I'm pretty sure the cloth is decorative only. I'm using the broadswords for demonstration purposes by the way. Just out of curiosity, though, would you be able to tell me some simple strikes, that I could work on until I see my instructor? If you can't thank-you for at least replying to my post.

-Juche

#169662 - 07/23/05 09:20 AM Re: Double Broadswords [Re: Juche447]
kenkaku Offline

Loc: Somerville Al United States
First of all, we are talking about chinese broadswords, right? If so, I can't help you with moves, sorry, as I have had no instruction with that weapon. As anyone here will tell you, the only real way to learn is from your instructor. Though I'm sure you could find a book or website on the subject.

#169663 - 07/24/05 05:17 PM Re: Double Broadswords [Re: kenkaku]
Benjamin1986 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Republic of Texas
If you are meaning a Dao blade, then yes, it is merely decoration (I'm sorry, but will you please use correct terminology on the board? When you say broadsword, people think of European blades and get confused). However, depending on the school, there could be some symbolism attached to it, or it might be wrapped around the hand for better grip.

I'm sorry that I cannot help you more, but unless I am mistanken, the people on this board specialize in Japanese arts and fencing. I cannot think of any that have experience with the Chinese arts, much less with double blades.

#169664 - 07/29/05 12:31 AM Re: Double Broadswords [Re: Benjamin1986]
javaman Offline

Loc: calgary, alberta, canada
The cloths on the broadswords are usually called "flags" in form competition. what I was told by my instructor, is that in form competition, the flags act as a signal by their motions if the sword motion is slightly off, at least for some moves. Some schools use them some don't. Usually it is up to the students discretion as to keep them or not, if you find they are really in the way, take them off, I personally like having them for some forms; and don't like them for others. Keep an eye on other students who do forms with flags on their swords, it really is easier to pick up the subtleties of the blades movements. This is the same reason you often see cotton tassles on tai chi swords.

#169665 - 01/27/07 07:14 PM Re: Double Broadswords [Re: Juche447]
vashtheblade Offline

The flags exist for two reason distraction and to hide the hand. Watch a form of the double Dao and you will understand. The color contrast catches the eye of the opponent and also hides the hand to offer some protection.

#169666 - 01/27/07 08:32 PM Re: Double Broadswords [Re: vashtheblade]
Shouji Offline

Loc: VA
Double Dao is the weapon form for my purple sash in Kung Fu. The most important thing about it is footwork, while single Dao, the most important thing is to be empty handed.

#169667 - 01/27/07 09:27 PM Re: Double Broadswords [Re: vashtheblade]
Charles Mahan Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Denton, Tx, USA
Quote:

The flags exist for two reason distraction and to hide the hand. Watch a form of the double Dao and you will understand. The color contrast catches the eye of the opponent and also hides the hand to offer some protection.

In the future, please refrain from resurecting threads which are a year and a half old.

#169668 - 01/28/07 02:02 AM Re: Double Broadswords [Re: Shouji]
Chen Zen Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Ms
Could you explain what you mean about "empty handed" a little more Shouji?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Charles Mahan, Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga