FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 31 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
old1, Leonar, ManLar, Vimido, raya
22925 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
futsaowingchun 4
Ronin1966 3
GojuRyuboy13 2
AndyLA 1
Matakiant 1
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Martial News
by Matakiant
09/23/14 06:42 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by Leo_E_49
01/24/12 02:58 AM
Recent Posts
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
Yesterday at 07:20 AM
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by swordy
10/11/14 09:21 AM
The Karate punch
by Ronin1966
10/09/14 03:16 PM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ronin1966
10/08/14 09:22 PM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by AndyLA
10/04/14 10:20 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Forum Stats
22925 Members
36 Forums
35582 Topics
432510 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#168730 - 07/19/05 10:16 AM Difference between Judo and Ju Jitsu
Christie Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Waterloo, ON
Currently I am training in Tae Kwon Do. I intend to continure my TKD traning but also add a grappling art. I love Tae Kwon Do, it really is great, but it isn't going to do me much good when/if I'm pushed to the ground if attacked on the street.

I want to start doing Tae Kwon Do 4 times a week instead of 6 to add Ju Jitsu 2 times a week however there isn't a Ju Jitsu training center close to my university, only Judo. So I wanted to know what the difference between the two is.

Thanks.

#168731 - 07/19/05 10:27 AM Re: Difference between Judo and Ju Jitsu [Re: Christie]
Intrepidinv1 Offline

Loc: NC, USA
Christie,

I've done both to some degree and this is my opinion.

Judo places more emphasize on the throwing techniques than the ground fighting. The ground techniques are almost identical except the bjj guys & girls practice the ground portion to a high degree so they're better at it. Judo is an excellent grappling art, it's what I started with when I was much younger. It has been a strong core of my ability to defend myself on the street as a police officer for 20 years. Don't worry if you don't have a bjj school nearby go for the judo, just work on the ground aspects hard. In one judo class I attended we spent 1.5 hours practicing throws and 30 mintues grappling. Go to a Borders or a Barnes and Nobles and get a good book on judo and one on bjj. Compare the ground fighting techniques - almost the same.

#168732 - 07/19/05 10:30 AM Re: Difference between Judo and Ju Jitsu [Re: Christie]
Neko456 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Midwest City, Ok, USA
Basicailly Jujitsu is the fighting form of Judo the sport, right now Jujitsu has changed in that it once stressed all four ranges but concentrated on on strikes, throws and locks then grappling, if he was still moving.

Now just like Judo it concentrates on Takedowns, Grappling then locking and chokes. Now it still does some of the stand up action but it doesn't stress it as much, due to the UFC or Gracies idea of where the fight should be. It must be noted that Master Helois Gracies, Brother's, Japanese instructor was a Judo player not a Jujitsu fighters.

So in short Judo would work for you since you already study TKD, as a matter of facts your kicks will be better then their Black belts, pending where you are in TKD.

Edited by Neko456 (07/19/05 10:33 AM)

#168733 - 07/19/05 11:55 AM Re: Difference between Judo and Ju Jitsu [Re: Christie]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Loc: Great White North
Hey Christie I'm also taking Taekwondo but am lucky that it is blended with Jujitsu. The ground fighting is my favorite part of my training. We brought in some people from Judo and some of our people went to their classes. Each learning what the other does.

I talked with my instructor several times as well as recently. I talked to him about taking Jujitsu full time ... along with remaining in Taekwondo ... as a cross training but he suggested Judo. He knows I like the ground fighting but he also knows I love the tossing, sweeping and throwing aspects. He knows what I'm capable of and I think I will go with his suggestion. This of course I won't do until I've reached Black Belt (currently red) and am comfortable. And again I will still remain with the Taekwondo.

#168734 - 07/19/05 01:56 PM Re: Difference between Judo and Ju Jitsu [Re: Christie]
butterfly Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Torrance, CA
Christie,

My judo instructor had a fabulous ground game, he even won the heavy weight BJJ Pam Am games held in Domiguez Hills, CA about 2 years ago.

You have to remember that BJJ came from Judo as it was taught to the Gracies by Maeda Sensei. Very similar techniques, though the Brazillians added mucho good stuff to it to make their take on things their own.

In my opinion, it is less what you train, but how you train...though certain arts may address live, reistant, competition training better than others.

Regards,

-B

-B

#168735 - 07/19/05 01:59 PM Re: Difference between Judo and Ju Jitsu [Re: Christie]
BigRod Offline
Does it all

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Hey Christie,

Go to www.judoinfo.com and you'll get TONS of info on Judo, including video and animations of all the Judo techniques.

As for Jiu-Jitsu, I'm not clear on what it is you want to focus on. Classical Jiu-Jitsu covers both stand up and some grapppling, where as Brazillian Jiu-Jitsu (BJJ) is all grapping. Huge difference between the two, so make sure you're clear on which art you want.

Judo primarily focuses on throwing and has a grappling (aka Ne Waza) element to it as well. If you really want to get good at grappling, BJJ (or submission wrestling) should be your first choice, and if that's not available, do Judo.

For info on BJJ, go to www.bjj.org.

#168736 - 07/19/05 02:30 PM Re: Difference between Judo and Ju Jitsu [Re: BigRod]
butterfly Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Torrance, CA
Christie,

I agree with BR's post, generally accurate. I have met Judo people with a good ground game, but not nearly, generally speaking, as good as most BJJ people that I have personally met.

But again, it goes to how they each compete, where throwing is emphasized in Judo.

-B

#168737 - 07/19/05 03:32 PM Re: Difference between Judo and Ju Jitsu [Re: Christie]
Circle_of_Owls Offline

Loc: Austin, Tx, USA
As BigRod mentioned, classical Japanese Ju Jitsu (JJJ) is a stand up art, and includes little ground fighting. It does include all of the grappling, throws and joint locks from Judo and Aikido. However, it is a battlefield-derived style, not a sport, so many of the techniques used will be more brutal than what you might find in Judo.

It is a great compliment to TKD, if you can find a school.

- CoO

#168738 - 07/19/05 04:10 PM Re: Difference between Judo and Ju Jitsu [Re: Circle_of_Owls]
Christie Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Waterloo, ON
Thank you for all of your responses.

After what seems like hours of searching I have found a BJJ dojo close to all three of my university, my Tae Kwon Do dojang and where I live. So thats what I'll be doing then. Even better yet, their class times fit perfectly into my schedule to be able to fit 7 1 hr Tae Kwon Do classes, 1 3hr BJJ class and 1 1.5hr BJJ class.

#168739 - 07/23/05 08:24 AM Re: Difference between Judo and Ju Jitsu [Re: Christie]
kempo_jujitsu Offline
Veteran

Loc: illinois, usa
it is also important what you want to learn, sport or self defense? bjj, if you want self defense, make sure your instructor knows that, because in judo, and sport bjj, you rely on the gi to grab, choke etc...for many of the techniques. but they also have no gi grappling as well, which you can do with a gi on, just dont rely on it to use your techniques.
its also good to understand WHY japanese jujutsu does not contain as much groundfighting as bjj...simply because that is not where you want to be in a fight, in jjj you take down, and end it with a break or something, not roll around looking for a gi choke or armbar to tap out your opponent, you just break the arm and its over, you get back to your feet asap, because their may be more than one assailant.

neko, interesting, because i was told differently, that carlson gracie's instructor was a member of the kodokan, but in its beginning stages before it was really 'judo' it was still jujutsu at that time, and that he was not really a student persay of kano's. but im not positive about it.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, Fletch1, MattJ, Reiki, Taison 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga