FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 27 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
AndyLA, danacohenn, ksusanc, kellypnik123, leyinn
22904 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 12
cxt 7
trevek 6
JKogas 5
futsaowingchun 4
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
Applied center line theory
by futsaowingchun
Yesterday at 08:55 AM
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/14/14 10:49 PM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/11/14 03:36 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
10 San Sik drills-Wing Chun's foundation
by futsaowingchun
06/30/14 11:20 AM
"Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2" the movies.
by TaekwonDoFan
06/30/14 11:02 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
12/30/13 08:32 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Prizewriter
04/16/12 02:48 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
04/12/12 11:16 AM
Recent Posts
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Prizewriter
Yesterday at 10:15 AM
Applied center line theory
by futsaowingchun
Yesterday at 08:55 AM
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
Yesterday at 08:53 AM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by cxt
07/24/14 11:35 AM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/14/14 04:50 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:35 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
07/09/14 06:13 AM
Throwing
by JKogas
07/03/14 07:40 PM
10 San Sik drills-Wing Chun's foundation
by futsaowingchun
06/30/14 11:20 AM
"Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2" the movies.
by TaekwonDoFan
06/30/14 11:02 AM
Forum Stats
22904 Members
36 Forums
35564 Topics
432453 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 2 of 13 < 1 2 3 4 ... 12 13 >
Topic Options
#169237 - 07/20/05 01:21 PM Re: How many real fights? [Re: Crash]
shoshinkan Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: UK
Sounds like you are learning your art well ! Dont get hung up on it, fighting is for fools really, pride and ego.

however you must be aware of the possability and train hard, you will deal with it when and if it happens.

www.shoshinkanuk.blogspot.com

#169238 - 07/20/05 01:21 PM Re: How many real fights? [Re: Crash]
Intrepidinv1 Offline

Loc: NC, USA
Crash,

Please don't feel this way. As I've said, most people don't really need to get into fights. Police, military, bouncers, etc. would have more opportunities to test their knowledge. You can get you "creds" by sparring, grappling, competition, etc. without getting into fights. I am not advocating fighting for the sake of fighting, I'm just making a point. Don't feel bad if you never get in a fight. Just train the way you would to prepare for a real fight just in case.

#169239 - 07/20/05 01:27 PM Re: How many real fights? [Re: shoshinkan]
shoshinkan Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: UK
I have had a dozen or so, serious situations in the real world.

I didnt win them all, but my martial arts certainly helped me survive.A few of these were very serious.

I draw on this small expieirence in my training and feel it assists me to teach effective self defense.

I also competed alot in my younger days, semi contact, continuos and knockdown style. Of the three the knockdown was by far the most usefull for street application IMO, seriously toughens you up!

www.shoshinkanuk.blogspot.com

#169240 - 07/20/05 01:40 PM Re: How many real fights? [Re: Intrepidinv1]
Neko456 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Midwest City, Ok, USA
I think it depends on what you call a fight or a conflict.

As a bouncer, guard or police officer I wasn't really trying to hurt the guys or women but they were and it was very real. A lot of counter, control and detain/arrest sometimes with help sometimes mono. Too many to count.
Help won't stop u from geting a black eye or busted lip. I've seen some and heard Officers tell of some pretty bad a$$ whipping they took, so its real. And you live with the nightmare of someone whipping your butt and shooting you with your own gun. So its Real.

Mono Mono fights/attacks were definitely real even though some only lasted a second or less then a minute. And then the skilled challenges that have taken 3-10 minutes to get any advantage. Or the Gang fights with and without weapons when I was alot younger that took 2-15 minutes, actually combat but seemed to last hours. Muggings and Strong arm robbery attempts for just being in the wrong place.

Or the a$$ kicking I gave the older guys that use to whip me when I was young and untrained, that tried to do it once trained and older. It usually never lasted long. More a conflict then a fight.

Testing or proving that my Art worked many, many times actually Mono Mono or Multiple attacks defense 20 or 30 times, probably.

Many more before training I lost a bunch of them and won some, most to older guys some girls, when I was 5-10 yrs old. Girls are stronger then boys at that age, at least thats the excuse I use to tell myself.LOL.

After training having the confidents to walk away or ignore a challenge are some of my biggest victories, many, many times, 1 time it stopped a set up shooting attempt on my life.

Once trained I've never liked street fighting, but if pushed in deep water what do U do?

Shioshinkan - I enjoying hearing about successful or survival tactic using the MAs. Some peopel don't thinks its possible and there are a number of trained and Untrained that question is it possible only the few that have tasted their own blood and brought forth others really know what streetfighting is all about. Recently on this forum there was 15 yr old young man questioning how could trained MA say how they can defend themselves based on his vast knowldge of street fighting? See how little faith some people have in the Arts.

As for Martial Artist that have never had a street fight I know a few guys that after sparring with them and taking them there. I know they could handle themselve on the street. Some peopel you don't have to dunk them to know they can get wet. Its nothing like being there and doing it but skill is skill and power is power. There's still a "What IF" but its a darn little "if". IMHO.

Edited by Neko456 (07/20/05 03:30 PM)

#169241 - 07/20/05 01:59 PM Re: How many real fights? [Re: Neko456]
Leo_E_49 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: California
Nada, zilch, nil.

#169242 - 07/20/05 02:04 PM Re: How many real fights? [Re: Neko456]
MAGr Offline
Veteran

Loc: London, home: Athens
I ve been only in a very few fights, and those ere before I started MAs. I dont really care about fighting, we take our training as realistic as we can without actually breaking bones and trying to knock each other unconscious. I could handle myself before learning MAs so I m not really bothered about using it in an altercation.
I m not too sure about the weapons disarming though, I d still try anyway if I had too.
I would not run away from a situation unless it involved weapons, or the possibility of weapons; otherwise I would try to diffuse it, and if that didnt work then we ll see. But generally I m not too bothered about things so I dont get annoyed very easily.
Unless its via screens, then for somereason stuff gets to me

#169243 - 07/20/05 02:33 PM Re: How many real fights? [Re: MAGr]
Neko456 Offline
Professional Poster

Magr - Thats were Me and U are different in some of the multiple attacks, muggings and strong arm robbery attempts after I dispatched the 1st or 2nd guy that touched me or in range I RLH. Even if they all were on the ground, Usually they didn't try to hard or didn't want to catch me.

I will run with all these numerous stripes down my belt in class and 20+ years of training I will RUN!!! There is no pride in my Game. I only want to keep training and living. I train to run for stamina but it comes in handy getting to my car quickly also.

You sound like a brave young warrior. U won't run from anything.

Leo-49 I don't know what you sound like Mork in Mork & Mindy? Leo young chap Please share so near calls then.
Oh I get it you were saying none, not any , zero.
Being bi-lingual takes some deciphiering if you just a southern boy, LIKE ME.

Edited by Neko456 (07/20/05 03:35 PM)

#169244 - 07/20/05 03:39 PM Re: How many real fights? [Re: Neko456]
Zezima Offline

Loc: Wales, Uk
I've had a few fights, im turning 16 in august 21 I haven't really lost a fight but never really won neither, this guy in primary school when i was like 9 wanted to fight me but I didnt even though i have a real bad temper (or so what people say), he claimed to have "knocked me out" coz i walked away, he pulled me around and punched me in the lip(it turned black), he saw that i lost my temper then and he ran like mad, even though i was quicker than him i somewhat let him get away coz mayb i was afraid id really hurt him even though i dont think i could at the age of 9, so as his "gang" taunted me about I "lost" 1 fight *sigh* I feel like i came on top and was proud of myself, my other fights was just exchanging punches til we called it a day, usually just a fight with my friends, i've never had a fight with someone i never really knew.

Edited by Zezima (07/20/05 03:41 PM)

#169245 - 07/20/05 04:17 PM Re: How many real fights? [Re: Zezima]
Neko456 Offline
Professional Poster

Excellent control for a hot tempered 16 yr. old. You seem quite confident for one so young. YOu see people that lack confidence will let other taunt them into doing something they would rather not.

Stay strong, young Warrior. Do you train?

#169246 - 07/20/05 04:44 PM Re: How many real fights? [Re: Neko456]
Zezima Offline

Loc: Wales, Uk
I am gettin fit ( as i haven't played football for 1 year now), and strong then i will take up Wing Chun.

Page 2 of 13 < 1 2 3 4 ... 12 13 >

Moderator:  Cord, Dedicated1, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga