FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 52 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Shanktotheright, royal, bobgalle100011, agenonline, TooNice
22862 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 3
MattJ 2
Jeff_G 1
Marcus Charles 1
TooNice 1
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
New Topics
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by Marcus Charles
03/24/14 04:39 PM
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Dobbersky
03/20/14 05:45 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
AKK kata question
by
09/04/05 01:27 PM
Recent Posts
AKK kata question
by MattJ
04/04/14 05:45 PM
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Jeff_G
03/30/14 12:44 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by Marcus Charles
03/24/14 04:39 PM
Forum Stats
22862 Members
36 Forums
35546 Topics
432375 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 ... 12 13 >
Topic Options
#169227 - 07/20/05 11:38 AM How many real fights?
Intrepidinv1 Offline

Loc: NC, USA
There seems to be a lot of various types of characters and martial artist on board here with a lot of opinions. I have a question, how many real fights have you been in? I don't want to argue if this is good or bad or that it's something to be proud of, etc. For whatever reason, it might be work related (bouncer, police officer, etc.) or it might be because you hang out and get drunk. But how many real fights have you been in?

#169228 - 07/20/05 12:03 PM Re: How many real fights? [Re: Intrepidinv1]
Ironfoot Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: St. Clair Shores, MI USA
Probably 25 - 30, but the last one was when I was 18. It was a good 'un, too. I'm not counting a one-punch KO when I was in the Army.

I had a few opportunities as an adult, but alternative were found. Perhaps the word "adult" says it all.

#169229 - 07/20/05 12:05 PM Re: How many real fights? [Re: Intrepidinv1]
Bushi_no_ki Offline
Veteran

Loc: POM, Monterey CA
I've only been in a few real fights in my life, and only had a few close calls. People in this area aren't really all that into fighting as it is, and we only have a few punks here and there who occasionally think they're going to start something, until someone shows a willingness to fight back.

#169230 - 07/20/05 12:08 PM Re: How many real fights? [Re: Intrepidinv1]
SANCHIN31 Offline
Former Moderator

Loc: Arkansas, U.S.
The majority of my fights were in school. I don't know an exact number,but I would say around 30. Since then I've had 7 fights and I didn't start any of them. The last fight I had was several years ago. I use to hang out with a rough crowd,but soon learned that was not the way to go.
I've had several ma related challenge matches and only lost once.
I don't like fighting and prefer to be nice and avoid them nowadays. The situation could present itself at anytime,but it's how you react that predicts the outcome.
Avoidance of dangerous situations and awareness is the key.

#169231 - 07/20/05 12:33 PM Re: How many real fights? [Re: Bushi_no_ki]
Intrepidinv1 Offline

Yes, I don't think that most people outside of police work, bouncing, security and military have the need to fight very often. However, I chose this topic area because it says, "exploring the potential for violence outside the training area" on the heading, so I feel it is an appropriate topic.

I recall taking an Aikido class from a guy that told me that he had never been in a real fight in his life. We did this little pushing drill and he fell over. I think people that have, "been there and done that" have more credibility on the topic of self defense. Certainly, those that have numerous sporting matches, such as boxers, wrestlers, judo, bjj, etc. have this same sort of credibility. However, just being a black belt in some art and never applying it in combat really doesn't hold as much water. It's just a matter of opinion. I just don't think someone should walk around with there chest blowed out because the have a black belt.

#169232 - 07/20/05 12:47 PM Re: How many real fights? [Re: Intrepidinv1]
SANCHIN31 Offline
Former Moderator

I don't think someone with a blackbelt should represent theirself as a fighter or superior. The belt only signifies where they are in their training from when they started.
Just because someone has a blackbelt doesn't mean they can fight.Nor should they have to prove anything just because they hold rank. Or do I have to take the SAT every few months?

#169233 - 07/20/05 01:09 PM Re: How many real fights? [Re: SANCHIN31]
Intrepidinv1 Offline

No one has true prove anything to anybody. If you were going to take a course in "surviving a gun fight" would you rather take it from a guy that spent a year in Afghanistan with the special forces, SEAL, etc. or a guy they was a champion pistol shooter but had never been a real gunfight?

Before I started martial arts at the tender age of 15 I had been humiliated in several self defense, bully type situations. However, after starting martial arts I have never been defeated in a real fight. I did get my bells rung one time when a guy hit me about 3-5 times before I could get into the fight good but I came back and eventually he was arrested. I got a busted lip out of the deal. I have lost boxing matches, grappling matches, etc. so I'm not saying I'm undefeated. Most good bjj guys tap me out. All I'm saying is that on the street, in self defense situations which number around 20 or so I've never been defeated. I don't say this to brag. No, I'm saying it to say that my training in the martial arts has brought me through a lot of tough situations and I'm glad. I'm also grateful to my former Sensei's, instructors and sparring partners. I'm also glad I put a lot of hard hours into training by myself as well.

#169234 - 07/20/05 01:13 PM Re: How many real fights? [Re: Intrepidinv1]
Crash Offline
Buckle up!

Loc: Ontario, Canada
17 years old never been in a fight. Usually I think it's a good thing but some times I feel left out like in this particular thread.

#169235 - 07/20/05 01:15 PM Re: How many real fights? [Re: Intrepidinv1]
pathfinder7195 Offline

Loc: T.C Michigan, U.S
About 8 by the time I was 19. From 20 to now(33) two real fights and four encounters that ended very quickly.

Kevin

#169236 - 07/20/05 01:19 PM Re: How many real fights? [Re: Intrepidinv1]
SANCHIN31 Offline
Former Moderator

Quote:

No one has true prove anything to anybody. If you were going to take a course in "surviving a gun fight" would you rather take it from a guy that spent a year in Afghanistan with the special forces, SEAL, etc. or a guy they was a champion pistol shooter but had never been a real gunfight?

Yes,but we're talking about ma here. Not everyone takes it for the same reasons. Some do sport/tournament and some just for a workout. Not everyone wants to be the best streetfighter they can.

This threads gonna bring out alot of VTG's.

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 ... 12 13 >

Moderator:  Cord, Dedicated1, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga