FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 61 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
ksusanc, kellypnik123, leyinn, Ron_Cooley, businns
22902 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 12
cxt 7
trevek 6
JKogas 5
futsaowingchun 2
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/14/14 10:49 PM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/11/14 03:36 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
10 San Sik drills-Wing Chun's foundation
by futsaowingchun
06/30/14 11:20 AM
"Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2" the movies.
by TaekwonDoFan
06/30/14 11:02 AM
Iaido movements speed
by TooNice
04/14/14 01:47 PM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
12/30/13 08:32 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Prizewriter
04/16/12 02:48 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
04/12/12 11:16 AM
Recent Posts
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by cxt
Yesterday at 11:35 AM
centerline concepts
by Dobbersky
07/18/14 06:14 AM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/14/14 04:50 PM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:38 AM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:35 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
07/09/14 06:13 AM
Throwing
by JKogas
07/03/14 07:40 PM
10 San Sik drills-Wing Chun's foundation
by futsaowingchun
06/30/14 11:20 AM
"Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2" the movies.
by TaekwonDoFan
06/30/14 11:02 AM
Forget all that health stuff
by TaekwonDoFan
06/29/14 03:18 AM
Forum Stats
22902 Members
36 Forums
35563 Topics
432450 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#168760 - 07/31/05 08:00 PM Re: Difference between Judo and Ju Jitsu [Re: Christie]
AttorneyJohn Offline

Loc: Houston Texas
The difference between judo and jujutsu is simple. Rules. Not the lack of them or whatever, but how one scoes in one as compared with the other.

Don't worry about taking judo instead of judo. What you learn in one can be easily converted to the other with little more than a mental adjustment.

#168761 - 07/31/05 10:08 PM Re: Difference between Judo and Ju Jitsu [Re: AttorneyJohn]
Fletch1 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Florida
As this is a Judo and Traditional JJ (as oppsed to BJJ) forum, I would suggest that you will need a bit more than a mental adjustment to adapt from JJ to Judo.

Judo to JJ maybe.

#168762 - 07/31/05 10:52 PM Re: Difference between Judo and Ju Jitsu [Re: Fletch1]
thegnome Offline

What defines traditional Jujitsu? Is it the length of time a style has been in use? The country of origin? Is it more emphasis on self-defense techniques vs. sport? In many ways I feel the style of Hapkido I studied is close to traditional JJ, especially since my teacher was also a high ranking Judoka. (At least this is the section of the forum where I feel the most comfortable.) I guess my question is at what point is something traditional vs. not traditional?

#168763 - 08/01/05 01:38 AM Re: Difference between Judo and Ju Jitsu [Re: thegnome]
butterfly Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Torrance, CA
thegnome,

Traditional is as the term implies.

Traditional jujitsu has its origins in styles relating to the teaching of different Samurai arts. These were subordinate to and taught along side weapons arts. These traditional Jujitsu were then connected with different Samurai groups and thus had their own particular styles dependent upon the location of this group.

Traditional styles would include Kito Ryu, Tenjin Shin'yo Ryu (both involved as precursor arts forming Judo); Sosuishitsu Ryu; Daito Ryu (known as a precursor art to Aikido).

Thus, traditional jujitsu is more a specific, historical curriculum associated with lineage to a specific Samuarai group and passed down (more or less) intact and studied in a similar way as it has always been studied.

Compare this to the more modern take on Judo and BJJ with a sport emphasis and an approach that would not generally consider weapons or armour in its study.

Regards,

-B

#168764 - 08/01/05 12:54 PM Re: Difference between Judo and Ju Jitsu [Re: BigRod]
Tant01 Offline

Quote:

Hmmm. Here's a snippet of something I found on the net. Let me know if you think this is accurate:

The entire article can be found here: http://www.bjjfighter.com/History/

I guess if the above is true, then you are correct, because Kosen Judo didn't exist (I'm guessing here) until after Kano's Kodokan Judo had embraced the grappling techniques from Fusen Ryu Jiu-Jitsu.

Hello Big Rod. My name is Raymond G. I have researched the particular contest(s) you are asking about and that (research) includes Coach Tripp's articles on the history of the Kodokan Judo

There are a number of dates floating around the internet as to when the matches actually took place. Some put it around 1906 and 1900 but I think it was more like 1888.

By the turn of the century the Kosen (highschool) Judo was already well established.

http://members.lycos.co.uk/fight/judo/judo.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kosen_judo

"Since Fusen-ryu matches ended in a pin or submission instead of serious injury and it avoided difficult throws, it was easily learned in the school setting. Kodokan Judo had formed great newaza experts. This, along with Kano´s willingness to promote Judo as a way of life and a form of physical education, greatly influenced the face of Judo in it´s early days and helped him promote it in Japanese schools".

Edited by Tant01 (08/01/05 01:06 PM)

#168765 - 08/01/05 02:29 PM Re: Difference between Judo and Ju Jitsu [Re: Tant01]
Tant01 Offline

To add:

It was just 1904 when Mitsuyo Maeda was sent to America and by 1914 Kano had established the "All Japan" high school championships at the Imperial University (Kyoto)

By 1925 Newaza was so popular that Kano changed the rules of competition to emphasize throwing techniques over the more submission focused game...

#168766 - 08/04/05 01:51 AM Re: Difference between Judo and Ju Jitsu [Re: Tant01]
hugo Offline
Elvis Sharkey

Loc: I am not going to specify that...
I'll just reply to any old post. In answer to the original question Judo is selected Juijutsu techniques and Juijutsu rretains kicks and punches as well as more advanced locks and lock throws whereas Judo is only throws, ground locks and strangles. Locks may be attempted on the ground but are not used with throws.

#168767 - 08/04/05 05:26 AM Re: Difference between Judo and Ju Jitsu [Re: hugo]
Mtripp Offline

Quote:

I'll just reply to any old post. In answer to the original question Judo is selected Juijutsu techniques and Juijutsu rretains kicks and punches as well as more advanced locks and lock throws whereas Judo is only throws, ground locks and strangles. Locks may be attempted on the ground but are not used with throws.

Nope, sorry, but the above is just not correct.

The idea of men in armor punching and kicking one another on the battlefield is just silly.

Again, battlefield jujutsu was about getting your arm or arms free to draw your sword. There was a form of grappling in armor, but this was with a tanto (knife). Also some leg trips were there if you clashed" with another swordsman and could then trip him and finish him with the sword.

Unarmed technqiues were not a core part of any jujutsu style until after swords were banned.

However, lacking effective randori or shiai, they were not all that effective until Kano came along.

Traditional Kodokan Judo includes strikes, kicks, joint locks, throwing with a locked joint, and more.

It is the focus on olympic sport that makes people believe differently.

Mark Tripp

#168768 - 08/04/05 07:12 AM Re: Difference between Judo and Ju Jitsu [Re: Mtripp]
hugo Offline
Elvis Sharkey

Loc: I am not going to specify that...
You need to read more carefully. I never said that original Juijutsu did not have throws or anything of the sort.

#168769 - 08/10/05 06:12 PM In my humble novice opinion... [Re: AttorneyJohn]
TimmyBoy Offline
Stranger

Loc: Essex, England
I've tried Japanese Jiu Jitsu and I have to say that I prefer judo, even for self defence. The thing is, being able to fight is about more than knowing X amount of techniques, it's about knowing how to apply them against a resisting opponent. This doesn't go for all JJJ clubs as some are excellent, but a lot of them train their techniques against compliant partners all the time. They can call judo a sport all they like but they fact is that we actually learn to apply what we know.

There's a guy at my judo club who's done BJJ for a couple of years, and his groundwork is really good. However, I'm an MMA guy and I prefer more well rounded training, so judo with its adequate groundwork and far superior clinchwork still gets my vote here.

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, Fletch1, MattJ, Reiki, Taison 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga