FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 30 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
BUJU, Pilsungkarate, ALF, old1, Leonar
22928 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Ronin1966 3
futsaowingchun 2
ergees 2
GojuRyuboy13 2
cxt 1
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
I spy kata bunkai..
by GojuRyuboy13
10/29/14 08:28 AM
Judo 2014 World Championships Juniors: The Gallery
by ergees
10/25/14 04:53 PM
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by Leo_E_49
01/24/12 02:58 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by
05/13/07 08:02 AM
Recent Posts
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/29/14 10:01 PM
I spy kata bunkai..
by GojuRyuboy13
10/29/14 08:28 AM
Judo 2014 World Championships Juniors: The Gallery
by ergees
10/25/14 04:53 PM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
10/22/14 07:20 AM
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by swordy
10/11/14 09:21 AM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ronin1966
10/08/14 09:22 PM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by AndyLA
10/04/14 10:20 AM
Forum Stats
22928 Members
36 Forums
35584 Topics
432513 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 ... 12 13 >
Topic Options
#169227 - 07/20/05 11:38 AM How many real fights?
Intrepidinv1 Offline

Loc: NC, USA
There seems to be a lot of various types of characters and martial artist on board here with a lot of opinions. I have a question, how many real fights have you been in? I don't want to argue if this is good or bad or that it's something to be proud of, etc. For whatever reason, it might be work related (bouncer, police officer, etc.) or it might be because you hang out and get drunk. But how many real fights have you been in?

#169228 - 07/20/05 12:03 PM Re: How many real fights? [Re: Intrepidinv1]
Ironfoot Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: St. Clair Shores, MI USA
Probably 25 - 30, but the last one was when I was 18. It was a good 'un, too. I'm not counting a one-punch KO when I was in the Army.

I had a few opportunities as an adult, but alternative were found. Perhaps the word "adult" says it all.

#169229 - 07/20/05 12:05 PM Re: How many real fights? [Re: Intrepidinv1]
Bushi_no_ki Offline
Veteran

Loc: POM, Monterey CA
I've only been in a few real fights in my life, and only had a few close calls. People in this area aren't really all that into fighting as it is, and we only have a few punks here and there who occasionally think they're going to start something, until someone shows a willingness to fight back.

#169230 - 07/20/05 12:08 PM Re: How many real fights? [Re: Intrepidinv1]
SANCHIN31 Offline
Former Moderator

Loc: Arkansas, U.S.
The majority of my fights were in school. I don't know an exact number,but I would say around 30. Since then I've had 7 fights and I didn't start any of them. The last fight I had was several years ago. I use to hang out with a rough crowd,but soon learned that was not the way to go.
I've had several ma related challenge matches and only lost once.
I don't like fighting and prefer to be nice and avoid them nowadays. The situation could present itself at anytime,but it's how you react that predicts the outcome.
Avoidance of dangerous situations and awareness is the key.

#169231 - 07/20/05 12:33 PM Re: How many real fights? [Re: Bushi_no_ki]
Intrepidinv1 Offline

Yes, I don't think that most people outside of police work, bouncing, security and military have the need to fight very often. However, I chose this topic area because it says, "exploring the potential for violence outside the training area" on the heading, so I feel it is an appropriate topic.

I recall taking an Aikido class from a guy that told me that he had never been in a real fight in his life. We did this little pushing drill and he fell over. I think people that have, "been there and done that" have more credibility on the topic of self defense. Certainly, those that have numerous sporting matches, such as boxers, wrestlers, judo, bjj, etc. have this same sort of credibility. However, just being a black belt in some art and never applying it in combat really doesn't hold as much water. It's just a matter of opinion. I just don't think someone should walk around with there chest blowed out because the have a black belt.

#169232 - 07/20/05 12:47 PM Re: How many real fights? [Re: Intrepidinv1]
SANCHIN31 Offline
Former Moderator

I don't think someone with a blackbelt should represent theirself as a fighter or superior. The belt only signifies where they are in their training from when they started.
Just because someone has a blackbelt doesn't mean they can fight.Nor should they have to prove anything just because they hold rank. Or do I have to take the SAT every few months?

#169233 - 07/20/05 01:09 PM Re: How many real fights? [Re: SANCHIN31]
Intrepidinv1 Offline

No one has true prove anything to anybody. If you were going to take a course in "surviving a gun fight" would you rather take it from a guy that spent a year in Afghanistan with the special forces, SEAL, etc. or a guy they was a champion pistol shooter but had never been a real gunfight?

Before I started martial arts at the tender age of 15 I had been humiliated in several self defense, bully type situations. However, after starting martial arts I have never been defeated in a real fight. I did get my bells rung one time when a guy hit me about 3-5 times before I could get into the fight good but I came back and eventually he was arrested. I got a busted lip out of the deal. I have lost boxing matches, grappling matches, etc. so I'm not saying I'm undefeated. Most good bjj guys tap me out. All I'm saying is that on the street, in self defense situations which number around 20 or so I've never been defeated. I don't say this to brag. No, I'm saying it to say that my training in the martial arts has brought me through a lot of tough situations and I'm glad. I'm also grateful to my former Sensei's, instructors and sparring partners. I'm also glad I put a lot of hard hours into training by myself as well.

#169234 - 07/20/05 01:13 PM Re: How many real fights? [Re: Intrepidinv1]
Crash Offline
Buckle up!

Loc: Ontario, Canada
17 years old never been in a fight. Usually I think it's a good thing but some times I feel left out like in this particular thread.

#169235 - 07/20/05 01:15 PM Re: How many real fights? [Re: Intrepidinv1]
pathfinder7195 Offline

Loc: T.C Michigan, U.S
About 8 by the time I was 19. From 20 to now(33) two real fights and four encounters that ended very quickly.

Kevin

#169236 - 07/20/05 01:19 PM Re: How many real fights? [Re: Intrepidinv1]
SANCHIN31 Offline
Former Moderator

Quote:

No one has true prove anything to anybody. If you were going to take a course in "surviving a gun fight" would you rather take it from a guy that spent a year in Afghanistan with the special forces, SEAL, etc. or a guy they was a champion pistol shooter but had never been a real gunfight?

Yes,but we're talking about ma here. Not everyone takes it for the same reasons. Some do sport/tournament and some just for a workout. Not everyone wants to be the best streetfighter they can.

This threads gonna bring out alot of VTG's.

#169237 - 07/20/05 01:21 PM Re: How many real fights? [Re: Crash]
shoshinkan Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: UK
Sounds like you are learning your art well ! Dont get hung up on it, fighting is for fools really, pride and ego.

however you must be aware of the possability and train hard, you will deal with it when and if it happens.

www.shoshinkanuk.blogspot.com

#169238 - 07/20/05 01:21 PM Re: How many real fights? [Re: Crash]
Intrepidinv1 Offline

Crash,

Please don't feel this way. As I've said, most people don't really need to get into fights. Police, military, bouncers, etc. would have more opportunities to test their knowledge. You can get you "creds" by sparring, grappling, competition, etc. without getting into fights. I am not advocating fighting for the sake of fighting, I'm just making a point. Don't feel bad if you never get in a fight. Just train the way you would to prepare for a real fight just in case.

#169239 - 07/20/05 01:27 PM Re: How many real fights? [Re: shoshinkan]
shoshinkan Offline
Professional Poster

I have had a dozen or so, serious situations in the real world.

I didnt win them all, but my martial arts certainly helped me survive.A few of these were very serious.

I draw on this small expieirence in my training and feel it assists me to teach effective self defense.

I also competed alot in my younger days, semi contact, continuos and knockdown style. Of the three the knockdown was by far the most usefull for street application IMO, seriously toughens you up!

#169240 - 07/20/05 01:40 PM Re: How many real fights? [Re: Intrepidinv1]
Neko456 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Midwest City, Ok, USA
I think it depends on what you call a fight or a conflict.

As a bouncer, guard or police officer I wasn't really trying to hurt the guys or women but they were and it was very real. A lot of counter, control and detain/arrest sometimes with help sometimes mono. Too many to count.
Help won't stop u from geting a black eye or busted lip. I've seen some and heard Officers tell of some pretty bad a$$ whipping they took, so its real. And you live with the nightmare of someone whipping your butt and shooting you with your own gun. So its Real.

Mono Mono fights/attacks were definitely real even though some only lasted a second or less then a minute. And then the skilled challenges that have taken 3-10 minutes to get any advantage. Or the Gang fights with and without weapons when I was alot younger that took 2-15 minutes, actually combat but seemed to last hours. Muggings and Strong arm robbery attempts for just being in the wrong place.

Or the a$$ kicking I gave the older guys that use to whip me when I was young and untrained, that tried to do it once trained and older. It usually never lasted long. More a conflict then a fight.

Testing or proving that my Art worked many, many times actually Mono Mono or Multiple attacks defense 20 or 30 times, probably.

Many more before training I lost a bunch of them and won some, most to older guys some girls, when I was 5-10 yrs old. Girls are stronger then boys at that age, at least thats the excuse I use to tell myself.LOL.

After training having the confidents to walk away or ignore a challenge are some of my biggest victories, many, many times, 1 time it stopped a set up shooting attempt on my life.

Once trained I've never liked street fighting, but if pushed in deep water what do U do?

Shioshinkan - I enjoying hearing about successful or survival tactic using the MAs. Some peopel don't thinks its possible and there are a number of trained and Untrained that question is it possible only the few that have tasted their own blood and brought forth others really know what streetfighting is all about. Recently on this forum there was 15 yr old young man questioning how could trained MA say how they can defend themselves based on his vast knowldge of street fighting? See how little faith some people have in the Arts.

As for Martial Artist that have never had a street fight I know a few guys that after sparring with them and taking them there. I know they could handle themselve on the street. Some peopel you don't have to dunk them to know they can get wet. Its nothing like being there and doing it but skill is skill and power is power. There's still a "What IF" but its a darn little "if". IMHO.

Edited by Neko456 (07/20/05 03:30 PM)

#169241 - 07/20/05 01:59 PM Re: How many real fights? [Re: Neko456]
Leo_E_49 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: California
Nada, zilch, nil.

#169242 - 07/20/05 02:04 PM Re: How many real fights? [Re: Neko456]
MAGr Offline
Veteran

Loc: London, home: Athens
I ve been only in a very few fights, and those ere before I started MAs. I dont really care about fighting, we take our training as realistic as we can without actually breaking bones and trying to knock each other unconscious. I could handle myself before learning MAs so I m not really bothered about using it in an altercation.
I m not too sure about the weapons disarming though, I d still try anyway if I had too.
I would not run away from a situation unless it involved weapons, or the possibility of weapons; otherwise I would try to diffuse it, and if that didnt work then we ll see. But generally I m not too bothered about things so I dont get annoyed very easily.
Unless its via screens, then for somereason stuff gets to me

#169243 - 07/20/05 02:33 PM Re: How many real fights? [Re: MAGr]
Neko456 Offline
Professional Poster

Magr - Thats were Me and U are different in some of the multiple attacks, muggings and strong arm robbery attempts after I dispatched the 1st or 2nd guy that touched me or in range I RLH. Even if they all were on the ground, Usually they didn't try to hard or didn't want to catch me.

I will run with all these numerous stripes down my belt in class and 20+ years of training I will RUN!!! There is no pride in my Game. I only want to keep training and living. I train to run for stamina but it comes in handy getting to my car quickly also.

You sound like a brave young warrior. U won't run from anything.

Leo-49 I don't know what you sound like Mork in Mork & Mindy? Leo young chap Please share so near calls then.
Oh I get it you were saying none, not any , zero.
Being bi-lingual takes some deciphiering if you just a southern boy, LIKE ME.

Edited by Neko456 (07/20/05 03:35 PM)

#169244 - 07/20/05 03:39 PM Re: How many real fights? [Re: Neko456]
Zezima Offline

Loc: Wales, Uk
I've had a few fights, im turning 16 in august 21 I haven't really lost a fight but never really won neither, this guy in primary school when i was like 9 wanted to fight me but I didnt even though i have a real bad temper (or so what people say), he claimed to have "knocked me out" coz i walked away, he pulled me around and punched me in the lip(it turned black), he saw that i lost my temper then and he ran like mad, even though i was quicker than him i somewhat let him get away coz mayb i was afraid id really hurt him even though i dont think i could at the age of 9, so as his "gang" taunted me about I "lost" 1 fight *sigh* I feel like i came on top and was proud of myself, my other fights was just exchanging punches til we called it a day, usually just a fight with my friends, i've never had a fight with someone i never really knew.

Edited by Zezima (07/20/05 03:41 PM)

#169245 - 07/20/05 04:17 PM Re: How many real fights? [Re: Zezima]
Neko456 Offline
Professional Poster

Excellent control for a hot tempered 16 yr. old. You seem quite confident for one so young. YOu see people that lack confidence will let other taunt them into doing something they would rather not.

Stay strong, young Warrior. Do you train?

#169246 - 07/20/05 04:44 PM Re: How many real fights? [Re: Neko456]
Zezima Offline

Loc: Wales, Uk
I am gettin fit ( as i haven't played football for 1 year now), and strong then i will take up Wing Chun.

#169247 - 07/20/05 09:39 PM Re: How many real fights? [Re: Intrepidinv1]
McSensei Offline
Veteran

Loc: Kent, England
Lost count.
Most while drunk.
Most lost.
There's a lesson there.

Haven't swung a fist in anger this century.
Haven't needed to.

#169248 - 07/21/05 03:04 AM Re: How many real fights? [Re: McSensei]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Loc: Cambridge UK.
Too many.

#169249 - 07/21/05 03:55 AM Re: How many real fights? [Re: Intrepidinv1]
nekogami13 V2.0 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Texas, USA
Quite a few, all work related.
"Won" all of them, have some scars from a couple-including a nickel sized bite scar on my forearm.

#169250 - 07/21/05 03:59 AM Re: How many real fights? [Re: Intrepidinv1]
Chanters Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Manchester, UK
Quote:

We did this little pushing drill and he fell over.

I'm sorry but what would you have preferred him to do?Throw you? Get you in a wrist lock? If it was a "pushing drill" it sounds like it was a practice of taking balance and it seems like he fell to indicate that you got his balance and was being a bit compliant. That is not to say he'd drop to the ground like a sack of spuds if he was nudged by an aggressor in a real situation.

To assume that someone who has had no fighting experience will not fair well in a real life encounter is IMO not quite valid. There are instances where people with no MA training at all have fended off would-be attackers and also well trained MA who have been attacked by thugs, muggers, drunks and lost. I believe we(MA's) do have an 'edge' to those who don't practice MA but I don't believe we're immune or invincible to succumbe to an non trained attacker. That would be naive.

Quote:

I recall taking an Aikido class from a guy that told me that he had never been in a real fight in his life.

Maybe the aikidoka has worked on developing his zanshin or samadhi? Being able to avoid confrontation and know when there's potential danger and act accordingly seems wiser than knowing that you could get some bjj guy to tap out from an arm lock in the dojo or beat a guy in the boxing ring.

I do agree with black belt opinion though.

#169251 - 07/21/05 04:37 AM Re: How many real fights? [Re: Chanters]
funstick5000 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: West Yorkshire, England
1 or 2 fights. nothing serious but the worse was a kid (about a foot shorter than me) seemed pretty intent on punching me in the face as many times possible. never tasted a street-fight and frankly i don't want to.

#169252 - 07/21/05 06:57 AM Re: How many real fights? [Re: funstick5000]
Intrepidinv1 Offline

I have a lot of stories I could tell but I don't want to put everyone to sleep. Most of my stuff is job related but there has been a few incidents in my younger life that was not.

I did deter one guy just from the stance that I took. He was being aggressive but changed his mind when I shifted my weight into a more assertive stance. He looked me over and said okay, let's just forget this ever happened. He had initiated the whole problem anyway.

#169253 - 07/21/05 10:12 AM Re: How many real fights? [Re: nekogami13 V2.0]
Neko456 Offline
Professional Poster

Boy That sounded like a scrap, nickle size plugs being bite out of your arm, man he didn't want to go to jail and must have been drunks as hell. Or didn't know about the trip to the hospital or the trip up the elevator to the jail cell.
Almost sounds worst then a knife attack.

I'm glad they didn't just eat you up, its some crazy people out there. I've been bite mostly on the thigh, back of hand and fingers. The thigh bite left the nastiest bruise the others I was able to shake before they really clamped down.

#169254 - 07/21/05 11:17 AM Re: How many real fights? [Re: Neko456]
globetrotter Offline
does unto others before they do unto him

Loc: ny usa
I had the pleasure of being in my local emergency room last saturday night (nothing earth shattering, just my son with a little blood in his urine and we didn't know why). there had to be a half dozen bar fights represented in the ER, with more members of my local law enforcement agency than I really knew there were, guarding them. a lot of kids with abrasions and loose teeth.

really pathetic.

I haven't really been in anything that could be called a fight that I can remember, since the military when I had a few scrapes. I have used violence several times, while on duty, in the military and after (while being involved in security) and I have been involved in a number of attmepted muggings and attempts from others to use violence towards me. I can't think of any time, as an adult, when I faced another adult man and squared off and started fighting.

#169255 - 07/21/05 03:15 PM Re: How many real fights? [Re: Neko456]
nekogami13 V2.0 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Texas, USA
We had a disagreement-I was convinced he was going to go to jail,he was sure he was not. As we debated this, he was overcome with zeal and clamped down on my forearm(only part he could reach)and pulled his head back while still clamped on to me. So I responded to his enthusiasm as any reasonable peace loving individual would-I hit him as hard and as fast as I could in the face.

Eventualy he saw things my way.

#169256 - 07/21/05 08:52 PM Re: How many real fights? [Re: globetrotter]
Intrepidinv1 Offline

I had the blood in the urine thing when I was about 15. I was riding a bicycle, boxing and training alot then. Went to the doctor, Nothing came of it, now more problems. Hope your son turns out the same way on this that I did.

#169257 - 07/21/05 09:23 PM Re: How many real fights? [Re: Intrepidinv1]
CatnPhx Offline

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
I've been in way too many. I'm 42 yrs old now but my last fight was when I was 18 ... I fought 3 guys (and won). That fight taught me a big lesson on losing my temper. A car with dark windows cut me off after a football game and flipped me off. I pulled him and his 2 friends out of his car and crushed them. After the fight, I thought about what could have happened if they had a gun or if the guys were huge.

I've come close several times but either backed myself out or the other guy backed down. My fighting started young because my dad always told me that if I thought there was going to be a fight that I should throw the first punch. I took me several years to figure out when a fight was actually going to occur. Experience is golden.

#169258 - 07/21/05 09:30 PM Re: How many real fights? [Re: CatnPhx]
Intrepidinv1 Offline

I hope you didn't bust to many noses because you thought a fight was about to start. I really hope you were right most of the time or there's a lot of guys out there that got hit for no reason, poor guys.

#169259 - 07/21/05 09:48 PM Re: How many real fights? [Re: Intrepidinv1]
globetrotter Offline
does unto others before they do unto him

Loc: ny usa
thanks intrepid, he seems to be alright.

#169260 - 07/21/05 09:55 PM Re: How many real fights? [Re: SANCHIN31]
Gar Offline

Real fights...Out of class and not sparing. I'm a pasifist in nature, but when something strikes me wrong, morally, I step in.
Fight with a novice.........three times-Didn't pick on me again LOL
Fight with with some experience......only once-We liked it so much we became friends and he join the school where I was.
Fight with an experienced martial artist.....twice-Both went well. We complimented each other on our techniques! LOL
Fight against the group of people...only once-and it was bad...for both sides. They were good for boxing, but not too well for streetfights and hand to hand. I actually won that fight, not that I should call it that as I gained too much pride in the end. The fight was justified, but their actions weren't as honorable as mine. Lost a so-thought friend in that one.

Essentially, there is no real winner in a fight. So, what I just said was meaningless...LOL
I just hope I don't have to get into many more fight as some people have on this site. I hate fighting.

#169261 - 07/21/05 10:41 PM Re: How many real fights? [Re: Intrepidinv1]
Chen Zen Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Ms
30-40 give or take a few.

#169262 - 07/22/05 12:48 AM Re: How many real fights? [Re: Intrepidinv1]
CatnPhx Offline

Quote:

I hope you didn't bust to many noses because you thought a fight was about to start. I really hope you were right most of the time or there's a lot of guys out there that got hit for no reason, poor guys.

Well, let's put it this way. I didn't hit anybody that didn't have it coming. BUT, I did hit several that really didn't need to be hit. I too feel sorry for them as well but what can you do ... we were kids.

#169263 - 07/22/05 10:17 AM Re: How many real fights? [Re: CatnPhx]
cks_cropper Offline

Im 18 and havent been in a single fight. Hopefully will never be. I train for fun and fitness, not to beat people.

thanx
CKS

#169264 - 07/22/05 01:04 PM Re: How many real fights? [Re: CatnPhx]
Intrepidinv1 Offline

Catn, I was just having a little fun. I could just picture some poor guy reaching up to pick his nose and you nail him because you thought he was getting ready to make a move on you. It sounds like you were pretty certain a fight was imminent before you struck. Actually, I agree with that policy. Try your best to avoid it, try to talk it down, try to reason and if that don't work, BAM! put them down.

#169265 - 07/22/05 09:05 PM Re: How many real fights? [Re: Intrepidinv1]
CatnPhx Offline

Quote:

Catn, I was just having a little fun. I could just picture some poor guy reaching up to pick his nose and you nail him because you thought he was getting ready to make a move on you. It sounds like you were pretty certain a fight was imminent before you struck. Actually, I agree with that policy. Try your best to avoid it, try to talk it down, try to reason and if that don't work, BAM! put them down.

That's a good one ... fake nose pick. There were a few times I'm sure I came across as a bully but several were unavoidable as a kid. I certainly wasn't going to let someone try to pick on me ... so I'd beat on them, regardless of size.

#169266 - 07/22/05 10:03 PM Re: How many real fights? [Re: CatnPhx]
SANCHIN31 Offline
Former Moderator

Catnphx,
You've got to be one of the best VTG's we've had in a while.Keep it up.

#169267 - 07/22/05 10:38 PM Re: How many real fights? [Re: Leo_E_49]
ButterflyPalm Offline
Enigma

Loc: Malaysia
Quote:

Nada, zilch, nil.

Yeah, you need to get a government permit first to start a pillow fight in Singapore

#169268 - 07/22/05 10:57 PM Re: How many real fights? [Re: SANCHIN31]
CatnPhx Offline

Quote:

Catnphx,
You've got to be one of the best VTG's we've had in a while.Keep it up.

What's a VTG? Are you going for the old fake nose pick (as I clich my fist)?

#169269 - 07/22/05 11:40 PM Re: How many real fights? [Re: CatnPhx]
SANCHIN31 Offline
Former Moderator

Virtual Tough Guy. Making claims of fighting prowess such as the ability to whoop three people or of any size.It's ok,I am entertained.

#169270 - 07/23/05 12:01 AM Re: How many real fights? [Re: SANCHIN31]
CatnPhx Offline

Quote:

Virtual Tough Guy. Making claims of fighting prowess such as the ability to whoop three people or of any size.It's ok,I am entertained.

How could I be a VTG? I haven't gotten in a fight in 25 years!!! I'm old and fat now.

Claims are all we have on a message board. I wouldn't be so quick to discount claims ... one never knows but it's really not important. I'm not trying to entertain or brag to people I don't know, just trying to provide insight. Whether one chooses to believe the claims or not is not important but they do help provide an individual's perspective.

#169271 - 07/23/05 12:50 AM Re: How many real fights? [Re: SANCHIN31]
Intrepidinv1 Offline

Sanchin since I don't know you I'm not going to make any assumptions about your martial abilities. However, I would strongly caution you against assuming that all tales are trumped up. You never know where someone has really been or their life experiences. I promise you that every story I've ever told on here was true. It's dangerous to assume that just because you have not lived certain experiences that others have not.

#169272 - 08/04/05 06:08 AM Re: How many real fights? [Re: Intrepidinv1]
hugo Offline
Elvis Sharkey

Loc: I am not going to specify that...
I've only been in a few fights but I won them all. The most impressive was when I was 5 and 5 people tried to gang bash me and I turned and punched each one of them until they ran away. I was an ass when I was 5. I threw a guy into a pole for calling me an idiot. I'm still a loose cannon but at least I can fight well now. All that Judo wasn't for nothing.

#169273 - 08/04/05 07:13 AM Re: How many real fights? [Re: hugo]
Gavin Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Southend, Essex, UK
I think it really depends on what you class as a fight. I've been doing doorwork (bouncing for want of a better term) for about 3 and 1/2 years now and the number of what I would call acutal fights I've had is probably only 4 maybe 5 at the most. I don't really think alot of the throw outs you do as a bouncer count as fights. Most of the time people aren't trying to fight you per se, just trying to stop you get them out of the venue. Even when people are swinging at you, your not actually trying to fight them back, and usually there's a couple of you trying to drag and restrain the guys. You don't tend to keep your job or your liberty too long if you fight back.

#169274 - 08/04/05 09:17 AM Re: How many real fights? [Re: ButterflyPalm]
Leo_E_49 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: California
Quote:

Quote:

Nada, zilch, nil.

Yeah, you need to get a government permit first to start a pillow fight in Singapore

Lol, yeh things work differently elsewhere don't they? My permit hasn't been processed yet. What am I supposed to do with all these pillows in the meantime?

Edited by Leo_E_49 (08/04/05 09:20 AM)

#169275 - 08/05/05 02:58 AM Re: How many real fights? [Re: Leo_E_49]
ButterflyPalm Offline
Enigma

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Nada, zilch, nil.

Lol, yeh things work differently elsewhere don't they? My permit hasn't been processed yet. What am I supposed to do with all these pillows in the meantime?

Send them to Oldman; get him to draw something on them and start another auction

#169276 - 08/08/05 03:20 AM Re: How many real fights? [Re: Intrepidinv1]
Belnick Offline
Veteran

Loc: SWEDEN
lol, never counted, could be 50, could be 100 :P

I have no clue how many fights I have been involved in

#169277 - 08/08/05 01:05 PM Re: How many real fights? [Re: Belnick]
SANCHIN31 Offline
Former Moderator

Belnick,
You are being 'punished' because of your consistent ability to break the forum rules,not for posting too much.

#169278 - 08/09/05 01:34 AM Re: How many real fights? [Re: SANCHIN31]
Belnick Offline
Veteran

I tried to count yesterday, I remeber my first fights and I remeber the end fights and some fight there inbetween and some where I have damaged my self in away, but I could not get a number, think it is weird those pl that can, do u have a list or something, a kill bill list :P

sanchin banshin:

like you are doing now by posting only off topic and say nothing at all to the thread ?

#169279 - 08/09/05 05:30 PM Re: How many real fights? [Re: CatnPhx]
Neko456 Offline
Professional Poster

He didn't say he didn't believe you. He said he was entertained, so am I. Tell us more break one of the fight down why? where? how many? what techniques were used? Did you get hit any or hurt any? Whats is your most consisitance series of strikes or moves? Inquiry minds want to know??

If we are sharing lets hear it.

#169280 - 08/09/05 08:04 PM Re: How many real fights? [Re: Neko456]
SANCHIN31 Offline
Former Moderator

Yep. I am still being entertained by this thread. There are people I believe when it comes to fights on here,Cord and Belnick come to mind. they lay down the facts of what happened without sounding super tough or heroic.
I sometimes feel like sharing fights I've had,but I can't without feeling like a virtual tough guy,which I am not.
I liked the kid who posted his fight vs, 5 others when he was 5yrs old or something.
Keep em coming if it's your thing.

#169281 - 08/10/05 02:51 AM Re: How many real fights? [Re: SANCHIN31]
DizzyDogg6803 Offline

You asked for it Sanchin31.

This one time, I was walking home, I got jumped by 6 guys. All of them had to be at least 200 pounds. IM NOT KIDDING! Anyways, All 6 of them jumped me. BAM, BAM, BAM, I sent three of them flying about 10 feet with my ultra powerful 1080 degree spinning crescent kick. Another one of them came at me, boy was he in for the surprise of his life. BANG, I drilled him with my Super Side kick. It knocked him straight through a brick wall that was about 20 feet away. The other two ran off in absolute terror!

Actually, being serious, i've never been in a fight in my life. Hopefully i'll never be in one. If I did, I would never post it because honostly(not to offend anyone), I would just feel really stupid posting it on a forum.

Edited by DizzyDogg6803 (08/10/05 02:55 AM)

#169282 - 08/10/05 04:38 AM Re: How many real fights? [Re: DizzyDogg6803]
ButterflyPalm Offline
Enigma

I was really going for it hoping its all true and then you spoil it all by saying it's not true

On the bright side, you'll do well as a manga writer / illustrator though

That 1080 degrees kick is pure genius.

#169283 - 08/10/05 05:50 AM Re: How many real fights? [Re: SANCHIN31]
Gavin Offline
Professional Poster

Quote:

I sometimes feel like sharing fights I've had,but I can't without feeling like a virtual tough guy,which I am not.

I really find this bit hard, how not to sound like a complete a$$ when describing practical experiences. Can I ask what is about Cord and Belnick that you find honest? I am in no way casting any doubt on their honesty, just to use them as examples of people who can tell about their encounters in a believable way.

#169284 - 08/10/05 09:29 AM Re: How many real fights? [Re: Gavin]
shoshinkan Offline
Professional Poster

Yeah why dont you believe me Sanchin31 !!!!!!!!!!!!

Victum number 13 or so.

#169285 - 08/10/05 11:02 AM Re: How many real fights? [Re: shoshinkan]
SANCHIN31 Offline
Former Moderator

Quote:

Yeah why dont you believe me Sanchin31 !!!!!!!!!!!!

Victum number 13 or so.

What,this?

Quote:

I have had a dozen or so, serious situations in the real world.

I didnt win them all, but my martial arts certainly helped me survive.A few of these were very serious.

I draw on this small expieirence in my training and feel it assists me to teach effective self defense.

I also competed alot in my younger days, semi contact, continuos and knockdown style. Of the three the knockdown was by far the most usefull for street application IMO, seriously toughens you up!

I beleive it. No details in there like "then I smashed the other guys face while bla bla bla"

Nothing not to beleive in your story.

#169286 - 08/10/05 11:05 AM Re: How many real fights? [Re: SANCHIN31]
shoshinkan Offline
Professional Poster

Consider yourself safe for a while then Sanchin31........... LOL LOL

#169287 - 08/10/05 11:09 AM Re: How many real fights? [Re: Gavin]
SANCHIN31 Offline
Former Moderator

Quote:

Quote:

I really find this bit hard, how not to sound like a complete a$$ when describing practical experiences.

Exactly,it feels weird and sounds dumb to me. Even if they are completely true. I find it hard to type in the details without sounding like a moron.

Quote:

Can I ask what is about Cord and Belnick that you find honest?

They've both been on here a while,are very big,and just list the facts.Belnick has even posted pictures of the weapons he carries and seems to have no conscious. Cord is a great guy and wouldn't lie to us.

#169288 - 08/10/05 01:03 PM Re: How many real fights? [Re: SANCHIN31]
Neko456 Offline
Professional Poster

I feel that I can tell when people are not telling the truth and I can tell when I'm talking to a seasoned fighter and a guy that just got lucky (bump chest and the fight was stopped) or has been in a couple of scrapes and held his own. Theres a confident level in how he explain his part and theres not alot lot why it happened, even if the writting or language is broken.

Theres nothing like being there seeing it happen, and I know there is always two sides of a story, but I can only hear one side at a time. I find the the guy that can tell his story or has a one to tell more informative then the guy that will says, "That could never happen we live in a civilized world now". I mean speak for yourself, read the paper, turn on a police scanner, come back partying after 3:00am stop to get gas as a 7-11 on the wrong part of town.
I can get into the same if not worse trouble as I did when I was a teen if I hung out in the same area. Sounds stupid for a 40+ yr. old guy but when I drive by the old neighborhood I see classmates their still doing the same thing.

It depends if & where you go out at night and sometimes it just comes to You.

I enjoy hearing that the Martial works for all you hard training guys, I mean you have Prey and you have Predators, being aware and training decides which We are. MHO.

Belive it or Not.

#169289 - 08/10/05 02:02 PM Re: How many real fights? [Re: SANCHIN31]
DizzyDogg6803 Offline

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I really find this bit hard, how not to sound like a complete a$$ when describing practical experiences.

Exactly,it feels weird and sounds dumb to me. Even if they are completely true. I find it hard to type in the details without sounding like a moron.

This is exactly how I feel. If I ever did get into a fight, I definitly would not post it on here just for those reasons alone.

#169290 - 08/10/05 03:25 PM Re: How many real fights? [Re: DizzyDogg6803]
Neko456 Offline
Professional Poster

So you won't be reading these type Questions? Or do you guys logon to read how other Martial Artist sound like morons because they were force to protected/defend themselves when attacked. Hell why be ashame of it, you can't erase it might as well get it out of your system.
Now I won't talk about it in person unless the person saw it and wanted to ask question.

Some people need to know this stuff Works. I can't tell you the young and old people that has asked, Can you really fight using the Martial arts? What if the guy comes at you punching really hard? Or I can't imagine letting some guy hit me, to hit him back harder. Who's gonna let somebody hit them in a real fight?????

Even in the people that don't reply with a past event, I learn from, the people that say, I don't believe that happen or that anybody can or should fight back. I learn that we all come from different parts of the world, and expect and have experience that reality.

Edited by Neko456 (08/10/05 03:28 PM)

#169291 - 08/10/05 03:32 PM Re: How many real fights? [Re: Intrepidinv1]
harlan Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Amherst, MA
What is a 'real fight'?

#169292 - 08/10/05 04:23 PM Re: How many real fights? [Re: Neko456]
DizzyDogg6803 Offline

Quote:

So you won't be reading these type Questions? Or do you guys logon to read how other Martial Artist sound like morons because they were force to protected/defend themselves when attacked. Hell why be ashame of it, you can't erase it might as well get it out of your system.
Now I won't talk about it in person unless the person saw it and wanted to ask question.

Some people need to know this stuff Works. I can't tell you the young and old people that has asked, Can you really fight using the Martial arts? What if the guy comes at you punching really hard? Or I can't imagine letting some guy hit me, to hit him back harder. Who's gonna let somebody hit them in a real fight?????

Even in the people that don't reply with a past event, I learn from, the people that say, I don't believe that happen or that anybody can or should fight back. I learn that we all come from different parts of the world, and expect and have experience that reality.

I dont think you, or anybody else on here are morons. Like I said before, I dont mean to offend anybody, this is just how I feel.

I dont think less of anybody that has posted a story on here. In fact, I enjoy reading some of the stories. I would just feel weird doing it myself.

As Sanchin31 was saying though, I can definitly see how some of the stories make people look like VTG's. Whether they are trying to or not, it is hard to post a fight without looking like one.

#169293 - 08/10/05 04:34 PM Re: How many real fights? [Re: Neko456]
SANCHIN31 Offline
Former Moderator

Quote:

So you won't be reading these type Questions? Or do you guys logon to read how other Martial Artist sound like morons because they were force to protected/defend themselves when attacked.

Oh,don't be so defensive. I didn't say anyone here was a moron. I said I would feel like one if I tried to describe past fights.

Almost all of the situations you described can be avoided. I don't hang out in bars or on the street til' 3a.m. etc...
I realize things happen,but most can be avoided.

#169294 - 08/10/05 05:27 PM Re: How many real fights? [Re: SANCHIN31]
Neko456 Offline
Professional Poster

I found your sega of the friend gone bad a great story and a wise decision not to use the gun, after dumping him on his head, he left it alone. It seems the manly art of self defense worked for You.

I'd rather feel like a moron then be the guy dumped on my head, Predator or Prey my friend.

Personally I don't see nothing moronic about answering the question have you ever been in a street fight?

Now what sound like a moron to me is saying yeah I like to street fight, but I always get my a$$ kicked. If you don't know get some training, ask somebody.

I'm not defensive, I'm always proactive, I like postive responce not negative, I Can't, It work work for Me, I'm scared I might get hurt. Dump them on their a$$, even if they were your friend, $hit happens.

I like that!!!

#169295 - 08/10/05 06:15 PM Re: How many real fights? [Re: Neko456]
shoshinkan Offline
Professional Poster

Actually i think posting about these things can be a little difficult, as i said before I have had about a dozen incidents, I didnt win them all.

In fact I was badly damaged on 2 occasions and thinking about those is difficult at best, let alone writing about them on the forum, thats why i tend to keep things a little generall, but im confident enough on here to talk relativly open and freely, but not everyone is.

I actually beleive most people unless they give me reason to doubt their word, I like to hear other martial artists expierience posative or negative, one day it might help me out of trouble.

#169296 - 08/10/05 08:09 PM You got it! [Re: Neko456]
SANCHIN31 Offline
Former Moderator

Ok Neko,you win. At the risk of embarassing myself I'll tell you guys about a fight I had.

It was in 1993 in a restaurant I worked in. I was a cook and there was a guy who was a bully,he was 26 and bigger than me by 75lbs(guessing),I'm 31 now.
He always picked on everyone in the kitchen including hitting,pushing,and knocking people down along with constant ridicule.
One day it was the wrong day! I had worked 10hrs and he came in yelling at me(he was the head cook). I said "Lance,why don't you just shutup?!" He charged me and shoved me back several feet into a wall,hard.He had me pinned with his hands and said "NOBODY tells ME to shutup!!!" then he turned around to walk off and I completely lost my marbles and told him "Hey,Lance.Shut the hell up!" He turned and charged again only this time I just started hitting him over and over until he fell. Then a couple of co workers grabbed each of us.He was still on the ground and I started stomping his head.They let us go and he charged again.I managed to get him in a headlock and grabbed a 12" butcher knife and held it to his throat. Then suddenly I came to my senses and dropped it. Everyone includung him just stood there staring at me as I was trembling in tears.
We were fired ofcourse. A couple of years later I saw him in a store parkinglot. He just walked past and said "How's it going Brian?"

I felt terrible for what I did or could have done due to me losing it. I have no excuses and am not proud,but there it is.

#169297 - 08/10/05 08:25 PM Re: You got it! [Re: SANCHIN31]
shoshinkan Offline
Professional Poster

#169298 - 08/11/05 12:39 AM Re: You got it! [Re: SANCHIN31]
Cord Offline
Prolific

What is it about chefs that make them think behaving like aggressive primadonas makes them seem more like temperemental 'artistes'?

Nice illustration of how good ol fashion anger plays a part in every encounter. i have never understood the whole 'do not get angry, it will defeat you before the oponent' kind of stuff you here. IMO anger is how you channel the adrenaline dump into something you can use, the trick is to maintain control whilst angry, I have never seen anyone punching or being punched in the head who had a serene beatific smile on their face, seen it plenty as a result of concussion after the fact, but not during

I wouldnt feel too bad about what you did, if decking this guy didnt end the fight, then the threat of escalation with the knife did, and without any further harm. All you did was put a piece of metal near his face- better than kicking him unconscious on the floor. Its Just perception that makes it seem worse.

#169299 - 08/11/05 01:42 AM Re: How many real fights? [Re: SANCHIN31]
Belnick Offline
Veteran

Quote:

I felt terrible for what I did or could have done due to me losing it. I have no excuses and am not proud,but there it is.

but did it not feel great to just let go ?

Quote:

Belnick has even posted pictures of the weapons he carries and seems to have no conscious.

I would not say I don't have a conscious :P
I can determine what is right and what is wrong, I just don't care much of the time, but I do care :P
it is not like I am a psychopath

#169300 - 08/11/05 09:15 AM Re: You got it! [Re: SANCHIN31]
Neko456 Offline
Professional Poster

We'll it seems that you do have a wild side, when you get mad you lose it. Its a good thing you caught yourself, maybe instead of shut up, you needed to warm him, like the Marvel's Green Giant.

Trust Me you don't want to get Me angry. Really you don't.

Anyway everything turned out well, which mean you did everything right. You opened a can of whip a$$ on him and corrected his bad disposition with you, did it change for everybody or just U he respected?

Giving him his prop, he was a tough a$$ dude to get up after being stomped in the head.

#169301 - 08/11/05 09:18 AM Re: How many real fights? [Re: Belnick]
Neko456 Offline
Professional Poster

I can determine what is right and what is wrong, I just don't care much of the time, but I do care :P

Belinck I don't believe you, get a straight jacket for this guy. LOL. Control/concisious it's what separate us from the animals that would put knifes to anothers throat, right Sanchin31? LOL

#169302 - 08/11/05 11:06 AM Re: How many real fights? [Re: Neko456]
SANCHIN31 Offline
Former Moderator

Quote:

Control/concisious it's what separate us from the animals that would put knifes to anothers throat, right Sanchin31? LOL

I was 19 or 20 and I hadn't had very much ma training. Like I said I completely lost it. Haven't lost it like that since nor would I want to.
The guy had me on edge alot and just pushed too far.
I wish it could have happened different,but it's a learning experience.

#169303 - 08/11/05 11:49 AM Re: How many real fights? [Re: SANCHIN31]
Neko456 Offline
Professional Poster

In hindsight we all would want to do things differently. But it comes back to that ole clinche, He ordered $$it, you eat $$it. Sometimes you gotta kick a$$ and take names.

You have nothing to be apologetic about, he learned a good lesson that day.

Edited by Neko456 (08/11/05 11:50 AM)

#169304 - 08/11/05 05:12 PM Re: How many real fights? [Re: Neko456]
Belnick Offline
Veteran

Quote:

Belinck I don't believe you, get a straight jacket for this guy. LOL. Control/concisious it's what separate us from the animals that would put knifes to anothers throat, right Sanchin31? LOL

u dont belive that I can determine what is right and what is wrong or that I I can't decide if I can decide what is right or wrong or that u don't belive me that I do care ?(it is late and I wanna go to bed: )

what makes you better than a wolf ? or a dog, or a cat ? etc... ?
humans is just another animal, a pathetic animal walking on this earth, but we destroy this earth, they dont

no, I take a wolf as companion over a human anyday(if he want me hee)

never tried a straight jacket, would be cool just to feel how it was

#169305 - 08/11/05 05:23 PM Re: How many real fights? [Re: Belnick]
Neko456 Offline
Professional Poster

Strange fairly deep thought for one that would like to try on a straight jacket, is that your path of lest resistance.

A lot of cops feel the same way about a K9 partner over a human, but mostly because this K9 partner would not hesitate to give his life for his partner. How many of us could do this, plenty that would say they would but when the rubber meets the road, very few that would. IMO.

Stay clear of white vans, with guys wearing white jackets.

#169306 - 08/12/05 01:39 AM Re: How many real fights? [Re: Neko456]
Belnick Offline
Veteran

haha

just saying it would be a nice experiance, and then try to pull a mel gibson(it is him that excape from a jacket like that in one those those movies?)

and I have allways seen fourlegged animals superior to man
btw that does not mean I hate hunters :P, only if they hunt something it is not hunting season on

#169307 - 08/12/05 01:59 AM Re: How many real fights? [Re: Belnick]
SANCHIN31 Offline
Former Moderator

Quote:

just saying it would be a nice experiance, and then try to pull a mel gibson(it is him that excape from a jacket like that in one those those movies?)

Yes, "in the movies" being key here.

Quote:

btw that does not mean I hate hunters :P, only if they hunt something it is not hunting season on

Um,that's nice. In the end it's what we think that really matters.

In the meantime,let's try and keep on topic.

Did the guy deserve what I did to him? He had broken bones in his face from the hitting and stomping ya know.
Also what do you think you would have done in my situation?

#169308 - 08/12/05 05:56 AM Re: How many real fights? [Re: SANCHIN31]
Belnick Offline
Veteran

Quote:

Quote:

Yes, "in the movies" being key here.

Quote:

Um,that's nice. In the end it's what we think that really matters.

In the meantime,let's try and keep on topic.

Did the guy deserve what I did to him? He had broken bones in his face from the hitting and stomping ya know.

I would not have remebered alot of it if I flew into a rage
and u did not answer my question about it...

and yea it is in a movie, that is why it would be fun to test in reality!

#169309 - 08/12/05 10:27 AM Re: How many real fights? [Re: Belnick]
SANCHIN31 Offline
Former Moderator

Quote:

but did it not feel great to just let go ?

No,it didn't feel great at all.

#169310 - 08/12/05 11:32 AM Re: How many real fights? [Re: SANCHIN31]
Neko456 Offline
Professional Poster

The same thing, pending how mad I was at him, the knife thing maybe not, don't sound like he even got clean punch in on you, why were U so Mad, it wasn't because you were hurt phyiscally. I guess you had just had enough of his mouth. Its hard to say, some people can just [censored] you off. Maybe that was the straw that broke the camels back.

I like to wrist & elbow lock (stomach down) with my foot down across heel on his shoulder-ball of foot on his head, just to restrain him so he can't get up. Of course this after decking him a little mexican hat dance.

Now U got us armchair Quarterbacking, he deserved a beat down, the way you did it was adequate except for the knife, if he resisted more do U think you would have cut his throat? I mean I can't see how you could have explained it in court.

Luckily it never came to that, but I bet he thought you were 1 Crazy Mother. I give him this he was a tough ole coot, and sorta manly, he took that a$$ whipping like a man and didn't go crying to press charges. What coudl he say, "I mean I grab this guy and threw him against the wall, then he opened a can of whipp a$$ on me, broke my face & PUT A KNIFE TO MY THROAT!!!!". Some people will go to the cops with this weak a$$ stuff. You got lucky, legal wise.

You hit pretty hard and precise otherwise.

Edited by Neko456 (08/12/05 11:36 AM)

#169311 - 08/12/05 01:44 PM Re: How many real fights? [Re: Neko456]
SANCHIN31 Offline
Former Moderator

Quote:

Maybe that was the straw that broke the camels back.

Exactly, this bullying went on for nine months! He had previously shoved me,smacked the back of my head,and he punched one younger guy in the kitchen. The knife thing was because I lost it/went overboard.
The owner/boss of the restaurant sat me down afterwards. He explained that he wasn't going to call the police if neither of us wanted to press charges,gave me some nice severance cash and told me it had been a long time coming for Lance,but he thought the knife thing was a bit much.

#169312 - 08/12/05 02:50 PM Re: How many real fights? [Re: SANCHIN31]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Shame the boss didnt have the stones to deal with Lance's behaviour before it came to a head.

Belnick and I seldom agree on stuff, but I have to say that reacting to provocation/assault has never left me feeling guilty or remorsefull in the aftermath. i know full well that any guy who i have hit has put me in a situation where I had no other choice, in a way they get what they want, just often not the outcome they had hoped/planned for.

You turned the other cheek for 9 months, then broke his other cheek as a plan B. Seems perfectly reasonable to me, and as for the knife, well $hit happens when you are angry, but no one got hurt by it, and in scaring yourself you have instilled an emergency cut off point that has prevented you from going that far in the years since it happened. That is a valuable learning experience, not assault with a deadly weapon IMO

#169313 - 12/07/05 11:22 AM Re: How many real fights? [Re: Cord]
dud Offline

I think that focusing SD in fighting instead of Avoidance is a serious problem in the Martial Arts Community everywhere.

I am a good street survivor, and I am proud to have survived many bad moments. But I am not a fighter at all even though I practice Martial Arts! I have fought very little because I know how to avoid!

Besides, Violence is more than Street Fighting: is child abusing, terrorism, rape, etc. The Preadators seek victims. Mostly they attack defenseless people. like Tierry Paulin in France who murdered old women, etc. The concept of Fighting as the essence of SD lets outside of the SD spectrum precisely to the persons that are more propense to suffer violence: the weaker people, not the athletic martial artist!

Here go some of my own experiences, the ones that I remember now.

When I was very, very child (like 6-7 years old), an abusser tried to kidnapp me in a line of students. I was the last one, and was holding the hand of another kid. The man told me: 'C'mon Kid that I am going to take you to the Beach' and grabbed my wrist pulling it.

Luckily enough, I have never been a fan to the beach, so I resisted and my other partner helped me, until the Teacher watched behind and saw the show. Incredibly, she rebuked ME instead of the guy, who left inmediately and was never captured. Nobody had never taught me about 'Resisting strangers', I didn´t know such persons could exist. I did it just because of instinct.

Today when I think that if the guy would have told me 'Let us go to the Cartoons' and holded my hand more softly, and if he´d have smiled to me and be less imperative, I would have SURELY gone with him, I feel chillings, because after reading what people like Bundy, Gacy and others can make to innocent persons, I think that I could become one victim then. This makes me tremble. Besides, I have a kid...

Will my kid fight somebody like Edmund Kemper, for example? Or it is better to teach him awareness.

I have fought, yes. But when I was in the school I lost ALL my fights . I remember too when I was 16, without any knowledge yet in martial arts. I was in a party and made visual contact with a stranger. Bad idea. The guy was an ex con, he was with his pal, they were with the tank full of Maria and Huana, and minutes later, the two bubbas were trying to literally kill me... I confess that I experienced them the tipical Startle response or Hypervigilance, because I saw everything in slow motion (Tachy psichia) and could do absolutely nothing to avoid it. Only my friends saved me this night. After this I started my martial arts training.

Already trained I have fought, yes. And won all easily, BUT against stupids of class C, not class A criminals. Is a different thing!. If I won it was because of my good luck and because they were only stupid jerks (and I was more fool than them, because I fought), guys which Today I would invite to a beer to calming them down.

I have used martial arts 5 times. Physically I did it well. But only once I was acting in legitimate Self Defense, the other 4 times I started the hole stuff and was a little abusing. Well, I was a young stupid fellow. Besides I was drunken at these times. Something to think about: heavy drinking brings fighting, so avoid drinking in excess, for your own sake. Even for driving.

Contrary to the chance that the INTERNET gives me of prettending to be a great fighter or something like that, I must make a curious comment: I believe in striking over grappling, but I am so bad that in my adult fights I never threw a punch or a kick!!! All the time I used throws: O Goshi, Irimi Nage and Kokyu, all worked well at those times (some years before). Nevertheless, I remember that in my longest fight (against a weakling, by the way) I tried a Kote Gaeshi (something I can make in the Dojo blindfolded) and when the guy resisted and grabbed my shoulder I did block myself (feed back loop, they call to this) and couldn´t throw him. Luckily I reactioned and could change to a push and another thing. Don´t remember now. But adrenaline affected my finger dexterity, and I couldn´t perform everything I knew (or thought I knew) under the duress of actual attack.

The only real and legitimate physical Self Defense I made was against a wrist grabbing that a drunkard (see what I mean?) put me surprisingly, and after some initial hesitation (he really surprised me!) I made a well executed Nikyo just to make him lose the press. I didn´t hurt him at all. He never understood that a martial technique had been applied to him. He was happy, and me too. This is the only physical incident I am proud of.

All the other times (more than 20 perhaps) my SD was with the mind. Thugs have tried to assault me like 4 - 5 times more (once with hitting weapons, and the other with a dog), and I have never had to fought. Well, it was not assault in progress, they were just STARTING the assault (target selection and street interview) but I didn´t let them complete their mission. Just without showing them fear, with good prevention and scanning of their movement, using the appropriate body language, assertive posture, etc., I dissuaded them to launch the attack and I managed to scape without an exchange of blows. Something I hope to avoid at any cost, by the way.

I remember that in one of the events, I was surrounded by three VERY young fellows (they were over 13 - 15) and the leader had two bottles in each of his hands. I was already an Aikido Senpai, so I did just laugh in their faces and departed through the group (Today I wouldn´t repeat this Kamikaze maniouvre). They were very confused Minutes later they were throwing the bottles anywhere else. I heard the noise. By the way, I couldn`t see clearly what were the other 2 kids carrying, because maybe of the Lighting Effect (your brain concentrates on the main danger, then on the others) and maybe too because of a little of Tunnel Vision and, of course, the darkness. I just could check what their boss had. So in my experience, it is difficult to have global scanning when surrounded, and the main thing to do is avoiding the trap: never let them to close the circle.

I just recommend to everyone avoidance at all costs, and psychological tools for dealing with violence. This is the best way to defend from danger and violence, suitable for everyone, and has worked for me.

I have faced big groups many times, because of insults to women who were with me, etc. Everytime I challenged to fight, and they refused. I don´t know why, but I am sure that I had so much adrenaline shining in my eyes that they understood this would be a bad idea. Interesting enough, only once of the times I was already a trained man, the other (like 6 times!) I was yet untrained. And I scared them to death. Mindset over technique, I would say now.

Once it was more serious, because there was a group of burglars entering a house in front of the church where I was working as a guard. I did advance toward them, and they fled. I had one within touching range, but luckily enough, I didn´t grab him. R.I.P. would be my username now. I was very little trained then, by the way.

Maybe all this was macho bravata. Stupidness. Facing groups alone that way. Again I am a lucky guy! They would have crushed me if they had the courage. But they didn´t. See? Just psychology and I defeated them. They all thought: My, the man is crazy! And they let me alone. Defeat their minds and the body will follow.

So Self Defense is for me mainly good nerves and psychology.This is, IMO, more decisive than learning physical techniques. And to follow the path of Mental Self Defense: preventing, avoiding, de escalating, defusing is Defending himself in such a worth way to admire as with kicking and punching. Being good at this we have many chances to survive, and the persons more propense to attack (elders, childs, women, etc.) have the opportunity that they can not find on a tough training, unavailable for them many times because of age, health, physical shape, etc. Above all a survivor mindset will save their life.

Well, sorry for the long post But I am the best fighter on my city!!!!!!
With my mind
Yours
Dud

#169314 - 12/07/05 01:59 PM Re: How many real fights? [Re: dud]
ChuckM Offline

Loc: Laporte, IN USA
I had a lot of anger (uncontrolled) when I was a kid. Probably why my parents wouldn't let me into a MA at the time. I would say I was probably in 25-30 and to be honest I lost a lot more times than I won. Little kid, big mouth syndrome. Never really started any, just not smart enough to know when to back down.

Since beginning a real martial arts study, I have had 2 encounters that I was unable to avoid. Same attacker. Guess you could say I won both times, but hitting someone square in the jaw slightly off angle did a number on a knuckle. Didn't do his jaw any justice either. Decided then and there that I would find a better way to handle a problem. Haven't had to use anything, except a break fall when I slipped, since and that is something that I am very proud of. That and being able to teach my son how to avoid a confrontation.

#169315 - 01/26/06 04:46 AM Re: How many real fights? [Re: ChuckM]
hugo Offline
Elvis Sharkey

Loc: I am not going to specify that...
I'm 13 and I've only been in one proper fight. It wasn't a serious one but my Judo still really came in useful. Basically a guy tried to mug me downtown and I used Osotogari to throw him and used a strangle on him beforheand (I let him go). I think it's good that young people like myself can feel fairly confident because of the trainign given to them by their Senseis.

#169316 - 02/21/06 08:22 PM Re: How many real fights? [Re: SANCHIN31]
formless Offline

proud to say 2 fights so far(which i dont consider alot, could have been many many more) and i dropped both guys with boxing combos, albeit not without injury to myself.

some situations you can get out of

some situations you can tell a parent guardian or teacher about

some situations require martial action

be prepared.

Edited by formless (02/21/06 08:23 PM)

#169317 - 02/25/06 04:34 PM Re: How many real fights? [Re: formless]
webby Offline

Loc: newton abbot devon
all my fights have ether been with school friends that we have had a miss under standing.

#169318 - 02/25/06 06:48 PM Re: How many real fights? [Re: webby]
McSensei Offline
Veteran

Loc: Kent, England
Cor!!!
This old chestnut still got legs.
I hope I'm doing so well when I get this old.

#169319 - 09/03/06 04:25 PM Re: How many real fights? [Re: Intrepidinv1]
roostergunner Offline
Kentucky Fried Idiot

Loc: My own little world
40+,Never actually counted. I was rather ready to fight,when pushed,but when I almost became a fellon for fighting I had to reconsider.Some people who start fights will "cry wolf" later.The law will most likely be on there side.

#169320 - 09/06/06 03:17 PM Re: How many real fights? [Re: roostergunner]
Stormdragon Offline
Who Dares Wins
Professional Poster

Loc: Salem, OR
I've been in around 3 and then somem inor scrapes and so far I've "won" 2, one by decking a guy in thwe 2nd grade and one in the 8th grade with a knee to the guys head. One multiple attacker situation win I was a 5th grader and took out wond guy (cant remember how) and got beaten by another. These were all before training hard.
Member of DaJoGen MMA school under Dave Hagen and Team Chaos fight team under Denver Mangiyatan and Chris Toquero, ran out of Zanshin Martial Arts in Salem Oregon: http://www.zanshinarts.org/Home.aspx,

#169321 - 10/06/06 01:34 PM Re: How many real fights? [Re: Intrepidinv1]
Mishael Offline
Dragon

Loc: PA USA
I stopped counting at twenty five. How many have I lost? One. I was drunk and arguing with a guy. The bouncer came up from my side, tapped me on the shoulder and when I turned, he sucker punched me and followed with a left cross and a right upcut. I stumbled backwards and was seeing triple. So, I went into a movie style kung fu stance trying to scare him long enough to focus. He hesitated for a second or two and then grapped a chair and started swinging it at me. I eventually made him drop the chair. And, he reached behind himself. I thought he was going for a knife; so, I broke a bottle, but there was nothing sticking out and I had a hand full of broken glass. I broke another bottle and realize he was across the room holding a pistol. A bunch of girls surrounded me and I pretended that they were pushing me out the door as I back pedaled. Once outside, I realized I left my coat inside. I opened the door to go back in and he rushed me. We both threw rights and connected. His knocked me out the door and I was told the next day that he stumbled back and then locked the door till the police got there. The police got statements from everyone and the bouncer continued to yell that he wanted me arested. I discovered by calling him a certain name he would rush at me and the cops would grab him and shove him into the wall. I called him the name about five times with the same results. The cop told him he could arrest us both and I would be out the next day for disturbing the peace and he would be out in a couple of years for attemped murder and assault. So, we both went home instead. The next day, I thought my skull was fractured. I never had a headache like that before or since. The only good thing that came out of it was I returned to martial arts training after about two years of not training. It took longer for my ego to heal than my bodly and head. I'ver never started a fight, but I have thrown the first punch when I realized that the fight was going to happen with or without my defending myself.

#169322 - 10/06/06 01:44 PM Re: How many real fights? [Re: Mishael]
crablord Offline
th3 t4sty sn4ck

Loc: Australia, QLD, GC
mishuel, you got hit by a massive bouncer with 3 hard strikes and all you got was a headache? bruce lee eat your heart out.

#169323 - 10/06/06 01:47 PM Re: How many real fights? [Re: crablord]
crablord Offline
th3 t4sty sn4ck

Loc: Australia, QLD, GC
Oh on the topic, ive been in about 10 real fights, i won about 8. last one was about a year ago.

#169324 - 10/09/06 05:19 AM Re: How many real fights? [Re: Mishael]
Gavin Offline
Professional Poster

Altogether now... deep breath... prepare yourself... V, T, V-T-G, V, T, V-T-G.... etc!

#169325 - 10/10/06 10:45 PM Re: How many real fights? [Re: Gavin]
Stormdragon Offline
Who Dares Wins
Professional Poster

Loc: Salem, OR
Now that I rmemeber I've been in around 6 or so. Last one was a few weeks ago when I got i [censored] off a wannabe cowboy, he tried to wrestle me down, i kneed him in the chest, landed some body blows, and broke his nose with a palm thrust. Another happened where I got i na stance y came at me, threw some blows, and wrestled around. Nothing seriosu though.
Member of DaJoGen MMA school under Dave Hagen and Team Chaos fight team under Denver Mangiyatan and Chris Toquero, ran out of Zanshin Martial Arts in Salem Oregon: http://www.zanshinarts.org/Home.aspx,

#169326 - 10/10/06 11:46 PM Re: How many real fights? [Re: Mishael]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Quote:

I stopped counting at twenty five. How many have I lost? One. I was drunk and arguing with a guy. The bouncer came up from my side, tapped me on the shoulder and when I turned, he sucker punched me and followed with a left cross and a right upcut. I stumbled backwards and was seeing triple. So, I went into a movie style kung fu stance trying to scare him long enough to focus. He hesitated for a second or two and then grapped a chair and started swinging it at me. I eventually made him drop the chair. And, he reached behind himself. I thought he was going for a knife; so, I broke a bottle, but there was nothing sticking out and I had a hand full of broken glass. I broke another bottle and realize he was across the room holding a pistol. A bunch of girls surrounded me and I pretended that they were pushing me out the door as I back pedaled. Once outside, I realized I left my coat inside. I opened the door to go back in and he rushed me. We both threw rights and connected. His knocked me out the door and I was told the next day that he stumbled back and then locked the door till the police got there. The police got statements from everyone and the bouncer continued to yell that he wanted me arested. I discovered by calling him a certain name he would rush at me and the cops would grab him and shove him into the wall. I called him the name about five times with the same results. The cop told him he could arrest us both and I would be out the next day for disturbing the peace and he would be out in a couple of years for attemped murder and assault. So, we both went home instead. The next day, I thought my skull was fractured. I never had a headache like that before or since. The only good thing that came out of it was I returned to martial arts training after about two years of not training. It took longer for my ego to heal than my bodly and head. I'ver never started a fight, but I have thrown the first punch when I realized that the fight was going to happen with or without my defending myself.

YOUR KINDA SILLY AINT YA?

#169327 - 10/11/06 12:00 AM Re: How many real fights? [Re: Stormdragon]
clmibb Offline
Veteran

Loc: South Texas, US
I've been been in two altercations. One was with my older sister and one was a bar back at a local club. My older sister was screaming at me and I tried to go to my room and lock the door. She burst through the door before I had a chance to close it all the way. She continued to yell and scream (she had a violent temper) and she started to threaten me. I told her several times to get out and she wouldn't. She came toward me and I gave one quick front kick to her knee and she left the room crying telling me she was going to tell on me. My parents told me good job and no other mention of it was ever brought up. Now the bar back...It was about 6 years ago and a friend of mine and i were out one Saturday night and the bar back bought us a beer and told the waitress that her was buying for the rest of the night. We told her that we were married and that we didn't want him buying us any drinks. He came over to us and said that he didn't think that two pretty ladies should have to buy their own drinks. We told him thank you but we are married and we can buy our own drinks. We moved sections hoping he wouldn't know where we were. I went to get a napkin at the bar and I saw him coming toward me. I felt a hand graze my butt. I blew it off the first time thinking that it was crowded, maybe just maybe it was an accident. The second time I went to throw a bottle away and I saw him again coming toward me. This time the crowd was MUCH thinner and he could have avoided me. I felt a slap and a grab. I trapped his hand and put him in an elbow lock (don't know the technical name). I escorted to the bouncers and he was fired on the spot. I talked to the manager to get my side of the story and he asked if I wanted a job.

Casey

#169328 - 10/13/06 12:40 PM Re: How many real fights? [Re: clmibb]
5353 Offline

Loc: yongstown
i have been in many real fights . don't know the number but i grew up with 3 older brothers who always kicked the [censored] out of me. i grew up in a rough area and did alot of standing up for myself ( learned alot of that from my bro's). one fightin high school , lost a thumb nail via bite but procceeded to ko him.i'm 34 and have been in one fight since high school. iwas jumped in a bar bathroom by a guy i have never saw before and had no clue why he jumped me but i'm sure he regreted it! i know now that the violence i can bring on someone should only be use as a last resort ie self defense

#169329 - 10/18/06 02:30 PM Re: How many real fights? [Re: 5353]
mark Offline
sword of magnamity

Loc: uk
Never have understood exactly what a “fight” is, probably not a single punch, at least 2 perhaps? Is a shoving match a fight? Is giving someone the “can can” a fight?

Anyway, If you count any real world violent encounter as a “fight” I have been in literally 100s, all but a very few work related, Police , bouncer etc.

Never the same situation twice, never really enjoyed taking a beating much myself, tends to hurts and I often find that bits of me don’t work properly afterwards or even ever again. Had some real kicking’s , waking up in hospital etc….
Not much fun looking down at some one that you have hurt either, the sense of sheer terror that you think you have killed him is the stuff of nightmares, also tends to gain the interest of large groups of Police officers.

Such a strange paradox, training in the MA and NOT enjoying real violence, which of course is as it should be, just weird all those years we train in the hope we will never actually use our skills………. Well I don’t actually have any skills anymore, so im ok.

My new training motto:- Violente signum mentus lassus est

Regards

Mark

#169330 - 10/25/06 07:56 AM Re: How many real fights? [Re: Intrepidinv1]
pacifist Offline

I've sort of been in two fights. Someone pushed me over and then started kicking me. I blocked his kicks but didn't have chance to get up. It was during a game of football and some other kids pulled him off.

Later this big guy (6"3) kicked me in the nose and punched me in the eye so i couldn't see anything.

Both of these were unprovoked attacks were i was jumped.

#169331 - 10/27/06 08:22 PM Re: How many real fights? [Re: pacifist]
Kulma Offline

I got my butkicked few times when I was a kid. After 15 or so I have never been in a fight other than work related. And even then I don´t know if they are realy fights, more like brawls. After all I´m usualy with a mate or mates and I have the law and equipment on my side.
I´ve been offered fights out side of my work too but I gues I don´t have ego problems so I´ve allways got out of those situations with out fysical contact.

#169332 - 10/28/06 10:46 PM Re: How many real fights? [Re: Kulma]
Mishael Offline
Dragon

Cord- Why do you say that. I am 54 years old. I started studying the martial arts in 1966 and have practice continually until 5 years ago when I broke my back and was in a wheel chair for three years. I have had alot of bar fights and street fights. The highest belt I ever earned was a brown belt because every year or two I would move and study another style. My first introduction to the martial arts were the Oyama books. My first instructor was John Korab who was friends with Joe Lewis in the marines; so, I got to meet Mr Lewis when I was about sixteen and learned how to punch from him. I studied Shotokan from Mr Brooks and I studied at George Dillman's school with my two sons for about a year and a half. I am currently practicing krav maga and havanah because I am getting to old and have gotten too fat while in the wheelchair to do high kicks. Thirty or forty fights in forty years isn't that many when you live in rough areas and go to bars. Most of the fights I have been in I hurt the people seriously. I never started a fight and I backed down from one. That was with a relative who was drunk and I didn't want to injure him. He knew martial arts and was younger and I would have had to injure him to win; so, I told him I was too old and fat to fight and being disabled it wouldn't be much of a victory for him. And, his ego was satisfied. I wasn't bragging; I just answered the question truthfully.

#169333 - 10/28/06 11:36 PM Re: How many real fights? [Re: Mishael]
Mishael Offline
Dragon

Obviously, I didn't name all the instructors I have had; however, I realized that I didn't mention Captain Chey of the South Korean Army. He was my instructor in Hue/Phu Bai Vietnam. I had many other instructors some great some not so great. I have beaten black belts in fights. I was afraid to stop beating them because they were much more skilled then I was but couldn't defend against head to the wall. I was always thankful the next day that nobody was killed. I always tried to talk my way out of the fights, but once they made it clear that they weren't going to let me leave without a fight I would attack and keep attacking until they were incapacitated. Then I would leave. Also, three of the fights were where I involved myself in defending a domestic battery situation and they always turned out bad.The law views self defense very narrowly and most of us go beyond the bounds of self defense when forced to fight.

#169334 - 10/29/06 05:54 AM Re: How many real fights? [Re: Mishael]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Quote:

Cord- Why do you say that.....

Because:

Quote:

I stopped counting at twenty five. How many have I lost? One. I was drunk and arguing with a guy. The bouncer came up from my side, tapped me on the shoulder and when I turned, he sucker punched me and followed with a left cross and a right upcut. I stumbled backwards and was seeing triple. So, I went into a movie style kung fu stance trying to scare him long enough to focus. He hesitated for a second or two and then grapped a chair and started swinging it at me. I eventually made him drop the chair. And, he reached behind himself. I thought he was going for a knife; so, I broke a bottle, but there was nothing sticking out and I had a hand full of broken glass. I broke another bottle and realize he was across the room holding a pistol. A bunch of girls surrounded me and I pretended that they were pushing me out the door as I back pedaled. Once outside, I realized I left my coat inside. I opened the door to go back in and he rushed me. We both threw rights and connected. His knocked me out the door and I was told the next day that he stumbled back and then locked the door till the police got there. The police got statements from everyone and the bouncer continued to yell that he wanted me arested. I discovered by calling him a certain name he would rush at me and the cops would grab him and shove him into the wall. I called him the name about five times with the same results. The cop told him he could arrest us both and I would be out the next day for disturbing the peace and he would be out in a couple of years for attemped murder and assault. So, we both went home instead.

So a guy pulls a gun on you, then you go back inside (!?) to find he has very conveniently put the gun away, not to be drawn again when you get back into it. the police arrive, and despite a person drawing a firearm in a public place and aiming it at a group of women and one guy (all of which had witnesses), the police let him go with a stiff warning!? you yourself do not press charges for someone aiming to shoot you?!

If you are gonna tell tall stories, at least think them through and try and make them believable.

Quote:

Thirty or forty fights in forty years isn't that many

I thought you stopped counting at 25? whats next, any advance on 40- 60 with 1 'loss' would sound even more impressive.

I. dont. Believe. You. Its up to you if disbelief of a stranger upsets you or not, its not really my aim, but if you put cr4p into a public area, then the public exposed can call it how they see it.

Thats 'why i say that'

Cord.

#169335 - 10/29/06 03:58 PM Re: How many real fights? [Re: Cord]
Mishael Offline
Dragon

I was fall down drunk the night that happened. The bouncer was also a cop from the next town over (population under 5000). Yes, it was stupid for me to go back in to the bar but I was drunk. Although I lived in several different states, it just so happened that the incident took place here in PA at the VFW. I did stop counting at 25 but I didn't say I only had twenty five fights. People who know me know that if I say something happened, it happened. I can't convince you that it happened, but I can't convince you that my mother had brown eyes either; nor, does it matter to me if you believe me or not. I sky dived, have a pilot license, and belong to Mensa. I was on the dean's list at Penn State for three years. I served in the military for four years. I did a tour in Hue/Phu Bai Vietnam. But, you probably think all that are lies too. If you mattered to me, it would matter that you don't believe me; but, you don't; so, it doesn't.

#169336 - 10/29/06 04:06 PM Re: How many real fights? [Re: Mishael]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Interesting. Police officers in the UK are not allowed to take second jobs without special permission, and even then, never in another line of security work.

You are a member of Mensa, yet run blind drunk into a bar containing a guy with a gun who wants to shoot you. I guess membership criteria is dropping

If a cop has enough to prosecute for attempted murder and assault with a deadly weapon, the offender is never given 'a choice' on if he wants to be prosecuted or not.

like you say, I dont matter to you, but your story has more holes in it than swiss cheese in firing range.

Adios

#169337 - 10/29/06 04:26 PM Re: How many real fights? [Re: Cord]
Chen Zen Offline
Professional Poster

Sic em, Cord!

#169338 - 10/29/06 04:34 PM Re: How many real fights? [Re: Chen Zen]
Mishael Offline
Dragon

Perhaps, I should consider sending my mensa card back. But since the fight was over twenty years ago, I think I will keep it. I don't know anything about the laws in England. I usually made my living training guard dogs or driving tractor trailer trucks, but I have also worked apartment security and bounced when I was between jobs. It can be dangerous work. Richard Grannon I believe is a doorman in England. If you can fight anywhere near his level then you have my respect as well. I don't believe in keyboard wars, they are kind of childish. You are entitled to your opinion.

#169339 - 10/29/06 04:36 PM Re: How many real fights? [Re: Mishael]
Mishael Offline
Dragon

Chen Zen, I feel bad; I don't have any cheer leaders.

#169340 - 10/29/06 07:44 PM Re: How many real fights? [Re: Mishael]
Chen Zen Offline
Professional Poster

Perhaps you're in the wrong sport, or just not a very good player.

#169341 - 10/29/06 09:02 PM Re: How many real fights? [Re: Chen Zen]
Mishael Offline
Dragon

Chen Zen, I am not in a sport. I was referring to you're telling Cord to sic. That would make you either his master or his cheerleader. Have you picked up any dogs by the ears lately. The Bible says that a person who involves himself in another's dispute is like a man that picks up a dog by the ears. Funny how many people do that and are surprised when they are bit. Chen Zen, how many real fights have you had? Or do you just stand around cheering on others?

#169342 - 10/29/06 09:09 PM Re: How many real fights? [Re: Mishael]
Chen Zen Offline
Professional Poster

I know what you were referring. My answer was an anology that roughly meant, tell the truth and people wont call you a liar. You know, change sports, rather than being a competitive liar.

As for Me and Cord's relationship, we're friends and peers. We work together to sniff out bs, like you so blatantly spewed on this thread. I simply commended him for calling you on it. As far as getting bit goes, if thats the extent of your bite then perhaps you should invest in dentures cause i think you just gummed me. As for my answer to the question of fights, my answers up there. Read if you feel like researching someone. Dont be mad because someone sniffed out some BS. Be mad because its you who stinks.

#169343 - 10/29/06 09:22 PM Re: How many real fights? [Re: Mishael]
JKogas Offline
Prolific

Loc: North Carolina
Perhaps it's time this thread should be locked???

-John

#169344 - 10/29/06 09:30 PM Re: How many real fights? [Re: JKogas]
Chen Zen Offline
Professional Poster

I was surprised it lasted this long with all the VTG's around here.

#169345 - 10/30/06 03:02 AM Re: How many real fights? [Re: Mishael]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Quote:

I don't know anything about the laws in England. I usually made my living training guard dogs or driving tractor trailer trucks

And this explains the guy with the gun not being prosecuted how exactly?

Quote:

I have also worked apartment security and bounced when I was between jobs. It can be dangerous work.

can't argue with that.

Quote:

Richard Grannon I believe is a doorman in England.

We have thousands of doormen in Britain, I was one, Gavin is one, McSensei is about to become one (other forum members/moderator). As for 'celebrity' doormen, out highest profile guy would be Geoff Thompson, who has written several best selling books, some autobiographical, others on the nature of violence and self defence. There is also Steve Jones who does a monthly article in MA illustrated called 'Samurai on the door', outside of that there are none with nationaly recogniseable names that I can think of.
Isn't Richard Grannon the cop who fought Kimo, nearly got fired for it, then got a UFC match and got his but kicked- and nearly got fired for it? If so, he is American, and highlights how much trouble a cop would get in for moonlighting as a bouncer and pulling a gun on someone in your movie action scene- er, sorry, 'real life incident'.

Quote:

If you can fight anywhere near his level then you have my respect as well.

the best doormen seldom have to 'fight', they prevent trouble, not react to it, and when it happens we don't throwdown with punters in harms way, we remove the problem as quickly and quietly as possible. Thats how you keep a reputable bar, and a clean criminal record. Its not 'Roadhouse' (besides, I never suited the 'mullet' hair style).
I 'respect' the door crew in places that have a largely trouble free reputation- they are doing the job right. If i here about a crew always fighting and having the police in 4 times per weekend, that is a sure sign that their are issues with their concept of what the job is about.

Quote:

I don't believe in keyboard wars, they are kind of childish. You are entitled to your opinion.

you are right, props for keeping it civil, i have a somewhat blunt manner, so if I offended, its not my real intent. There are lots of kids who come on here with misconceptions of what violence actually is. its important that anything that may influence the life choices of the impressionable be honest, and your story just doesn't ring true to me, sorry.

The fish we catch on holiday have a tendency to gain weight with us over time. maybe this fish got larger over the last twenty years

#169346 - 10/30/06 05:17 AM Re: How many real fights? [Re: Cord]
Mishael Offline
Dragon

Cord, You didn't offend me. I just thought that by telling you alittle about myself, you would see I don't have to make up stories about twenty year old fights to pet my ego. I have plenty of glory stories, but you wouldn't believe most of them either.

I agree that there is not glamourous about violence. I always used violence to over come violence, but I was lucky no one was killed and the worst punishment I received was fines for mutual combat (disturbing the peace).

As you get to know me, you will find that I treat people with respect.

Here it was a common practice for police to work security jobs (bouncers). I don't know if it still is since I stopped drinking seventeen years ago.

My purpose in coming to this forum was to participate in the threads. This one ask how many real fights; so, I answered. I answered truthfully.

I see your point about impressionable posters being negatively impacted by glory stories whether true or not and I do apologize for contributing to that problem.

I didn't wish to highjack this thread; so, I won't.

#169347 - 10/30/06 06:03 AM Re: How many real fights? [Re: Cord]
Gavin Offline
Professional Poster

Quote:

There is also Steve Jones who does a monthly article in MA illustrated called 'Samurai on the door', outside of that there are none with nationaly recogniseable names that I can think of.

Is there? What a git. I bet Dennis Jones is going to be pretty niffed! I mean he writes an article for MAI called Samurai on the Door too. Imagine that, the editor must be pretty bad to allow two columns of the same name in their publication! Wait til I tell Dennis!

Those interested in Dennis's articles you can read them here: http://shikon.com/articles.htm

Folks I'm with John here this is getting very VTG... can we put this to bed now please!

#169348 - 10/30/06 07:11 AM Re: How many real fights? [Re: Gavin]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Quote:

Is there? What a git. I bet Dennis Jones is going to be pretty niffed! I mean he writes an article for MAI called Samurai on the Door too.

So what does Dennis Rowe write about again?

Thanks for the correction amigo

I too think its time to say adios to this thread.

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 ... 12 13 >

Moderator:  Cord, Dedicated1, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga